Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Moving, subaru style. This is one of a few loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I don't know if any of you are following MrChip's AI SA-GTE race season simulation (I'm convinced this is D&D for car nerds), I'm campaigning a proxy for my CTS-V wagon in it, and it's not doing too bad - 9th place in points!

in celebration of a decent run at the Nurburgring, I photoshopped the below together (with the source here):

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Rolling shot in the rain on the way to Camp allroad taken by a buddy of mine.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Pretty sure you own my favorite Audi. That thing looks tough.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

DropShadow posted:

Rolling shot in the rain on the way to Camp allroad taken by a buddy of mine.

MN :911: plate spotted!

That allroad is seriously my dream wagon.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I hate stanced cars in general but that one just does it so well, i don't know if it's the fender flares or what.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Killstick posted:

I hate stanced cars in general but that one just does it so well, i don't know if it's the fender flares or what.

His car is pretty far from "stanced"

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah there's no 45* camber and bicycle tires stretched on 9" wide wheels going in there, that Allroad is super tasteful and stands out for all the right reasons.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Don't allroads come with air suspension? I guess they have to take that out or can they raise it up

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

Don't allroads come with air suspension? I guess they have to take that out or can they raise it up

Only the earlier, A6-based allroads

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Steve French posted:

Only the earlier, A6-based allroads
Those are the ones the general advice is "avoid like the plague", right?

I really like the Allroad, too, it ticks all the boxes for me (AWD, Wagon, go-fast bits like turbos are available, manual trans relatively easy to find) but my budgets never seem to rise to the level where the good ones are.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ExecuDork posted:

Those are the ones the general advice is "avoid like the plague", right?

I really like the Allroad, too, it ticks all the boxes for me (AWD, Wagon, go-fast bits like turbos are available, manual trans relatively easy to find) but my budgets never seem to rise to the level where the good ones are.

I'm not sure if it's the A6 based one specifically but the stories I've heard of allroad reliability are terrifying.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

GramCracker posted:

His car is pretty far from "stanced"

Alright, "lowered". I'm not up to speed on the nomenclature it seems.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

8ender posted:

I'm not sure if it's the A6 based one specifically but the stories I've heard of allroad reliability are terrifying.

I've heard those stories too, which sucks because it seems like such an awesome car aside from them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I've heard those stories too, which sucks because it seems like such an awesome car aside from them.

This is the case for a lot of Audi models unfortunately :( The allroad is just a special case of ultra unreliability for VAG

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

Yeah there's no 45* camber and bicycle tires stretched on 9" wide wheels going in there, that Allroad is super tasteful and stands out for all the right reasons.

Aww shucks. Here's another shot since you were so nice.

No air suspension on the B8.5 allroad, as mentioned. Only offered in the U.S. with a 2.0T and 8-speed ZF automatic. It can swallow big, wide wheels with low offsets, which is one of its most appealing features to me. I don't think I've ever posted a laundry list of its mods, so here goes, from memory:

APR E85 Stage "2+" tune
034 High-flow cat
Magnaflow exhaust*
aFe Pro dry air filter
R8 coilpacks
H&R coilovers
Eurocode Alu Kreuz drivetrain stabilizer
Hotchkis H-sport sway bars
SPC adjustable control arms
034 transmission mount
Apikol rear diff mount
Eurocode silicone boost hose kit & turbo inlet tube
Eurocode high-flow intercooler pipe
OE Audi 3.0TDI intercooler
(*Had an AWE downpipe up until yesterday. I had it removed because it droned way too much.)

Front end respray and new clear bra
RS4 hatch spoiler
Instrument panel surround painted phantom black
20x10.5 BBS CH-R with 255/35/20 Michelin PSS and red center caps
Hoen 3000K fog bulbs
LED turn signal bulbs
LED reverse bulbs
LED interior kit
Semi-dynamic rear turn signals
New OE allroad grille with plate delete
OE S5 mirrors
Headlight reflectors removed
allroad “sport” badge
RS4 perforated flat-bottom steering wheel with paddles, matching lol automatic shifter
Black rearview mirror, and other black headliner & pillar pieces (working towards a full black headliner swap)
All the VCDS mods & adaptations I could throw at it.

Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, but you get the point.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 26, 2015

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

DropShadow posted:

Aww shucks. Here's another shot since you were so nice.

No air suspension on the B8.5 allroad, as mentioned. Only offered in the U.S. with a 2.0T and 8-speed ZF automatic. It can swallow big, wide wheels with low offsets, which is one of its most appealing features to me. I don't think I've ever posted a laundry list of its mods, so here goes, from memory:

APR E85 Stage "2+" tune
034 High-flow cat
Magnaflow exhaust*
aFe Pro dry air filter
R8 coilpacks
H&R coilovers
Eurocode Alu Kreuz drivetrain stabilizer
Hotchkis H-sport sway bars
SPC adjustable control arms
034 transmission mount
Apikol rear diff mount
Eurocode silicone boost hose kit & turbo inlet tube
Eurocode high-flow intercooler pipe
OE Audi 3.0TDI intercooler
(*Had an AWE downpipe up until yesterday. I had it removed because it droned way too much.)

Front end respray and new clear bra
RS4 hatch spoiler
Instrument panel surround painted phantom black
Hoen 3000K fog bulbs
LED turn signal bulbs
LED reverse bulbs
LED interior kit
Semi-dynamic rear turn signals
New OE allroad grille with plate delete
OE S5 mirrors
Headlight reflectors removed
allroad “sport” badge
RS4 perforated flat-bottom steering wheel with paddles, matching lol automatic shifter
Black rearview mirror, and other black headliner & pillar pieces (working towards a full black headliner swap)
All the VCDS mods & adaptations I could throw at it.

Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, but you get the point.

You guys don't get the RS4 do you? I was following one on the way to work this morning and its the only more muscly Audi I'd consider (if I had the money) over yours. Of course there's the RS6 too but that's just getting silly and I've only ever seen one or two.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

allroad “sport” badge

That's not the right badge, rear end in a top hat :colbert:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Aargh posted:

You guys don't get the RS4 do you? I was following one on the way to work this morning and its the only more muscly Audi I'd consider (if I had the money) over yours. Of course there's the RS6 too but that's just getting silly and I've only ever seen one or two.

Unfortunately for us, no. The allroad is literally the only wagon option for Americans right now, and I will be surprised if they offer the B9 here as an allroad or A4 Avant. I would love to own an RS4 or RS6, but both would be out of my price range. I'd be completely happy with an S4 Avant or allroad with a 3.0T. I'd love to see even the C7 S6 Avant or A6 allroad here, but we don't get those either.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wamsutta posted:

DropShadow posted:

Welp. Doesn't look terrible but the tires are a little narrow for the wheels. Still a nice wagon.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Larrymer posted:

Welp. Doesn't look terrible but the tires are a little narrow for the wheels. Still a nice wagon.

I wanted to do 265s but that size was on national backorder with no ETA in sight. Still, there's less stretch than I expected since the PSS is such a meaty tire to begin with.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It turns out that the W124 is the perfect size for hauling a deep freeze.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I loving love that allroad, it is perfect

Sent my Liberty to get some panels fixed. I also got the wheels sprayed the STI charcoal colour because im lazy and they dont show brake dust as much. I kinda think the look worse now...
Give me some positive affirmation before i just give up and buy some OZ superturismos!

Excuse the potato pics

For reference this is the clearest pic of the wheels before (honestly i dont have one this clear without my dog in it)

Bonus cautionary pic to show the effects of accidentally using the rear washer at 90kmh on a gravel road

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I like the gray, but I liked the silver more. Took a drive today and came across this Squareback. I wanted one of these hard when I was like 17...and still do. Much smaller in person than I expected.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

martinlutherbling posted:

I like the gray, but I liked the silver more.

Same :(

Squarebacks are sweet

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Help me become a station wagon person, thread. :(

I'm moving from one side of Canada to the other, I have a budget of <$5000 and I need something that'll get us and our pets across the country reliably while also being comfortable and enjoyable to drive. I've been looking at Outbacks/Legacys, also an Avant and an Allroad, possibly a Volvo 750/850? Which would be best, or should I look for something else entirely?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
If you want to get there and be able to find parts when it breaks down, and want a super-comfy ride for traversing the trans-canada, I can't recommend a B-Body wagon highly enough. Your mileage may suck a bit, but you really do get the feeling that you're rolling down the highway on a couch.

On the other hand, I currently own an Outback wagon, and it's been dead reliable. The base 2.5 won't light your hair on fire, but you're not going to be able to find a well looked after 2.5GT/XT for 5K. If you're planning on doing any exploring of forest roads, the Outback is the way to go. I don't have any experience with the Volvos or Audis, but I can't imagine that parts/reliability are going to be much higher, and finding parts for any non-domestics in the fly-over provinces can be ... difficult.

Some comedy options:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/kamloops/1980-amc-eagle-4x4/1072512914?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/vancouver/1981-ford-ltd-stationwagon/605442989?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Unless you're driving from Eastern Canada, in which case...
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/dartmouth/1996-cadillac-fleetwood-hearse-39km-2995-00/1077024405?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
:black101:

Simkin fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 16, 2015

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Don't go with an Allroad. In the rare case someone has swapped the air suspension for a coventional setup there are still too many early 2000s VAG issues IMO.

Source: my parents had one and it was poo poo .

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Cthulhuite posted:

I'm moving from one side of Canada to the other, I have a budget of <$5000 and I need something that'll get us and our pets across the country reliably while also being comfortable and enjoyable to drive. I've been looking at Outbacks/Legacys, also an Avant and an Allroad, possibly a Volvo 750/850? Which would be best, or should I look for something else entirely?

Realistically with that budget and mission I'd look at nice grandma driven Focus Wagon. They're mediocre for comfort and enjoyability but are also unkillable cockroaches that will do 300k+ without much drama. Parts are plentiful and dirt cheap, space is ample.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

I am driving from NS, and we saw that Hearse. A part of me just really wants to throw caution to the wind and fill the back of that with beanbags or something :buddy:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

8ender posted:

Realistically with that budget and mission I'd look at nice grandma driven Focus Wagon. They're mediocre for comfort and enjoyability but are also unkillable cockroaches that will do 300k+ without much drama. Parts are plentiful and dirt cheap, space is ample.

I was kinda avoiding Fords just because I've not had much luck with them in the past, and finding one under 250-300k is difficult enough. I'll extend my search a little and see if I can find a decent one without issues to consider. Thanks!

I love the look of that B-body though :allears:

Edit: Just found a Taurus wagon with a new MVI, new tires and only 50K on the clock - $3000. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Cthulhuite fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 16, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Cthulhuite posted:

Edit: Just found a Taurus wagon with a new MVI, new tires and only 50K on the clock - $3000. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Woah hold up. The Focus wagon is a cheap and cheerful little car with a bulletproof Mazda engine. The Taurus wagon was a terrible piece of poo poo with a boat anchor cold war era engine and breaks constantly. For your price range you're right to stay away from Ford, the Focus is the exception.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Can't go wrong with one of the more nicely designed wagons sold into NA in the past decade:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/bedford/mazda-6-sport-wagon/1094496059?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

or go to Wallyworld!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/bedford/mercury-grand-marquis-colony-park-ls-no-rust-2017-mvi/1094855849?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Ummm... or stretch the definition (and budget) a bit:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/bedford/2005-cadillac-srx-wagon/1085202866?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

drat that Mazda 6 is a great deal. Get that car.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cthulhuite posted:

Get a really nice Volvo 940 wagon. They're basically an updated 740, they're the last cars with the unkillable redblock engine, and you can get them either in turbo (fun) or non-turbo (slow). They're quite comfortable and possibly one of the most reliable cars ever made, and have a huge cargo capacity and 3300lb american towing rating. If you change the oil and do some other basic maintenance it'll just keep flyin' for 700,000 miles.

Then put some sway bars on it and it'll act like it's on rails through curves :getin:

e: drove my family around and camped in my V70R. wagnin'

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 16, 2015

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!
It took some tetris-ing, but I jammed 4x 255/55/18 tires and 4x 225/60/18 tires with rims in the Magnum to go get them swapped over. Pretty sure I could've gotten at least two more in there :getin:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

8ender posted:

drat that Mazda 6 is a great deal. Get that car.

The mazda 6 of that vintage is a rolling shitbox. More problems the more miles they get. I never had one pull into the dealership that didn't need gobs of work. A focus wagon is actually a good car and not terrible in the snow either.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

SouthsideSaint posted:

The mazda 6 of that vintage is a rolling shitbox. More problems the more miles they get. I never had one pull into the dealership that didn't need gobs of work. A focus wagon is actually a good car and not terrible in the snow either.

drat I thought they weren't bad, or at least anecdotally some friends and co-workers that own ones dont seem to have too many problems.

The Focus wagon is actually rather decent in the snow. Our family has a 2006 with 338k kms and its remarkably well behaved for the mileage. Tailgate solenoid is hosed and it picked up a cracked windshield and some rocker rust. Otherwise it just does its thing every day.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

My Mazda6 wagon was great for a long time, now it's at 160k miles and expensive things are breaking more often than I'd like. It's really too bad they didn't offer the wagon (at least in the US) with the four cylinder because the v6 has some real bullshit problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FancyMike posted:

My Mazda6 wagon was great for a long time, now it's at 160k miles and expensive things are breaking more often than I'd like. It's really too bad they didn't offer the wagon (at least in the US) with the four cylinder because the v6 has some real bullshit problems.

Like what? I've never heard anything bad about Mazda 6's in general, four cylinder or six both seem to be pretty drat reliable and cheap to keep.

• Locked thread