Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I watched creep just now while making curry and it was garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ramadu posted:

Chiche thanks for the Creep suggestion. Just watched it and I had a lot of fun with it. :hf:

I'm glad you liked it!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I watched creep just now while making curry and it was garbage.

You must have overcooked it then. How was the movie?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

You must have overcooked it then. How was the movie?

:golfclap:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

As far as a movie to watch on Netflix, you could do far worse. In a nutshell, it's the very definition of somebody's first feature film. The director's follow-up is in theatres now (The Overnight) and has a character that basically touches on very similar themes but is presented much better.

It's not on streaming, but The Gift is coming out in theaters soon and looks to hit the same notes with an actor (Jason Bateman) that you wouldn't normally expect playing a creepy stalkery type.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

LogisticEarth posted:

Regarding Creep, it was OK, but I didn't really enjoy it enough to actively recommend it to people. Apparently it's supposed to be horror-comedy? While it had a few funny parts most notably Duplass' self-jump scare at the end, it didn't really succeed at either creeping me out or making me laugh consistently. I found the villain to be more annoying than sinister, and the videographer was basically a wet paper bag of a character. That said, I wouldn't tell someone not to watch it.

I just don't like Mark Duplass so I think I'll be skipping this one. Thanks.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LogisticEarth posted:

Regarding Creep, it was OK, but I didn't really enjoy it enough to actively recommend it to people. Apparently it's supposed to be horror-comedy? While it had a few funny parts most notably Duplass' self-jump scare at the end, it didn't really succeed at either creeping me out or making me laugh consistently. I found the villain to be more annoying than sinister, and the videographer was basically a wet paper bag of a character. That said, I wouldn't tell someone not to watch it.

I agree that the videographer wasn't much of a character, but I think that was somewhat intentional. I thought the movie did a pretty good job of striking a balance with the villain where he wasn't super-campy but also wasn't especially menacing. Dude was just...weird and a lot of the little things I thought helped reinforce a weird vibe from everything without being overtly horror or comedy. The biggest issue I had was actually with how the videographer reacted to some things that happened that just seemed unrealistic.

And based on the recommendations here I checked out The One I Love and I'm not quite sure what I think about it. I'm fairly sure I like it, even though I don't know if I really enjoyed how the story played out or the outcome. Either way it was well-done and well-acted, especially considering it's basically just two people for the vast majority of the movie. Really different type of movie, especially for a love story.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think creep is a horror comedy although it has some elements of both. Just a movie about a weird dude.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Skunkrocker posted:

If you're bored and want to watch a really loving weird and good movie on Netflix, Bad Milo. The cast of Adult Swim shows such as Children's Hospital and Venture Brothers deal with a very serious issue... a monster that literally lives in a dude's butt.. It's hilarious, honestly a little touching, and a great metaphoric story. How this film didn't win awards in 2013 is beyond me, and so far is the second best movie of the decade for me!
Yeah this movie is a little bit amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NESguerilla posted:

I don't think creep is a horror comedy although it has some elements of both. Just a movie about a weird dude.

Creep and Nightcrawler would be a great double feature.

e: I also appreciate that Creep was pretty short, it didn't really attempt to pad things out at all

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

e: I also appreciate that Creep was pretty short, it didn't really attempt to pad things out at all

I liked that about Creep as well. It was exactly as long as it should have been.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you're thinking about rental-streaming Inherent Vice I would recommend you go ahead and just buy it on blu-ray because it is probably my second favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie. Just fantastic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

If you're thinking about rental-streaming Inherent Vice I would recommend you go ahead and just buy it on blu-ray because it is probably my second favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie. Just fantastic.

Yeah, I absolutely adore it and didn't expect to at all.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

After watching Bojack Horseman I noticed an odd category while scrolling through Netflix.

:golfclap: to you, Netflix.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tommofork posted:

After watching Bojack Horseman I noticed an odd category while scrolling through Netflix.

I got recommendations for Baby Sitter's Club and some doomsday stuff after watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Tommofork posted:

Where THE gently caress do I have to live to get fresh prince on streaming

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Where THE gently caress do I have to live to get fresh prince on streaming

:canada:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tommofork posted:

They did that for all the cast of Arrested Development and House of Cards and probably some others. The "watched by Frank Underwood" was pretty good IIRC, stuff like American Psycho and Boss.

Speaking of which Boss is a way better show than I expected, Kelsey Grammar still got it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

precision posted:

Counterpoint: it is my least favorite Anderson movie.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Counterpoint: it is my least favorite Anderson movie.

Middlepoint: neither my favorite nor my least favorite.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Middlepoint: neither my favorite nor my least favorite.

It's at least worth a watch, even a relatively "bad" Anderson movie is an excellent movie. I just rewatched Inherent Vice and I wasn't quite as charmed with it the 2nd time around it's still one I'm going to go back to even if it's not a perfect masterpiece like There Will Be Blood or Boogie Nights.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Hard Eight is still his best film for me. Inherent Vice is worth a watch, though.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't know when it returned, but Apocalypse Now is back on netflix. drat movie gets better every time I watch it...

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Hard Eight is still his best film for me. Inherent Vice is worth a watch, though.

Hard 8 is a great movie, check it out people.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Did something weird happen to netflix/hola today? I was in the middle of Fargo Season 1, and it just stopped out of the blue, and isn't on any of the other regions it's supposed to be.

edit: magically reappeared just now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
The Guest is up finally, and I am very excited to watch it with the fiance tonight. Everyone else should be too (not with my fiance, that would be weird and I would be uncomfortable).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So glad I just paid 5 bux to rent that on Amazon a few days ago :toot:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NESguerilla posted:

So glad I just paid 5 bux to rent that on Amazon a few days ago :toot:

I almost did that last week, because I am very impatient. The missus wouldn't let me though, so I guess I'm whipped.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just did it because I didn't know it was coming to Netflix until I saw it in thread shortly after I finished watching it.

It's a really stupid movie but also very entertaining. Don't go in expecting anything too clever and it's a good watch. I think I was expecting a little more out of it than I should have but it was still a fun flick to kill a couple of hours with.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

The Guest is up finally, and I am very excited to watch it with the fiance tonight. Everyone else should be too (not with my fiance, that would be weird and I would be uncomfortable).

I really liked it until it went off the rails. I read that the original script was based around a soldier returning from a war and his PTSD causing him to carry out a complicated revenge plot against a family. I liked that his "mission" was to protect his army bro's family; I just wish it didn't end with him going all scorched earth, that was ridiculous. Enjoyable until the last half hour though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The writer put up the script for that and You're Next if you're curious.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 26, 2015

Parachute
May 18, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I really liked it until it went off the rails. I read that the original script was based around a soldier returning from a war and his PTSD causing him to carry out a complicated revenge plot against a family. I liked that his "mission" was to protect his army bro's family; I just wish it didn't end with him going all scorched earth, that was ridiculous. Enjoyable until the last half hour though.

Him actively trying to fight his programming to go scorched earth on everyone was so awesome. Especially culminating in the scene where he gets stabbed in the back with the butterfly knife he gave Luke earlier ("just in case") and ending in him recreating the scene which led him to escape custody in the first place. Also, during that whole part, he played the mix cd that Anna made for him over the PA.

I loved the poo poo out of this movie and the soundtrack/score are beyond good.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The Guest is amazing. The soundtrack is also amazing.

I gave The Shield a try awhile back, and the first episode left me a little bored. I tried again, and am now hooked. It takes about 3-4 episodes to really get interested.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The Guest is amazing. The soundtrack is also amazing.

I gave The Shield a try awhile back, and the first episode left me a little bored. I tried again, and am now hooked. It takes about 3-4 episodes to really get interested.

Is the shield on Netflix?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hulu Plus

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The shield is on Amazon prime instant

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Magnus Gallant posted:

The shield is on Amazon prime instant

WTF? Why am I watching this with commercials then?

*edit - no, only on Amazon Instant if you want to buy it.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

WTF? Why am I watching this with commercials then?

*edit - no, only on Amazon Instant if you want to buy it.

What? It was on there a month ago. Sorry for the bad info

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Guest is phenomenal, but the third act really is disappointing. Surely the writer originally had something more interesting in mind.

e: the music is great, and I'm pretty sure Anna's phone homescreen is the cover of Floodland

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It feels like it was supposed to be about PTSD and they wussed out and made it some sci-fi poo poo to avoid controversy. Definitely agree it really craps out for the last 3rd of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NESguerilla posted:

The Guest feels like it was supposed to be about PTSD and they wussed out and made it some sci-fi poo poo to avoid controversy.

You're Next has a similar premise and is also similarly gun-shy but doesn't frontload it to the same degree that The Guest does.