Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Rexicon1 posted:

btw, if any fate group isn't just open to whoever, then its run by lovely dirtbags who deserve no respect. Pretending to need a certain comp for fate grinding is the most asinine tryhard poo poo in the history of everything.

For some dumb reason, even if you start a FATE group with all slots completely open, as people join and leave it can switch the open slot to whatever their class was, so you can wind up with like two NIN slots and a DRG slot without realizing it. Usually I'm too busy actually running FATEs to notice until it takes forever for the group to fill up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Having DRK have 2 skills that are re(shadow)skinned versions of a paladin skill would blow. Dark Wall should have an additional effect tossed onto it, even if it's token. A 10% or so manaward would be cool. Literally anything. It's boring as it is.

DRK's one other big problem in my eyes is that the original design is that it seemed like you would rely on parries to lessen physical damage, and there's just not enough there to support it in the kit. Dark Dance is alright (even if the DA evasion bonus is sorta tacked on - and interferes with your Blood Price)
but idk. My first thought would be to make DRK's equivalent of Maim and Mend/Increased Action Damage just passively increase your parry rate by 5% a level, but I don't know how that would work out in the long run.

Buff Dark Wall, make Reprisal usable as a OT, splash in some other minor damage mitigation into the ability list and I think the class is great. It's def. really fun as a class right now, at least.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Avynte posted:

Tankchat sure builds enmity :mrgw:

These posts are pretty provocative.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So how far into the game do you have to be for most of this thread to make sense? I am in the early 20s and most of the posts go way over my head. The only other MMO I've played was Star Trek Online, but it's got even more of a focus on single player content than even FFXIV, and I'm sure that doesn't help my general illiteracy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The nice thing about Shelltron is that the best pre-Alex shield is the Hive Shield which is a Tower Shield and at 210 you have the option between a Kite Shield and a Tower Shield. The bad thing about Shelltron is that it could limit raid design by making Paladins way too good at dealing with physical tankbusters.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

DrNutt posted:

So how far into the game do you have to be for most of this thread to make sense? I am in the early 20s and most of the posts go way over my head. The only other MMO I've played was Star Trek Online, but it's got even more of a focus on single player content than even FFXIV, and I'm sure that doesn't help my general illiteracy.
A lot of them are about endgame stuff so it'll be a while! Generally though most people are happy to answer questions, either here or in-game. Sometimes might take some prodding though, conversation can move pretty fast at times.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It doesnt specify whether or not Reprisal stacks with Path in the tooltips (i'm pretty sure they do) but I want to assume that the way its designed is to enforce certain configurations of tank/offtank to get that level of damage mitigation when the two are used in tandem. However it just sort of means in the end that Reprisal just might not be available to use when you need it. A lot of stuff introduced in Heavensward has this sort of light rng mechanic where something MIGHT be available and you have options to increase the odds of it being available/ensure it is available. idk

DRK's fun, it's an interesting class, the animations are a little gaudy but it's a tank that puts on a hell of a lightshow. I can't tell if it has a higher skill ceiling than the other two tanks to do competently with or if it's just a new tank class. AST and MCH feel the same way where they're both interesting classes that just need the corners sanded down a tiny bit. AST and MCH both seem like classes with really intesting depth, my issue with DRK is that the same depth is there but I don't see the same kinds of rewards you get out of the other two.

Eej posted:

The nice thing about Shelltron is that the best pre-Alex shield is the Hive Shield which is a Tower Shield and at 210 you have the option between a Kite Shield and a Tower Shield. The bad thing about Shelltron is that it could limit raid design by making Paladins way too good at dealing with physical tankbusters.

Shelltron also looks like, fuckin' baller and has a good sound to it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

So far they've dealt with that problem by giving raid bosses a grand total of zero physical tankbusters that you can actually use Sheltron effectively for. Blinding Blade doesn't have a cast bar, so Sheltron is likely to get used on an auto-attack right before it. I only hope that there's one in A3S, because so far Sheltron is a very underwhelming skill.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

So far they've dealt with that problem by giving raid bosses a grand total of zero physical tankbusters that you can actually use Sheltron effectively for. Blinding Blade doesn't have a cast bar, so Sheltron is likely to get used on an auto-attack right before it. I only hope that there's one in A3S, because so far Sheltron is a very underwhelming skill.

It's good if you happen to be OTing, but I agree in it feeling like just another lame duck move that I feel obligated to spam on Paladin simply because it's oGCD. I like being the "party support" tank, and I can accept that it's meant to be the "simple to play" tank, but even a tiny bit of complexity and decision making would be welcome.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 26, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In what world is delirium bad just because dragon kick exists? Monk has never been a required spot in a static and the whole point of it being on DRK is so you don't miss out l. It's actually great.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I will stand by my statement that Dark Dance is not very good. For a class that actually has things that trigger from parrying, why would you give them a +30% parry skill while DRGs get +80%, crossclass LNC gets what, +40%? And WAR gets +100% from the front. Meanwhile, using Dark Arts on Dark Dance is literally useless against 8-man bosses.

It's not that DRK is a broken job, it's just that there's not really a lot of reasons to use one instead of the PLD/WAR battery. And if I had to sum up the difference in gameplay experience using a bad analogy, PLD and WAR are like shaving your face with a regular razor, and then DRK is like shaving your face with a regular razor except for some reason you're gripping it by holding it between the heels of your palms and sometimes you drop it and refuse to pick it up with anything other than your feet.

Eej posted:

This is also probably why they took away the STR scaling from shield blocks.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In what world is delirium bad just because dragon kick exists? Monk has never been a required spot in a static and the whole point of it being on DRK is so you don't miss out l. It's actually great.

The issue is that Delirium loses its utility if you have a MNK. If you have a WAR and a NIN, the WAR being there lets the NIN do more damage. If you have a DRK and a MNK, all it means is that one of the only party utility functions the DRK has is moot and the DRK will get a lot of "Delirium had no effect" messages. It's still the highest damage combo DRK has without spending MP though.

Klades fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 26, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The war usually has better poo poo to do than babysit path

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

kafziel posted:

No, but they do give the Block mechanic, which is a pretty nice thing Paladins have exclusive use of. And multiple cooldowns to take advantage of it.

The only thing Block gives you use of is Paladin's version of Dark Dance, an attack to help your tp burnout (admittedly kinda nice) and Sheltron which is basically useless in endgame as a tank cooldown

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yo I need a melee DPS class. I know lots of DRG so that's out, and I know a bunch about NIN since I have a friend that mains it.

Please learn me about MNK.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yo I need a melee DPS class. I know lots of DRG so that's out, and I know a bunch about NIN since I have a friend that mains it.

Please learn me about MNK.

This is monk.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 26, 2015

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
I like Dark Knight because it gives me a cat helmet, a laser cannon for a ranged pull in case my rad front flip is on cooldown, and lightsaber noises. I don't know what you guys' problem is.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
https://soundcloud.com/welinestus/alexander-final-boss-no-music-a-little-more-clear

Requesting Jazz remix. :sax:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Not having immediately implemented a Hildibrand quest line in hs is super stupid because the previous questline built in the end reward: a treaty blade mount

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hell yeah.

2/4 NQ Mats. This was incredibly satisfying. Did it together with Godbert Manderville who provided the mats.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 26, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Goddamn, 65 steps? I don't even have crp/wvr up to 50 for the "real" rotation yet (though I'm getting close, both are about 45 and cul is near 37)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Elentor posted:

Oh hell yeah.

2/4 NQ Mats. This was incredibly satisfying.

I was really REALLY hoping for a second screenshot of "standard touch failed"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I was really REALLY hoping for a second screenshot of "standard touch failed"

I finished with Careful Synthesis II so there's no way to screw it up from there.

Sentient Data posted:

Goddamn, 65 steps? I don't even have crp/wvr up to 50 for the "real" rotation yet (though I'm getting close, both are about 45 and cul is near 37)

I could have gone for way more but it wasn't necessary. :v:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

I like Dark Knight because it gives me a cat helmet, a laser cannon for a ranged pull in case my rad front flip is on cooldown, and lightsaber noises. I don't know what you guys' problem is.

I feel like I should make something clear, because I always gloss over it when considering the DRK's faults and issues.

Plunge is the best button in the entire game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I'm having more fun leveling WAR than playing 60 DRK, really, but man I miss Plunge. :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If we're talking about fun button presses, Deathflare is up there.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Elentor posted:

Oh hell yeah.

I'm guessing that was using Maker's Mark? How hard is it to build progress on a 2star craft? How many IQ stacks did you build for your byre bomb?

I have the scrips and I'm going to start putting materials together for weaver body tomorrow.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

DrNutt posted:

I am glad I'm not alone. I'm closing in on 30 and felt like a boss wobbling around on my fat chocobo but reading this thread always makes me feel like a wee baby.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Klades posted:

I feel like I should make something clear, because I always gloss over it when considering the DRK's faults and issues.

Yeah, Plunge is really fun to use.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's loving amazing if you tanked T13.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 26, 2015

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meiteron posted:

I'm guessing that was using Maker's Mark? How hard is it to build progress on a 2star craft? How many IQ stacks did you build for your byre bomb?

I have the scrips and I'm going to start putting materials together for weaver body tomorrow.

I didn't use Maker's Mark, no. Building progress is the bulk of the challenge. My CP is super low (411 with food) compared what other crafters say you need for 2 stars (420-430) so I preferred to build progress with IG2 + 2 RS. I failed two RS by the way, which is a super bad scenario.

I had 10 IQ stacks for my Byregot's.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Elentor posted:

Oh hell yeah.

How many Delineations did you use?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Please use the ability's true name of Akh Morn which I believe is dragon for "oh gently caress" its dragon for deathflare but w/e

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elentor posted:

I didn't use Maker's Mark, no. Building progress is the bulk of the challenge. My CP is super low (411 with food) compared what other crafters say you need for 2 stars (420-430) so I preferred to build progress with IG2 + 2 RS. I failed two RS by the way, which is a super bad scenario.

I had 10 IQ stacks for my Byregot's.

What were your other stats? Min requirements, or higher?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Silly question, but do you only get new scrip items if you complete the day before?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Oblivious posted:

How many Delineations did you use?

4 Delineations. By the time the fourth was spent I had enough CP to make sure I could use another 2 if I wanted but decided to go for it and use MM2 to finalize the item. Nymeia's Wheel is stupid overpowered, you get a MM2 for 124 less CP.

Fister Roboto posted:

What were your other stats? Min requirements, or higher?

719 Craftsmanship, 696 Control, 411 CP
Basically 1 Craftsmanship and 1 Control above min.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Klades posted:

You seem to have misspelled level 3 melee limit break.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Failboattootoot posted:

The NIN LB3 is my favorite thing about choosing to play NIN

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

That's not how you spell 'level 3 smn lb'.

rudejerk
Jul 22, 2014

Actual Shit
Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

Oh hell yeah.

2/4 NQ Mats. This was incredibly satisfying. Did it together with Godbert Manderville who provided the mats.

What rotation did you use with 2/4 HQ? I know Refgetter and I did basically the same thing for ours but we finished around ~70-75% HQ chance and got lucky.
I ended up not having enough CP to Manipulation, so I only used Master's Mend II for durability restore and opened with PBPx2 > Rapid Synths.

rudejerk fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I wish we had a thread for just straight up newbie questions

When do we start getting new mounts? I've got a chocobo mount and that's it.

• Locked thread