Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bar Crow posted:

Thanks, Taylor. Taynks.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

ToxicSlurpee posted:

1989 on the Chinese calendar was a long, long time ago. Think it's like 4,700 something right now. They don't run on the Gregorian calendar. Or at least didn't. Yes that's a touchy subject but I kind of wonder how many of the censors realized that happened in 1989 by the Gregorian calendar?

On this side of the pond how many people can remember off the top of their head when Tienanmen Square happened? It probably just never occurred. I had to actually Google search that to figure out what was wrong with it.

Pretty much everything was gregorian when I lived in Shanghai 8 years ago.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ego-bot posted:

Not a stupid decision in marketing, but Taylor Swift's new album cover isn't going over well in China.

T.S. 1989

This is awesome because the Chinese government censors just about everything related to that event.

Now I'm picturing a China where dissidents sneak around in the dead of night to slap posters for T.S. 1989 all over buildings and walls. Taylor Swift is now the face of Chinese Democracy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Kareem posted:

This is awesome because the Chinese government censors just about everything related to that event.

Now I'm picturing a China where dissidents sneak around in the dead of night to slap posters for T.S. 1989 all over buildings and walls. Taylor Swift is now the face of Chinese Democracy.

Better than the last US album to celebrate it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Taylor Swift is now the face of Chinese Democracy.

Poor Axl :(

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know how expensive the overhead is for a mattress store, but there's a shop in Milwaukee (http://www.hassless.com/) that has no staff. Someone (presumably the owner) comes in, opens the doors, turns on the lights and leaves. If you want to buy anything, there's a big phone number on the wall where you call in to the owner directly and he'll come in and do all the paperwork. Presumably the merchandise is all chained to the floor or otherwise secured, and I would hope there are security cameras so no team of guys just comes in and robs the place blind, but that whole scenario seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

That sounds awesome. The last time I went to buy a mattress, the only other person in the store was the sales guy. And he was the saddest, most desperate salesman I'd ever met.

I ended up buying a mattress online, since the thought of going through that again just wasn't worth it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
My favorite bit of marketing by a furniture & mattress store is a place here that has a ton of HUGE CLOSEOUT!!! and GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!!! and FINAL DAYS!!! signs plastered all over the glass front of the store. They even have people holding signs on the road nearby saying the same stuff. The place is still there seven years and counting. When I first moved to that area, I went in the store to see if I could score some cheap stuff and it was just the usual prices. They'd have some insanely high price on a tag with a big line through it and a normal price written in red marker under it (with exclamation marks, of course) and something like 82% off!!!, but it was just a normal price, nothing to get excited over. I stopped in a couple more times over the first year or so to see if they had further markdowns, but no, same high prices, although they would have different stock in. Is that a normal business practice? It's the only time I've seen that, but I don't really take much notice of furniture stores in general.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We've got a furniture chain around here that advertises the boss as being on vacation about 8 months out of the year. I think it's a local Colorado chain. I'd believe he's on vacation constantly, though. The guy can afford multiple tame(ish) tigers.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ego-bot posted:

Not a stupid decision in marketing, but Taylor Swift's new album cover isn't going over well in China.

T.S. 1989

She doesn't get enough credit, she is literally the greatest living troll. She got Tim Cook and the CCP within a few months.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

1989 on the Chinese calendar was a long, long time ago. Think it's like 4,700 something right now. They don't run on the Gregorian calendar. Or at least didn't. Yes that's a touchy subject but I kind of wonder how many of the censors realized that happened in 1989 by the Gregorian calendar?

On this side of the pond how many people can remember off the top of their head when Tienanmen Square happened? It probably just never occurred. I had to actually Google search that to figure out what was wrong with it.

China's very much in the 21st century, they use the same calendar we do.

They're also well aware of Tiananmen Square. They just don't openly discuss it because that would upset social harmony and it's the last thing anyone want. The feeling I got when I spent a semester over there - with a bunch of western undergrads who loved to bring that poo poo up - is that they just don't give a poo poo, or pretend not to.

China's weird as gently caress.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

What the hell is an olive burger? Just olives on a hamburger?

Anyway, out over in Seattle the best fast food place around is Dick's Drive-In and they've got even fewer option on the menu than that. Sometimes you just don't want a lot of stuff to pick from.

Dick's is super overrated, go to Blue Moon Burgers instead. Better tasting and they take forms of payment other than cash and I don't have to be guilt-tripped by all the homeless people panhandling for change as I eat since Dick's is cash only.

Edit: Dick's is fantastic though for when I need to break a $20 and also am a little bit hungry

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wanamingo posted:

Looks like it's just a Michigan thing. :ms:

Sliced pimentos on a classic 'Murican burger is the lunch I always wanted but never knew I did.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I had no idea what year it happened. I just guessed because it was either that or something in Tibet.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The guy that runs the mattress store up the street from me is a tricky fucker. In addition to all the high-end poo poo for his showroom, he buys tons of low-tier mattresses from his supplier, then runs ads in the newspaper, on Craigslist, and on a Facebook account with a fake name: "Hey, I got this queen-size pillow-top mattress, it won't fit in my bedroom so I need to get rid of it. I paid $600, you can have it for $300 OBO because I need it gone. Brand new, still in packaging. I can bring it to you if you want. Call 555-5555" Every time he gets a call, he pretends to be some random schmoe who didn't measure his bedroom, and when they agree to buy the poor soul's mattress, he throws one in the back of his personal pickup and delivers it. Clever, if a teensy bit disingenuous :v:

Holy poo poo. Someone in my city (or possibly several someones) is using a similar tactic. Instead of advertising on CL, there's a bunch of hand-lettered yard signs all over the place: "Queen mattress set, [whatever price], call xxx-xxx-xxxx."

I knew it had to be someone playing an angle, but I had no idea whatthefuck until I saw your post.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Fandango just sent me an email with a subject line of "Beat the Heat at Century Theatres" and I'm thinking they probably could have worded that differently.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The guy that runs the mattress store up the street from me is a tricky fucker. In addition to all the high-end poo poo for his showroom, he buys tons of low-tier mattresses from his supplier, then runs ads in the newspaper, on Craigslist, and on a Facebook account with a fake name: "Hey, I got this queen-size pillow-top mattress, it won't fit in my bedroom so I need to get rid of it. I paid $600, you can have it for $300 OBO because I need it gone. Brand new, still in packaging. I can bring it to you if you want. Call 555-5555" Every time he gets a call, he pretends to be some random schmoe who didn't measure his bedroom, and when they agree to buy the poor soul's mattress, he throws one in the back of his personal pickup and delivers it. Clever, if a teensy bit disingenuous :v:

This dude is loving brilliant.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The funny thing is he could have 10 people respond to the same ad and sell each of them a mattress.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Karma Monkey posted:

My favorite bit of marketing by a furniture & mattress store is a place here that has a ton of HUGE CLOSEOUT!!! and GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!!! and FINAL DAYS!!! signs plastered all over the glass front of the store. They even have people holding signs on the road nearby saying the same stuff. The place is still there seven years and counting. When I first moved to that area, I went in the store to see if I could score some cheap stuff and it was just the usual prices. They'd have some insanely high price on a tag with a big line through it and a normal price written in red marker under it (with exclamation marks, of course) and something like 82% off!!!, but it was just a normal price, nothing to get excited over. I stopped in a couple more times over the first year or so to see if they had further markdowns, but no, same high prices, although they would have different stock in. Is that a normal business practice? It's the only time I've seen that, but I don't really take much notice of furniture stores in general.

There's a store next to the Madame Tussaud's wax museum in Hollywood that's been having a 'one day only' sale for at least the past seven years. Probably longer.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Karma Monkey posted:

I noticed a few shops like that in New York. 90% off! Last day! Closing Sale and it was just some generic shoes and purses tagged at insane prices. Seemed like a trick to fool tourists.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I also enjoy the Grand Opening!!! signs that have clearly seen several years in the sun

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

pentyne posted:

I've never got the point of people buying flavored oils. Usually the only valid use for them is in a professional restaurant that used it to add a specific flavor to a dish to make it a work of art. Most home consumers buying it just dump it into their mac and cheese and talk about how next level their cooking is. Truffle oil is a big one, people see "truffle oil" on fancy menus and go out and buy a $40 bottle of it to sit on their shelf and rarely ever use properly.

Or buy truffle butter and put it on the steaks before cooking, but forget to let the family member that's hella allergic to mushrooms know about it. :v:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My favorite shady local sale is when a store in my hometown advertised its "second annual going out of business sale." I have no idea.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dumb Moves in Marketing - second annual going out of business sale

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Karma Monkey posted:

Furniture stores just do that. Generally speaking stores like that have agreements with the companies that make the stuff that dictates the price that stuff can be sold for. Really that Serta mattress is going to be the same price at literally every furniture store in town no matter how big the discount is just because that's a requirement. It's dumb as hell but if a store quit doing that they'd lose business. It's also why clothing stores are perpetually having sales.

FrozenVent posted:

China's very much in the 21st century, they use the same calendar we do.

They're also well aware of Tiananmen Square. They just don't openly discuss it because that would upset social harmony and it's the last thing anyone want. The feeling I got when I spent a semester over there - with a bunch of western undergrads who loved to bring that poo poo up - is that they just don't give a poo poo, or pretend not to.

China's weird as gently caress.

Oh they do now? Huh. When did they switch to Gregorian calendars?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Senf posted:

Fandango just sent me an email with a subject line of "Beat the Heat at Century Theatres" and I'm thinking they probably could have worded that differently.

Maybe I'm the idiot here, but I don't get it. "Beat the heat" is a common phrase.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Maybe I'm the idiot here, but I don't get it. "Beat the heat" is a common phrase.

"heat" can be a reference to a firearm, e.g., "packing heat". Beating the heat in this case would mean sitting near an exit row and owning a good pair of running shoes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Furniture stores just do that. Generally speaking stores like that have agreements with the companies that make the stuff that dictates the price that stuff can be sold for. Really that Serta mattress is going to be the same price at literally every furniture store in town no matter how big the discount is just because that's a requirement. It's dumb as hell but if a store quit doing that they'd lose business. It's also why clothing stores are perpetually having sales.

I'm pretty sure that in some places it's illegal to mark a tag like that if the item was never listed at the "original" price.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

"heat" can be a reference to a firearm, e.g., "packing heat". Beating the heat in this case would mean sitting near an exit row and owning a good pair of running shoes.

That's a stretch, come on.

Personally I read it as "we have AC!", which is one of the main reason I still see movies in theatres these days.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

FrozenVent posted:

Personally I read it as "we have AC!",
Yes, that is the only way any sane person would see it.

Senf and Full Battle Rattle are both loonies.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nah, I'd agree it's a stretch. Could be seen in bad taste, but I can't remember the last time someone I knew referred to their firearm as a 'heater', it's not terribly common in today's lexicon.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Chard posted:

I also enjoy the Grand Opening!!! signs that have clearly seen several years in the sun

Every time I go to Chinatown in SF I'm always amused at how prevalent that type of sign is. I've seen STORE CLOSING CLEARANCE SALE on heavy-duty cloth/plastic banners, faded window decals, murals and even business cards.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Does anyone think they're making Chuck 2s so they can charge 30 extra dollars for the same shoe with a little bit of padding?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh they do now? Huh. When did they switch to Gregorian calendars?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah, I had just finished reading a few things about the recent shooting, so that's probably why the email struck me as weird. It's really not that bad at all v:shobon:v

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mulva posted:

She doesn't get enough credit, she is literally the greatest living troll. She got Tim Cook and the CCP within a few months.

She's the pop princess prom queen for the better part of a decade running. She gets plenty of credit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

pienipple posted:

Or buy truffle butter and put it on the steaks before cooking

:stare:

Uhhh...gonna pass on that one, thanks

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I'm pretty proud of the fact that I've never puked anywhere but my own home (one party, once, I get a mulligan on that), but when one of my coworkers told me to check UD when I said I didn't know what the Nicki Minaj song was about, I goddamn near puked at work.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"by makerhersquirt December 28, 2014"

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year posted:

"by makerhersquirt December 28, 2014"

What a dumb name lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A MLM mascara company, Younique (Get it? It's like UNIQUE and YOU!) is having all their pyramid scheme drones GO VIRAL by sharing videos of themselves in a specific format. The format has them staring sadly and silently into the camera revealing a handwritten page one at a time (Wile E. Coyote style) telling their story. At the end of their story, they lipsynch to a pop song with the chorus "THIS IS MY FIGHT SONG". Include a link to the Younique Mascara distributor's sales page, of course.

What's their story?

Their stories are all about sexual abuse that they have experienced. It's to "raise awareness". :rolleyes:
Search for "younique y song" or "younique fight song" and be amazed that a marketer can be so callous.

(Like all MLMs, the product is overpriced and sucks. It starts at $30/tube which is $11 more than department store staple Clinique)