Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Someone was killed by a monster truck show accident last year in the Netherlands. There should be a deep ditch between them and the crowd for safety. Just like with dangerous animals at the zoo.

A deep ditch to launch the truck into the crowds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

goodness posted:

A deep ditch to launch the truck into the crowds

At most big show dont they have kill switches built into the trucks so they can shut them down if they go out of control?

I swear I heard that somewhere.

Found it:

Some history for people.
Back in 1992, Grave Digger almost bounced into the stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI01zM_g_Mc

This however paved the way for remote kills and most importantly, keeping a barrier area for the trucks to land in... that saved lives in shows afterward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyb9J3XQ4ik

In the USA anyway, dont know about Mexico.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 25, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

According to the translation of the video description in that Mexican incident, the cameraman believes that the driver was knocked unconscious with his foot on the gas by the impact from hitting the ground.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

VectorSigma posted:

In classic Say Nothing style, this is one where nobody died.

For those that don't give a gently caress, there's this :nms:

Why was that guy running around carrying a pizza right after everyone was run over?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Why was that guy running around carrying a pizza right after everyone was run over?

Think that was a food vendor with a tray, and he apparently takes his job very seriously

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Ekusukariba posted:

Think that was a food vendor with a tray, and he apparently takes his job very seriously

A bunch of people getting run over by a monster truck is a great public spectacle; of course C.M.O.T. Dibbler is going to be there to sell to the crowd.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ol qwerty bastard posted:

A bunch of people getting run over by a monster truck is a great public spectacle; of course C.M.O.T. Dibbler is going to be there to sell to the crowd.

:golfclap:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

According to the translation of the video description in that Mexican incident, the cameraman believes that the driver was knocked unconscious with his foot on the gas by the impact from hitting the ground.

Those ambulance drivers were pissing me off man. Not that I expected a lot from a Mexican monster truck show, but those dudes were loving standing around THE ENTIRE VIDEO.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

VectorSigma posted:

In classic Say Nothing style, this is one where nobody died.

For those that don't give a gently caress, there's this :nms:

Accidente en Extremo

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Those ambulance drivers were pissing me off man. Not that I expected a lot from a Mexican monster truck show, but those dudes were loving standing around THE ENTIRE VIDEO.

From my vacation in Mexico, the paramedics don't give a poo poo at all

Someone had a heart attack in the pool, it took them 20 minutes to arrive, and they basically tossed him in the back and drove off, didn't even bother checking for vital signs

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

You know the only thing worse than getting run over by a monster truck at a show? Laying next to the paramedic who got run over by the same truck.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I am trying to find information an accident at a power plant I've only heard described as "Marietta 5" or "Marietta Unit 5".

Basically they had a turbine and a generator, and a short circuit occurred - I'm not sure if it was near the generator or elsewhere in the power system. But so much torque was developed in the generator it tore off its base and crushed a worker who was unlucky enough to be standing nearby. (I assume that the coupling between the turbine and generator held for too long before snapping, so that probably contributed to the torque developed that tore the generator off its concrete base pad.)

Do you mean Duvha 4?

http://www.therisktoolboxshop.com/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=83701

Didn't kill anyone, though.

Failure was most likely precipitated by electrically isolating the generator while under load - suddenly, up to 600MW of mechanical energy isn't going to a load and spools up the turbine much faster than the steam valves can be closed.

These specifics are about as close as I can find to the case you're talking about.

Edit: another gem

http://www.philamillwrights.com/photos.html

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 26, 2015

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

As an "ambulance driver" myself, I was trying to figure out what was going on with that. There is a problem with having your units already in the middle of the MCI, like this. You really can't do any triage, at all. Basically what happens (and what it looks like in this one) is that bunch of green (walking wounded) people come over to you and basically get in, and then you are committed to them and can't get to the critical people to help them.

In theory, you have all your transport units stage away from the scene, and you have someone on scene triaging people... i.e. "If you can walk, walk over to that guy there." That gets all the greens out of your hair. Then you triage the people left into people you can help and people who are dead. The people you can help get first dibs on each of the incoming transport units, and you probably put two at a time in each rig. Once you get all the Reds, then you do yellows and then greens.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

IPCRESS posted:

Do you mean Duvha 4?

http://www.therisktoolboxshop.com/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=83701

Didn't kill anyone, though.

Failure was most likely precipitated by electrically isolating the generator while under load - suddenly, up to 600MW of mechanical energy isn't going to a load and spools up the turbine much faster than the steam valves can be closed.

These specifics are about as close as I can find to the case you're talking about.

Edit: another gem

http://www.philamillwrights.com/photos.html

That's not it, but :drat: seeing a 600MVA generator and turbine trashed to hell and back! The projectiles blowing through the steel support beams, that's like a howitzer!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANwJp8Z5mc

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

HL3 looking low res

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

youtube commenter posted:

I witnessed this happen on a tire about the same size. Scary as hell. Dude got up off the ground and first thing he did was look to see if he still had hands....He didn't. Just kidding. He did, but it was still scary and the cage was destroyed.

:tipshat:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jesus. :stare:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enRKvjKr7l0

Boom

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

dexter6 posted:

As an "ambulance driver" myself, I was trying to figure out what was going on with that. There is a problem with having your units already in the middle of the MCI, like this. You really can't do any triage, at all. Basically what happens (and what it looks like in this one) is that bunch of green (walking wounded) people come over to you and basically get in, and then you are committed to them and can't get to the critical people to help them.

In theory, you have all your transport units stage away from the scene, and you have someone on scene triaging people... i.e. "If you can walk, walk over to that guy there." That gets all the greens out of your hair. Then you triage the people left into people you can help and people who are dead. The people you can help get first dibs on each of the incoming transport units, and you probably put two at a time in each rig. Once you get all the Reds, then you do yellows and then greens.

Only tangentially related but that reminds me of Jimmy Horton's crash at Talladega in 1993. I actually saw it live on TV when I was 10 and I thought I had just seen a man die on TV. Talladega didn't have a catch fence yet and Horton flipped right over the wall and landed outside the arena, by the parking lot. Emergency services were located inside the arena so they actually had to make their way outside to help him. Jimmy Horton was quoted as saying "You know you're in trouble when the first person to get to you after a wreck is carrying a beer.".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvMV9qLHUiI

(Skip to 1:24 to see the accident)

The messed up thing is that another driver, Stanley Smith almost died in that crash while Jimmy Horton only sprained his ankle. You can see later in the video that when emergency services gets to Stanley Smith's car that at least one of the guys looks really shook up by what he sees inside the car. Supposedly there was just blood everywhere.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 27, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Same sod, two years later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0qH5ZC944k

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I think it's been a long time since this has been posted in this thread.

The Great White Station night club fire.

quote:

The Station nightclub fire was the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, killing 100 people. The fire began at 11:07 p.m. EST, on Thursday, February 20, 2003, at The Station, a glam metal and rock and roll–themed nightclub located at 211 Cowesett Avenue in West Warwick, Rhode Island.

The fire was caused by pyrotechnics set off by the tour manager of the evening's headlining band, Jack Russell's Great White, which ignited flammable sound insulation foam in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. A fast-moving fire engulfed the club in 5½ minutes. In addition to the 100 fatalities, 230 people were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured. Video footage of the fire shows its ignition, rapid growth, the billowing smoke that quickly made escape impossible, and the exit blockage that further hindered evacuation.

A bunch of people died for no good reason because the club had poor fire suppression systems and no real plan or protocols in case of a fire. People got jammed up in the entrance of the club, trying to get out when there were other exits that were either not marked or in the case of the exit next to the stage, had a bouncer refusing to let people through because it was restricted to the band only.

The building was not up to code but had passed recent inspections anyway. The fire started because pyrotechnics that were not meant for indoor use were set off inside the building. The sound dampening foam near the stage area was highly flammable and within only about a minute, the entire club was a raging inferno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY59mR44TLs

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 27, 2015

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

FIRST TIME posted:

I always have this incident in my mind whenever I go to a large, indoor gathering.

The closest exit may not be the door you came in, people.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Remember how escalators are meatgrinders descuised as transportation machinery.

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wedEMxO5AAU:nms:

Nothing graphic can be seen as it has been pixelated, but christ that is nightmare inducing.
Not even here fault like the guy with the ladder. At the very least she could save her son.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FIRST TIME posted:

A bunch of people died for no good reason because the club had poor fire suppression systems and no real plan or protocols in case of a fire. People got jammed up in the entrance of the club, trying to get out when there were other exits that were either not marked or in the case of the exit next to the stage, had a bouncer refusing to let people through because it was restricted to the band only.

The building was not up to code but had passed recent inspections anyway. The fire started because pyrotechnics that were not meant for indoor use were set off inside the building. The sound dampening foam near the stage area was highly flammable and within only about a minute, the entire club was a raging inferno.
I hope that bouncer got charged with a few dozen charges of murder. Jesus Christ.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

I never respected or feared tires until I saw this video. Even today it freaks my rear end out.
:stare:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pohl posted:

I never respected or feared tires until I saw this video. Even today it freaks my rear end out.
:stare:

Seriously, and it just keeps getting worse too. I just saw the gigantic bloodstain for the first time, and felt my skin crawl.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Seriously, and it just keeps getting worse too. I just saw the gigantic bloodstain for the first time, and felt my skin crawl.

Was trying to figure out if that was a bloodstain or not.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Applewhite posted:

Yeah, there is blood everywhere, including that big loving puddle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Applewhite posted:

Yeah, looks like his arm is bleeding when he stands up and then he puts his shirt over the wound.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

dexter6 posted:

I always have this incident in my mind whenever I go to a large, indoor gathering.

Man, I really like Great White so I'm just horrified by that video. That is just so loving wrong and I'm glad the idiot manager involved went to jail.

That said: "The flames were initially thought to be part of the act; only as the fire reached the ceiling and smoke began to billow did people realize it was uncontrolled. Twenty seconds after the pyrotechnics ended, the band stopped playing and lead singer Jack Russell calmly remarked into the microphone, "Wow... that's not good."

Looking back on the crazy poo poo that has happened in my life, I'd probably be all calm, too. Stating; "Well, that sucks", as the world burns.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 27, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Haha, just wait until you have to put air in a tire and your loving scared of the hose because WHAT IF IT BLOWS UP!!!
Seriously, lol. I still get that shiver down my back years later.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

I hope that bouncer got charged with a few dozen charges of murder. Jesus Christ.

Supposedly that bouncer was a drunk and he never got charged with anything.

There's a good documentary about the disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgR3Q4H7fMA

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

dexter6 posted:

I don't care if it makes me a wet blanket. This is the kind of thing that makes me point out to people that we should know what the exits are when we go to a show.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FIRST TIME posted:

I think that it might have been The Onion that opined that the tragedy was not that 100 people died, it was that more than 100 people went to see Great White in the first place.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I think that it might have been The Onion that opined that the tragedy was not that 100 people died, it was that more than 100 people went to see Great White in the first place.

The Onion doesn't generally make bad jokes about the victims of horrible tragedies. You're thinking of some random Twitter shithead.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Wasn't there a similar fire at show disaster that happened in Chicago within the last 10 years or so? IIRC the issue was only 1 exit and the stairs couldn't support the rush of people and collapsed with all of them on it (club was on the fourth floor or something like that).

edit- ugh disregard, I was thinking of the E2 disaster and completely misremembering the details.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 27, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

slomomofo posted:

Wasn't there a similar fire at show disaster that happened in Chicago within the last 10 years or so? IIRC the issue was only 1 exit and the stairs couldn't support the rush of people and collapsed with all of them on it (club was on the fourth floor or something like that).

edit- ugh disregard, I was thinking of the E2 disaster and completely misremembering the details.

Yeah, IIRC the owners got two years for contempt for not following orders from the City to allow no one on the 2nd floor due to building code violations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The train horn gives an nice contrast to emphasize the volume of that boom.

HOOOONK HOOOOOOOOOONK BOOM HOOOOOOOONK

• Locked thread