Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CashEnsign posted:

Don't goons live off the foreverwar narrative. Aren't you dudes starving without your BoB supplements?
We've decided that being BoB is a reasonable alternative.

Wolfy posted:

I think the main issue is that there isn't poo poo worth fighting for anymore. That giant war is just a shitload of work for everyone's FC team. PL/NC./BL seem to have done an okay job of finding fun fights without engaging in a massive sov war.
They've been drawing from the well of invasion-bait faster than the replenishment, it's unsustainable in the long run.

So if you want a more plausible fanfic, how about one where everyone does a big elaborate RP of surrender and armistice. Everyone always goes for "kiss the ring" burns about Mittani and our subservient alliances. Why not do it? Entire fleets of supercaps self-destruct, as if re-enacting the Washington Naval Treaty and the scuttling of the German fleet at Scapa Flow.

The terms are abject and humiliating, but in return the Imperium resets and breaks up (with some ex-Imperium alliances moving out of the north altogether in re-settlement plans with non-CFC alliances). Eve gets into the news again as the Battle of B-R5 is vastly eclipsed by the over 100 titans and several hundreds of supercarriers die in eve's first $1 million orgy of (self-) destruction. Nullsec is fresh and new again with no real coalitions or blocks. Everyone invades Providence for the after-party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CashEnsign posted:

Thank God goons only post here in gf.com to confine their shitposting.

I post on Reddit but I post in actual non lovely subreddits

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CashEnsign posted:

Don't goons live off the foreverwar narrative. Aren't you dudes starving without your BoB supplements?

Endie posted:

We made a wasteland and we called it peace

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Klyith posted:

So if you want a more plausible fanfic, how about one where everyone does a big elaborate RP of surrender and armistice. Everyone always goes for "kiss the ring" burns about Mittani and our subservient alliances. Why not do it? Entire fleets of supercaps self-destruct, as if re-enacting the Washington Naval Treaty and the scuttling of the German fleet at Scapa Flow.

The terms are abject and humiliating, but in return the Imperium resets and breaks up (with some ex-Imperium alliances moving out of the north altogether in re-settlement plans with non-CFC alliances). Eve gets into the news again as the Battle of B-R5 is vastly eclipsed by the over 100 titans and several hundreds of supercarriers die in eve's first $1 million orgy of (self-) destruction. Nullsec is fresh and new again with no real coalitions or blocks. Everyone invades Providence for the after-party.

EVE has fallen down the boring hole and will never be exciting again without a sequel or catastrophic data loss.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Chomp8645 posted:

EVE has fallen down the boring hole and will never be exciting again without a sequel or catastrophic data loss.

Eve 2: The Multithreading

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

It's going to be boring because there are large, cohesive power blocks. CCP recognizes that they're a problem, and has tried to break them (us). But naturally, they're the last thing which will actually break under stress induced by game rule changes.

Unless the game suddenly starts growing again such that the old guard will be threatened by new blood, stagnation is the forecast.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've been playing since august 2006 (I surprised/disappointed myself when I looked), got to see some cool stuff. Its boring now and I just sign in to keep my skill training going. I'm looking forward to the day when Mittani overthrows the Amarr and CCP just rolls with is as we steamroll an NPC nation and empire space crumbles.

brainjury
Apr 24, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

and this is different from any other MMO ever, exactly how?

I mean, once the game is broken by over-enthusiastic play, the game is broken forever. This is the toy cycle of all MMOs.

brainjury fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 26, 2015

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

vyst posted:

I post on Reddit but I post in actual non lovely subreddits

But you still shitpost right

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

brainjury posted:

and this is different from any other MMO ever, exactly how?

Well for one most MMO where the content isn't actually pissing in someone else's cheerios bowl get boring when the genre become un-fun for it's playerbase because they've been at it for x years in a row. EVE seems to be going down the boring hole because nobody want to be someone else's content and more than half the population won't undock unless they know the opposition has at least a great chance of being "content" for them.

For all the people who keep saying they love high stake battles where they have to put poo poo at risk (or at least pretend they do), we don't see it happen all that often. Most people by now seem to have gone past the point where they didn't care about losing if they had a good fight in it and would rather disengage because it's common sense. People following common sense don't generate fights but prevent them. Once people started going "tryhard" on a game, reverting back to "for fun" is hard because you will always remember the effort you put into getting where you are and would rather not throw that down the drain of you can.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Hahahaha that fanfic. gently caress TEST forever

Enemu
May 31, 2014

Maneck posted:

Unless the game suddenly starts growing again such that the old guard will be threatened by new blood, stagnation is the forecast.

And the horribly-needed revamp of the barrier to entry skill wise could, maybe, solve that.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

There is something to be said for fewer blues and more wars. But let's make no bones about it -- even without valued allies, GSF punches at PL weight, and most of our allies punch at BL weight.

Also, it amuses me that some of these youngins think CFC pioneered coalitions. I've been around long enough to remember the GBC and the twits that infested it; before that, I remember the likes of XETIC and ASCN.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Glory of Arioch posted:

burn the hole and all that identify with it

dont post about my sex life

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

ullerrm posted:

There is something to be said for fewer blues and more wars.
Yeah, it's good when the not-us guys do it and lose stuff on both not-us sides.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, if I haven't played in at least 5 years (I think the last thing I saw was Wormholes being added), and I'm getting the MMO itch, but I stopped last time because I really enjoyed the scanning system, but there wasn't much to do with it at the time, and I didn't feel that engaged by the game. Then I idly browsed the thread, watched the 'This is EVE' video and got all hype again. Is it fun enough, or is it just the players can't resist touching the poop again & again. Is it worth me having another go at? I have a feeling what little assets I own might be in the arse end of nowhere.

I don't mind a bit of idle trying, but downloading the client is obviously a big deal.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Yolo Swagtron posted:

I got my own Mittani ping - ask me anything.

I like how you portray TEST as some sort of lumbering juggernaut. A 3000 man warmachine with PL and NCdot scurrying around its feet like insects hoping not to get stepped on while TEST holds the field.

ullerrm posted:

even without valued allies, GSF punches at PL weight

That's the most demoralizing thing I've ever read. GSF measured on a scale with PL at the top. Here I assumed that GSF punched at about four PLs

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 26, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shockeh posted:

So, if I haven't played in at least 5 years (I think the last thing I saw was Wormholes being added), and I'm getting the MMO itch, but I stopped last time because I really enjoyed the scanning system, but there wasn't much to do with it at the time, and I didn't feel that engaged by the game. Then I idly browsed the thread, watched the 'This is EVE' video and got all hype again. Is it fun enough, or is it just the players can't resist touching the poop again & again. Is it worth me having another go at? I have a feeling what little assets I own might be in the arse end of nowhere.

I don't mind a bit of idle trying, but downloading the client is obviously a big deal.

Join Holesquad if you liked scanning. There's a lot of good systems attached to it now.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

ullerrm posted:

There is something to be said for fewer blues and more wars. But let's make no bones about it -- even without valued allies, GSF punches at PL weight, and most of our allies punch at BL weight.

Also, it amuses me that some of these youngins think CFC pioneered coalitions. I've been around long enough to remember the GBC and the twits that infested it; before that, I remember the likes of XETIC and ASCN.

All of those allies punching at BL weight would suddenly have "content" available or become some. Of course GSF is kinda boned at the current level they are.

N3 disbanding seem like a loss of content for GSF since they were pretty much the only entity in game who, by sheer stupidity or anything really, were sometime ready to at least start something. For how ill advised the assault on fountain was, it still generated more "content" then Provi ever will except being farmed or many others who will use common sense and never get themselves in such cursed adventure.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

:ullerrm:
Scanning has had a few massive quality-of-life improvements since you last played. You get to use eight probes now by default (instead of +1 per level of Astrometrics), and the probes move and resize as a group now (instead of having to move each probe individually). The SHIFT and (especially) ALT keys are your new best friends - use SHIFT to interact with just one probe, and using ALT makes the probes move in and out as a group around their common centre.

You don't need to setup probe formation by hand now either; the scanning controls have two by default - "spread formation" (6 probes in hexagon plus 1-up and 1-down in the centre, for a quick systemwide overview), and "pinpoint formation" (5 probes in pentagon plus 1-up 1-down and 1-centre, for actually scanning down sigs). You can also setup custom formations, like cubes or setups with different probe ranges. But the pinpoint one works pretty well as it is.

Deep Space Probes were removed a while back, so you can't use them to see what type of sigs are in a system with one scan anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWzEfDoS0Q

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

ullerrm posted:

Is that BL with Elo, or BL with Elo on vacation?

ullerrm posted:

It's times like these when I want someone to make :narrative: a thing.

supersnowman posted:

N3 disbanding seem like a loss of content for GSF since they were pretty much the only entity in game who, by sheer stupidity or anything really, were sometime ready to at least start something. For how ill advised the assault on fountain was, it still generated more "content" then Provi ever will except being farmed or many others who will use common sense and never get themselves in such cursed adventure.

Depending on activity Provi dries up and can be fished out by a small number of dudes in less than 2 weeks if you're super nerd active, but any continuing offense lasting a month or more will have them start quoting Sun Tzu and posting evac orders.

Zephyrine posted:

I like how you portray TEST as some sort of lumbering juggernaut. A 3000 man warmachine with PL and NCdot scurrying around its feet like insects hoping not to get stepped on while TEST holds the field.

Pretty sure TEST always has, and always will think this very thing. No matter how insignificant they really are, they still believe that they are in fact the lumbering warmachine of New Eden.

Telling them they're wrong is always entertaining (if nothing more than an insider's look at the far side of the spectrum).

Xolve fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2015

tuzy2k
Sep 17, 2007

I'm a couple of pages late to this but gently caress TEST Forever™. gently caress Montolio and gently caress any poo poo heel scum of the earth waste of flesh that isn't bothered by having that alliance's filthy name be a part of their employment history . gently caress them to hell and gently caress the bus they used to get there.

Bombing their asses in my manticore at 6VDT was so so deliciously sweet. Added a few hundred Prophecy killmails to my name.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

scandoslav posted:

Holesquad has been entosising things here and there for shits and giggles and ~content~, but that has yet to result in any sov changing hands.

How's this working out in terms of generating little brawls? We've done ok out of it, and I know the therabois have too, but it's definitely not presented any 'big' fights yet.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

ullerrm posted:

If such a thing ever happened I imagine at least a couple dozen corps from former allies would immediately apply to GSF.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MorsAnima posted:

How's this working out in terms of generating little brawls? We've done ok out of it, and I know the therabois have too, but it's definitely not presented any 'big' fights yet.

Unfortunately Fozziesov doesn't seem to be geared to create any big fights. Everything is so spread out and FCs are loath to split their fleets up, so you don't really have many encounters with the enemy except in ones and twos.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

"If 'sov' and and 'wars' and 'winning' have ceased to generate entertainment, why not manufacture it?

Pick every fight. Wardec everyone. Burn Everywhere. Invade random regions indiscriminately and capture territory in order to abandon it just so to attack it again when someone tries to claim it. Randomly defend certain groups and watch idiots insinuate there's a real-money protection racket. Laugh as the eve-o servers meltdown from endless rage and tears. Unfortunately as a side effect this might be good publicity for CCP and generate more material/traffic/revenue for TMC but at least it would give reddit something real to complain about."

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

(Semi)serious question though: is there a way to find out how many times has goonfleet.com been reported to the FBI as a terrorist site?

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

MorsAnima posted:

Ok is how to put it. It's moderately entertaining and it has a one in three chance of getting someone's attention. We got one decent skirmish out of it, one nasty counterdrop and almost a carrier kill. It's a nice change of pace even if it doesn't always generate a good fight. As an added bonus turbonerds get really loving upset if you turn off their station services.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

AAPsel posted:

As an added bonus turbonerds get really loving upset if you turn off their station services.

Why didn't I think of that :negative: We typically just hit ihubs and hope the idiots try and valiantly (read: solo) defend it.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

MorsAnima posted:

Why didn't I think of that :negative: We typically just hit ihubs and hope the idiots try and valiantly (read: solo) defend it.

Fitting services are where it's at.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

AAPsel posted:

Fitting services are where it's at.

Pre Fozzie-sov I led some fleets down to Bovril's staging and turned off all their station services. It worked so well that one guy started making panicced subreddit posts claiming that goons were reinvading fountain.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MorsAnima posted:

The instant you start hurting nerds hiding in a station in a measurable way, they get REALLY upset.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

AAPsel posted:

Ok is how to put it. It's moderately entertaining and it has a one in three chance of getting someone's attention. We got one decent skirmish out of it, one nasty counterdrop and almost a carrier kill. It's a nice change of pace even if it doesn't always generate a good fight. As an added bonus turbonerds get really loving upset if you turn off their station services.

"Almost a carrier kill". So, fozziesov doesn't even work on the smallest scale possible (i.e. just enough for wormholers somebody to come smug about some shitfit ratting carrier or some such), let alone on any larger level? A resounding success, as expected!

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
This thread has taught me that there are still plenty of goons that are assmad about ~test things~, sounds like there could still be some good :narrative: to play out there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CashEnsign posted:

This thread has taught me that there are still plenty of goons that are assmad about ~test things~, sounds like there could still be some good :narrative: to play out there.

This thread has taught me that every 3 months someone comes in and asks "why do you hate Test?" and when it gets explained by a copy-and-paste, some Test shitlord comes in and goes "oh u mad?" :smug: "we totally trolled u bro" as if anyone actually cares.

Yolo Swagtron
Jul 20, 2015

Important Internet Spaceship Dude

CashEnsign posted:

Yes.

Montolio is long gone. That era with him.

Accept it.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

CommonShore posted:

This thread has taught me that every 3 months someone comes in and asks "why do you hate Test?" and when it gets explained by a copy-and-paste, some Test shitlord comes in and goes "oh u mad?" :smug: "we totally trolled u bro" as if anyone actually cares.

Israd #1

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Lack of Gravitas posted:

:ullerrm:
Scanning has had a few massive quality-of-life improvements since you last played. You get to use eight probes now by default (instead of +1 per level of Astrometrics), and the probes move and resize as a group now (instead of having to move each probe individually). The SHIFT and (especially) ALT keys are your new best friends - use SHIFT to interact with just one probe, and using ALT makes the probes move in and out as a group around their common centre.

You don't need to setup probe formation by hand now either; the scanning controls have two by default - "spread formation" (6 probes in hexagon plus 1-up and 1-down in the centre, for a quick systemwide overview), and "pinpoint formation" (5 probes in pentagon plus 1-up 1-down and 1-centre, for actually scanning down sigs). You can also setup custom formations, like cubes or setups with different probe ranges. But the pinpoint one works pretty well as it is.

I used to mine gas waaaaaaaaay long back, so I did a lot of probing. I read about those quality-of-life changes, but a ton of people were bellyaching about probing already being way too easy already. Mind, I think most were talking about the use of probes to get perfect warp-ins in fleet combat. There any validity to that?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Yolo Swagtron posted:

Yes.

Montolio is long gone. That era with him.

Accept it.

Hey, Important Internet Spaceship Dude.

Thank you for coming here. We didn't have any liaison to reddit before at all, so thank you for filling that role.

You may now feel free to post a sweet rolling-with-the-punches/sick burn/meme contribution-post, anything for your comfort.
But please know that I am also an important internet spaceship dude and I would advise you very carefully in future of public forums post yaddablubber etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

I used to mine gas waaaaaaaaay long back, so I did a lot of probing. I read about those quality-of-life changes, but a ton of people were bellyaching about probing already being way too easy already. Mind, I think most were talking about the use of probes to get perfect warp-ins in fleet combat. There any validity to that?

With regards to combat probing, I can't really say, I haven't had the patience to learn to do it properly :v: , but probing in general is a lot easier and a lot quicker now. Most of the Data and Relic sites don't contain NPCs now either, so anyone exploring just for them can do it in a covops with bonuses to probing and no combat fit needed, so that speeds things up as well.

Oh yeah, also, CCP added a compass to the HUD and brackets in space to show how many sigs and anoms are in the system (sigs still need to be scanned), so thats probably encouraged more people to scan now too, since just by flying around they can see that there are sites, without having to open up the scanning interface everytime.

• Locked thread