Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, if you're looking for the casual experience, I recommend grabbing the various Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam or iOS. They even have free demos to get your feet wet and the latest one, Magic Duels, is free to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sickening posted:

4/0 at my fnm with mardu dragons and probably got more packs than I would probably ever want. Couldn't find anyone to buy my packs so I busted them all.

Only card of note was chandra. whomp whomp

What was your list? I've only been doing okay with mine. Also the promo Path isn't nothing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

What was your list? I've only been doing okay with mine. Also the promo Path isn't nothing.

Phone posting so I will keep it brief. 4 soul fires and dropped seekers. Valorous stance over foul-tongue. 2 Mardu charms over commands and 25 land. Sideboard is mostly standard except for more hand disruption and no outpost siege.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, anybody want to explain this?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

AlternateNu posted:

Elves! Thopters! Goblins! :kheldragar:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

elves?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Tribal speculation and people trying to play goblins and elves.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

Tribal card for any tribal deck, awesome looking thing for casual play, no color for edh, the usual reasons.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
dehumanize yourself and face to mtgfinance

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to mtgfinance

I am the markerlight of flesh in this dimension where all is money

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Well, it does bump Piledriver and Rabblemaster out of Anger/Bile range, and everything else out of Drown range, but tragically Languish is a thing. That said I've never seen anyone actually play one.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

AlternateNu posted:

A few real players talking about possible use and one dumb list that did well in Baltimore running them as a 4 of a few weeks ago plus magic players being bad. In the intervening weeks the card has fallen out of the goblins lists but people are slow and they think they are 10 steps ahead of everyone else...

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So apparently Hearthstone has made me a better MtG player. Haven't played since KTK, went to FNM draft last night at my usual spot on a very busy night, placed 3rd with 3-1, having lost my only games to the 4-0 1st place.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

Some people are playing 45 card sideboard Signal the Rats so it's a somewhat viable sideboard card.

Personally my sideboard is 69 cards so :c00l:

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Adder Moray posted:

So apparently Hearthstone has made me a better MtG player. Haven't played since KTK, went to FNM draft last night at my usual spot on a very busy night, placed 3rd with 3-1, having lost my only games to the 4-0 1st place.

I don't understand how four rounds of draft work- is the last game between different pods?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

newtestleper posted:

I don't understand how four rounds of draft work- is the last game between different pods?

Low-REL events like FNM usually don't pair within pods except during round one.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Low-REL events like FNM usually don't pair within pods except during round one.

I don't think this is right.

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011

newtestleper posted:

Yeah, at my local draft pods always pair within pods. It almost defeats the point of draft to go outside the pod for pairings, you lose the power-level balancing and signalling aspect of it over sealed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

newtestleper posted:

I have definitely paired outside of pods at fnms, though who knows whether they were supposed to do that.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If your fnm is running a single larger tournament rather than X 8 person tournaments it will definitely work that way. WER spits out first round pairings which determine pod seatings, then you are paired off randomly after that. It's very normal.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Count Bleck posted:

Is it really looking Good Enough for legacy?

I'm terrible at Magic, but there is nothing about that card that makes me want to put it in my D&T deck.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

There sure are some really ugly beards on camera this weekend.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
What are From the Vault products like? Is it just like... 15 cards for $60, and you're guaranteed to get the cards in it? Or do you get some random cards, and they just advertise the cards people would pay for?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Gensuki posted:

What are From the Vault products like? Is it just like... 15 cards for $60, and you're guaranteed to get the cards in it? Or do you get some random cards, and they just advertise the cards people would pay for?

There is no randomness, they are all the same.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

:siren: Chromanticore bestowed on a Pharika deathtouch snake token on camera :siren:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I broke down and bought a playset of thropter spy network and the remaining hangerbacks I needed. I think this b/u control deck is a fun looking deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yo, would there be any goons interested in a super standard tournament?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AgentSythe posted:

:siren: Chromanticore bestowed on a Pharika deathtouch snake token on camera :siren:

Deck rules, eat poo poo non-five color players.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Deck rules, eat poo poo non-five color players.

Reprint Blood Moon, this kind of posting can't be allowed

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reprint Blood Moon, this kind of posting can't be allowed

Blood Moon, except it's on a 3-mana 2/2 creature that has to become Renowned before it's turned on.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Magus of the Moon so you can beatdown with your Blood Moon against these durdle decks :getin:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
So have there been any lists for UB control posted yet? Because from what I've been hearing it might be my kind of thing, with more disruption than counterspells.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Would love to find a draft scene that doesn't cross-pod, FNM or no. Went 2-2 at FNM because I 2-0d 2 people in my pod, then got wrecked by 10 bomb.decs from two other pods.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Would love to find a draft scene that doesn't cross-pod, FNM or no. Went 2-2 at FNM because I 2-0d 2 people in my pod, then got wrecked by 10 bomb.decs from two other pods.

You can't really expect to get more than 3 rounds out of a draft without breaking pods, there just aren't enough people. My LGS does the first two rounds in pod, then breaks pods for the remaining rounds (now capped at four, used to be as many as needed). I'm ok with breaking pods if it means I don't end up in a three round event, those feel like I've barely started to play when things are finished.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

So have there been any lists for UB control posted yet? Because from what I've been hearing it might be my kind of thing, with more disruption than counterspells.

I am waiting for the kevin jones list. Looks like it is probably going to be pretty straight foward. 4x hangar, 4x thopter spy network, 2x ashiok, 4x dig through time, and the usual removal/counters.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

You can't really expect to get more than 3 rounds out of a draft without breaking pods, there just aren't enough people. My LGS does the first two rounds in pod, then breaks pods for the remaining rounds (now capped at four, used to be as many as needed). I'm ok with breaking pods if it means I don't end up in a three round event, those feel like I've barely started to play when things are finished.

Then play standard or sealed. Draft is pods of 8 people, and is built around it.

I thought I found the godsend of a store that starts FNM drafts firmly at 6pm. Nope, 4+ rounds. 4 packs for 3-0-1, 2 packs for 3-1.

Oh, and $2 surcharge if you don't bring your own lands.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 26, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Olothreutes posted:

3 rounds is perfect cuz you get in at 6:30-7 and you're out by 10:30 and can still do things on Friday night. Why would people subject themselves weekly to staying at the LGS until 12 or longer on Friday night? :psyduck:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Then play standard or sealed. Draft is pods of 8 people, and is built around it.

So draft on MODO, where you are guaranteed 8 man pods with no breaks.

Playing paper means you have to make some concessions somewhere, either your store fires 8 man pods when they get enough people and the last 5 or so people get hosed (assuming that you are willing to fire a pod of 6 or 7), or you set an event time and run it to rounds with the understanding that pods will be broken at some point. I'm ok with the second option, but if you aren't you can try to find somewhere that runs the first way. I just think that unless you live in an area with a huge scene you are far more likely to find the second option because it accommodates the most people who are all making a drive to a location with the intent to draft but who have various real world demands on their time.

Chill la Chill posted:

3 rounds is perfect cuz you get in at 6:30-7 and you're out by 10:30 and can still do things on Friday night. Why would people subject themselves weekly to staying at the LGS until 12 or longer on Friday night? :psyduck:

Because we start at 6 and I'm still out the door by 10:30 with time to do other things?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

PJOmega posted:

Lol. My purity!

You still draft at tables of eight. Don't be obtuse.

For every time you are steamrolled from the god deck at the table that opened all the bomb rares, you are at that table another week. It all averages out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

Because we start at 6 and I'm still out the door by 10:30 with time to do other things?

Man, if mine did that I'd be out by 9:30 and that would be even better. There's no reason to have more than 3 rounds of magic in any given weekday event.

• Locked thread