Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Now that Japanese players are occupied by Splatfest, it's really noticeable how many more people disconnect in Ranked matches. Its really frustrating since it just becomes almost impossible once you're down to 2 on 4 or something. Even seeing it happen to the other team makes me feel bad. I'm hoping I'm just observing outliers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Turf war camp triggerfish with an inkbrush is really, really nice. I had three games in a row with over 1100 points and that's without the victory bonus. Just throwing sprinklers on top of those narrow rear end walls.

:allears:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just picked this up, and in hilariously bad at it. I'm at lv8, getting matched up against mostly level 15-20s, and just getting destroyed. Any general tips for improving? I'm still playing with weapons, and I do best with rapid-fire stuff. I actually kind of like the default starting weapon, if only because the shield is really useful

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I just picked this up, and in hilariously bad at it. I'm at lv8, getting matched up against mostly level 15-20s, and just getting destroyed. Any general tips for improving? I'm still playing with weapons, and I do best with rapid-fire stuff. I actually kind of like the default starting weapon, if only because the shield is really useful

Try setting up ambushes by squidding around until you can get behind someone.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Buy a roller, watch and be amazed that after a little practice you kill everyone and score high. Just remember to flick most of the time instead of trying to run people over.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Spray wide, then come in from the side. fight like a total bastard, popping out of ink to sink fools works well with every weapon, except chargers. If you can get above someone, do so. Rollers's ranged attack can one shot people. When you unlock the inkbrush, come back to the thread and ask for advice on that weapon specifically, you'll need it because that thing handles differently from every other weapon.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Buy a roller, watch and be amazed that after a little practice you kill everyone and score high. Just remember to flick most of the time instead of trying to run people over.

This is very true, rollers don't take much skill to use effectively, but if you get really skilled with them, they're AMAZING.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Play the single player campaign; I got much better at online play after I beat those levels.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

oopsie rock posted:

Play the single player campaign; I got much better at online play after I beat those levels.

Yeah, do this. you'll get better and unlock weapons and have a good time to boot! Also, Keep a mind for defense, have an escape plan.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Also, just relax and have a good time. Find a way to play that is fun for you regardless of if your team wins or loses. If getting splatted aggravates you, focus on a gameplay style that keeps you from being splatted -- grab an ink brush and clean up near the base while the rest of your team rushes forward, and clean up annoying bastards that slip past and start inkin' ur turf.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks for all the tips, everyone! The paint brush is now available for me, but I haven't bought it yet. What's the general gameplay style like for it?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Thanks for all the tips, everyone! The paint brush is now available for me, but I haven't bought it yet. What's the general gameplay style like for it?

There was a lot of good tips a few pages back, in general:

• Jump and flick to cover turf, swim in in the covered turf to travel and refill ink
  • Put the brush down and run when you need to bug out
  • Throw sprinklers everywhere
  • Be extra defensive, stay behind the front lines, you won't win in a face-to-face fight. Be sneaky when you try to splat someone
  • Support your team by cleaning up ink islands, and providing your team with places to swim

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I just thought a Splattershot Jr and her to teammate a lesson today In Splatzone. Just because you're in a Bubbler doesn't mean that the L3 Nozzlenose want push you. I push all 3 of them in to one corner and keep them there until the Bubbler run out

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

the splattershot jr that you start with is a really good gun for getting used to the basics, a wide enough spread that you don't need to aim too well, and a great super

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fast ambush tactics but doesn't have the ink spreading or power of the roller.

The biggest thing to remember if you are just starting out is that when kid comes to squid it doesn't really matter how many kills you get on your enemies in Turf War. Your biggest focus is spreading your ink anywhere, which can include spending the beginning of the game just inking up your half of the area to ensure full coverage and allowing your teammates to move around easier.

Someone can get splatted and be back in the fight in six seconds, so don't chase down people just for your KDR. Spread ink for great victory.

E. Not that you shouldn't kill the enemies, but don't spend all your time chasing them down. Bring them to your ink and fight them on your terms. You gain nothing chasing them back onto their own ink besides a respawn timer, since their ink slows and damages you, and does not allow you to go squid.

VVVV Oh sure, it can be great, but for someone just starting out that kind of thing might be a bit odd.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 26, 2015

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Inkbrush is really good for offense too; you can loop around obstacles pretty fast and flank your attacker before they even have time to turn around, or close distances in seconds before going nuts with the flailing. I've fought a few of this kind of aggressive Inkbrusher before and they are just as scary as a good Charger in a fight.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I notice the inkbrush description mentions you move as fast as swimming - does that mean swim speed upgrades effect your movement speed while putting the brush down?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No, the brush speed and swim speed aren't linked, just similarly fast. Like all roller-types, there aren't any stats that will boost the weapon's movement speed.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Gotcha, thanks! Are there any specific bonuses I should aim for? Whether for specific weapons or in general. I've been going for charge speed up and enjoying it, so I can launch missiles loving everywhere.

Or are equip boosts just personal preference?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
ninja squid is cool

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tried the rapid fire blaster on ranked tower control, 19 splats 3 losses. :getin:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Different weapons and modes do have bonuses that help more than others but they don't matter much. Just choose loadouts you like (or like the look of) and have fun.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

A beginner's guide to Splatoon would be a great thing to see. Thankfully a lot of people in the thread are really cool and helpful. Thanks to everybody who's posted advice!

General Gameplay Tips

• Just like with any game, you'll get better with experience! Play the different maps and use different weapons and you'll learn a lot about the mechanics!
  • Similarly, the first player mode teaches a lot of skills useful in multiplayer. Plus it's good fun and has an awesome final boss!
  • Ink is affected by gravity. Anything that shoots ink outward, including a roller's flick attack, will travel in an arc. Since ink falls in front of you, 99% of the time you should not be aiming down at your feet. Also, you'll get better range shooting from higher elevation.
  • Swimming in ink is much faster than running! Swimming at full speed causes ripples in the ink, but swimming at half-speed does not. The gear ability Ninja Sped makes you never cause ripples when swimming in ink, but it lowers your top speed.
  • You can tap your spawn or any of your teammates to Super Jump to them anytime. Both the icons on the map and the buttons beside the map work. Super Jumping leaves an indicator for where you'll land though, so if an enemy sees it they'll probably be ready to splat you. You can fire your main weapon before you land, which means you can splat them if they get too close, especially if you're using a roller. Still, it's best to be careful about jumping near enemy ink. The gear ability Stealth Jump removes the indicator for where you'll land, but makes your Super Jump take longer to start up.
  • Inking the most terrain is only the main objective in Turf Wars. However, your ink lets your team move faster and use stealth. Inking important locations and paths is a good secondary objective, just don't lose sight of the main objective (inking the zones in Splat Zones, moving the tower in Tower Control, etc).
  • Remember X is a jump button! Jumping can get you a bit more range on your shots, which is especially useful for a Roller's flick. You can also jump over Seekers and Krakens. Also, many players jump around while firing - if you can adjust your aim faster than your opponent, this seems like a good tactic.
  • Since teammates can jumping to your position, surviving is valuable to your team. Please try not to get splatted!

There could be similar lists like this for weapon sets, stages, etc. If anyone has any good links or anything those would be great to see!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

GEARING

There are some perks you'll definitely want to avoid in certain situations:

-Special Duration Up if your special is the Inkstrike or Killer Wail
-Bomb Range Up if your sub is the Sprinkler, Beakon, Seeker, or Splash Wall
-Last-Ditch Effort in ranked mode (fairly often the match will end before the clock runs down to 0:30)
-Damage Up if your weapon is already a 1 or 2 hit KO (it will never turn a 2HKO weapon into a 1HKO)

STACKING: 3 sub-slots equal one main slot. After 1 main or 3 subs, you get diminishing returns (which isn't the end of the world, just be conscious of it).

BRANDS: Brands each have an ability that they're more likely to give you in a roll, and an ability that's less likely. Check here before giving Spyke tens of thousands of coins: http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Brands

EXCLUSIVE ABILITIES: Some abilities only show up as the main slot on a specific type of gear. Check those out first, because you'll never roll them as a sub.

Aside from that, just feel stuff out, test it in the range/recon, and go with your preferences. If you find yourself running out of Ink, go for Ink-saving/regenerating abilities. If you are dying a lot riding the Tower Control tower, maybe go for some defense.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 26, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
  • You heal much much faster when in ink. If you have low health, pop down in the ink for a few seconds. If nobody is near you, or you think you have a clever spot to hide, there's no reason not to just swim for a bit.
  • Killing other enemies leaves a giant bit of ink in your color.
  • You can trap enemies by circling ink of your color around them. They'll need to un-squid to jump away or try to ink a path to get away.
  • Use the environment and stealth to your advantage. See a tiny speckle of ink of your color in a giant sea of the enemy's? You can get in that little patch and squid without being hurt at all. Nobody will ever think to spray unless they're doing it idly, so you can easily hide there until someone comes into your trap, at which point it's too late for them.
  • You can hide in walls and on high ledges and other things as well.
  • Unfortunately, teammates like to jump to the guy closest to the other side of the base, or, especially, the only teammate left, so they can ruin your cover. Don't expect to stay too hidden for long.
  • You don't have to win every battle. Retreating successfully is much much better than being dead, even if you trade kills.
  • Remember that the tops of buildings and structures and high ledges counts for area in Splat Zone! I've seen way too many people ignore the tops of the three structures on Rig, when painting them can easily tilt the point.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Also if you're new, stick with the Splattershot JR until you're at a level where you can buy interesting weapons. Don't forget to test it first.

You can also be like me and buy them all one by one.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Top secret, super spoilery info on the paint bucket weapon.

It's called the Bloblobber, there will be 6 different versions of it, and it will be its own classification of weapon, separate from shooters, rollers, and chargers.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Oh man I killed 4 enemies because they were bunched up and threw an inkstrike at their spawn a few seconds later. I want to know how pissed they must have been to all die again.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Oh man I killed 4 enemies because they were bunched up and threw an inkstrike at their spawn a few seconds later. I want to know how pissed they must have been to all die again.

i bet they were all

quote:

well aren't we all a bunch of doofus'es :(

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Silentman0 posted:

Top secret, super spoilery info on the paint bucket weapon.

It's called the Bloblobber, there will be 6 different versions of it, and it will be its own classification of weapon, separate from shooters, rollers, and chargers.

I have not visited the Splatoon subreddit before, so I have a question: why the gently caress is it rated 18+?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Supercar Gautier posted:

I have not visited the Splatoon subreddit before, so I have a question: why the gently caress is it rated 18+?

squid girl is meant to be sexed and they know it

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you are an adult, then please only be horny for other adults. This is not a lot to ask.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

never go on reddit never go on reddit

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i'm not saying i'm horny for them, but it's clear that they are meant to be sexed and due to splatoon existing in a non-descript world, we can only assume that nintendo is following the overall japanese law and not ones set in place by governing precincts. if they follow the overall law, aoc is 13 and the squid girl is how old? 14. perfect for reddit and people who occassionally take an extra kalamari home when they go get sushi.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
source your quotes

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

i'm not saying i'm horny for them, but it's clear that they are meant to be sexed and due to splatoon existing in a non-descript world, we can only assume that nintendo is following the overall japanese law and not ones set in place by governing precincts. if they follow the overall law, aoc is 13 and the squid girl is how old? 14. perfect for reddit and people who occassionally take an extra kalamari home when they go get sushi.

Now I want the octolings to win.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
The Splatoon subreddit is actually pretty clean. Anything nsfw or any links to the nsfw version of the sub get deleted basically instantly.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Barnyard Protein posted:

source your quotes

japanese age of consent: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-age-consent-around-world-2802173

splatoon taking place in non-descript world: http://www.avclub.com/article/splatoons-mythology-key-one-readers-unified-ninten-220103

perfect for reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoonfanart/comments/3acla2/splatoon_fanart_by_the_creator_of_ika_musume/
https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/39zm72/callie_and_marie_fan_art/
https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/39a4i6/trying_to_hook_up_with_an_inkling_girl_in_the/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

[img] gif of girl inkling and octoling in 2 piece [/img]

I hope it doesn't get as bad as Pokemon did.

Edit:

Beast Boy nooo.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

lmbo sorry your post was so bad i just assumed it came from reddit

• Locked thread