Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A spirit's greatest foes are other spirits. Spirits can't actually team up to wipe out werewolves.

Pure outnumbering the Forsaken was retconned, but it was retconned because fewer Pure meant more room for inter-Forsaken conflict and a greater overall opportunity to meet the interesting PC-class werewolves rather than the more boring NPC-class werewolves. It's not actually true that the Pure could team up to wipe the Forsaken out because A) werewolves don't actually have a global polity to start with, and B) Pure werewolves are actually weaker on an individual basis than Forsaken werewolves. They haven't got auspices, remember? Some of the mightiest Gifts are forever denied them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I just got Protean 5 and so I get to pick a 5th animal form to transform into. Currently, I have bear (for murder), owl (for flight), cat (for stealth), and wolf (for tracking). I also have the Swarm Form merit so that's a thing to consider. We're playing in Chicago. Anyone have any suggestions? Something useful I am perhaps forgetting?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bees.

Swarms are beastly, they are extremely powerful defensively because most attacks won't hurt them at all, and while they damage relatively slowly they are very hard to defend against. We're talking between 1 and 4+ automatic bashing each turn for everyone inside them, depending on how tightly you contract down, no roll, no armor reduction, just, bam.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Yawgmoth posted:

I just got Protean 5 and so I get to pick a 5th animal form to transform into. Currently, I have bear (for murder), owl (for flight), cat (for stealth), and wolf (for tracking). I also have the Swarm Form merit so that's a thing to consider. We're playing in Chicago. Anyone have any suggestions? Something useful I am perhaps forgetting?

Swarm of mosquitoes, perhaps? Or maybe some sort of endless tidal wave of ravenous rats?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
As I understand it, Swarm Form gives me the option to be a swarm of whatever in addition to the Protean animal forms. Have we been misreading it this whole time?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm making a Mage character and I think I want them to be a member of or associated with some kind of heresy or dissenting group that's distrusted by the mainstream Orders. Something from the books would be a good start but I don't know them super well. I'm thinking of the section in Left-Hand Path that talks about pacifist Arrows more than like, Tremere. I'm not necessarily thinking a Legacy, more like a faction.

Basically I want "unusual perspective, weird and potentially associated with dangerous magic, but not 'evil' in a way that will be disruptive to the party." I want to play a character that's connected to a tight-knit group with goals I can try to advance, but is contrary to the mainstream and makes interesting trouble. What kind of content exists like that?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kellsterik posted:

I'm making a Mage character and I think I want them to be a member of or associated with some kind of heresy or dissenting group that's distrusted by the mainstream Orders. Something from the books would be a good start but I don't know them super well. I'm thinking of the section in Left-Hand Path that talks about pacifist Arrows more than like, Tremere. I'm not necessarily thinking a Legacy, more like a faction.

Basically I want "unusual perspective, weird and potentially associated with dangerous magic, but not 'evil' in a way that will be disruptive to the party." I want to play a character that's connected to a tight-knit group with goals I can try to advance, but is contrary to the mainstream and makes interesting trouble. What kind of content exists like that?
Join the Scelesti. :getin:

But seriously that might actually be an option depending on how you spin it. They aren't all nihilistic assholes trying to burn the universe; there's plenty of "hey we can use this to our benefit" types and "we have to touch it if we want to study it" types and what have you. So you could easily have a faction of like-minded mages who aren't afraid to get their hands (and souls) a little dirty in order to rapidly and incredibly increase the magical world's understanding of the abyss/paradox. Legacies like the Fangs of Mara or the Secret Order of the Gate could be expanded on to be factions instead of or in addition to being legacies.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Yawgmoth posted:

As I understand it, Swarm Form gives me the option to be a swarm of whatever in addition to the Protean animal forms. Have we been misreading it this whole time?

The text scans to me like it gives you the option to choose a swarm of things as a Protean animal form, so "swarm of hornets" would eat a slot as much as "bear" would.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I Am Just a Box posted:

The text scans to me like it gives you the option to choose a swarm of things as a Protean animal form, so "swarm of hornets" would eat a slot as much as "bear" would.
That would make the merit really sad for 2 dots but I suppose it is fitting with the "gently caress you, protean" thing that the merits have going on. As it is, it's highly unlikely that my ST would rule it working that way even if it is intended as such, so I'll still have a slot open for an electric catfish form or komodo dragon form or whatever form I end up taking to cover some goofy oddball edge case.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Being able to be a swarm is super good, I'd say it's worth 2 merit dots and a Protean slot.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Of all the ridiculous demon form parts in DtD, the one that turns you into a swarm is actually, in my opinion, one of the most powerful. You may not be an offensive monster, but fuckoff nothing will be able to kill you, or even really harm you, without preparing specifically to kill swarms. Combine with teleportation, clairvoyance, and other mobility/defensive powers, and the only thing that really poses a threat to you and not just your covers is a hunter-killer angel designed specifically to gently caress you in particular - which is a very likely possibility if you make yourself a big enough pain in the neck.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, also flamethrowers.

You know who doesn't usually have flamethrowers?

99% of the people you're likely to meet!

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, also flamethrowers.

You know who doesn't usually have flamethrowers?

99% of the people you're likely to meet!

Well, there is the hairspray and lighter trick, but that's likely to end with the can of hairspray detonating and ruining their day.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Daeren posted:

Well, there is the hairspray and lighter trick, but that's likely to end with the can of hairspray detonating and ruining their day.
Now I can't stop picturing a swarm of bees trying to do the hairspray/lighter trick to another swarm of bees.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yawgmoth posted:

Now I can't stop picturing a swarm of bees trying to do the hairspray/lighter trick to another swarm of bees.

The future of warfare

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Totally unrelated, but if any of you haven't see this, it's basically the most 1st Ed VtM video possible.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Daeren posted:

I pulled that trick once in a Hunter game. That game ended in a fiery inferno very shortly after that, though surprisingly enough not entirely as a result of the makeshift flamethrower.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Mors Rattus posted:

Bees.

Swarms are beastly, they are extremely powerful defensively because most attacks won't hurt them at all, and while they damage relatively slowly they are very hard to defend against. We're talking between 1 and 4+ automatic bashing each turn for everyone inside them, depending on how tightly you contract down, no roll, no armor reduction, just, bam.

Definitely go with bees. Candyman was also set in Chicago. If you're not familiar with it, it's a really great horror film with a villain who can turn into bees.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Kellsterik posted:

Hounds of Cŵn Annwn are a cool legacy (though I know you weren't looking for legacies, they do also function as a faction to a greater or lesser extent). A group of Left Handed Awakened who've given up on the war with the Exarchs and the Abyss and, instead of rising up towards Supernal Truth/the unreality of the Abyss, have decided to descend into the calm accepting void of the Lower Realms. They're weird and dangerous - they use Prime to 'eat' things of beauty and purity (and, uh, occasionally Hallows) in the material world, sending it to a Garden-of-Eden type colony free of paradox in the Depths - and binding your Awakened Soul to obscure thaumavorous things that are to the Fallen World as the Fallen World is to the Supernal might be a bad idea - but they're not inherently evil, oppose the Abyss, and represent an interesting alternative response to the broader Mage cosmology. They'd definitely give you your 'interesting trouble' thing, and they do form a global community with strategy/religious meetings in their Lower Realms clubhouse full of priceless devoured art.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Hounds of Cŵn Annwn are awesome but I kind of hate their legacy because it's the same loving spells that almost every Prime-based legacy gets. The first attainment is pretty rad though.

Re: swarmchat, if I were to have to pick a bug to be I'd pick tarantula hawks because if you're gonna become a swarm it may as well be a swarm of the biggest flying assholes on the planet.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
OP's GenCon brochure is out on DriveThruRPG. Things of note include:

Hunter 2nd Edition: The Slasher Chronicle
A bluebook supplement for ghost hunters.
A CtL supplement for the Hedge.

Next year's gameline

Deviant: The ??? posted:

You woke up…different. Someone changed you; on a slab, an operating table,
an altar. By luck or by fate, you escaped. Hunted by the ones who made you, they hold all the cards.
Except one thing, what they don’t know is that a fire burns within you because what they did wasn’t
right. What they don’t know is that YOU’RE hunting THEM. Deviant: The ??? presents a game where
the victims of experiments band together to bring down the monolithic organizations that twisted and
warped them.

Also Secrets of the Tribes and Tome of the Pentacle, clanbook style releases for Werewolf and Mage.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 30, 2015

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Next year's gameline

On paper, it sounds better than what we've seen of Beast so far. But I'm skeptical of creating a complete game line for this. By the sound of it, a bigger blue-book supplement would've been enough.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cable posted:

On paper, it sounds better than what we've seen of Beast so far. But I'm skeptical of creating a complete game line for this. By the sound of it, a bigger blue-book supplement would've been enough.

I'm wary; when I heard "game where you play monsters like the kraken and dragons" I was pretty hype but we know how that went. I'm also sharing the concern it doesn't seem like enough of a Thing to carry a line, too; isn't the premise basically one arc a promethean might have, but as an entire line?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

spectralent posted:

I'm wary; when I heard "game where you play monsters like the kraken and dragons" I was pretty hype but we know how that went. I'm also sharing the concern it doesn't seem like enough of a Thing to carry a line, too; isn't the premise basically one arc a promethean might have, but as an entire line?

I imagine the huge difference is that you have an entire life as a normal human before The Bad Thing Happens and you turn into the dude from John Doe

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
It makes a certain sense to me. Given that we already know this poo poo goes on the the NWoD, he'll it's the whole gimmick of one of the big hunter conspiracies! There's got to be a few groups out there who are taking the bio-mod thing a bit further. Making their own breed of monster for instance.

Big Pharma: the disgruntled ex-employee-ing

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I imagine the huge difference is that you have an entire life as a normal human before The Bad Thing Happens and you turn into the dude from John Doe

I hope you can play the guy from The Guest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0E2Qh6wLS4

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

fez_machine posted:

I hope you can play the guy from The Guest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0E2Qh6wLS4
Or Henshin: The Rider.Chronicles.

I'm interested in the fact that Hunter 2.0 is apparently gonna have a bigger focus on Slashers if the name is any indicator because I think they're rad enemies.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Guyver: the Zoanoiding?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm much more excited about the new Blue Book. gently caress yeah, ghost hunters!

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Luminous Obscurity posted:

OP's GenCon brochure is out on DriveThruRPG. Things of note include:

Hunter 2nd Edition: The Slasher Chronicle
A bluebook supplement for ghost hunters.
A CtL supplement for the Hedge.

Next year's gameline

Also Secrets of the Tribes and Tome of the Pentacle, clanbook style releases for Werewolf and Mage.

So...."Ex-Cheiron Employee: The Whistleblowing?"

We'll see what they can make out of that idea, but I agree with previous statements that more Slasher stuff could be good (esp. if this means VASCU becomes a core Conspiracy) and ghost hunters are rad. Especially if it involves poo poo like the not-Ghostfacers getting in way over their heads, or scummy fake paranormal investigators getting owned by angry ghosts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
World of Darkness: The Ghost Dimension.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Slasher Chronicle and ghost hunters book both sound pretty great.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Slasher Chronicle and ghost hunters book both sound pretty great.

Yeah, those sound really awesome. Slashers were awesome enough to deserve their own book but I'll take more content to help me play Will Graham.

Got to meet the line developer for Scion 2nd Ed, really nice guy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I hope gaming classic BioForge is on the Deviant media list

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
Deviant will basically live or die for me depending on whether it has an NPC writeup for knockoff Shocker Goons.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Deviant sounds like the origin story to a godawful number of super heroes. Where's that Fury game, that sounded awesome.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Deviant sounds like the origin story to a godawful number of super heroes. Where's that Fury game, that sounded awesome.

We only know about Fury because it didn't get chosen as the new game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So Deviant is Freak Legion but revenge flavored?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Apparently they just announced a fourth edition of VtM. I'd be interested to see how they distinguish it from V20 - maybe actually fix the rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Flavivirus posted:

Apparently they just announced a fourth edition of VtM. I'd be interested to see how they distinguish it from V20 - maybe actually fix the rules?

That seems to be the idea—this is a true "new edition" rather than a "nostalgia edition" that was about collecting all things Vampire rather than modernizing the rules or altering the tone.

It was possibly inevitable after they realized that Changeling, Hunter, and Mummy all pretty much needed Revised Editions rather than having nostalgia editions to port all their flaws forward untouched.