Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Everyone break out the baby photos

:kimchi:

Ritz was just under 6months old here, the day we got him. He shares a hatchday with my girlfriend :)

His little footies were so black as a baby. They're all pink now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Greypearl, I don't know how you do that. No loving way Hannah would ever let me do that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I pick up Ozy in my hand and slowly roll her backward. Soon I'll be able to pinpoint the exact degree where she starts biting the poo poo out of my knuckles.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop can't handle being held on her back without something to cling to. It's why I can put dice in her talons. If I don't get her to hold on to something, she tries to cling to my fingers or lays there with her feet shivering.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I tried giving Ozy dice. I figured she'd like to throw them around given the way she treats her ball, but she was scared of them.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Greypearl, I don't know how you do that. No loving way Hannah would ever let me do that.

It's a very fine line-- she's sort of the opposite of Boop, where if there is anything in her claws she will want to try to get up. To get to that position I actually have to pick her up by her beak in one hand, and then place the other hand on her back and flip her over. This is the intermediate position:

I dunno, it's a wonder I still have fingers to type with. I think it's because I do a lot of wrestling with her beak, so she is very comfortable with me holding her there. She doesn't mind seem to mind either procedure (unlike nail clipping, which is apparently pure torture and has devolved into her flying away if I open the bathroom drawer).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm so impressed by what a good girl Pearl is :kimchi:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I want an African Grey :(

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Come to think of it, I've never seen an African Gray wearing a costume before (for obvious reasons). It looks adorable, though! I'm glad she trusts her family enough to allow a little silliness.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

Socially Oblivious Cockatiel.

Steve, he isn't preening you. Ohtori, leave him alone, he doesn't know any better. No bite.

Steve is my favorite bird in this thread. Such a ridiculously photogenic derpatiel.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Here's 1m of the first 30m of every drat morning before work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53Z97p705U

Grraarrgghh fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 24, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

Socially Oblivious Cockatiel.

Wait, was Steve was trying to mount Ohtori?

Edit: here's another derpatiel pic

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Khizan posted:

Steve is my favorite bird in this thread. Such a ridiculously photogenic derpatiel.

He got me £30 or so from a magazine for being photogenic three years back! (blocked out potentially identifying stuff)

Here he is with a stubby babby crest during a recent molt.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Wait, was Steve was trying to mount Ohtori?

Nope, that would have made sense (and Steve doesn't do that kind of thing)

He just wanted to walk past Ohtori, but couldn't manage it, and didn't realise or care where he was standing :derptiel:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkEth_0eAHk
From the Japanese cockatiel channel earlier- pretty much bird.flv

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

sarmhan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkEth_0eAHk
From the Japanese cockatiel channel earlier- pretty much bird.flv

"DON'T TRY TO CLEAN MY POOP UP!" to "ungghh time to masturbate" in just a few seconds

Yep.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

Goldy loves his baths.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Bobby the forever molting Quaker.

Doraemon.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Live, molting grey-rear end shitlord.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Baby Taco!

This was him on the morning after he came home with us:

A few weeks later, feeling more comfortable at home and around us:

A more recent photo of him helping us play X-Wing:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This is a picture of young Charles and his siblings from the breeder. He's second from left

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What a sinister omen.

I was ready to post some pics of baby Connie (she's just over two, that's still a baby for greys) even though she's not my bird but the all the pictures of her are on my old phone, I guess, excepting one with her person in it too. Are there any good phone apps for blurring out faces or w/e?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

it's cold in Seattle this morning so I put on a sweater.

Alexis loves sweaters.

My backpack is inexplicably her favorite object, and will happily play on it (non-destructively!) for extended periods of time if I set it on the couch. I think she just loves all the different textures.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 25, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Why do cockatoos look so cute when they fluff up their cheeks? Maybe it's because it hides their wicked beaks.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 26, 2015

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
So today I brought home my first parrot breed, a cockatiel. He seems very unsure of his surroundings so for the night I have him covered up, but he doesn't seem to be eating or drinking anything, is this normal? He seems well tamed, and used to people as he has no trouble going on a persons finger, in fact that's how I managed to get him into his new cage, no aggressiveness but he did want to try to fly off after too long staying still. How long should I be giving him before I try to get him used to my hand using treats?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Griffball posted:

So today I brought home my first parrot breed, a cockatiel. He seems very unsure of his surroundings so for the night I have him covered up, but he doesn't seem to be eating or drinking anything, is this normal? He seems well tamed, and used to people as he has no trouble going on a persons finger, in fact that's how I managed to get him into his new cage, no aggressiveness but he did want to try to fly off after too long staying still. How long should I be giving him before I try to get him used to my hand using treats?

That sounds the same as my experience.

Initially just make sure there's food and water easily available. He'll find and use them eventually.

Make sure to spend a lot of time near the cage, talking to the bird, maybe sing or play an instrument a bit if you can. The important part is getting him used to your company without being scary.

Two days after getting Pion home, I was able to slowly start hand-feeding her some millet, and a week later I could take her out of the cage and she's sit on my head, shoulder, hands etc.

Things I did which you probably shouldn't:
I kept rearranging the cage at first. That might have scared Pion more than necessary.
Just make sure you have a perch high up for sleeping on, and that pooping from the perches won't contaminate the food and water. Toys can wait a few days.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

nielsm posted:

Initially just make sure there's food and water easily available. He'll find and use them eventually.

Make sure to spend a lot of time near the cage, talking to the bird, maybe sing or play an instrument a bit if you can. The important part is getting him used to your company without being scary.

Two days after getting Pion home, I was able to slowly start hand-feeding her some millet, and a week later I could take her out of the cage and she's sit on my head, shoulder, hands etc.

I kept rearranging the cage at first. That might have scared Pion more than necessary.
Just make sure you have a perch high up for sleeping on, and that pooping from the perches won't contaminate the food and water. Toys can wait a few days.

Yeah for now I've got him next to where I spend most of my time studying, so hopefully he'll get used to me easily.

Griffball fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 26, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

I'll also say this seems normal. Most of the birds I've kept as pets have been very shy in their cage at first and don't eat or drink much at first. But if you leave it in the one spot, eventually they will come down and eat and drink. Remember most pet birds are prey animals and are more tamed, rather than domesticated like dogs or cats, and even one that comes as a baby from a breeder that hand-raised them will have a period in which they are a bit suspicious of this strange new, giant mammal with terrifying naked appendages that is staring at them and making noises at them and that recently took them away from their home. Even if they have been living with another strange giant naked mammal. This one is different! Different is confusing! Birds that seem calm enough to have a nibble at your finger might still be too shy to eat.

Making sure you don't move their food and water around too much, and making sure it's not somewhere it's going to get pooped on, is the most important thing to do. For food it can help a great deal to offer the same or similar feed to what they're getting from their breeder, then transitioning them onto what you want to feed them. Smarter species are more accepting of different foods in my experience, probably because they are slightly better at telling the difference between "food", "rock", and "potential sexy-times partner", but even derptiels will figure it out eventually.

I distinctly remember with every new pet bird the terrible anxiety that comes from the bird just sitting there looking confused and seemingly refusing to eat or drink - and then the eventual relief they realise they are more hungry for food than they are scared about giant fleshmammals and decide to go have something to eat.

I also found singing, even badly (the only type of singing I am capable of), is very helpful for calming birds down. Captain Bitey chilled out a lot when I started singing what I could remember of our choir's lineup. It amounted to Rocky Horror and It's A Long Way To Tipperary but he seemed to like it. He also doesn't squeak as much if I put the radio on in the afternoon/evening when all the wild lorikeets and cockatoos are squabbling over where to sleep. Talking to your bird is also a great way to calm them down and get them more used to you. I try to avoid sticking my hands in their cage or moving them around for at least the first couple of days, and just sit nearby, where they can see and hear me. When they first come out for the mandatory cuddle session, I make sure they know how to get back into their cage and that it's somewhere safe and nice to hang out, where they can eat and sleep and chill out. Eventually they get it. But it can be very confusing and strange for a young bird who may well have only seen one or two rooms in its life to this point and probably not more than a handful of humans.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also, Captain Bitey McAfee is officially a boy!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cockatiels aren't supposed to be panting after 1-2 minutes of uninterrupted flight, are they? :ohdear:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sure they can-be it through fear, or just not being used to flying for more than quickly getting from A to B.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

Why do cockatoos look so cute when they fluff up their cheeks? Maybe it's because it hides their wicked beaks.

The clear color delineations on caiques always make it look like they're wearing clothes to me :allears: Like little orange pants and a green coat.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also, Captain Bitey McAfee is officially a boy!
:toot: Welcome to the world of being a hardcore man bird Captain :clint:

nielsm posted:

Cockatiels aren't supposed to be panting after 1-2 minutes of uninterrupted flight, are they? :ohdear:
They definitely can be, especially if they're not generally big flyers (fliers?). Judah flies a lot less by choice even when his wings aren't trimmed (because SOMEONE has trouble with hormones every spring) than my previous cockatiel so he's kind of a slovenly goon when it comes to sustained flight, though I'm trying to work on that.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

nielsm posted:

Yep, then can (again). Birds with a minor clip will have to expend even more energy to fly (which means you will sometimes see crash landings), so if he's clipped that could contribute as well.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, a combination of clipped wings and lack of use due to being a lovely pet who doesn't have to fly ten kilometres every day to get food can make pet birds have to go to a lot of effort to fly. My dad's pet sparrow was in no way bred as a pet bird and had unclipped wings, but was mostly a lazy butt who didn't have to do very much in the way of flying at all, and while she could get up into a tree, she was obviously working much harder for it than her wild friends.

She did fly away once and got pooped out enough that she decided to fly into a neighbour's window at afternoon tea time and start eating their biscuits. They then put up a notice on the town corkboard saying they'd found a "small brown canary".

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

They then put up a notice on the town corkboard saying they'd found a "small brown canary".

gave me an IRL laugh, ty

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
This picture from a recent @BirdsThoCo post just tickled me for some reason:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Taught Ohtori to scratch his head on command today. :v:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Guys I'm the worst birb owner on the planet :( we're house sitting for our neighbors who have two dogs (pugs) daisy's cage was open, and she decided to come out. I was right there but one of the dogs jumped at her and got a couple of her tail feathers. There was no blood or anything, but I feel absolutely awful. I put the dogs in their kennels and took her to another room and sang to her until she stopped shaking. She's now safely sleeping in her cage but I hope she doesn't hate me forever :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
You're not the worst birb owner, and mistakes happen. Thankfully Daisy only lost feathers, those will grow back and be ok. She won't hate you, odds are she was more of wtf that scared me than anything.

Now you know to keep either Daisy locked up or the dogs (dogs should be of course!) Don't beat yourself up over it, she's ok, you're ok, it was a scary learning experience.