Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

Seeing the people who did horrible things to them hurt makes people feel better. People don't like to admit this, but it's true. and I care more about the victims than the perpetrators.

Why do you think that is true of everyone?

Why should we not aspire to be better than this?

Why should we, as a society, cater to the assumed sadism of victims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

He sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but he didn't deserve to die. What's special about her case?

According to your earlier argument, he wouldn't have been too far off. You know, like regularly beating the poo poo out of her, and at one point, hitting her in the stomach while she was with child, causing a miscarriage. Or are you now suggesting you're comfortable with that sort of thing?

Cumslut1895 posted:

Anyone convicted of a vicious enough assault*, rape or murder should be executed.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

Why do you think that is true of everyone?

Why should we not aspire to be better than this?

Why should we, as a society, cater to the assumed sadism of victims?

It is my experience, with several people, that this is true. I'm not a psychologist.

I think out version of being 'better than this' is shaming victims into 'forgiving' people.

Sadism is the wrong word. It's about regaining power, which is important for people to recover.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

According to your earlier argument, he wouldn't have been too far off. You know, like regularly beating the poo poo out of her, and at one point, hitting her in the stomach while she was with child, causing a miscarriage. Or are you now suggesting you're comfortable with that sort of thing?

That * is important. Assault that causes serious,permanant physical or neurological disability. I don't know what I think about miscarriages. He should have gone to prison for assault, for a long time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

Sadism is the wrong word. It's about regaining power, which is important for people to recover.

Isn't that exactly what Ruth Ellis was trying to do?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So I assume that bankers and other such people would be killed too, since they cause untold misery and indirectly cause a lot of deaths

And alcohol producers/suppliers

Doctors too, since people die under their care

To think all these killers we could be Justicing to death are just walking around in our civilised society.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

That * is important. Assault that causes serious,permanant physical or neurological disability. I don't know what I think about miscarriages. He should have gone to prison for assault, for a long time.

Can't be bothered looking up the psychological trauma of a miscarriage on an expectant mother?

mirthdefect put it rather nicely.

mirthdefect posted:

gently caress me, we're just talking about overhauling our entire criminal justice system to be drastically more fatal than anyone sensible would be comfortable with - why should I need to read anything or be prepared to back my arguments up?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

So I assume that bankers and other such people would be killed too, since they cause u told misery and indirectly cause a lot of deaths

And alcohol producers/suppliers

Doctors too, since people die under their care

To think all these killers we could be Justicing to death are just walking around in our civilised society.

Terrible analogues should also be executed for killing my brain cells.

Vagabundo posted:

Isn't that exactly what Ruth Ellis was trying to do?

Yes. in this case, Imprisoned in an unpleasant prison probably would have been enough.

Vagabundo posted:

Can't be bothered looking up the psychological trauma of a miscarriage on an expectant mother?

I don't think psychological trauma is enough. It's bad, but you don't end up entombed in your own body (but technically 'alive', so it's not murder)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Mrs Evans: in order to make up for the murder of your grandson, the Court orders you to brutally shoot this guy in the head.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

Mrs Evans: in order to make up for the murder of your grandson, the Court orders you to brutally shoot this guy in the head.

I already agreed that part was stupid

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

It is my experience, with several people, that this is true. I'm not a psychologist.

I think out version of being 'better than this' is shaming victims into 'forgiving' people.

You don't believe in forgiveness as a concept, though. Other people do. Should we shame them into accepting that it is morally right for people to suffer?

Also if "ensuring their victimizers are suffering to some degree" doesn't sound like sadism to you I don't know what to tell you

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If you save someone's life you get a card that allows you to kill anyone you want at a later date. Everything needs to be balanced.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

You don't believe in forgiveness as a concept, though. Other people do. Should we shame them into accepting that it is morally right for people to suffer?

Also if "ensuring their victimizers are suffering to some degree" doesn't sound like sadism to you I don't know what to tell you

read that as 'having lives at least as unpleasant as theirs' I don't want to turn the justice system into a Saw movie

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

If you save someone's life you get a card that allows you to kill anyone you want at a later date. Everything needs to be balanced.

Doctors are terrifying gods of death

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

You can only do it in the same way, and you HAVE to do it. Save a pedestrian from stepping in front of a bus? The price must be paid - you've got six months to find someone who deserves it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

read that as 'having lives at least as unpleasant as theirs' I don't want to turn the justice system into a Saw movie

Seems to me that you know that sadism is seen as a bad thing, but you also want our society to cater to yours. I don't want my justice system to be based around the idea that everyone feels better when someone else suffers.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cumslut1895 posted:

Loosing your husband would suck, but actually being murdered would be a few order of magnitude worse

Worse from whose persepctive? A no-longer conscious person's?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

Worse from whose persepctive? A no-longer conscious person's?

a person in the processes of dying. I assume it's painful and terrifying.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

Terrible analogues should also be executed for killing my brain cells.

Does this mean we can hang you from a tree for killing our braincells with your lovely arguments?

Cumslut1895 posted:

Yes. in this case, Imprisoned in an unpleasant prison probably would have been enough.

But aren't you all about victims getting their own back on the ones who've victimised them?

Cumslut1895 posted:

I don't think psychological trauma is enough. It's bad, but you don't end up entombed in your own body (but technically 'alive', so it's not murder)

You have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cumslut1895 posted:

Doctors are terrifying gods of death

Yep.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/5044885/One-in-three-doctors-support-euthanasia.html

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

a person in the processes of dying. I assume it's painful and terrifying.

That says a lot about you.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

But aren't you all about victims getting their own back on the ones who've victimised them?

and depending on how badly she was hurt, knowing he is wasting his life trapped in prison should be enough for the relatively lesser (but still pretty horrible) things he did.
that said, he'd probably have never been convicted, at the time.

Somfin posted:

That says a lot about you.

I can't imagine dying, especially from being shot like that is very fun.

Cumslut1895 fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 26, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

wasting his life

You honestly prefer this to someone who has done wrong becoming someone useful to society.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cumslut1895 posted:

Seeing the people who did horrible things to them hurt makes people feel better.

*Citation needed

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

You honestly prefer this to someone who has done wrong becoming someone useful to society.

that guy probably wasn't fundamentally broken. come to think of it, he's probably one of those people I mentioned earlier who could have actually been helped.

And honestly, apart from the miscarriage, she'd have been okay.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

A human heart posted:

*Citation needed

Read on, he's totally talked about this with a bunch of his real friends and they all agree with him, so it must be everyone else who's wrong.

Cumslut1895 posted:

I can't imagine dying, especially from being shot like that is very fun.

Why do you live in such a binary place? Everything isn't either 'fun' or 'painful and terrifying.'

I think that dying is a process of closure, of peace, and of memory. I seriously doubt that the brain would keep the 'pain and fear' parts active when it could devote its last dying reserves to the 'peaceful oblivion of dreams' part instead.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

Read on, he's totally talked about this with a bunch of his real friends and they all agree with him, so it must be everyone else who's wrong.

Why do you live in such a binary place? Everything isn't either 'fun' or 'painful and terrifying.'

I think that dying is a process of closure, of peace, and of memory. I seriously doubt that the brain would keep the 'pain and fear' parts active when it could devote its last dying reserves to the 'peaceful oblivion of dreams' part instead.

In my experience your body takes every opportunity to screw you, I can't imagine it wouldn't gently caress up something as profound as dying.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Cumslut1895 posted:

people should be encouraged to forgiving those who have wronged them. In some cases, shaming would be appropriate.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

Seems to me that you know that sadism is seen as a bad thing, but you also want our society to cater to yours. I don't want my justice system to be based around the idea that everyone feels better when someone else suffers.

Thoughts?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

and depending on how badly she was hurt, knowing he is wasting his life trapped in prison should be enough for the relatively lesser (but still pretty horrible) things he did.
that said, he'd probably have never been convicted, at the time.

So now you're arguing that she shouldn't have been allowed to seek what you think counts as justice.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

klen dool posted:

people should be encouraged to forgiving those who have wronged them. In some cases, shaming would be appropriate.

So you're a fan of the Duggar Family method of problem solving?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

What, concealing crimes and then claiming that forgiveness had been granted? I don't think that's what anyone's arguing for here.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

Are you trying to suggest that if someone doesn't agree with you, they're incestuous paedophiles or enablers thereof?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

So now you're arguing that she shouldn't have been allowed to seek what you think counts as justice.

justice for far worse crimes than that. I'm talking about people like Josef Fritzl, or Anders Breivik

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Cumslut1895 posted:

I haven't heard of that method, but I presume you are trying to imply I am okay with an underage person being molested in order to discredit my opinions.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

Are you trying to suggest that if someone doesn't agree with you, they're incestuous paedophiles or enablers thereof?

I'm saying that shaming people until they pretend to forgive someone is a tool used by the supporters of abusers

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

justice for far worse crimes than that. I'm talking about people like Josef Fritzl, or Anders Breivik

But earlier on, you said people who commit assault should be deemed as tantamount to murderers. Why are you now trying to downplay domestic violence and literally assaulting pregnant women?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

So you are specifically keying your entire system of justice to the easiest, most direct cases where the outcomes are known and the perpetrators clear.

Please don't opine on the idea of justice until you actually serve on a jury.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

I'm saying that shaming people until they pretend to forgive someone is a tool used by the supporters of abusers

By specifically suggesting that anyone who you don't agree with enable sexual abuse. I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a clue: neither the punisher nor judge dredd are intended to be viewed as heroes.

• Locked thread