Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

(because where the gently caress do I buy this poo poo in Canada?

LiftRC.com
Armattanminis.ca/
Canadadrones.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

A Yolo Wizard posted:

You can get that set right now with a plane for $200 (if anyone is interested; the camera is worth $100 by itself

http://www.horizonhobby.com/fpv-vapor-rtf-with-headset-eflu6600

poo poo, $200 and it includes not only the camera (as mentioned, worth 100) but also the fat shark headset?

That seems like quite a deal.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 24, 2015

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
So 180 seems to be a pretty loving fun size for an FPV quad

(Video taken at the beginning of tuning, so there is a bit of high P shakes in this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zIlYSTGDvc

Ended up catching one of the rear props on the ladder but I was almost through! Pretty happy with that considering that on close inspection, there is only about 2-3mm of clearance on either side if you hold the quad inside that gap.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

poo poo, $200 and it includes not only the camera (as mentioned, worth 100) but also the fat shark headset?

That seems like quite a deal.

It's the crappiest FS headset..

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hmm, thanks for the heads up.

While on the subject of that headset, is the "digital head tracking" all :effort: or does it work ok? I like the idea of panning around the camera's wide FOV but I kind of suspect that in practice it's meh.

Kinda crappy or not I might have mashed BUY if it weren't for the fact that I have a headset already.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's the crappiest FS headset..

I bought it anyway.... Now I can take rides with my friends who do the 32ch versus 8ch systems.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions on Canadian sites everyone, however I ended up buying a Turnigy 9x from Hobby King, along with a bunch of other small stuff. Shipping is going to be a pain in the rear end and I'll probably have to pay some dumb import fees on top of that, but the TX I wanted just wasn't available in Canada anywhere that I could find.

Just going to need the LiPos now which I couldn't import into Canada. Those I should be able to get locally anyway though. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out but I'm probably going to try to find some kind of 40C 1300+ 4S if I can.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The telemetry in that blackbox tricopter video of yours, is it the OSD module or made after the fact using data logs and what app?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

The telemetry in that blackbox tricopter video of yours, is it the OSD module or made after the fact using data logs and what app?

I think it's this, and I only know that because I saw a different video on youtube today that had the same viz:

https://github.com/cleanflight/blackbox-tools

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cool, thanks. Part of Cleanflight, it seems. I have the CC3D. :(

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cool, thanks. Part of Cleanflight, it seems. I have the CC3D. :(

you know it runs on cc3d right?

edit: the cc3d even has onboard flash so you can record blackbox directly without a separate logger. i wish i had gotten the full naze32 instead of acro for this reason alone :/

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 24, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I specifically ordered a CC3D from HobbyKing today just to try that out. If I had put more thought into my initial order I could have picked up the CC3D instead of the KK2.1 for free but v:)v

Waiting is going to be the worst part. At this point my body should arrive first so at least I'll have some time to put a bunch of things together before I immediately destroy it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Just going to need the LiPos now which I couldn't import into Canada. Those I should be able to get locally anyway though. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out but I'm probably going to try to find some kind of 40C 1300+ 4S if I can.

Really? I got a whole shitton of LiPos from Hobbyking, and the most I got was a dirty look and some questions from one of the CBSA officers when I went to pay the tax and duty.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions on Canadian sites everyone, however I ended up buying a Turnigy 9x from Hobby King, along with a bunch of other small stuff. Shipping is going to be a pain in the rear end and I'll probably have to pay some dumb import fees on top of that, but the TX I wanted just wasn't available in Canada anywhere that I could find.

If you're buying Lipos just use Amazon.ca, there is a brand Venom that is fulfilled by Amazon and you can get them overnighted to you for not that much. I've been pretty happy with the 3s 1000mah I get from them and they come with all sorta of plug adapters so it'll work on your system.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

Really? I got a whole shitton of LiPos from Hobbyking, and the most I got was a dirty look and some questions from one of the CBSA officers when I went to pay the tax and duty.

Hmm. Might be the shipping method I used then. I went with pretty much the cheapest since I was already shelling out like $50 on top of my order to get it here. I imagine I'll probably have to spend another $50 for customs to release it :q:

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

If you're buying Lipos just use Amazon.ca, there is a brand Venom that is fulfilled by Amazon and you can get them overnighted to you for not that much. I've been pretty happy with the 3s 1000mah I get from them and they come with all sorta of plug adapters so it'll work on your system.

That's what I figure. I'll leave them for last anyway so once I have my body built my TX should arrive and then I can get the batteries overnighted.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

the nicker posted:

you know it runs on cc3d right?
You mean Cleanflight itself, or logging for the blackbox stuff?

Martytoof posted:

Waiting is going to be the worst part. At this point my body should arrive first so at least I'll have some time to put a bunch of things together before I immediately destroy it.
Tell me about it. I had all my electronic and accessory parts here, but Amazon was delaying delivery of my frame like god knows what.

That said...

:woop:

I've been doing flight tests and still need to try the alternate PID presets of OpenFlight, it currently runs the default settings. Once that's done, I'll solder everything to get rid of excess cabling. Then I'll start looking into FPV kits. :haw:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. Might be the shipping method I used then. I went with pretty much the cheapest since I was already shelling out like $50 on top of my order to get it here. I imagine I'll probably have to spend another $50 for customs to release it :q:

I ordered close to a grand of stuff, so I only had the one shipping option (FedEx) that was necessary for large amounts of LiPos. The shipping was crazy fast from HK though. Ordered on Friday and got it on Monday, and I was able to bypass the brokerage fee by going across the street and paying the tax myself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone using the stock 8ch RX that comes with the Turnigy 9x? I noticed it has one antenna compared to other RX units. Should I be looking to upgrade to a different module later on?

also --

Any fun places in Toronto to fly FPV? I'm trying to think of a few off the top of my head and I'm not really coming up with much that isn't basically "drive an hour north". Do you know if Toronto has a racing group?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 25, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the receiver options for turnigy's default module isn't very good. Many installed a frsky module and use their receivers, or possibly an orangerx module and some dsmx receivers from lemonrx (or second hand official ones to save some cash).

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah it's the Cleanflight blackbox logging, and Cleanflight does run on the CC3D (not sure if that board has dataflash or not, but you can add in a separate module with SD card if not).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now I finally understand why my first attempts at trying simple Acro failed by the drone flipping over immediately. I set the relevant switch position to all Manual in OpenPilot, while Acro is actually all axes being rate stabilized. I thought it was the same. :doh:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-clinton-drone-teen-arrest-0724-20150723-story.html

gundrone kid from Clinton, CT was arrested for assaulting the cops

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thats also the dude who got assaulted by a random lady when he was flyin his stuff at the beach.

Too bad his whole family turned out to be nuts!

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I still order from hobbyking for specific items now and then. I've yet to pay any duty or fees on hongkongpost. Its usually Fedex/UPS/DHL types that nail you for brokerage fees.

As for Lipo batteries from HobbyKing International:
"Shipping Li-Poly batteries by Air Parcel: Due to international air safety regulations, parcels with a total battery capacity of more than 3200mAh cannot be sent via standard 'Air Parcel'."

So I could get two batteries for my 250 quad or flying wing (I use 1500mAh), which isn't too bad.

^^^ Wait, that's the same kid? So he decided after the first attack that it wouldn't have happened if his quad had a gun?^^^^

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Martytoof posted:

Do you know if Toronto has a racing group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/409332729251623/

Toronto FPV racing

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Golluk posted:

As for Lipo batteries from HobbyKing International:
"Shipping Li-Poly batteries by Air Parcel: Due to international air safety regulations, parcels with a total battery capacity of more than 3200mAh cannot be sent via standard 'Air Parcel'."

Ah I think I may have had two 1600s or something which would have tripped the 3200mAh, but that's good to know. I'll still source them locally but now I know what to expect from future orders.

Thanks! Welp guess it's time to get a facebook account

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Thats also the dude who got assaulted by a random lady when he was flyin his stuff at the beach.

Too bad his whole family turned out to be nuts!

I saw my father in law today who is from the same town. I forgot to ask him if he's heard of him. Kid seems like one of those people who just attracts trouble, even if he has good intentions.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Hah, looks a bit like my rig:

That's a nice and tidy setup ! Did the antenna come as a separate piece ? Mine came integrated onto the camera - I believe it's because this package is some kind of newbie starter package and FCC required the antenna to be attached unless I have an amateur HAM license.

I just took mine out today, it was tons of fun. I'm getting about 5.5 minutes flight time per battery - going to have to get more batteries !

Turns out the blurriness on the goggles was combined from factory grease/oil on the lens along with my horrible eyesight (-5.5 and -8.5) - I need to wear my contacts for now.

rt_hat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 26, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rt_hat posted:

That's a nice and tidy setup ! Did the antenna come as a separate piece ? Mine came integrated onto the camera - I believe it's because this package is some kind of newbie starter package and FCC required the antenna to be attached unless I have an amateur HAM license.

I just took mine out today, it was tons of fun. I'm getting about 5.5 minutes flight time per battery - going to have to get more batteries !

Turns out the blurriness on the goggles was combined from factory grease/oil on the lens along with my horrible eyesight (-5.5 and -8.5) - I need to wear my contacts for now.

I bought an antenna set on Ebay, left the plug on the Rx side because I have an RC305 thing, and cut the end off the Tx plug to solder it directly to the little board. That flight time is about right. I have some cheapo ebay 500mah batteries and they suuuuck compared to the brand name alias batteries. I know they're pricey and it's 650mah vs 500mah but they're both 25c and the Latrax battier easily last 2x as long and I feel like I have more power. The Alias is an awesome quad to learn FPV on because it's so drat tough. I'd look into reinforcing your FPV antenna, mine loves to crash upside down. It looks like it's connected to a little PCB or something? My antenna cable is encased in hot glue so nothing will ever move it.

It died on me yesterday though, slowly built up black lines over the course of a few minutes until it turned off completely. I tried plugging multiple fully charged batteries in it and it kept degrading. I hope it is the 5v step-up that died and not the transmitter itself.

I also just tried Rattitude mode for the first time on my CC3D board and it is awesome. I never liked the way CC3D boards flew in full Attitude mode, now it controls like I want it to.

Instead of building that larger quad I am going to try something new:

It's cool when you've built up a surplus of parts so you can start putting them together to make new poo poo. Does the servo just connect right to the FC board and get power through that? It shouldn't need an ESC right? I'm also wondering if I can use one of my 4-in-1 ESCs for a tri and just use the first 3 motors.

EDIT: Does anybody else take twice as long as they should to build anything because they keep picking up the thing and moving it around in the air making propeller noises?

EDIT2: A bit of progress:

Tail assembly:

I don't really know if this will work but I checked out some uploads on Thingiverse and other people were doing this. I like the simplicity.

Looks like it is going to weigh ~200g without a battery.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 26, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ease posted:

I saw my father in law today who is from the same town. I forgot to ask him if he's heard of him. Kid seems like one of those people who just attracts trouble, even if he has good intentions.

To be honest the cops there are known to be a bit crazy

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Added some ballast today to check whether my ordered FPV kit together with a larger battery (either that or the smaller one and a GoPro) will handle OK. I've read that people put 6030 props on 1806-2300 motors and they don't overheat. Maybe that's next, depending on how much throttle the pig needs to hover. Maybe with the bigger props, I can take out the big battery and the GoPro.

--edit:
Oh hell, you notice.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 26, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I moved my batteries to below my frame so I can fit larger 4" props. Mobius will still fit on top:

But In taking the lens apart I seem to have adjusted the focus so everything farther than 3 feet away is blurry, oops:

Tricopter is coming along nicely too, I should have it in the air tonight.

VVV yessssss the high roller is what got me posting in this thread. That cage weighs 17 grams iirc, which is suuuper heavy. Mine still flies but it's a Frankenstein version of its former self. I stopped using it because if it got more than 20 feet away from me outside it would pin the throttle and fly away.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 27, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Impulse bought a LiteHawk High Roller Mini form BestBuy because I wanted something to fly around the house while my stuff is in transit.

Pretty fun little thing but I wasn't able to get it to do much of anything until I pulled it out of the roll cage. My first hour impression is that it's super twitchy (if that's the right word) -- the slightest throttle up will send this thing flying onto my ceiling. could be because I removed the weight of the cage so maybe I should try taping on some weight. Right now it has two modes: "Hover just above my floorboards" and "I'M GOING INTO ORBIT CYA LATER!".

Anyway, it's real fun flying this around the floor and I'm getting comfortable telling it where to be. Hopefully preps me a LITTLE for flying a 250, at least in the broad sense.

Kind of wish I'd bought the bigger one but I couldn't find it anywhere.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 26, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

For one, you need to get used to the controls, and then, your 250 will also come with a remote control that's customizable as gently caress. You'll learn to love expo settings and curves.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Added some ballast today to check whether my ordered FPV kit together with a larger battery (either that or the smaller one and a GoPro) will handle OK. I've read that people put 6030 props on 1806-2300 motors and they don't overheat. Maybe that's next, depending on how much throttle the pig needs to hover. Maybe with the bigger props, I can take out the big battery and the GoPro.

--edit:
Oh hell, you notice.

6030's are just fine on 1806's 2300kv motors. From my experience.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

For one, you need to get used to the controls, and then, your 250 will also come with a remote control that's customizable as gently caress. You'll learn to love expo settings and curves.

That's what I figure. What's really killing me is not being used to controlling throttle and yaw with the same stick, so every time I try to rotate left/right I end up throwing the throttle off enough to make it dive or rocket away.

Anyway, it's a fun toy and I've kind of got the hang of it now, even if it is a little hard to control. At the very least it gives me hope that I won't be absolutely lost flying my 250.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have an experience question.

I fired up my tricopter and noticed that one motor "twitches" instead up spinning up at low throttle, then once it gets going it seems normal.

The other two motors spin up smoothly but the one gives a couple back and forth twitches instead, then picks up.

Is this more likely the ESC or the motor? It looks like it's 'missing steps' until the momentum and rpm lets it cruise past.

The prop recently dug into the turf (ratched tail servo) but the motor doesn't seem damaged or rough in any way.

I feel like which direction to troubleshoot first is probably an experience call.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Martytoof posted:

That's what I figure. What's really killing me is not being used to controlling throttle and yaw with the same stick, so every time I try to rotate left/right I end up throwing the throttle off enough to make it dive or rocket away.
You get used to that, too. Personally, I think I'm going to look on how to add tension on the throttle axis (by spring), this should help avoiding this, too (--edit: On the other hand, it sucks to have it, if you have a FC with barometer and you want to let it have a go at altitude hold). The problem I have is that I'm used to having pitch, roll and yaw on the same stick (flight sims on a joystick for years), and separating this gets confusing once a while.

Also, if you're flying LOS, get yourself at least one LED strip (different colors, if two) to mark the front and/or rear. Makes it way easier to keep track of the drone's orientation.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 27, 2015

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have an experience question.

I fired up my tricopter and noticed that one motor "twitches" instead up spinning up at low throttle, then once it gets going it seems normal.

The other two motors spin up smoothly but the one gives a couple back and forth twitches instead, then picks up.

Is this more likely the ESC or the motor? It looks like it's 'missing steps' until the momentum and rpm lets it cruise past.

The prop recently dug into the turf (ratched tail servo) but the motor doesn't seem damaged or rough in any way.

I feel like which direction to troubleshoot first is probably an experience call.

Have you calibrated the ESCs? I just fired my tricopter up for the first time without doing it and all the motors responded at different throttle levels, and the tiny bit of flight I did was really unstable.

After calibrating everything is perfectly in sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Can ESC calibration just be lost out of the blue? It was calibrated before and was working previously.