Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know what made me think of this now, but I liked that in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the whole game was basically you telling a story to someone. When you loaded up a save, it would start with you saying something like,
"Alright,t now where were we?"

And if you died and reloaded, you'd go,
"No wait...that's not what happened."

Then the twist at the end is that you're telling this story to the princess, who you meet early on in the game and helps you out, but then like 99% of the game doesn't actually happen because you put the Sands of time back, so she doesn't know you or believe your cockamamie story.

I know it's been said about a million times, but if you liked that, drop whatever you're doing and go play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So Five Nights at Freddy's 4 has been released early, and I'm not going to get into the arguments about whether it's long in the tooth or whatever, but one thing I love is how it has completely embraced the jump scare formula. Your primary method of "defense" is to now listen out for the animatronics breathing and noises they make when moving around...and these are very quiet compared to other effects in the game so you'll need to turn up the volume a fair bit to hear them clearly, which of course means... :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pastry of the Year posted:

I know it's been said about a million times, but go play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

poptart_fairy posted:

So Five Nights at Freddy's 4 has been released early, and I'm not going to get into the arguments about whether it's long in the tooth or whatever, but one thing I love is how it has completely embraced the jump scare formula. Your primary method of "defense" is to now listen out for the animatronics breathing and noises they make when moving around...and these are very quiet compared to other effects in the game so you'll need to turn up the volume a fair bit to hear them clearly, which of course means... :allears:

Not to mention the ambient noises seem to blend too well with the breathing. Is it an animatronic or is it the wind? You'd better hope you know which or-AAAARGH and then you're dead.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

I know it's been said about a million times, but if you liked that, drop whatever you're doing and go play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

My Favourite 'Little' thing in Gunslinger is the sheer reverence Silas has for Bob Ollinger's Mean-rear end Shotgun, to the point that it's the only weapon in the game to get a boss card, and for the duration of the level, he always uses its full title.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking of Westerns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e0NNuELI-c

This here is the trailer for Payday 2's Western DLC, which gives you a bunch of kickass cowboy weaponry and even a bow. It features a quickdraw contest between Payday heister Dallas and a Cloaker (Splinter Cell-esque cop motherfucker).

My favorite little thing in it is that, of course, Dallas draws first because he's a criminal. Predictably, he also loses because of Niels Bohr' famous observation that the second shooter always wins because reacting to movement is generally faster than starting it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

poptart_fairy posted:

4? I thought 2 was just released?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Johnny Aztec posted:

4? I thought 2 was just released?

The series as a whole is less than a year old. The Five Nights series is basically the Episodic Content format that Valve hosed up so badly.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I JUST found out that Skyrim has special cinematic kills for unarmed kills. Like a right hook into a back-breaker over your knee; or a suplex.

And there are just enough perks and options to make unarmed workable as your main fighting skill. Everything is new.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know what made me think of this now, but I liked that in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the whole game was basically you telling a story to someone. When you loaded up a save, it would start with you saying something like,
"Alright,t now where were we?"

And if you died and reloaded, you'd go,
"No wait...that's not what happened."

Then the twist at the end is that you're telling this story to the princess, who you meet early on in the game and helps you out, but then like 99% of the game doesn't actually happen because you put the Sands of time back, so she doesn't know you or believe your cockamamie story.

While I love this narrative style, it also means that several times when telling his story, he said to her "...and then I fell into a spike pit and died permanently because I had no more sand left. Wait no, that didn't happen." No wonder she thinks he's a loon.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Captain Lavender posted:

I JUST found out that Skyrim has special cinematic kills for unarmed kills. Like a right hook into a back-breaker over your knee; or a suplex.

And there are just enough perks and options to make unarmed workable as your main fighting skill. Everything is new.

They were added in the big 1.4 patch. Since the natural claws get such a huge increase to base punching damage, the wiry ragged heroin addict can't-hold-up-in-a-real-fight catbeasts sort of accidentally turned into MMA fighters. When they can find the time from sleeper holding or neck twisting oblivious bandits, that is.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

jivjov posted:

The series as a whole is less than a year old. The Five Nights series is basically the Episodic Content format that Valve hosed up so badly.

Yeah the guy has been pumping them out. And each game has dlc (I think). But this is the last of the series so he seems to be stopping before he worn out the series.

In the end he will probably get notch levels of wealth off of jump scare the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shwqa posted:

Yeah the guy has been pumping them out. And each game has dlc (I think). But this is the last of the series so he seems to be stopping before he worn out the series.

In the end he will probably get notch levels of wealth off of jump scare the game.

None of the titles have separate DLC purchases listed on Steam, so if there was post-launch content, it was integrated as a patch instead of a separate purchase.

While I am not a fan of jump-scare horror games (unless I'm watching Markiplier play them), I really like episodic content like this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The dude is pretty much just shamelessly milking chumps for money with the same thing over and over, but the way he's doing it isn't really hurting anything so I can't really blame him for getting as much cash out of it as he can before moving on.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The dude is pretty much just shamelessly milking chumps for money with the same thing over and over, but the way he's doing it isn't really hurting anything so I can't really blame him for getting as much cash out of it as he can before moving on.

"Milking" is a bit harsh considering that he actually makes some effort to shake things up each game (2 gets rid of the locked doors and adds the mask and the puppet, 3 only has a single animatronic stalking you and adds the ventilation system, 4 lets your character actually move around and adds the breathing mechanic) and adds an overarching story when he could just as easily carbon copy the first game with different mascots and maps each time and still sell a zillion copies every time just from kids and furries.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Sleeveless posted:

"Milking" is a bit harsh considering that he actually makes some effort to shake things up each game (2 gets rid of the locked doors and adds the mask and the puppet, 3 only has a single animatronic stalking you and adds the ventilation system, 4 lets your character actually move around and adds the breathing mechanic) and adds an overarching story when he could just as easily carbon copy the first game with different mascots and maps each time and still sell a zillion copies every time just from kids and furries.

Yeah, for being rehashes of the same general concept, each entry in the series does have unique additions and mechanics. Its honestly one of the things I respect most about the series; its so easy for sequels (especially small indie sequels) to be "the same game with new maps" or whatever that having constant reinterpretation of the same "anamatronic suits out to kill you" theme is really neat.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
With Dragon's Crown, you can beat up your friends and your thief NPC in town. Great way to be dicks to each other and do extreme speedrunning movement strats with the dash attack.

However, there are occasional townspeople that walk by. You can *also* start knocking them down. Of course, if you do it too often in a short period of time you get sent to jail for your crimes of harassment. They let you out the 'next day' (seconds if you smash through the narration) for no penalty.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ah then just the last game will have DLC.

Honestly these aren't game that I enjoy, but they seem well made and clever. They pretty much trap you in a box with multiple monsters and say survive with limited resource and being unable to move. The story is ehhh, but told in a fun way, through a series of atari like minigames.

I'm certain not angry at the guy for making a living. There are worse ways to people have made living, like being a brutal warlord, human trafficking, or making the oatmeal.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

sticklefifer posted:

While I love this narrative style, it also means that several times when telling his story, he said to her "...and then I fell into a spike pit and died permanently because I had no more sand left. Wait no, that didn't happen." No wonder she thinks he's a loon.

I figure it's a combination of him being so confused from time-rewinding all those deaths, and from her jumping the gun and interrupting whenever he describes something dangerous.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

jivjov posted:

Yeah, for being rehashes of the same general concept, each entry in the series does have unique additions and mechanics. Its honestly one of the things I respect most about the series; its so easy for sequels (especially small indie sequels) to be "the same game with new maps" or whatever that having constant reinterpretation of the same "anamatronic suits out to kill you" theme is really neat.

The four games together tell a pretty neat story. The animatronics aren't actually evil, and the murdered children haunting them eventually do get revenge on their murderer. Depending on the player, they eventually find rest.

The fourth game seemed superfluous at first but ends up being a side story to the first three. You're the kid who got his head bit into by an animatronic, an event that triggered the restaurant's steady decline and leads to the first game. Except it was your douche of a big brother who shoved your head in the things mouth; none of the robots ever intentionally hurt a child.

Which brings to the neat thing about 4: the kid already suffered the loss of his frontal lone due to the bite, and the game takes place inside his coma. He loved the characters and hated the animatronic versions of them. His injury is why the coma-versions have such prominent teeth, and the random appearance of IVs and pills by his bed suggest he is at least still aware of the outside world.

His big brother is very sorry what happened, too. :smith:

The series is not the pinnacle of video games, but it's not phoning it in, either.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

The four games together tell a pretty neat story. The animatronics aren't actually evil, and the murdered children haunting them eventually do get revenge on their murderer. Depending on the player, they eventually find rest.

The fourth game seemed superfluous at first but ends up being a side story to the first three. You're the kid who got his head bit into by an animatronic, an event that triggered the restaurant's steady decline and leads to the first game. Except it was your douche of a big brother who shoved your head in the things mouth; none of the robots ever intentionally hurt a child.

Which brings to the neat thing about 4: the kid already suffered the loss of his frontal lone due to the bite, and the game takes place inside his coma. He loved the characters and hated the animatronic versions of them. His injury is why the coma-versions have such prominent teeth, and the random appearance of IVs and pills by his bed suggest he is at least still aware of the outside world.

His big brother is very sorry what happened, too. :smith:

The series is not the pinnacle of video games, but it's not phoning it in, either.

They do, however, hate adults ever since the kid's souls or w/e get wrapped up in the AI of the suits. FNF2 takes place during the week before the bite of 1987, with the actual bite happening that weekend on Day 7. They still attack and kill you during that time, while the store is still open. So the kids are safe, it's just the adults who aren't.

Which begs the question, why even have a security guard when the animatronics themselves are, at that point, a security system?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shwqa posted:

Ah then just the last game will have DLC.

Honestly these aren't game that I enjoy, but they seem well made and clever. They pretty much trap you in a box with multiple monsters and say survive with limited resource and being unable to move. The story is ehhh, but told in a fun way, through a series of atari like minigames.

I'm certain not angry at the guy for making a living. There are worse ways to people have made living, like being a brutal warlord, human trafficking, or making the oatmeal.

Oh boy, what lovely thing has he done?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RareAcumen posted:

Oh boy, what lovely thing has he done?

He makes The Oatmeal.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the sequels actually build a surprising amount on the gameplay of the first one. While I don't think it always really works well (ex. the flashlight and mask in the second one were both great mechanics, but I often wound up in situations where I had to use both at the same time, which the game won't let you do), the fact that he tries to make each one play very differently is really admirable. It would have been so easy for him to just keep repeating the same formula (like all of those games that just copied Slender), but instead they get increasingly complex. I think my favorite change (in the first 3, haven't played 4 yet) was the speaker mechanic where you finally had a way to sort of fight back against the animatronic by luring it away from you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

He makes The Oatmeal.

That's it?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RareAcumen posted:

That's it?

That's enough, isn't it?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
^^^ enuff-mind whoo. o/

RareAcumen posted:

That's it?

That isn't enough?!

death .cab for qt posted:

They do, however, hate adults ever since the kid's souls or w/e get wrapped up in the AI of the suits. FNF2 takes place during the week before the bite of 1987, with the actual bite happening that weekend on Day 7. They still attack and kill you during that time, while the store is still open. So the kids are safe, it's just the adults who aren't.

Which begs the question, why even have a security guard when the animatronics themselves are, at that point, a security system?

The company that reopened the restaurant are notoriously in denial about their killer robots. They downplayed or covered up what happened while they were in business children murdered by their ex-security guard, deathtrap mascot suits, etc until it pretty much ruined their business. The security guard was probably their way of making sure nothing got out, God help anything that broke in.

There's also some confirmation bias in what the guy tells you on the phone during the second game - the robots are fine with kids, and are probably using their facial recognition software on the adults ("they just... stare!"), but are specifically trying to kill you, the security guard, because it was a security guard that killed them and they want revenge. They probably got as far as recognizing the uniform before they said "good enough".

And of course, the company's solution for the next twenty years was throw security guards at the problem :v:

There's a nice touch when you beat "custom night" in some of the games - it's a level you can adjust the aggressiveness of each animatronic. Beating it "rewards" you with getting fired from your job. Reason: tampering with the animatronics :v:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
And to think: we all have Jim Sterling to thank for FNAF. One of the first, if only, game devs to take Sterling's criticism and turn it into money-making scare-cam-abusing series.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ApeHawk posted:

And to think: we all have Jim Sterling to thank for FNAF. One of the first, if only, game devs to take Sterling's criticism and turn it into money-making scare-cam-abusing series.

"Your 3-D models look like cheerful uncanny valley zombie robots"
"yeah, well, gently caress y- say..."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

That's enough, isn't it?

Literally Kermit posted:

That isn't enough?!

Dude didn't try to pay his artist in taco coupons or 'exposure' so not really?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Literally Kermit posted:

"Your 3-D models look like cheerful uncanny valley zombie robots"
"yeah, well, gently caress y- say..."

Scott didn't even do the "well gently caress y-" part. In fact he says that the uncanny valley zombie robots were what inspired him to do FNAF in the first place; his philosophy was that, he can't animate real humans realistically, so why not do creepy poo poo unrealistically. He's a very pleasant and humble guy. Even though it's technically not related to the game, I think that's my favorite little thing about the FNAF series. Scott Cawthon is just a nice guy that deserves his success for catching lightning in a bottle like he did.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I guess they can't all be Phil Fish.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
In GTA V if you knock a door off a car there will be a constant door open chime going.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Whenever I see "GTA V" and "door" my mind immediately jumps to the glitch where you get a car stuck in a door or gate, resulting in your car turning into a spaceship.

That's my favorite little thing about modern games and their high graphical quality now: glitches look more and more horrifying as the level of detail approaches life-like. Yeah, it's hilarious when a PS1 model glitches and spaghetti-arms, but when it looks like a real-ish person is doing the same, it becomes magic.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Dude didn't try to pay his artist in taco coupons or 'exposure' so not really?

Pretty sure that was the Torture A Catgirl comic guy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All this talk about FNAF almost makes me wish I could stomach it, it seems like it'd be a really nice puzzle game in line with some of what I enjoy and the story itself sounds kind of interesting. But I can't handle horror, especially jump-scare horror, so I really just can't manage.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Pretty sure that was the Torture A Catgirl comic guy.

Yeah, that's who I'm referencing. I rate that kinda stuff in the 'worse' category than making The Oatmeal. :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Scott Cawthon is an extremely Christian man, and that means he walks the walk and is a nice and humble guy.

And risking life and limb for some fast food job is totally something that speaks to his fellow Christians.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Only if it's chik-fil-a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Cleretic posted:

All this talk about FNAF almost makes me wish I could stomach it, it seems like it'd be a really nice puzzle game in line with some of what I enjoy and the story itself sounds kind of interesting. But I can't handle horror, especially jump-scare horror, so I really just can't manage.

You can just watch all the phone calls and mini games on youtube. It takes like an hour to get through all the games.