Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

casual poster posted:

Wow, active quen is the biggest waste of a point I've ever used

Don't use active Quen with the "stun explosion" upgrade and don't bother using it until you can respec and dump like three points into it right away. That way it basically becomes a superior blocking option, with the benefit of a self-heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Yall weren't kidding about the combat. Yikes. So much different than im used to in W3. And I'm only on Normal, God knows what it's like on "dark" or "insane". Also wow the whole control scheme in general is huge. It seemed so much less in W3 even though it's the same poo poo basically.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I beat Witcher 2 on dark mode pretty alright and I think I hated having to farm so much for money moreso than the constant use of rolling everywhere in the Northern Kingdoms. Because blocking and parrying was so much more difficult to do than in Witcher 3, all you could do was to roll to avoid the really drat high damage output from everything. Signs were a bit worse too with a fully upgraded Yrden almost comparable to a base Yrden in Witcher 3. The level differences weren't as big of an impact as they are in Witcher 3 either. In W3 a level 9 Nekker can sit and try to hit me at level 34 repeatedly and barely make a noticeable dent. In W2, I would die still in maybe 20 hits still. Despite whatever modicum of combat skill I had, I only got to maybe wave 12 or so in Arena mode and just stopped caring then. If you watch Youtube videos for Arena mode, wave 50+ Arena is completely insane and will make you poo poo your Mastercrafted Ursine Trousers.

JoshTheStampede posted:

3 points in Active Quen makes the game like two full steps easier. It's brutally overpowered to the point where it feels like cheating.
The "balance" to the 3/3 alt Quen Demigod Mode party is that while you're using it, you're not doing damage which prolongs the fight and it can only last as much as your stamina lasts - it's just a few blocks that happen to give you vitality. It give you margin for error which is the primary thing you're punished for at higher difficulty levels. For me, part of the Witcher series combat experience is about making a fight as easy or as hard as you'd like it to be where your lack of preparation is probably the deciding factor rather than some BS memorization of attack patterns after dying repeatedly like in Dark Souls style games. Using Quen just makes me feel like I'm just prolonging the battle and wears on my patience. The Quen shield does not prevent you from getting blown the hell away by a powerful attack by, say, a boss with a huge-rear end weapon. I'd be completely ok with active Quen use if there were more points where you just couldn't avoid getting hit otherwise sort of like how Eskel had to use Quen in the Battle of Kaer Morhen when Triss unleashed her artillery finally. Taking advantage of every possible tool you have is what you do as a witcher, dammit.

If enemies did stuff to mess you up like sapping your stamina (I think vampires should drain your stamina and keep it from regenerating, for example) or blocking adrenaline points or maybe even neutralizing your potions and oils, they'd be very challenging encounters. This is the same as the early game experience if you ask me though. But when you play the Witcher series again, you realize that you've actually gotten better and that you really are a better Witcher because you will effortlessly dispatch the same enemies that you would struggle with.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah it's pretty great. One of the only interesting parts of TW1.

"Amnesia huh? Oh, well, there's probably nothing anyone can do. Try not to worry about it too much. Just be your own man. Don't think about what you would have done if you remembered everything."

It makes her a waaaaaay more interesting character than "Oh I'm just a powerful, beautiful sorceress that loves you more than anything." She's the weakest in 3 because she doesn't seem to get poo poo done without Geralt. They could have had a quest to rescue her from Menge only to find she freed herself, or something along those lines.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Kiera is a better Triss than Triss so far in 3.

Edit: Speaking of becoming better Witcher, has anyone been able to tell the difference between Arenaria and Han Fiber by sight? I can look at most of the harvestable ingredients and tell you what they are, but these two seem borderline identical.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Reasons of State spoilers The only reason that confrontation occurs I think is because the playerbase would be hugely pissed off if they found out Dijkstra had Roche, Ves, and Thaler killed offscreen without them getting any input. Which is more realistically what Dijkstra would have done, and the only real writing flaw in the quest.

Yeah It's a shame how they wrote themselves into a corner with that quest. I don't really imagine many players choosing Dijkstra over the rest (oh boy 3 of the cooler characters in the series versus a guy who I guess was in the first game I don't really remember him) and it ends up leaving Dijkstra looking really dumb. He would know full well that there's no way his fat crippled rear end and a few thugs are going to overpower Geralt and a pair of badass guerrillas and he also knows that Witcher neutrality is a crock of poo poo, especially when it comes to Geralt.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah It's a shame how they wrote themselves into a corner with that quest. I don't really imagine many players choosing Dijkstra over the rest (oh boy 3 of the cooler characters in the series versus a guy who I guess was in the first game I don't really remember him) and it ends up leaving Dijkstra looking really dumb. He would know full well that there's no way his fat crippled rear end and a few thugs are going to overpower Geralt and a pair of badass guerrillas and he also knows that Witcher neutrality is a crock of poo poo, especially when it comes to Geralt.

They should have redone that quest imo. Make it so you can find some notes or something where Dijkstra talks about his plan to kill Roche and Thaler, and then you have a choice to call him out and fight him to the death in the bathhouse with some of his goons. Then later you can meet Roche and Thaler and explain what happened. And then Roche and Thaler can be all angry because they invested so much and are pissed that they didn't realize he would betray them. Or something

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

It makes her a waaaaaay more interesting character than "Oh I'm just a powerful, beautiful sorceress that loves you more than anything." She's the weakest in 3 because she doesn't seem to get poo poo done without Geralt. They could have had a quest to rescue her from Menge only to find she freed herself, or something along those lines.

She kind of does that in some versions of that sequence.

EDIT: I wouldn't call her strongly written in 1 though. Besides the amnesia thing, she's basically Yen-lite instead of Triss. All the way down to outright stealing dialogue from Book-Yennefer from time to time.

Snak posted:

Keira is cool as hell. On Thanedd she punched a dude out while wearing brass knuckles. Then later, after being thrown out a loving window and breaking a leg and a rib, she volunteers to go back in with Geralt to help him find Yen, just for revenge. She instructs him to carry her piggyback while she casts spells, like loving Master Blaster.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 26, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a complete crafting components wiki somewhere? There's nothing more frustrating than trying to figure out how a get a specific componant. I need "Silver" I have silver plates, and silver ingots and silver ore and pure silver and I have to check dismantle output of every one of those and each thing they dismantle into.

Dismantling and crafting should be in one menu that is a 2-way street. Switching back and forth between them is super annoying.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Snak posted:

Edit: Speaking of becoming better Witcher, has anyone been able to tell the difference between Arenaria and Han Fiber by sight? I can look at most of the harvestable ingredients and tell you what they are, but these two seem borderline identical.

As far as I can tell, arenaria, han and mistletoe use the exact same plant model. It's really weird, because there actually is a unique model for han flowers (you can see it in the bath house) that almost never gets used. :shrug:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, just to bitch about dismantling some more:

it's not intuitive. Things don't dismantle into their crafting ingredients. That's fine, it makes sense that they don't. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever what they do dismantle into. Why can refined metals be dismantled into ore? Is the blacksmith loving adding rocks into it? Refined versions of any metals should be usable where any level of refinement is required. If I have dark iron ingots, I shouldn't be dismantling into Dark Iron Ore because this armor needs raw ore, for some reason. That's really stupid.

This crafting system is well concieved, but its execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Also seeing what Roche did in Witcher 2, I still have a hard time believing Dijkstra and a few of his men could kill not only him, but Ves too. Roche butchered an entire camp on his own in Witcher 2, this should be a cake walk for him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

This crafting system is well concieved, but its execution leaves a lot to be desired.

You could really say that about drat near everything in this game on a mechanical level.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I think most aspects are executed well.

I think one of the worst executed things is the inventory and menu system. The menus are an huge part of the game, because you spend so much time in them. I'm sure they're basically fine on pc, but on PS4 they are laggy, awkward, and pretty inconsistent in how they can or should be navigated. Obviously it's not a dealbreaker, but considering how much they are clearly intended to be used in the game, it's one area that really could have used some more polish.

The other big place where there's room for improvement is the explanations of the mechanics themselves. An important design aspect of the Witcher is that there is not usually one piece of gear or one ability that will make you unstoppable. Stacked incremental bonus that add up to a big bonus is a major theme here. So why is it so hard to learn what these stats actually do? The character stats screen is a joke. Not only is horribly organized and missing lots of stats (Adrenaline generation +%s are not listed anywhere, despite lots of abilities and gear contributing to it), but it is currently not displaying the correct toxicity value. Who knows if anything else is displaying incorrectly.

Is "Chance for dismemberment" the same as "chance to instant kill?" I mean, there's no non-finisher dismemberment in the game. Or is it just cosmetic, increasing the chance of getting a dismemberment when you do an instant kill? Sword damage is always given as a range on the item, but on the character stats screen, it's given just as a number. Is that the average damage?

When I think of what they could have done to make this already fantastic game better, those are the things that pop into my head. The things that confuse and frustrate me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is there a bug with contract payouts and bartering? Just did Swamp Thing, demanded my pay immediately and it was 225 versus the 300 we agreed to. Never noticed this before.

Do people actually bother bartering? I've never done it - there's so little point due to how much money you get and how useless it generally is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Taear posted:

Do people actually bother bartering? I've never done it - there's so little point due to how much money you get and how useless it generally is.
If I think the contract giver is a dick, yeah, I'll barter just because I can. Also to make the numbers even.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
bartering seems pretty pointless, I don't think I have ever gotten more than 5-10 extra crowns from doing it.

Snak posted:

Sword damage is always given as a range on the item, but on the character stats screen, it's given just as a number. Is that the average damage?

I am totally guessing but I think the range displayed next to swords has to do with the state of repair it is in. If it is 100% repaired then it's the higher number and it slowly goes down to the lower number.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's kind of disturbing that after the game ends and you wander around, go to the Vegelbud estate and Patricia's body is still tied up in the bed. One would think they'd untie her and give her a decent burial. None of the servants seem to mind either.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Encountered a strange bug. The screen froze during a bit if dialouge with Kiera Metz, but I could still hear the voice acting. I could also hear the sound of my dialouge options being selected as I hosed about with the DPad.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Encountered a strange bug. The screen froze during a bit if dialouge with Kiera Metz, but I could still hear the voice acting. I could also hear the sound of my dialouge options being selected as I hosed about with the DPad.

And it'll crash if you finish the dialogue by guessing the options (or at least it did for me). You need to turn all the graphics to low to get through it. You can change them back as soon as you finish the dialogue.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Gorgolflox posted:

bartering seems pretty pointless, I don't think I have ever gotten more than 5-10 extra crowns from doing it.

I am totally guessing but I think the range displayed next to swords has to do with the state of repair it is in. If it is 100% repaired then it's the higher number and it slowly goes down to the lower number.

It's really unintuitive but just by selecting the bartering option you get a 10-25% boost to your payment (if you select the lowest option) everything after that is just even more bonus so even when it looks like you get nothing because the bar only goes up by 5-10 coins you end up getting way more. Coin is still relatively useless and easy to get though so there's that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So I started a second play through recently and havent decided how I want to invest my points yet...

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
drat, Imlerith's second phase really is bullshit. Who the hell thought teleporting a guy swinging a huge mace in wide circles right on top of you was a great concept for a boss fight?? It was kind of cool when I learned his attack patterns and actually managed to dodge his swings, but I still couldn't beat him on Death March, had to lower the difficulty.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Just finished Where the Cat and Wolf Play. It's amazing how quickly the Cat witcher's story goes from sort of sympathetic to "holy poo poo I cannot put my sword in you fast enough."

First, "They cheated me out of my reward and tried to kill me. I had to defend myself!"

Then, "Okay, so I kinda killed the whole village afterwards. My bad. I was having a really lousy day."

And finally Geralt asks how many times he's done this before and he just smiles. Jesus, pal, have some respect for the basic tenets of the Witcher economy.

It was a decent fight, too. I had great kit but I was still level 24 so we both gave as good as we got for damage. Then I got a finisher on him and got to watch his head merrily rolling down the slope. A+ quest, would decapitate again.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
If you have active shield, you can just brute force Quen your way through all the attacks until his weapon gets stuck. Then take a couple of swipes and repeat.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
I actually did try doing that, but I thought I'd run out of stamina before he finished attacking. Definitely sounds easier than how I ended up beating him, which is just dodging while keeping passive quen up. Is this fight any easier if you have that skill that reduces damage when rolling?

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Yeah I just sidestepped behind him and he missed every combo, then just kept rolling away every teleport until he does the combo again.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Oxxidation posted:

Just finished Where the Cat and Wolf Play. It's amazing how quickly the Cat witcher's story goes from sort of sympathetic to "holy poo poo I cannot put my sword in you fast enough."

First, "They cheated me out of my reward and tried to kill me. I had to defend myself!"

Then, "Okay, so I kinda killed the whole village afterwards. My bad. I was having a really lousy day."

And finally Geralt asks how many times he's done this before and he just smiles. Jesus, pal, have some respect for the basic tenets of the Witcher economy.

It was a decent fight, too. I had great kit but I was still level 24 so we both gave as good as we got for damage. Then I got a finisher on him and got to watch his head merrily rolling down the slope. A+ quest, would decapitate again.

the smile really sold it to me in terms of he's a murderous gently caress who does this often.

He also threatened to kill them all to their faces, so I really can't blame the town at all for being like, "oh gently caress how can we take out a skilled witcher?" and ambushing him.

There's a lot of people who disagree on this quest though. That's a testament to the writing but I simply can't agree that he deserves to live.

Me? I reloaded the game and killed him again just because he was that terrible a video game person.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I mouthed off to Roche just to see how he'd react. I learned a lesson - do not gently caress with Vernon Roche.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

He also threatened to kill them all to their faces, so I really can't blame the town at all for being like, "oh gently caress how can we take out a skilled witcher?" and ambushing him.

They could have just paid him like they said they would :ssh:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Regarding the Black Pearl side quest bug after 1.07: you can get the pearl before talking to the guy to go look for it. Make a save before talking to him on the bridge, then go see where he points you to look for the pearl and reload the save from before you talked to him. Now go for the pearl, it's going to be marked red anyway (also no other black pearl will work on him) and only then start the quest. You won't have to go swim to get it and you'll be able to fight the drowners the moment they pop put of the water.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Getting cheated out of your pay is a fact of life for witchers. If Geralt murdered a village every time someone stiffed him there'd be no one left on the whole continent.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gobblecoque posted:

because Saying "I'll kill you and everyone in the town" is a reasonable response to being cheated.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Re: Where the Cat and Wolf play:

I can't believe there's anyone who defends the Cat Witcher murdering those people. Yeah killing the guys who actually ambushed him? Sure. But when you are CSI-ing up the village, there's at least the one woman who ran into a house to hide and he stabbed here in the spine and killed her. He was literally chasing down defenseless civilians and murdering them out of spite.

Great little side story, though. Did anyone else get the (I assume) special dialogue for wearing the Feline set when you talk to him?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

Re: Where the Cat and Wolf play:

I can't believe there's anyone who defends the Cat Witcher murdering those people. Yeah killing the guys who actually ambushed him? Sure. But when you are CSI-ing up the village, there's at least the one woman who ran into a house to hide and he stabbed here in the spine and killed her. He was literally chasing down defenseless civilians and murdering them out of spite.

Great little side story, though. Did anyone else get the (I assume) special dialogue for wearing the Feline set when you talk to him?

The best dialogue is the one you get from
The little girl if you return to the town. :3:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

because Saying "I'll kill you and everyone in the town" is a reasonable response to being cheated.
When the job you just did involved fighting a teleporting woodspirit that can summon hordes of wolves and is terrifying and powerful enough that some villagers start worshiping it as a kind of malevolent mini-deity, yeah, I think getting a little madder than "aw, come on guys!" is somewhat understandable, if not appropriate.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ravenfood posted:

When the job you just did involved fighting a teleporting woodspirit that can summon hordes of wolves and is terrifying and powerful enough that some villagers start worshiping it as a kind of malevolent mini-deity, yeah, I think getting a little madder than "aw, come on guys!" is somewhat understandable, if not appropriate.

There's a few steps of reaction levels between "be a doormat" and "kill everyone", methinks.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. Plus Geralt has firsthand experience with the suck that is getting pitchforked.

On top of that, you have to wonder about the villagers being able to arrange the setup without talking about it. "Get the Witcher to the barn and occupy him while randomboy hits him with a pitchfork" has a lot of moving parts that would fall apart pretty easily...unless they had it planned out beforehand. Running down the rest of the village after fighting through the trap was pretty nasty though, but after fighting a tough murderbeast, getting cheated, set up, and pitchforked I'd probably be "gently caress these guys and their families" too.

We need an emote for "That's The Witcher!" for lovely ambiguous situations like :xcom:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So in the game's second act when you're gathering allies, what does Djikstra tell you if you successfully recovered the key and location of his vault? I imagine he still tells you to gently caress off, but more nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

So in the game's second act when you're gathering allies, what does Djikstra tell you if you successfully recovered the key and location of his vault? I imagine he still tells you to gently caress off, but more nicely.

He gives you 1000 crowns, which is useless because you're probably already swimming in money by then.