Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Everyone that I have talked to except the stereotypical afraid of the outside world terminal E6s have told me to get out of the Navy, and if for some reason I am an idiot and come back in I need to be an officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

germskr posted:

This is probably the top reason I hear from [future] Mustangs regarding lane changes, but it's [almost] always a self-assessment and the something to offer part is [almost] always wrong and just ends up being self-serving.

Well yea, it's easy to be cynical about it too and say we'd be better off if we just hung all nobles. But I look at my resume and see what I can do as a contractor and that's where I see I can actually be competitive at being selected. And I also look at our current cyber program and it's pretty clear -- some of the best people are the ones who are going to get out. There should be some people who actually know what they're doing that stay behind so the whole thing isn't run by aviators.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
that's admirable.

but anyways, how the reserves work

you'll end up at a unit that's off of a NOSC which acts as a higher command for the splintered off units attached to it, or you'll end up working at the NOSC proper.

to give an example, I work with COMPACFLT (point loma) which is attach to NOSC NI (coronado)

but, if you want to be an intel officer then you probably won't be stuck at a NOSC doing paperwork forever they'll likely stick you with an intel unit.

also it's just the 1 weekend a month 2 weeks (or more if you want) a year standard fare, with some units doing active duty mobilizations as a unit or individual sailors doing AD mobs by themselves being attached temporarily to active duty components from anywhere from like 30 days to even 2 years depending on the mob.

like to give another example, they were interested in putting me into a mob for an imagery billet that was 30 months out of maryland in support of the NIMITZ,
whereas a ground intel dude just got back to the unit after a 2 year ground billet in afghanistan downrange.

you can volunteer for these mobs whenever you want and kinda pick and choose what you want to do, and when you do a mob, it's matched 1:1 if I remember correctly for you to not be involuntarily mob'd.
so like if you do a 1 year mob, you aren't going to be mobilized again for another year unless you volunteer yourself.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Commoners posted:

Everyone that I have talked to except the stereotypical afraid of the outside world terminal E6s have told me to get out of the Navy, and if for some reason I am an idiot and come back in I need to be an officer.

There's a lot of resources out there to help people find their footing once they're out, TGPS sometimes doesn't cover it effectively enough so people get cold feet and re-up. Follow your heart dude.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

that's admirable.

but anyways, how the reserves work

you'll end up at a unit that's off of a NOSC which acts as a higher command for the splintered off units attached to it, or you'll end up working at the NOSC proper.

to give an example, I work with COMPACFLT (point loma) which is attach to NOSC NI (coronado)

but, if you want to be an intel officer then you probably won't be stuck at a NOSC doing paperwork forever they'll likely stick you with an intel unit.

also it's just the 1 weekend a month 2 weeks (or more if you want) a year standard fare, with some units doing active duty mobilizations as a unit or individual sailors doing AD mobs by themselves being attached temporarily to active duty components from anywhere from like 30 days to even 2 years depending on the mob.

like to give another example, they were interested in putting me into a mob for an imagery billet that was 30 months out of maryland in support of the NIMITZ,
whereas a ground intel dude just got back to the unit after a 2 year ground billet in afghanistan downrange.

you can volunteer for these mobs whenever you want and kinda pick and choose what you want to do, and when you do a mob, it's matched 1:1 if I remember correctly for you to not be involuntarily mob'd.
so like if you do a 1 year mob, you aren't going to be mobilized again for another year unless you volunteer yourself.

IDCR is a managed community, meaning that IDC detailers put people in units and they're under IDC chain of command with NOSC purely as support.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pandasmores posted:

There's a lot of resources out there to help people find their footing once they're out, TGPS sometimes doesn't cover it effectively enough so people get cold feet and re-up. Follow your heart dude.

I'm not feeling all that helped to be honest but I prepared myself for that. They are taking loving forever with my paperwork and I haven't even been gained into my unit yet and it's been six weeks. Can't go back to my old job without my DD214 so I'm just job searching. Really not so bad as I'm getting call backs about so possible jobs so I'm sure I'll land something soon.
Got contacted by Orbital wondering if I would relocate to Monterrey. Still not sure if that's gonna go anywhere. Balls in their court.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

IDCR is a managed community, meaning that IDC detailers put people in units and they're under IDC chain of command with NOSC purely as support.

NOSC staffs often forget about the Support part of their name and try to drive things and get in the way of production. Good leadership can prevent this; bad leadership can lead to massive amount of wasted time (more than usual atleast)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

NOSC staffs often forget about the Support part of their name and try to drive things and get in the way of production. Good leadership can prevent this; bad leadership can lead to massive amount of wasted time (more than usual atleast)

And bad leadership can go either way. Our last CO basically had a "gently caress you and die" attitude towards the NOSC and tried to do more in-house than we really were capable of. Like, our entire admin department was one O-4 (hello) who was seriously struggling to keep up with the admin paperwork that the NOSC could have been doing if the CO hadn't insisted they stay out of it. The new unit CO and new NOSC CO had a pleasant conversation in which he explained that we would be handling certain things to give us flexibility for production but we need NOSC support for other things and they came to agreements. Imagine that.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

run by aviators.
That would the best thing to happen to the IDC community. :smug:

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 24, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

The first person I met with an IDWO pin - the first time I learned that it was a thing - was an aviator lat transfer. He was totally convinced that 10th Fleet and the IDWO pin weren't just hilarious attempts for intel weenies to be SEA WARRIORS FOR REALS.

Take that as you will.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah, that way when they end up joining the URL community they won't select for O4 and take billets from the other communities.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

I guess it's going to make sense one day when all of our jets are replaced with unmanned drones.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Still need a "pilot" to fly them though. I could see this being an enlisted rating- insignia being an xbox controller or something similar.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Just chiming in to say I loving hate our boots and want the goddamn Nike boots. I hate these squeaky things.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
flight deck boots son.

or just go somewhere that you can wear the guacs

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

flight deck boots son.

or just go somewhere that you can wear the guacs

I'm on shore duty atm so technically I can wear the fuzzies but ehhhh

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

squarerandom posted:

Do the fuzzies squeak/not feel like lead sleds?

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Analogical posted:

Do the fuzzies squeak/not feel like lead sleds?

Not sure, I haven't tried them on.Although If they don't, i'm goin Fuzzy ya'll.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

flight deck boots son.

That's what I wear. I'm not giving a gently caress about my out of reg boots every day.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

squarerandom posted:

Just buy new boots even if they're not completely in regs and no one will notice? Spend some of my tax dollars and live in comfort

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

That's what I wear. I'm not giving a gently caress about my out of reg boots every day.

We have a 1st and a Chief that came from the fleet and stare at everyone's boots to make sure nobody is Stealing their Valor, so that's not as much an option.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

squarerandom posted:

Not sure, I haven't tried them on.Although If they don't, i'm goin Fuzzy ya'll.

I wear fuzzies because there is less broken glass inside and they don't hurt *as* bad. They squeak like poo poo though and they don't like to be scuffed. Not as messy to brush them vs. polishing though.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Analogical posted:

We have a 1st and a Chief that came from the fleet and stare at everyone's boots to make sure nobody is Stealing their Valor, so that's not as much an option.

Same here, we also have people who promote the Perma-NSU club too. Plus I don't even know if my orders will get extended here, so might not even be worth it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

People ITT bitching about boots who never had to wear those loving steel toe chukkas. Those things were designed by people who never had feet.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Red Wing 4473s meet all uniform requirements and are super comfortable.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Mad Dragon posted:

People ITT bitching about boots who never had to wear those loving steel toe chukkas. Those things were designed by people who never had feet.

I retire in 9 months, Shippy. I loved those chukkas (once they were broken in.)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Oh so now Squarerandom can't handle some pain, squeaking and doesn't have the motivation to shine his boots. Where's your heart Sea Warrior

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cerekk posted:

Nice thanks.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

poopkitty posted:

I retire in 9 months, Shippy. I loved those chukkas (once they were broken in.)

They being your feet. gently caress those things. The chukkas, not your feet.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mad Dragon posted:

They being your feet. gently caress those things. The chukkas, not your feet.

Dude don't be a pussy she ship-mated you.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Oh so now Squarerandom can't handle some pain, squeaking and doesn't have the motivation to shine his boots. Where's your heart Sea Warrior

I left it in San Francisco. AT THE GAY PARADE WHERE WE ALL BELONG.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
Hi friends, I'm back. Me love you long time.

Made Navy Times on the return (ET1).

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/07/15/iwo-jima-arg-to-return-july-19/30192035/

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Schlabbalabba posted:

Hi friends, I'm back. Me love you long time.

Made Navy Times on the return (ET1).

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/07/15/iwo-jima-arg-to-return-july-19/30192035/

I read the article, then realized you where in in the small picture that even when expanded is still pretty small. At least there isn't a picture of you in BCG's smiling like a jackass in an Official Navy Publication(Undersea Warfare) that everyone on the boat reads while on the shitter.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Sir Lucius posted:

I don't consider myself Navy moto or anything though. I just feel like being an officer in the reserves would make more sense than being enlisted. Like, if I didn't make board or whatever, no big loss, I would just get out completely and have more weekends to myself. Also, as an officer I'd have a lot more leverage to organize and run an exercise than I would as enlisted.

I am posting in GiP just to tell you that all of my officers in the Reserves have told me that being an officer is terrible in the Reserves. I dont know how this worked but my last CO claimed that he had to pay out of pocket to fly from DC to Charleston to drill with us. He said he lost money overall and was just riding it out to retirement.

I dont know how true that is because I am pretty deep in the not caring stage about that type of thing. I show up, make a briefing, give the briefing, and fill out a report.
I've been doing rescheds for a bit so I was thinking they might just forget about me ... until my LPO called me up and said he wanted to start turning over to me. :psyduck: I told him I had a year left at the most and really don't care about evals/chief/etc but I'd think about it. The minute I get an offer letter from my current company for a permanent position, I'm dropping an IRR-transfer chit and closing this chapter of my life for good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KetTarma posted:

I am posting in GiP just to tell you that all of my officers in the Reserves have told me that being an officer is terrible in the Reserves. I dont know how this worked but my last CO claimed that he had to pay out of pocket to fly from DC to Charleston to drill with us. He said he lost money overall and was just riding it out to retirement.

I dont know how true that is because I am pretty deep in the not caring stage about that type of thing. I show up, make a briefing, give the briefing, and fill out a report.
I've been doing rescheds for a bit so I was thinking they might just forget about me ... until my LPO called me up and said he wanted to start turning over to me. :psyduck: I told him I had a year left at the most and really don't care about evals/chief/etc but I'd think about it. The minute I get an offer letter from my current company for a permanent position, I'm dropping an IRR-transfer chit and closing this chapter of my life for good.

If you want to make O6 you have to pay more to drill than you make due to travel and the way that commands are distributed*. If you're happy as a terminal O4, you can stay local and get the retirement.

*Reserve SWO is really undermanned but it's still hard to find good billets because they're all at fleet centers and people want to leave those shitholes. So they have a bunch of open billets in a few spots and a lot of guys looking for work everywhere else. Go Navy.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Null Integer posted:

I read the article, then realized you where in in the small picture that even when expanded is still pretty small. At least there isn't a picture of you in BCG's smiling like a jackass in an Official Navy Publication(Undersea Warfare) that everyone on the boat reads while on the shitter.

They used that poo poo on navy.mil too, so hi res there. I also got my ESWS on the last day of deployment. I had just spent three days camping out on the beach at LeJeune and I smelled terrible and had a beard. Can't wait to get the pics back.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Schlabbalabba posted:

They used that poo poo on navy.mil too, so hi res there. I also got my ESWS on the last day of deployment. I had just spent three days camping out on the beach at LeJeune and I smelled terrible and had a beard. Can't wait to get the pics back.

The recidivism rate in this country is a sad reflection of our broken society.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Schlabbalabba posted:

Any cool deployment stories from this time around? Or "The command went full retard" stories?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Cerekk posted:

Technically they are an 8 inch and regs are a 9 inch because Bates is the only company to make 9s and they need their kickback.

Edit: totally do not care in case it came @ across that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Laranzu posted:

Technically they are an 8 inch and regs are a 9 inch because Bates is the only company to make 9s and they need their kickback.

Edit: totally do not care in case it came @ across that way.

Ehh, kinda. The description for the boots in the uniform regs doesn't say how/where to measure them so you're good, especially with how much height variation there is in the Bates' between the different sizes and manufacturing locations. You can get 9" out of the Red Wings easily enough depending on how you measure them.

Plus the two times someone has actually noticed that they're different, both people thought that "The regs say you can only wear Bates" which isn't true, of course (they do say 9" though), and my response was "oh ok, well if you can show me that I'll stop wearing them." Neither of them brought it up again.

I guess really before you drop $200+ on boots you should figure out if there's anyone at your command that outranks you and is a dumbshit with nothing better to do than gently caress with you because of your boots and is likely to be vindictive if you stand up to them regarding the actual regulations. I have a pretty good command climate and I'm a LT but I could see it not being worth the fight for a deck seaman on a cruiser or something.

• Locked thread