Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Cumslut1895, how did you come to be less liberally-minded than the 1960 National Government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

Cumslut1895, how did you come to be less liberally-minded than the 1960 National Government?

I'm a time traveling Young Conservative

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Serious question for Cumslut1895:

Based on the outcome of their original trials, should Arthur Allan Thomas, David Bain and Teina Pora have been executed for the crimes they were accused of? What about notable cases overseas like Mahmood Mattan, Timothy Evans, Derek Bentley or Ruth Ellis? What about Walter James Bolton? Are you comfortable with his execution for murder in 1957?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Cumslut1895 posted:

lol okay buddy

I am serious - is there an adult or care giver with you? I'd like to chat with them.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

:allears:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

Based on the outcome of their original trials, should Arthur Allan Thomas, David Bain and Teina Pora have been executed for the crimes they were accused of? What about notable cases overseas like Mahmood Mattan, Timothy Evans, Derek Bentley or Ruth Ellis? What about Walter James Bolton? Are you comfortable with his execution for murder in 1957?

Yes, at the time of the trials i would have advocated that. I would have been wrong. It's worth pointing out that falsely imprisoning someone for the best decades of their life, and leaving them with no career, family or friends, as well as an inability to make new connections with anyone is almost as bad as executing them

As a funny aside, I googled Teina Pora, and the sidebar said:
Born: June 9, 1975 (age 40)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

Yes, at the time of the trials i would have advocated that. I would have been wrong. It's worth pointing out that falsely imprisoning someone for the best decades of their life, and leaving them with no career, family or friends, as well as an inability to make new connections with anyone is almost as bad as executing them

As a funny aside, I googled Teina Pora, and the sidebar said:
Born: June 9, 1975 (age 40)

So you would have demanded that 2 demonstrably innocent people be basically murdered, and another where there is significant doubt about his alleged guilt.

And what about the executions of Mattan, Evans, Bentley, Ellis and Bolton? Are you fine with those? Remember, they were found guilty of the crimes they were accused of, and executed shortly afterwards.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
It's great that once in a while a total weirdo drops by this thread and really unites us all.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It's great that once in a while a total weirdo drops by this thread and really unites us all.

I didn't even mind that dusty posted!

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cumslut1895 posted:

Either the person passing the sentence, or one of the main people giving evidence should have to pull the trigger.

I do not believe you have thought this all the way through, professor cumslut.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

So you would have demanded that 2 demonstrably innocent people be basically murdered, and another where there is significant doubt about his alleged guilt.

And what about the executions of Mattan, Evans, Bentley, Ellis and Bolton? Are you fine with those? Remember, they were found guilty of the crimes they were accused of, and executed shortly afterwards.

Obviously not with the facts known now. I know there is a problem with lazy police work convicting innocent people.
I didn't say this earlier, but execution should only apply in cases where there is no possible misidentity*, circumstantial evidence is not enough.
In the case I linked earlier, they were at a 'family gathering' and presumably someone saw them do it.

* clear camera footage, multiple witnesses, very clear DNA evidence that fits other evidence etc.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Derek Bentley didn't even pull the trigger, so what was actually supposed to execute him?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Rube Goldberg machine.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

All points of view warmly accepted.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

If the machine is triggered by him sneezing, does it count as a suicide?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

Derek Bentley didn't even pull the trigger, so what was actually supposed to execute him?

I don't support those 'criminal partnership' laws

Infotainment! posted:

I do not believe you have thought this all the way through, professor cumslut.

Huh?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Cumslut1895 posted:

Obviously not with the facts known now. I know there is a problem with lazy police work convicting innocent people.
I didn't say this earlier, but execution should only apply in cases where there is no possible misidentity*, circumstantial evidence is not enough.
In the case I linked earlier, they were at a 'family gathering' and presumably someone saw them do it.

* clear camera footage, multiple witnesses, very clear DNA evidence that fits other evidence etc.

So you support a third verdict; Extremely Guilty?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

"Cumslut1895" posted:

Huh?

Walk down the street, see a murder. Get subpoenaed to the witness stand.
Do not purjor yourself.
Congrats, you now have to kill someone.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

But a second ago, you said you would have been fine with calling for executions for people that were likely to be, or have a very high possibility of innocence.

Have you actually thought your argument through?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Were executions done before cameras and DNA evidence illegitimate? Or is ancient Jewish law OK, where all you need is 2 witnesses for someone to be stoned?

I feel like the less generalized a death penalty argument becomes, the less relevance it has in the real world and the more it becomes some strange, aggressive form of moral superiority. But hey, what do I know. I'm not a cumslut!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Cumslut 1895, a serious question: What do you think the purpose of the justice system is?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

You know, at the end of the day, I don't want my society to kill fellow human beings. Weird. Therefore I don't want the state to do it on my behalf. Strange.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

I don't support those 'criminal partnership' laws

Really? Despite the fact that earlier, you said you would have supported the death sentence imposed on Derek Bentley at the time of his trial.

Cumslut1895 posted:

Vagabundo posted:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

So you support a third verdict; Extremely Guilty?

There are already two standards of certantity in the criminal court, and they are connected to the severity of the punishments that can be handed out, why not add another

Infotainment! posted:

Walk down the street, see a murder. Get subpoenaed to the witness stand.
Do not purjor yourself.
Congrats, you now have to kill someone.

Yes okay, you have a good point. Probably not a good idea to scare away witnessess

Vagabundo posted:

But a second ago, you said you would have been fine with calling for executions for people that were likely to be, or have a very high possibility of innocence.

Have you actually thought your argument through?

I didn't read the details of the case. Obviously, if the evidence was poo poo, they shouldn't have been convicted of anything

Vagabundo posted:

Really? Despite the fact that earlier, you said you would have supported the death sentence imposed on Derek Bentley at the time of his trial.

Did you really expect me to google like seven names?!?!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Somfin posted:

Cumslut 1895, a serious question: What do you think the purpose of the justice system is?

The brutal extermination of human beings with little to no oversight on how or why it's done, obviously

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I welcome this

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Cumslut1895 posted:

I didn't read the details

:prepop:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

I didn't read the details of the case. Obviously, if the evidence was poo poo, they shouldn't have been convicted of anything

So you'd be perfectly comfortable with calling for the deaths of people without giving much thought or scrutiny into the cases presented against them. Good to know.

Cumslut1895 posted:

Did you really expect me to google like seven names?!?!

Yes, you lazy gently caress.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Bad person do bad thing? Do bad thing to them! *goes back to painting on cave wall with wet ash*

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

3 Things:

1) help people who can actually be helped to stop hurting society

2) Contain people who can't be helped

3) Allow victims to have at some sense of revenge* by ensuring their victimizers are suffering to some degree

*Important to stop feeling helpless

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

So you'd be perfectly comfortable with calling for the deaths of people without giving much thought or scrutiny into the cases presented against them. Good to know.

Yes, you lazy gently caress.

uh, i'm guessing that the court system has a little more information about cases than the google database

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe you should your views on Justice here. They would er, appreciate it more.

But seriously, your "Views" are horrifying in content and lack of thought.

Comedy option: Kill everyone as everyone is guilty of something and man exists as nothing more than a miserable pile of secrets.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

gently caress me, we're just talking about overhauling our entire criminal justice system to be drastically more fatal than anyone sensible would be comfortable with - why should I need to read anything or be prepared to back my arguments up?
What is this, Nazi Germany?

E: I went to take a dump and then there were like ten posts. Someone will give me a precis if it was important, right?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

3 Things:

1) help people who can actually be helped to stop hurting society

Yeah, you've really made a compelling argument for that, haven't you?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

3) Allow victims to have at some sense of revenge* by ensuring their victimizers are suffering to some degree

*Important to stop feeling helpless

I actually do agree with you on the first two points.

Why this last one?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vagabundo posted:

He wants to help them become their true selves, skeletons.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

this does not include people who set other people on fire.

Somfin posted:

I actually do agree with you on the first two points.

Why this last one?

Seeing the people who did horrible things to them hurt makes people feel better. People don't like to admit this, but it's true. and I care more about the victims than the perpetrators.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cumslut I am interested cos I like points of view :) What about Peter kitchen? A lot of grief for his loss, killed after a group of drunk and doped out youths went out looking for homosexuals to beat up in Napier. Beat Peter to death for being gay. Killers received manslaughter convictions and were out after less than 5 years served.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

this does not include people who set other people on fire.

What about Ruth Ellis' victim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

What about Ruth Ellis' victim?

He sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but he didn't deserve to die. What's special about her case?

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Cumslut I am interested cos I like points of view :) What about Peter kitchen? A lot of grief for his loss, killed after a group of drunk and doped out youths went out looking for homosexuals to beat up in Napier. Beat Peter to death for being gay. Killers received manslaughter convictions and were out after less than 5 years served.

that's exactly the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. 5 years for beating someone to death

• Locked thread