Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My Wii U friends list is full. Just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah the 100 friend limit is absolute bullshit especially without invitation matchmaking.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
I'm now on a list.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Treebeh posted:

I'm now on a list.

We are one.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone netplay melee with me, preferebly MW/EC ;)

i want to play it more and practice but i dont want to get brutally pwned on anther's ladder

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I just played someone 400 ranks below me on anther's. We did 3 sets of 5, i won 8/12 matches, he called me a flowchart player and asked why I'm even on the ladder if I'm not trying to improve.
He called game and watch a low effort character. I guess it doesn't take effort to win as a character with low damage output, low smash power, no reach, light weight and a horrible roll.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 25, 2015

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
you mean something like he was gold 1 and you were gold 5? or similar spread

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
who did he play as

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Anything that beats you in any game under any circumstances is cheap and low-effort, this is the Second Pillar of Gaming

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

Tonetta posted:

you mean something like he was gold 1 and you were gold 5? or similar spread

IronicDongz posted:

who did he play as

I'm silver II he was bronze something, i looked at the rankings there were 401 people between us (3ds). He kept switching characters. After winning the first set 3-0, I asked if he wanted feedback, and suggested he stick with one character for a while, I think people improve faster from that because they have to really examine what happens in a match up. He disagreed in a very condescending way, first saying something along the lines of "always picking the same low tier character isn't a top level strategy." I tried to explain that my g&w is only any good because I keep picking him even when I lose. He asked "Who told you your game and watch is good?" He seemed to take it really personally that I enjoy the game in a slightly different way from him.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 25, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think the guy who's literally below you can be condescending

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I am shocked, shocked that some random scrub got salty

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Yeah you would be :rolleyes:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

0wned

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

Endorph posted:

i dont think the guy who's literally below you can be condescending
I know, right? And I was being so nice.

Countblanc posted:

This is actually my first bad experience on anther's! I actually was shocked. Every other player was nice, or helpful, or funny, or if they're too salty they just keep quiet and leave right after. We played 12 games and he kept talking poo poo while losing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruggington posted:

Yeah you would be :rolleyes:

You won't get away with this

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I'm going to add everyone from that list, since I don't have very many friends on Wii U and have barely played this version of the game. I'm just getting back into it now. It's good.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah people should add me if you want some easy wins. I looked at the stats and I've only played around 120 online matches and won 15.

:negative:

I hop around and swap characters usually though. I wish it were like MK9 where we could see eachother hover over random and enter a gentlemens agreement to be silly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Szmitten posted:

Yeah people should add me if you want some easy wins. I looked at the stats and I've only played around 120 online matches and won 15.

:negative:

I hop around and swap characters usually though. I wish it were like MK9 where we could see eachother hover over random and enter a gentlemens agreement to be silly.

Pick and stick with someone for a bit. Randoms are fun but it's good to have one main character too.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 26, 2015

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pick and stick with someone for a bit. Randoms are fun but it's good to have one main character

I have a small selection inhereted from previous games and some from this, it's actually the first time I've actually played against other competant humans after playing of and on for nearly a decade.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Samus owns, I think I'll make her my new secondary main after Kirby.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

How Rude posted:

Samus owns, I think I'll make her my new secondary main after Kirby.

people give her poo poo and i don't really know why since i get my rear end handed to her on the daily

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/LOKI_taiyaki/status/624773623706861568/photo/1

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

bef posted:

people give her poo poo and i don't really know why since i get my rear end handed to her on the daily

Power Suit Samus is really underappreciated in Sm4sh. Everyone sees her as the slow projectile spammer, but she really only has two or three of those. What people don't seem to realize is that Samus has a surprisingly good close combat game. All of her melee moves have little-to-no starting or ending lag, her grab and pummel are ridiculously good, and several of her unassuming moves can KO.

One of my friends has repeatedly used my face as an example of how good Samus can be. He'll often have a Charge Shot fully-charged and I'll be running scared of it for most of the round, but oftentimes I'll end up dying to something else and it won't even have been fired. I kick myself every time I fall for it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I heard a commentator talk about Zangief's SPD as you're not making them afraid of the SPD so much as the -threat- of the SPD, which makes them second-guess being too aggressive, and I think that's a good way to look at a lot of powerful moves. A charged Charge Shot makes you afraid of the potential for it to go off, even if you don't immediately fire it off.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Note that things like that only work if your opponent shows they actually have it. Like if I sit down to play a Zangief in SF4 and he misses a quarter of his SPD inputs and isn't consistently grabbing me out of my bad blockstrings then it's pretty much a nonfactor and I can ignore it and just do my flowchart. Similarly if my opponent never hits a charge shot first round as samus I'll probably ignore the potential next round. There has to be some bite to go with the bark.

e: or it SHOULDN'T work, some people just freak out anyway

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

I only charge up to 95% to keep my shots and DK punches stealthy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gaffle posted:

I only charge up to 95% to keep my shots and DK punches stealthy.

This is actually ideal, as the 9 windup punch is stronger than the 10 one.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Yeah on the other hand with nearly charged moves you have to double tap b to get them out since your guy goes back to charging. Sometimes I have it charged so close to max that it reaches max in between my button presses and then the attack takes too long and I die lol. I guess lucario and mewtwo don't have that problem though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also samus will just shoot if you're in the air

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Is Roy just... better than Marth and Lucina? It seems they made all of his unique twists clearly superior to Marth's. The only thing Marth seems to have over him is his shield breaker. He's more fun to play than Marth too, but maybe that is because he is stronger.

They did on OK job with tradeoffs between Ness and Lucas, but I can't see much reason so choose Marth now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Whatev posted:

Is Roy just... better than Marth and Lucina? It seems they made all of his unique twists clearly superior to Marth's. The only thing Marth seems to have over him is his shield breaker. He's more fun to play than Marth too, but maybe that is because he is stronger.

They did on OK job with tradeoffs between Ness and Lucas, but I can't see much reason so choose Marth now.

Yes, there are some distinct differences between Marth and Roy that give Marth certain advantages, but Roy is in general the better character.

As for Lucina it's just not even close.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

SL the Pyro posted:

Power Suit Samus is really underappreciated in Sm4sh. Everyone sees her as the slow projectile spammer, but she really only has two or three of those. What people don't seem to realize is that Samus has a surprisingly good close combat game. All of her melee moves have little-to-no starting or ending lag, her grab and pummel are ridiculously good, and several of her unassuming moves can KO.

One of my friends has repeatedly used my face as an example of how good Samus can be. He'll often have a Charge Shot fully-charged and I'll be running scared of it for most of the round, but oftentimes I'll end up dying to something else and it won't even have been fired. I kick myself every time I fall for it.

I just want to say that a 94 frame grab is not good, but yes if she lands a grab it is very good.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Tonetta posted:

I just want to say that a 94 frame grab is not good, but yes if she lands a grab it is very good.
There's rarely a reason to use any of her throws besides her down throw, though. It chains very beautifully, while none of the others are especially good for anything.

But yeah, one of Samus's main weaknesses is how brutally punishable her grab is. There are occasionally times where the range is useful, but I don't think many people would choose her grab over a nice quick one.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Side throw is useful for getting people into ledge guarding situations. Also yeah I don't think very many people want the worst grab in the entire game but that tether range is remarkable.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I really like Samus in Smash 4. She can do a pretty good job dictating the pace of the match against most characters and bombs + tether means she has one of my favorite recovery toolsets in the game.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Whatev posted:

Smash's general style of play is "get in as close as possible and cut loose", so with Roy's weapon rewarding additional damage if you hit with the hilt, to most people he'll be the superior choice. It helps that he naturally has more power.

Honestly though, I wouldn't discount Marth. The tipper on every attack is difficult to use because it requires you to actually judge the distance, but his sweetspotted attacks actually have some fearsome knockback. Not quite comparable to Roy's, but Marth's faster sword means you'll be racking up damage quicker. A player who is good at hitting tippers turns Marth into a monster.

Lucina is... well, Lucina is Marth and Roy without the sweetspots. She's there if you want to be reckless with the moveset without worrying about the gimmick, which still works, but a Marth/Roy that's good at hitting tippers/hilts will inevitably look better on paper.

tl;dr: Roy if you're good at clinging to people, Marth if you're good at poking people, Lucina if you don't want to put :effort: into your distances.

Tonetta posted:

Well, that might be me never ever being able to avoid Samus' grab. I swear most of the damage I take fighting Samus is the result of GET OVER HERE followed by four or five elbows to the head, happening four or five times in the same stock. For some reason I keep walking into them, never seeing it coming.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 26, 2015

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've had success with both Samus's. People don't seem to expect regular Samus and tend to get caught off guard.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

Szmitten posted:

I've had success with both Samus's. People don't seem to expect regular Samus and tend to get caught off guard.

My favorite anti-Samus strategy is just to bust out my pocket Falco. The mind games with reflectors against projectile characters is too fun and often they don't really know how to handle it. We had a Samus player that was busting heads at our last local until I waltzed over and introduced him to space animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Roflfox posted:

My favorite anti-Samus strategy is just to bust out my pocket Falco.

Cool, but what's this got to do with Smash Bros?

:v:

• Locked thread