Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ That "You'll let me eat your brains if you love me" bit is tolerable because it's Suzanne Snyder being the bitee, and I'll brooke no disagreement on this :colbert:

While we're on a zombie bent, I've always been annoyed that in your Standard Romero Zombie Film, you see most zombies generally upright with a bite here or there.

But that tells a story of zombies taking a single bite out of someone and not doing anything else. There's only a handful of times where I've seen a potential zombie being actually picked clean by the undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RichardA posted:

Being unable to open a fridge from the inside relates to very old style fridges with mechanical locks - any modern fridge requires the exact amount of force to open from the inside as from outside.

How did Rorschach even get out of the fridge? WTF

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MisterBibs posted:

There's only a handful of times where I've seen a potential zombie being actually picked clean by the undead.
Day of the Dead is good for this. Most characters who are killed by zombies are literally torn to bits and then eaten.

Of course in Romero films literally everyone who dies from anything other than decapitation or cranial injury comes back as a zombie. Being bitten just gives you a horrible infection that speeds up the process. So a lot of the zombies in his films were probably never bitten at all.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

FreudianSlippers posted:

Day of the Dead is good for this. Most characters who are killed by zombies are literally torn to bits and then eaten.

Of course in Romero films literally everyone who dies from anything other than decapitation or cranial injury comes back as a zombie. Being bitten just gives you a horrible infection that speeds up the process. So a lot of the zombies in his films were probably never bitten at all.

And the scenes in Night of the Living Dead where the zombies are eating people show them ripping out organs and whatnot. It was way ahead of its time in terms of gore.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a lot of different takes on zombies and most of them are kinda dumb, yeah. I prefer the virus that makes people mindlessly violent and they just happen to consume flesh sometimes. But hey whatever rocks your zombie boat.

I kinda liked The Crazies. I mean it's not a good movie but it was a good concept. Part of the population goes insane, they can use tools and plan ahead. If there had been no way of recognizing the nutters and some of them were willing to play the long game it would have been paranoia on crack.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Can I just say that the entire movie From Dusk Till Dawn is irrationally irritating?

Its a fun movie I guess, and its Tarantino and Rodriguez, so it should be pretty fun times, right?

But its just loaded with this weird childish stuff. The penis gun. Tarantino-vampire self-insert. Titties everywhere.

Its probably one of the worst movies that Cloony or Keitel has ever been in. Although I'm sure lots of people think its pretty fun stuff. It was just too campy for me.

And I still really really hate "vampire-face". Who came up with that? Was Joss Whedon the first? It just looks so stupid. Either keep your vampires looking like humans ala Anne Rice or have them go full Nosferatu. The human-but-giant-forehead looks so stupid. They're a bunch of caveman vampires.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I agree - though there are a handful of genuinely amusing things to look at over the course of that movie, overall I never felt like it all added up to an enjoyable experience. It's just so loving dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
When you compare it to the Mariachi trilogy its night and day; its hard to imagine its the same director. I guess Tarantino and Rodriguez need to be separated like in Grindhouse, together they just add up to too much or something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Zaphod42 posted:

When you compare it to the Mariachi trilogy its night and day; its hard to imagine its the same director. I guess Tarantino and Rodriguez need to be separated like in Grindhouse, together they just add up to too much or something.

I keep forgetting Once Upon a Time in Mexico exists. I only vaguely remember the movie, but I think I was irrationally irritated that the movie kind of tried to be a sequel to Desperado, which I loved as a kid. I think I need to watch it again, see if it's as bad as I remember.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I keep forgetting Once Upon a Time in Mexico exists. I only vaguely remember the movie, but I think I was irrationally irritated that the movie kind of tried to be a sequel to Desperado, which I loved as a kid. I think I need to watch it again, see if it's as bad as I remember.

I don't think its bad but its definitely different in tone. Not as different as From Dusk Till Dawn, though! :cheeky:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was pretty disappointed when I saw it in theaters but a few years later I dug it out and it was actually pretty decent.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Zaphod42 posted:

:psyboom: I never noticed that
The graphic novel is crammed through of things like that. One of my favorite little bits is the debris (especially newspapers and magazines blowing around) when Jon and Laurie return to New York.

"I will give you bodies beyond imagining"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe give the recent From Dusk Till Dawn series a shot if you liked it kind of but not really? It's the same overall storyline of the first movie but longer and with different actors and stuff.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Desperado was awesome, FDTD was really cool and OUATIM sucked rear end.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Now that it's been almost twenty years since From Dusk Till Dawn released, you have a good shot of watching it with someone and saying "Hey check out this classic movie starring Quentin Tarantino. It's another one of those quirky crime films."

I had the pleasure of doing this with my girlfriend and the reaction was pretty great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dusk Til Dawn is the best film Robert Rodriquez has done.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I am hesitant about re-watching any of Rodriguez' movies that I loved as a kid, because after two decades of exposure to his less than stellar work I am afraid I will only see all the same flaws in Desperado et al. that I just glossed over because HOLY poo poo, DUAL MACHINE GUN GUITAR CASE!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I am hesitant about re-watching any of Rodriguez' movies that I loved as a kid, because after two decades of exposure to his less than stellar work I am afraid I will only see all the same flaws in Desperado et al. that I just glossed over because HOLY poo poo, DUAL MACHINE GUN GUITAR CASE!

Just inoculate yourself, watch as much Spy Kids 4 before any of the movies you want to see and it'll all be fine.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Frostwerks posted:

How did Rorschach even get out of the fridge? WTF

watchment techonology is much further advanced than the real world, so they have safety fridges obviously. thanks jon

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
The finale of Wayward Pines was just offensively bad.

Spoilers!

The fact that the first generation kid got shot in the gut, passed out, and then just walked around is loving idiotic. I can deal with the Abbies, but the way this show treated medicine and injuries was retarded.
Also, it's like they wrote the show not knowing where to go with the characters, so some sadists at the beginning become saints in the end... gently caress this show.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

Spoilers!

You might want to try using tags.

This poo poo ain't hard, son.

Here, let me show you;

Jurassic World:
What was going on with the Jimmy Fallon video in the gyrobubble? Its so desperately obnoxious that it dickpunched me right out of the movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LeJackal posted:

Here, let me show you;

Jurassic World:
What was going on with the Jimmy Fallon video in the gyrobubble? Its so desperately obnoxious that it dickpunched me right out of the movie.
I thought that was really funny. It was totally something that would exist in a park like that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought that was really funny. It was totally something that would exist in a park like that.

Yup. They paid Jimmy Fallon to do a half info half kid-friendly skit movie for some big attraction, I can totally see a theme park doing that.

Now, that money probably could have been more practically spent on an automatic recall/autopilot system for the gyroballs when, say, Godzilla v0.25 gets out and they hit the big red EVAC button. But celebrities!

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

LeJackal posted:

Jurassic World:

I don't know if you've been to Walt Disney World lately, but a celebrity cameo intro video like that is absolutely the kind of thing that a park like that would do. Off the top of my head, the Mission To Mars ride features Gary Sinise, Soarin' features Patrick Warburton, Ellen DeGeneres and Bill Nye are in an EPCOT ride video...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Specifically, Jimmy Fallon does that same kind of slapstick safety video for the tram tour at Universal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

Spoilers!

The fact that the first generation kid got shot in the gut, passed out, and then just walked around is loving idiotic. I can deal with the Abbies, but the way this show treated medicine and injuries was retarded.
Also, it's like they wrote the show not knowing where to go with the characters, so some sadists at the beginning become saints in the end... gently caress this show.

According to someone who has read the books the character issue is because they combined two people into one.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Arrath posted:

Now, that money probably could have been more practically spent on an automatic recall/autopilot system for the gyroballs when, say, Godzilla v0.25 gets out and they hit the big red EVAC button. But celebrities!

Being irritated at the sheer lack of emergency security/evacuation failsafes and procedures in that movie is in no way irrational, but I'm gonna :argh: about it here anyway. Even if only to protect itself from liability, corporate would enforce that poo poo to the nines.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

LeJackal posted:

Jurassic World:

I just wish they had gotten Jeff Goldblum, not as Dr. Ian Malcom, but as Jeff Goldblum.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

sticklefifer posted:

Being irritated at the sheer lack of emergency security/evacuation failsafes and procedures in that movie is in no way irrational, but I'm gonna :argh: about it here anyway. Even if only to protect itself from liability, corporate would enforce that poo poo to the nines.
Before it was InGen, it was

Despite branching out, their corporate commitment to terrible decision-making remained.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Oh gosh, I could list about a thousand movies and tv shows where lazy writers ignored the notion of fail-safe ystems and just made every single thing fail-deadly.

My personal ur-example is Star Trek, in just about everything from exploding consoles that kill bridge crew to that Satan-spawn warp core. Better not turn on the coffee maker and the microwave at the same time in the crew lounge, or the warp core actively tries to skullfuck the ship to death in a bizarre murder-suicide.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

LeJackal posted:

Oh gosh, I could list about a thousand movies and tv shows where lazy writers ignored the notion of fail-safe ystems and just made every single thing fail-deadly.

My personal ur-example is Star Trek, in just about everything from exploding consoles that kill bridge crew to that Satan-spawn warp core. Better not turn on the coffee maker and the microwave at the same time in the crew lounge, or the warp core actively tries to skullfuck the ship to death in a bizarre murder-suicide.

The best thing about Star Trek in this respect is there's one episode where they note that Data bypassed seven separate safety interlocks to cut off the oxygen supply to the bridge. Yes, every single console on the bridge is wired to an explosion generator, the inertial dampeners don't work properly, the transporters can sometimes kill you or duplicate you, but we septupled up on the oxygen security.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fil5000 posted:

The best thing about Star Trek in this respect is there's one episode where they note that Data bypassed seven separate safety interlocks to cut off the oxygen supply to the bridge. Yes, every single console on the bridge is wired to an explosion generator, the inertial dampeners don't work properly, the transporters can sometimes kill you or duplicate you, but we septupled up on the oxygen security.

To be fair, you can cope with falling over when the ship turns a lot more easily than you can breathe in deep space.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jedit posted:

To be fair, you can cope with falling over when the ship turns a lot more easily than you can breathe in deep space.

Yeah, but maybe if you're going to make sure you can always breathe you could also make sure the equipment your bridge crew have to sit next to are plugged into surge protectors.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

The thing that really gets me about this is that the movie is supposed to be a sequel in which they acknowledge that the first movie happened, and that people died as a result of it. If Jurassic World was a full on reboot (or even a remake) then I think I could forgive them for lacking all of that poo poo because they would have no idea what they're dealing with, but as it is right now, it just stands out to me as being really dumb.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

You would think that "We don't want to have our pants sued off of our asses and/or don't need the bad press" would be a strong enough motivation for companies to enforce regulations and safety precautions and whatnot. But then you have stuff like Sea World and its love for homicidal whales because they draw money.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I worked at Lake Compounce where 3/4 people died in 4 years (last one was a falling tree branch, but I definitely worked the first 3). That park is still running.

It doesn't have dinosaurs, even.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What, did the family choose to not pull the plug on the 1/4 still alive?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Ug, this plugs into another irritation; over-explaining poo poo.

Star Trek does this all the drat time, see this example. Was it needed to say 'seven' safety interlocks? gently caress no, you could just say 'he bypassed all the safety interlocks' which maintains the drama/impact of the statement and - here's the bonus, it doesn't make the audience scratch their heads and wonder why so many drat interlocks.

Take a look at another space-fiction case, Star Wars. In the original trilogy, they don't explain anything beyond what is needed to move the story along. Do we get a ten minute lecture on the physics of lightsabres? Nope - we are told that it was the traditional weapon of the Jedi Knight and shown that it chops off arms and makes pewpew lasers bounce aside. We find out why it matters (context) and what it does, all in the course of moving the plot forward/building characters
Then the new prequel trilogy comes around and you get poo poo like the midichlorian bullshit which bogs down everything and nut-kicks you right out of the narrative with the sheer implausibility and contradictory nature of the so-called 'explanation' that just offers confusion and follow-up questions. Why is this midichlorian poo poo being used? What purpose does it serve? It doesn't add drama, it doesn't develop characters, it doesn't advance the plot, or reveal anything meaningful about the universe or anyone in it.

Script writers just get so up in their own rear end sometimes trying to explain poo poo that they don't even understand, its indulgent and bad.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I agree. I think films/shows could benefit from just starting the story and let the details come out naturally as the viewer spends more time watching. It also leads to awkward and strange exposition dumps where a character explains something to another for no reason. It'd be like if you and I took a car journey and I just casually started explaining the combustion engine out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
That's what mad Fury Road so great. They don't explain what a black thumb is, they don't show immortan joes rise to power or poo poo like that.
Here's the universe, this story takes place in it, you'll pick everything else up.