Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jeez I'm sorry for congratulating an indie game dev for trying to look different from the sea of other games it will be competing against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
hey jerry what's the deal with these pixel art!!! they look like fossilized poop!!!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

just to keep production costs low.

Some pixel art is good other pixel art is bad the worst is when the reason its pixel art is because of this reason because then it looks bad.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Pixel art is stupid retarded garbage and it all looks like rear end!!!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

ur mom

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

THE PENETRATOR posted:

but enough about your avatar ...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That is awesome.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That does look insanely cool, yes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the crab is cool because its always the only example used and apparently in forty years of pixel art theres only ever been one good sprite

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you can't produce something which compares to the best the medium has ever produced by masters of the craft, don't even bother

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

Psyched to see more and more adventure games on KS. This time it's the weirdly-named Tsioque, from the makers of Tormentum Dark Sorrow.

Tormentum was gorgeous, and this also looks so but in a very different way. Totally backing this.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If you can't produce something which compares to the best the medium has ever produced by masters of the craft, don't even bother

If you people could ever craft a point for BAD pixel art without strawmanning and hyperbole that actually justifies its existence, I would be surprised.

Now tell me objectively why pixel leg, 5 pixel wide, featureless hero that fuckingeveryone made since the time of mcpixel/superbrothers is a better choice than anything that could have been drawn in at least a 16 or 32 pixel wide rectangle. The college kids who made the graphics for the "worst game ever" on the NES did a better job and more work, and I doubt they were making very much on it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Because it's super popular so it can be concluded that lots of people subjectively like it and visual appeal is largely subjective which is the same answer that comes up every time this stupid conversation arises so we're all equally stupid for participating in it. Again.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Let's not forget that the attack on pixel art contained a condemnation of 'spindly-limped' characters, which I can totally get behind. Always hate on stick legs! Unless it's Interstellaria!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DolphinCop posted:

the crab is cool because its always the only example used and apparently in forty years of pixel art theres only ever been one good sprite

Look at this loving doof who's never played an SNK game

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhWXI29ec94

Alright so Project Gorgon, a MMO made by a guy (who produced Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2) and his wife (producer on Asheron's Call, one of the expansions, Everquest 2 and one of the expansions) hit Kickstarter and it's loving great. Personally, I never played Asheron's Call because I was too busy with UO/EQ back when Asheron's Call was relevant but I'm told it's very much like it. Personally, I'd describe it as Ultima Online without the hardcore PVP elements meets Morrowind and Everquest. It's more of a PVE sandbox, but they're still considering how to implement PVP on the forums and it's still an ongoing discussion.

A lot of us in the MMO section have been playing for 6+ months and practically beg this guy for a Kickstarter and it's nearly half funded with 28 days to go. It's playable right now, for free over on http://projectgorgon.com/ . As you may notice, the game isn't exactly a "looker" but the mechanics make up for it and that's where the money is going. The content is already there. It just needs to look better.

It's buy2play with an extremely fair business model. $25 gets you the full game in addition to a month of VIP (worth $9.99) giving minor benefits and currency for the in game cosmetics shop and access to the offline leveling system similar to EVE but requires materials to train your skills. You will also get access to Early Access on Steam where characters won't be wiped. It might be releasing in December of 2016 but it's likely that this will go into beta by the end of this year, and you'll keep that character.

If you're looking for something interesting in the MMO field, check this one out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/projectgorgon/project-gorgon-pc-mmo?ref=video

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Orzo posted:

Let's not forget that the attack on pixel art contained a condemnation of 'spindly-limped' characters, which I can totally get behind. Always hate on stick legs! Unless it's Interstellaria!

Some parts of interstellaria are pretty atrocious artwise

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

This tugs at my old Everquest heartstrings something fierce but seriously. gently caress. No. That looks and plays real, real bad. It's about 10 million steps backward for a modern MMO. It ticks just about every wannabe "How do I make MMO?" checkbox there is, leave no feature behind. I want to see evolution in the space, not regression.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

They're nearly halfway there already so they'll make it. They might also be lowballing things though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Obsurveyor posted:

This tugs at my old Everquest heartstrings something fierce but seriously. gently caress. No. That looks and plays real, real bad. It's about 10 million steps backward for a modern MMO. It ticks just about every wannabe "How do I make MMO?" checkbox there is, leave no feature behind. I want to see evolution in the space, not regression.

But you don't understand, there's this huuuuuuuge untapped niche for Ye Olde Cock In A Grindstone MMO! Someone just has to make The Right One, duh! :v:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Obsurveyor posted:

Looks are deceptive then. Gorgon is great fun, the whole character and atmosphere is done such that it doesn't take itself too seriously. Where else can you pick mushrooms and level up compassion by burying corpses. And the ongoing silly elf jokes are a bonus.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

But you don't understand, there's this huuuuuuuge untapped niche for Ye Olde Cock In A Grindstone MMO! Someone just has to make The Right One, duh! :v:

quote:

If you talk to the stablemaster as a pig, he tells you that while he is willing to house your pets, provided that they cannot talk, he does not trust talking animals and you'd better not try to sneak into the stable pretending to be someone else's pet because he knows what you look like now and he'll recognize you.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Obsurveyor posted:

It's all there for you to play right now and looks are definitely deceptive, I'd argue it's 10 million steps forward considering it's going back to what made MMOs fun before it all became "go the guy with ! above his head and do mundane poo poo for a reward" rinse and repeat about 10,000 times. Modern MMOs are the games that went 10 million steps backwards.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

90s hell-MMOs are the only medium capable of humour, it's true!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm going to pay every months to play a 2000 hour treadmill MMO that looks like distilled arse because of this epic joke about a pigge! :D

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It's all there for you to play right now and looks are definitely deceptive, I'd argue it's 10 million steps forward considering it's going back to what made MMOs fun before it all became "go the guy with ! above his head and do mundane poo poo for a reward" rinse and repeat about 10,000 times. Modern MMOs are the games that went 10 million steps backwards.

Even though MMOs are universally terrible (UO was probably the best one) you are correct and the other guy is wrong by mistaking something coming out afterwards being an evolution.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
project gorgon is actually good and if you don't like it then lol, just lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Eonwe posted:

project gorgon is actually good and if you don't like it then lol, just lol

You have to be an insane idiot to play any mmo

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Truth, but this one is pretty loving awesome. Just play it's free. Kill a spider. Be a spider. Make fried spider legs. Whatever.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Project Gorgon is cool because it's just a bunch of dumb stuff to do in no particular order. It's not this weird streamlined funnel toward "the real game", it's actually a game at every point in the leveling progression. I think the tradeskills are really grindy but the game itself is weird and fun. The first couple pages of this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701175 properly incapsulate the weirdness of the game and why it's delightful.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I appreciate any mmo that doesn't try to clone WoW.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHwof5z6QRY

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Tsioque may not have the smoothest or most detailed art but the game looks charming as gently caress and absolutely nobody makes that style of adventure game any more.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

DolphinCop posted:

I guess Taoplan were kinda the same deal though. Team that spent years learning their craft to make some rather insanely complicated things.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 27, 2015

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm going to pay every months to play a 2000 hour treadmill MMO that looks like distilled arse because of this epic joke about a pigge! :D

That's literally every mmo ever

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I like when de world of warcrust added the pandas and gave them the funny meme dance XD

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Lotophage posted:

That's literally every mmo ever

If you're playing games that remind you of treadmills, you might want to play another game. It's not all "go the guy with ! over his head and do mundane poo poo".

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
all mmos are the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

When you get right down to it, all video games are the same.