Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, TVii only really worked if you have a cable subscription and if you have one of those lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TVii also was a garbage poorly responsive app. The native TV controller was better.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The WiiU gamepad is a better TV remote than my actual TV remote because it has an input button and mine doesn't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

It was a pretty useless service. I do love the actual TV remote built in though, I wish they would add a couple of buttons, mainly "My dvr" and "record", then I could completely control my box with the gamepad.

Unfortunately I think the Xbox 360 remains as the only console you can use as a DVR.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fix posted:

The WiiU gamepad is a better TV remote than my actual TV remote because it has an input button and mine doesn't.
Unfortunately, it doesn't have an OK button, so while I can page through all of my TV's inputs, I can't actually select one and close the TV's inputs menu.

Also

oddium posted:

i used tvii back when the wii u first came out we got our Wii U last month. by which i mean i launched the little tvii app. it was a list of a bunch of sports and when they started

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I used the TVii to draw Burger of the Days in Bob's Burgers whenever the screen showed the burgerboard.

But as for usability? Nah.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hirayuki posted:

Unfortunately, it doesn't have an OK button, so while I can page through all of my TV's inputs, I can't actually select one and close the TV's inputs menu.

Also

For me the A button works as OK. Did on my charter box and on my DirecTV box.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

greatn posted:

Thanks; I'll give it a shot. As you can tell, I'm still figuring stuff out on this console.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you are actually watching something from dvr by the way, left and right dpad work as ffwd rwd.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

Yeah the A button gets mapped to ok/select. Some of the other hardware buttons get mapped to stuff too.

Unfortunately my TVs that I've played on need the ok button for their input, while my box (Windows Media Center) also uses ok, and apparently the cable box mapping overrides the TV mapping. I just leave it for TV only cause the input switch is more important in the context of actually using the Wii U.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

raditts posted:

Unfortunately I think the Xbox 360 remains as the only console you can use as a DVR.

I think the PS3 had something for that in Europe. You'd want a big hard drive though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One goofy thing about TVii was how long it took for them to patch in button inputs. Originally, its virtual remote had directional touch-panels while the D-pad sat right there unused.

It was a service that started out terrible and no one stuck with it to see if it improved.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It could have owned :/

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I've had the thing for years and have no idea what TVii was even supposed to be

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it only existed because they thought the name TVii was clever

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i'm just glad i have a link amiibo so i can go around super mario maker as link i wonder what fireball link looks like maybe just a red tunic?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AfroLine posted:

i'm just glad i have a link amiibo so i can go around super mario maker as link i wonder what fireball link looks like maybe just a red tunic?

The new character form is the powerup. You can't get fire flower Link or WFT or whatever.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I don't want this lousy game anymore

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope Luigi and his physics are playable though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

I hope Luigi and his physics are playable though.

Maybe they'll add Luigi/Toad/Peach DLC to coincide with the announcement of Super Mario 3D World 2 coming in Winter 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe they'll add Luigi/Toad/Peach DLC to coincide with the announcement of Super Mario 3D World 2 coming in Winter 2016

I hope I can just shake Mario when I put him on the map to make him Luigi.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

jivjov posted:

The new character form is the powerup. You can't get fire flower Link or WFT or whatever.

That's not how it works. They literally show that the new character can get big/small. The character switch item can be in a shared stage, you just can't add one to your own levels unless you have the Amiibo. But they've set it up so that people who unlocked it can share that feature as part of their stages.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Excels posted:

That's not how it works. They literally show that the new character can get big/small. The character switch item can be in a shared stage, you just can't add one to your own levels unless you have the Amiibo. But they've set it up so that people who unlocked it can share that feature as part of their stages.

I know that the ?-Mushroom that turns you into an amiibo character can be shared...but from the preview footage I saw, it looked like grabbing the ?-mushroom was just like grabbing a super mushroom, just replace "getting large" with "turning into Marth" or whatever.

I could be wrong about stacking the fire-flower on top of that, but I'm almost certain that there aren't large and small versions of each amiibo character.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It could have owned :/

This is most of nintendo's recent ventures in a nutshell....

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

jivjov posted:

I could be wrong about stacking the fire-flower on top of that, but I'm almost certain that there aren't large and small versions of each amiibo character.

they show the Amiibo'd sprite get hit and shrink. It's a complete character swap.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Excels posted:

they show the Amiibo'd sprite get hit and shrink. It's a complete character swap.

I can't find any footage showing an amiibo costume-d mario getting an additional powerup. Do you have a source?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Excels posted:

No the amiibo sprite when hit turns you back into small Mario.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Mario's voice and how it doesn't have good range. Well, we were just at Target and were looking at amiibo when my daughter says, "that's not his voice, that's not his voice!" I was confused and said, yeah, that's the way he always sounds. I thought she was just being weird, but then she said, "no, like on the show!" I then realized she was talking about the Super Show.

She's three and already Captain Lou's voice is more authentic to her despite her hearing the new voice in the games and stuff.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Overemotional Robot posted:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Mario's voice and how it doesn't have good range. Well, we were just at Target and were looking at amiibo when my daughter says, "that's not his voice, that's not his voice!" I was confused and said, yeah, that's the way he always sounds. I thought she was just being weird, but then she said, "no, like on the show!" I then realized she was talking about the Super Show.

She's three and already Captain Lou's voice is more authentic to her despite her hearing the new voice in the games and stuff.

i don't meant to be rude but

you can tell your daughter to gently caress right off

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Excels posted:

They never showed this. Every time a amiibo character gets hit the costume comically flies off revealing little Mario.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Why are you subjecting your daughter to the super show

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

noirstronaut posted:

i don't meant to be rude but

you can tell your daughter to gently caress right off

I told her someone on the Internet said something mean to her and her reply was "that's not nice." So there you go.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Why are you subjecting your daughter to the super show

I showed her an episode or two and thought she was pretty indifferent on it, but apparently she's been requesting to watch it from her granddad on the days that he watches her.

Edit: She just said she wants to be "hooked on the brothers" and I had to explain what that means

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 26, 2015

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Edit: She just said she wants to be "hooked on the brothers" and I had to explain what that means
What?

I wonder if she would like the Zelda and Sonic cartoons.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
To be honest I agree with her and anyone else who prefers the 80s accent. I only really got it from the live action movie and the only episode of the cartoon I watched but it feels much more authentic to me. Probably because I've heard it saying more than three words at once. Yeah I'm used to the real voice in games but when I think of Mario talking I think of a Lou-esque voice.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cliff Racer posted:

To be honest I agree with her and anyone else who prefers the 80s accent. I only really got it from the live action movie and the only episode of the cartoon I watched but it feels much more authentic to me. Probably because I've heard it saying more than three words at once. Yeah I'm used to the real voice in games but when I think of Mario talking I think of a Lou-esque voice.

you can gently caress right off

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Try watching this and judge which voice you prefer for Mario. I don't think I could handle a whole Mario RPG where he talks like this.

https://youtu.be/G8sYvNtjXRI

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Beat Shantae and the pirates curse: it ends on a really high note, overall the game is really good and I would reccomend it, especially since it was 8 bucks with the sale. Not quite on Shovel Knight's level but still drat good, a good and cute game for good and cute gamers.

e: best platformer in five years is a bit much (again, Shovel Knight is really good), but I would totally put it in the top five. Or at least top 15 overall, since the WiiU has been really amazing to platformers (disclaimer: I was born in the era where the N64 was my first console).

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 26, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

pichupal posted:

Try watching this and judge which voice you prefer for Mario. I don't think I could handle a whole Mario RPG where he talks like this.

Woah I love those giant Mii costumes.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

pichupal posted:

It really more like, who ever wrote those lines was a rear end in a top hat. If they had tone down the "Super Duper" lines it would have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ManlyGrunting posted:

Beat Shantae and the pirates curse: it ends on a really high note, overall the game is really good and I would reccomend it, especially since it was 8 bucks with the sale. Not quite on Shovel Knight's level but still drat good, a good and cute game for good and cute gamers.

Shantae is the best platformer released in the past 5 years.

• Locked thread