Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The only thing I'm reluctant about is the idea of a PVE-centric sandbox. From my experience, PVP is what drives player politics and that is a major part of any sandbox title. As it stands, this seems like a hybrid of Everquest with a bit of Morrowind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

The only thing I'm reluctant about is the idea of a PVE-centric sandbox. From my experience, PVP is what drives player politics and that is a major part of any sandbox title. As it stands, this seems like a hybrid of Everquest with a bit of Morrowind.

It's really more like Asheron's Call, which was a pretty successful PVE sandbox.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

It's really more like Asheron's Call, which was a pretty successful PVE sandbox.

Never played Asheron's Call since I was busy with UO/EQ/DAoC at the time but I hear a lot about it and how people were disappointed Middle Earth Online became WoW:Tolkien Edition rather than Asheron's Call: Middle Earth. I'll have to give it a shot, believe AC2 is still running as a testing platform for Turbine's other games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
One of you guys who's actually played the game should do a post about what's good about it in the Kickstarter thread so that it actually gains some eyeballs. I'd do it myself, but I know nothing about it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

One of you guys who's actually played the game should do a post about what's good about it in the Kickstarter thread so that it actually gains some eyeballs. I'd do it myself, but I know nothing about it.

A few people have tried but the 'it looks poo poo so I've decided it must be old fashioned and grindy' crowd are also present. I bet not a single one of the people knocking it in that thread will actually try it out as has been suggested.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Yeah. I went with the intention of making a poast but the last three pages I read were all bashing other projects for not having orgasmic graphics and then mocking each other for having opinions different than their own. I'd rather those caustic people not know about PG.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I just can't believe that people will complain that the MMO genre has no innovation but refuse to play crowdfunded games that don't exactly meet the AAA standards set by high budget titles like Final Fantasy XIV and Guild Wars 2 or whatever. It's all over the gaming news sites and social media too.

For such a small development team, I think Gorgon looks great. It has that 2003-era muddy realism look to it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm gonna try this because of the post in the Kickstarter thread!

tuscany
Apr 13, 2007

I haven't gotten a chance to try this yet but I'm certainly going to back it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Wendell posted:

I'm gonna try this because of the post in the Kickstarter thread!

I also tried this due to the post in the Kickstarter thread. I've spent 2 hours in the newbie cave so far.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Is there a priest-like class in this game?

Can I be a healer? I'm sick of my archer

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I believe you're looking for mentalism skills, here's a wiki with the skills if you want to glance through what has what.

http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Skills

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

In theory your character can learn every skill in the game. Check out some of the combat/support skills, like mentalism, battle chemistry, and psychology. Animal handling is another combat skill that has some healing. And a bunch of the crafting skills tie into healing and buffs.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
And don't forget.. some things might not look like healing out of the box, but there are tons of skill-specific mods on weaponry and armor, and certain abilities are somewhat transformed by these.

For example - Sword Slash has a x% chance of hitting all enemies in a 5m range. Something that turns a skill from single target to AOE. There are skills that heal one of your three bars with mods.. I think someone did a data dump on the wiki with a lot of the possibilities out there, and LatinaPrincess and I got real spergy for a while before work devoured our obsessive game times.

Basically there's a ton to do, and the only things you can't un-do are lycanthropy and becoming a druid, unless something new was added.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

I also tried this due to the post in the Kickstarter thread. I've spent 2 hours in the newbie cave so far.

No idea what to do about that spider though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Wendell posted:

No idea what to do about that spider though.

The spider requires either multiple players, or you come back later on with better skills/gear and murder it. I've killed it twice now; once with 2 other people, and once with 3 other people, and ended up dieing both times and having to run back to loot it before it despawned.

Anyway, after spending 2 hours in the cave I finally wandered outside. Killed some pigs, got murdered when a tiger and a doe teamed up against me, and finally made my way to the city. Not really sure what I want to do now, so I'm leveling fishing/cooking so I can grind favor with the armor merchant.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I haven't played this in months but loved the time I spent in it, I'm happy I can give the dude money now. i really need to download the update.

I assume all my fast haver gear will still work, I can log in to zoom around the slow new people!

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 28, 2015

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I just found out about this game through the Kickstarter thread and I'm already hooked. I spent more time playing AC than UO or EQ back in the day (although that's all relative considering the crazy amount of time I poured into all three), and it's always held a very special place in my heart. I tried getting back into years later but it didn't click. But, I felt immediately at home in Project Gorgon. Really looking forward to exploring the world and seeing how the game evolves.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
80% funded and they're going to post stretch goals soon with 25 days to spare. This is pretty awesome. I'd love to see this break the $50,000 mark. Surely they could use it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Alexander DeLarge posted:

80% funded and they're going to post stretch goals soon with 25 days to spare. This is pretty awesome. I'd love to see this break the $50,000 mark. Surely they could use it.

I backed them, but sadly I can't really afford to go higher than I already have. I'd love my own town, but alas that's a bit much for me.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Backed. :woop: I could only spare $25 but every little bit helps, I'm sure. And going at least that high is a pretty good deal.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Anyone having trouble getting past the spider in the newbie cave, don't forget psychology. You can use Tell Me About Your Mother to mez it long enough to run past.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alternately you can just walk around the edge of its room without pulling it, like the quest text tells you to do.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Inimicul posted:

Anyone having trouble getting past the spider in the newbie cave, don't forget psychology. You can use Tell Me About Your Mother to mez it long enough to run past.

The only problem with that is that I didn't know how to click on the lake to get water for the potion you need to get psychology until after I had left the cave and learned about Ctrl + Tab (which I really should rebind).

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Definitely rebind it. I have it on mouse 4 and it's super useful since I use it hundreds of times per hour.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

just made my first kickstarter pledge ever

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nietzschean posted:

Alternately you can just walk around the edge of its room without pulling it, like the quest text tells you to do.

No need to get smug. I tried that and it saw me anyway.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Wendell posted:

Besides, reading quest text is for nerds. Who has time for that, when there are spiders to kill?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wendell posted:

I didn't mean it to sound flippant. Sorry, friend!

Nemo2342 posted:

Besides, reading quest text is for nerds. Who has time for that, when there are spiders to kill?

Right? But yeah the first time I did Tyler Green's shield quest, I didn't read his quest text at all and spent several deaths running into the thing and dying. You folks have it easy nowadays with the skeleton boss earlier in the dungeon rather than a cow curse boss.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nietzschean posted:

Right? But yeah the first time I did Tyler Green's shield quest, I didn't read his quest text at all and spent several deaths running into the thing and dying. You folks have it easy nowadays with the skeleton boss earlier in the dungeon rather than a cow curse boss.

I did read the text, but I missed the part about "go around the spider"; I'm just too used to NPCs telling me about things I HAVE to kill. It's like Chekhov's Monster: any monster mentioned by a NPC in the 1st act will have to be killed by the 3rd act.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Another important thing about this game is that you can get a quest from someone that you are not going to complete for a very long time. It is not level based, merely what quests that person offers, and aren't meant to happen in some regular order.

Hell, someone might ask you for some cheese that someone who has spent months playing the game can't make yet. Cheese is mastercrafting.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah the quest system annoyed me a little starting out because it was hard to know which of the dozen quests I'd collected were realistic as a newbie goal. also because quests are one of those things that trigger my "game OCD" and i almost cannot bring myself to ever abandon a quest, because i figure I'll forget who gave it and maybe i will miss out on a cool reward!! :v:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

glug posted:

Hell, someone might ask you for some cheese that someone who has spent months playing the game can't make yet. Cheese is mastercrafting.

I still have a quest asking for some blue cheese. They can rot in hell.

When I first started and exited the cave, I didn't run straight to the town. I ran around exploring the map a bit. I turned right and made it through tiger land and talked to that dude by Borghild. He gave me a quest asking for a gear from the golem. Sure, why not?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So, since this game reminds me a lot of Asheron's Call, I feel like making some of the same mistakes I did when I played that game. How hosed am I going to be if I try to use staves as my primary weapon?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

So, since this game reminds me a lot of Asheron's Call, I feel like making some of the same mistakes I did when I played that game. How hosed am I going to be if I try to use staves as my primary weapon?

Not at all considering you can level up everything.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Nemo2342 posted:

If a weapon isn't clicking for you just swap over to something else, no harm done.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Before I dropped off the face of the earth I found out that staves are one of the single best, if not unmatched in, soloing the highest tier content in the game. That said it's slow going especially without the right gear and the right secondary skill to back it up.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

wtsnaename posted:

Before I dropped off the face of the earth I found out that staves are one of the single best, if not unmatched in, soloing the highest tier content in the game. That said it's slow going especially without the right gear and the right secondary skill to back it up.

What's a good secondary skill to use with staves? I made my way out to Hogan, but it looks like I'm going to need to grind favor with him before I can actually start using a staff.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Animal Handling is a good secondary skill in general, and you can combine it with Swords or something while you grind favor, and with Animal Handling leveled up you will be able to level Staves more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Go with shield or mentalism and there's really nothing else. Shield's way better.