Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not sure if this has been posted in here yet?

Horizon

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Horizon-OKADA-Takuya

48 Chapters and ongoing. Starts with Ghengis Khan as a kid and so far has been going into local skirmishes with the Mongols vs Tatars. Not sure yet how accurate depictions are as the early chapters have just focused on small scale stuff with him and his father. Interested in seeing if / when it will branch out into major historical events.

Reads a fair bit like Kingdom so far, lots of heads flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

That Works posted:

Horizon

48 Chapters and ongoing. Starts with Ghengis Khan as a kid and so far has been going into local skirmishes with the Mongols vs Tatars. Not sure yet how accurate depictions are as the early chapters have just focused on small scale stuff with him and his father. Interested in seeing if / when it will branch out into major historical events.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it looks like this manga might already be over. Chapter 48 starts with "The Final chapter is here" and ends with a "The End". It was actually looking like something cool was starting, but then it just ended.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

UnderFreddy posted:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it looks like this manga might already be over. Chapter 48 starts with "The Final chapter is here" and ends with a "The End". It was actually looking like something cool was starting, but then it just ended.

Well crap.

I was only up to about 30 or so when I decided to post about it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That Works posted:

Well crap.

I was only up to about 30 or so when I decided to post about it.

Here's the good news: the next Crusader Kings 2 expansion is about steppe nomads.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
New chapter of Kingdom up.
http://mangafox.me/manga/kingdom/v40/c433/1.html

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

That Works posted:

Horizon

why are they not all on a horse

everyone should be on a horse

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
They should have multiple horses for each guy. Also, not a bow and arrow in sight.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
New Vinland Saga

In which both sides make excellent arguments. Doubt that the poison was real and can't wait until Einer takes an arrow to prove that Throfin is OK. Hopefully he won't die while doing so :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got a non-Mangafox page for it?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's not a spoiler to say that Full Eyes is the best part of any given Vinland chapter

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a non-Mangafox page for it?

Here.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Is Thor Finn off the farm yet???!????

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Pewdiepie posted:

He might just buy the farm soon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Since last year Pewds

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari 47 (still behind a chapter)

Grandma is watching. You cannot hide from Grandma.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
http://mangafox.me/manga/kingdom/v40/c436/20.html

New Chapter for Kingdom
Jesus I know he doesn't want the country to suffer from more internal wars in the future, but still it was brutal of Sei to outright say that he will still kill those children despite his mother's pleads

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Otoyomegatari 47 (still behind a chapter)

Grandma is watching. You cannot hide from Grandma.

Pariya and Grandma are the best

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

papasyhotcakes posted:

http://mangafox.me/manga/kingdom/v40/c436/20.html

New Chapter for Kingdom
Jesus I know he doesn't want the country to suffer from more internal wars in the future, but still it was brutal of Sei to outright say that he will still kill those children despite his mother's pleads

Sei is too much of a man to let a few internal wars get in the way of doing the right thing.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
jesus loving christ, I am loving glad I do not live in a time and society that not only requires its women to be married, but to have reams of intricately embroidered fabric and craft projects beforehand. gently caress that noise

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ATP5G1 posted:

jesus loving christ, I am loving glad I do not live in a time and society that not only requires its women to be married, but to have reams of intricately embroidered fabric and craft projects beforehand. gently caress that noise

On the other hand, look at how pretty everything is :swoon:

I think that those kinds of traditions all go back to the old displays of opulence thing, it's basically the family saying "look, we're wealthy enough to buy all this material and have our daughter waste probably hundreds of hours of time decorating it instead of doing something more immediately useful, so you know you're marrying into the good poo poo".

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The point is that they're making things that they're going to be using in their new household though? One of the earlier chapters touches upon this, all the embroidery and things they make are part of the bride's dowry so what they're making is useful and supposed to be used. That and fine and well made embroidery can fetch money too.

I do get the display of opulence thing though, make that poo poo pretty so they know what they're in for.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 6, 2015

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Oh, I know there's ostensibly a cultural purpose. But still: gently caress that noise.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Plus side: you can personally ensure all your fabrics have sick hawks on them

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Compendium posted:

The point is that they're making things that they're going to be using in their new household though?

Nah, all that work is not spent making them but prettifying the stuff that they are going to use. That leather bag would be as useful without all those designs but nowhere near as good a social indicator.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I took classes related to textiles (specifically basic fiber arts and fiber dying), so I feel a lot more appreciative and fascinated by the embroidery and textile artistry that's in Otoyomegatari. Embroidery takes so much goddamn patience, but embroidery thread itself nowadays is cheap as hell. And we get so many colors!! :buddy:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

ATP5G1 posted:

Oh, I know there's ostensibly a cultural purpose. But still: gently caress that noise.

You really do have to slip into their cultural mindset to understand it. People tend to look at needlework and think of it as a regressive and degrading task these days, but in the story's time and place, it was very laudable and celebrated work. In many ways you didn't get to have nice things unless you made them yourself. I can imagine someone from that time looking at us and going, "You have to go to school for 12 plus years and the majority of what you learn isn't even useful in your life afterwards? gently caress that noise. At least my comb bag is pretty and I'm going to use it."

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
The fabric is gorgeous and the talent it takes to produce it is amazing. I'm not denying that, nor the satisfaction it brings. I'm saying "gently caress that noise" to the idea that the only path in life a woman has is marriage and babies, and the only way to achieve that path is to do needlework for a freakin' decade. No matter how much you love needlework that's a degrading and dehumanizing position to be in. It's a different time, different place, and I can enjoy the manga and the art and the fabrics and still be really glad I live in a time and culture where that viewpoint is outdated.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's not just needlework. Unless they're buying all that cloth from somewhere else, it's also spinning and weaving. Both of which take up massive amounts of time and both of which you need if you want any sort of cloth at all. A decade for a good set that will last for years? Yeah, sounds about right. (I remember a statistic from Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years that said before industrialization women would spend eight times as much time making cloth as getting food)

What you're really grateful for here is industrialization.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
http://mangafox.me/manga/kingdom/v40/c438/1.html

New kingdom chapter

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ad-Astra-Scipio-to-Hannibal/Vol-003-Ch-015--Warriors?id=236489

Here's a new Ad Astra!!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There's a new Vinland Saga, too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I predict the best end will happen now. Hooray!

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Ahahaha so Hild is basically otaku catnip.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
It's been awhile since we've seen an innocent happy village brutally murdered. Glad the author hasn't forgotten how horrible vikings are; it makes Thorfinn's journey to redemption all the more striking.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Gahhh. Hild needs to join their party somehow, for the prosperity of Vinland!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man Hild had a nice house. So well built they couldn't even hear the rest of the town being pillaged.

I will admit that I forgot angry crossbow hunter's name was Hild and was trying to figure out why we suddenly transitioned to Steampunkland Saga.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

It's been awhile since we've seen an innocent happy village brutally murdered. Glad the author hasn't forgotten how horrible vikings are; it makes Thorfinn's journey to redemption all the more striking.
I continue to be impressed at this action story that is so unambiguous about how gut-wrenchingly horrible its kind of action is.

This chapter is exactly what we could have expected. It was clear what happened was bad. Very bad. But here it is... drat.

I like the continuing theme of women being arbitrarily pushed away from lives that would suit thim just because they're women. If it was just whatsername, she'd basically just be the token woman. Looking at this with a wider perspective does a bit more to show how widespread the damage was, not just to individuals, but societies.

I'm also interested in the role of Christianity in this world. I have trouble thinking of it as anything but a bad/conservative/traditionalist thing in general, but I guess it would be none of those things to the first generation that converted. It probably would be really appealing if I didn't know what it would become.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hild is Leonardo Da Vinci?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Say Nothing posted:

Hild is Leonardo Da Vinci?

And she would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for those murdering vikings

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eiba posted:

I continue to be impressed at this action story that is so unambiguous about how gut-wrenchingly horrible its kind of action is.

This chapter is exactly what we could have expected. It was clear what happened was bad. Very bad. But here it is... drat.

I like the continuing theme of women being arbitrarily pushed away from lives that would suit thim just because they're women. If it was just whatsername, she'd basically just be the token woman. Looking at this with a wider perspective does a bit more to show how widespread the damage was, not just to individuals, but societies.

I'm also interested in the role of Christianity in this world. I have trouble thinking of it as anything but a bad/conservative/traditionalist thing in general, but I guess it would be none of those things to the first generation that converted. It probably would be really appealing if I didn't know what it would become.

The basic message of Christianity as delivered by the gospels is incredibly humanitarian and progessive, especially for the times. The conflicts started almost immediately as soon as the church proper was organizing itself however. Religious schisms were super vicious between church fathers, and the systematic suppression of Jews as a rival faith began almost immediately, and gained a new found fervor once chrsitianity was recognized by the romans as a legitimate and sponsored form of faith. Had the emperors sided with different fathers during the council's they sat in you might see Christianity today as having a very different face, but Augustine won the day you could probably say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So basically Vinland Saga is One Piece with Vikings. We've got Luffy, Nami, Usopp, Sanji and ... I guess Chopper is the baby. All we need now is for Hild to join the crew and we'll have our Franky.