Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

DrNutt posted:

So how far into the game do you have to be for most of this thread to make sense? I am in the early 20s and most of the posts go way over my head. The only other MMO I've played was Star Trek Online, but it's got even more of a focus on single player content than even FFXIV, and I'm sure that doesn't help my general illiteracy.

he1ixx posted:

I am glad I'm not alone. I'm closing in on 30 and felt like a boss wobbling around on my fat chocobo but reading this thread always makes me feel like a wee baby.

Haha, don't worry about it too much; the stuff that usually gets talked about here will start to make more sense post-50, especially the tank stuff and the raid chat. For now just enjoy pressing buttons at mans and appreciate how stupidly pretty the game is and how fun the encounters are, and remember to ask Goons for help whenever you hit a dungeon or whatever! (And if you aren't on Excalibur, get on Excalibur!) And if anything seems particularly curious, just ask and folks will be happy to explain. At length. DRK supremacy

teacup posted:

I wish we had a thread for just straight up newbie questions

When do we start getting new mounts? I've got a chocobo mount and that's it.

We're honestly hitting that uncomfortable point where one thread has difficulty containing all the chat, but it's arguable whether we have enough traffic to sustain a subforum.

Anyway, Realm Reborn 2.x content is a little thin on mounts; you'll get one as a subscriber bonus at 6090 days and you get one for beating launch 2.0's main plot, and not a lot beyond that. Heavensward throws mounts at you at a somewhat greater clip, and you'll get a variant chocobo, an aircycle-style personal airship, and a Spoiler Mount by the end. For mounts beyond that, you need to kill the Realm Reborn Extreme-mode Primals or do ARR beastman dailies.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

teacup posted:

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Mounts

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

teacup posted:

There's a few mounts you get as part of the story (black chocobo, manacutter, and Midgardsormr).

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
So I recently started, and my original plan was to rocket a WAR up to 3.0 then bring up a DRK as my 'real' main after that.

Everything was going according to plan, got my GLD to 22, got WAR to kill Titan . . .

Then progress came to a screeching halt.

Before Titan, I literally could just rocket up the MSQ line and get enough XP via sheer inertia to keep qualifying for further MSQs.

However, after Titan I needed to hit 35 before the next one, and then after that quick series of tasks I needed to hit 36. The pattern has held as I climb towards 38.

So now I am more or less clearing out every single quest in the area of the plot, and topping off on battle leves - instead of leaving all the side quests for alt classes. Doing piles of crazy +4 leves and such isn't getting me anywhere near as far along with XP as it used to, etc etc.

Now, this is all well and good and normal MMO grind curvature- just, this 34+ progress is slow as balls WITH sidequest support. Yes I can get almost a level a day for free by tanking a LLDR and such, but what I'm scared of is the 30+ grind when I get here with another class I plan to take all the way up. I get my best free time in sporadic huge chunks, and like to rocket up as fast as I can when I can. Hopping on every evening a bit for an instance is . . . not ideal. Meh.

Do I have the right of it, or am I forgetting something obvious that should be keeping me from getting speed-bumped while progressing the MSQ?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Positive posted:

What rotation did you use with 2/4 HQ? I know Refgetter and I did basically the same thing for ours but we finished around ~70-75% HQ chance and got lucky.
I ended up not having enough CP to Manipulation, so I only used Master's Mend II for durability restore and opened with PBPx2 > Rapid Synths.

I only used one Muscle, the rest was IG2 - RS. Two of my RS failed so I had to use an additional IG2. I used two Nymeias and one MM2 but I could ignore MM2 altogether if I had bad luck with HTs too and just stick to Nymeias. I went for full CP maintenance and ignored Precise Touch, I just refreshed CZ, HOT_, Nymeia at 2 stacks and did HTs super slowly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evader posted:

Yes I can get almost a level a day for free by tanking a LLDR and such, but what I'm scared of is the 30+ grind when I get here with another class I plan to take all the way up.

This is ameliorated by the Armory Bonus: every class/job that is lower level than your current highest class/job gets a 100% EXP bonus to nearly everything (except Challenge Log and Hunting Log stuff) below level 50, and a 50% bonus above level 50.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Evader posted:

Do I have the right of it, or am I forgetting something obvious that should be keeping me from getting speed-bumped while progressing the MSQ?

Every 5 levels you can do a "guildheist" in the duty finder menu that gives bonus exp / gil for first time completion PER JOB. Make sure you are doing those. Do your hunting logs. Those give nice chunks of exp. Make sure you are in a FC that has the xp buff turned on. Eat food to get another boost to xp. Daily roulette stuff is also a nice chunk of exp. Banking rested xp and then doing a dungeon usually nets you a level.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Even outside of dungeon roulette the experience is pretty drat good if you're doing level appropriate dungeons. As a tank you basically have instant queues as well, so it's just a matter of how much you're willing to do those dungeons. Some of them have really nice looking gear, so it can be worth it as a side mission outside of just breaking through story blocking.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Evader posted:

So I recently started, and my original plan was to rocket a WAR up to 3.0 then bring up a DRK as my 'real' main after that.

Everything was going according to plan, got my GLD to 22, got WAR to kill Titan . . .

Then progress came to a screeching halt.

Before Titan, I literally could just rocket up the MSQ line and get enough XP via sheer inertia to keep qualifying for further MSQs.

However, after Titan I needed to hit 35 before the next one, and then after that quick series of tasks I needed to hit 36. The pattern has held as I climb towards 38.

So now I am more or less clearing out every single quest in the area of the plot, and topping off on battle leves - instead of leaving all the side quests for alt classes. Doing piles of crazy +4 leves and such isn't getting me anywhere near as far along with XP as it used to, etc etc.

Now, this is all well and good and normal MMO grind curvature- just, this 34+ progress is slow as balls WITH sidequest support. Yes I can get almost a level a day for free by tanking a LLDR and such, but what I'm scared of is the 30+ grind when I get here with another class I plan to take all the way up. I get my best free time in sporadic huge chunks, and like to rocket up as fast as I can when I can. Hopping on every evening a bit for an instance is . . . not ideal. Meh.

Dungeons are the big thing. If you're approaching 38, then queue for a Qarn, eat food while you're in there, pull probably half a level per run.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hey fellow goons, I thought it would be interesting to learn the areas where a lot of us live. Go to this thread: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27575

Who knows, maybe we could have a meetup or something if a lot of us live in the same areas.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

:yikes:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mordiceius posted:

Hey fellow goons, I thought it would be interesting to learn the areas where a lot of us live. Go to this thread: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27575

Who knows, maybe we could have a meetup or something if a lot of us live in the same areas.

:chloe:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Mordiceius posted:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

For levelling a tank, when out of dailies and challenges and what have you, doing the highest level dungeon available gives the best xp/hr and equipment, and unlike quests or FATEs, you actually learn your job. Plus the dungeons are great.

Also the major problem I have with DRK is it just doesn't feel that great. It has great individual moves that are satisfying, but the overall rotations and such are unreliable or snoozeworthy. MP spends way too fast and is a pain to get back, and the only time it's ever not too bad is when grabbing huge packs of monsters, but it's not as fun as deliverance/bloodbath/berserk/overpower/decimate. There's also the everpresent threat of calculating something wrong on the fly and getting completely and royally hosed on a big pull by running out of MP. Dark Arts is so hideously expensive I'm afraid to use it most of the time, if not for being caught out of MP with my pants down, but spending 30 gcds 1-4-5ing to pay for a tiny burst.

None of this is hard, or makes it impossible to play, or means it's bad or unsuitable for raids, even though I fully expect some rear end in a top hat(s) to take it that way and poo poo their pants about it, I'm just not finding it anywhere close to as fun or rewarding as Warrior so far.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mordiceius posted:

{I'm not up for it.}

:gooncamp:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I live in Lavender Beds ;-*

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

What dps should I be shooting for as a bard? I installed ACT a few days ago since I'm still getting used to the 60 rotations and don't want to suck. Not sure if I've even got the thing configured right, but it says I did 816 and the MCH did 487 (lol, one more than the tank) in a Fractal run I just did.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

What dps should I be shooting for as a bard? I installed ACT a few days ago since I'm still getting used to the 60 rotations and don't want to suck. Not sure if I've even got the thing configured right, but it says I did 816 and the MCH did 487 (lol, one more than the tank) in a Fractal run I just did.

All dps classes should break a thousand on a training dummy with even moderately up to date gear. If you're above 1k, you're not a bad at least even if you aren't world's best bard.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Agrias Elms is still the best name I've encountered in FFXIV

I've been wanting to Steady Sword things since FFT. Let's hurry up with that next expansion, SE.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Mordiceius posted:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Depends on the gear and the fight. On a dummy with no party bonus and with a hive weapon, you want to be around 1-1.1k.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So I'm strongly considering transferring to Excal. Here's a question though: what are the odds that ill be able to find a group to do coil with me in the near future? I havent been playing that long and never got the chance to do it. I realize we're in the brave new world of HW but I really want to fight Bahamut, it looks fun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BattleCake posted:

So I'm strongly considering transferring to Excal. Here's a question though: what are the odds that ill be able to find a group to do coil with me in the near future? I havent been playing that long and never got the chance to do it. I realize we're in the brave new world of HW but I really want to fight Bahamut, it looks fun.

Final coil is ridiculously easy at 60 so you really just need to ask in FC and I'm sure you'll get some bites.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

BattleCake posted:

Thanks to the new raids a bunch of new statics are popping up. You could probably join one or start one easy enough, and do some coil runs just for fun and to practice coordinating as a group. Browse the organization forum on ffgoons.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

bonewitch posted:

Depends on the gear and the fight. On a dummy with no party bonus and with a hive weapon, you want to be around 1-1.1k.

Good to know, but I mainly asked since I'm a lovely casual who rarely touches EX content (so no hive weapon) and doesn't bother using dummies. Guess I'll beat one up and see how high I can get the numbers to go!

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
So I have a question about tanking the 4th floor of Alexander.

What's the point of having a tank on the leg not being killed?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

vanbags posted:

There is no point, and if you're in a group that's doing this, tell them to stop immediately.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Evader posted:

instead of leaving all the side quests for alt classes

That is an incredibly dumb thing to do and you should stop.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

vanbags posted:

Not necessary. The Manipulator itself copies the aggro of the leg currently being attacked, so all tank-targeting mechanics will target the tank attacking one leg. There is no need to engage both legs at once (and in fact when one goes down the other gets a full heal, wasting the damage you did).

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
When running level 50 content that syncs to i110, am I better off wearing my normal i170+ gear or should I have a set of i110 gear?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Pikachu posted:

When running level 50 content that syncs to i110, am I better off wearing my normal i170+ gear or should I have a set of i110 gear?

i170

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

SpaceDrake posted:

Not necessary. The Manipulator itself copies the aggro of the leg currently being attacked, so all tank-targeting mechanics will target the tank attacking one leg. There is no need to engage both legs at once (and in fact when one goes down the other gets a full heal, wasting the damage you did).
That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. If I'm the tank with aggro should I also be eating orbs?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

There's a few mounts you get as part of the story (black chocobo, manacutter, and Midgardsormr).

Midigardsormr. As opposed to Minigardsormr.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

booooo :mad:

I got to 54 WAR before having to quit for the night, and therefore picked up Fell Cleave. I'm now questioning myself for even bothering with getting DRK to 60. All those wasted hours. :smith:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm sad you can't have minions out while mounted because now I really want Minigardsormr riding on my shoulder while I ride Midigardsormr.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Still not the big one.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
loving idiot bads who don't grab lasers and dolls in A4 piss me off

e:V A2 took me the longest to clear because idiot df tanks wouldn't grab the dolls off the healers who were also being dumb spamming medica

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 26, 2015

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
Still can't clear A2

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

vanbags posted:

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. If I'm the tank with aggro should I also be eating orbs?

In phase 1, sure, doesn't matter too much who intercepts them as long as they can soak a 4-5k hit. In phase 3, absolutely not, as Discoid is a multi-part attack then, and soon after orbs spawn, you'll get shot in the face with a succession of 5k+ laser blasts from Manipulator's center eye.

Pikachu posted:

Still can't clear A2

:psyduck: I've never even seen an A2 fail if it wasn't being done goofily on purpose with Goons and I have no idea how a tank could be so asleep as to not pick stuff up in the normal mode of that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

SpaceDrake posted:

:psyduck: I've never even seen an A2 fail if it wasn't being done goofily on purpose with Goons and I have no idea how a tank could be so asleep as to not pick stuff up in the normal mode of that fight.

:negative: every time I do it we end up getting overwhelmed on the last bit and/or I run out of MP and the tanks die

I am not good at this game :ohdear:

• Locked thread