Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

freebooter posted:

I know it's wrong but I still pronounce it "AN Gyoo Ah" in my head.

That's how the audiobooks do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
So something I only realised while re-reading Raising Steam, the missing link between Anoia having gone from a volcano goddess to things that rattle in drawers - it's the smell of sulfur. She's a massive fart joke.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Pidmon posted:

So something I only realised while re-reading Raising Steam, the missing link between Anoia having gone from a volcano goddess to things that rattle in drawers - it's the smell of sulfur. She's a massive fart joke.

:pusheen:

I always just thought it was some funny quirky weird thing but that...seems like exactly the kind of pun he'd do.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Reene posted:

:pusheen:

I always just thought it was some funny quirky weird thing but that...seems like exactly the kind of pun he'd do.

The phrasing being a bit worse than normal in Raising Steam was what tipped me off because it straight up said 'things that get stuck in YOUR drawers' rather than the 'rattle your drawers' type thing from previous books.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Just got and am reading A Slip Of The Keyboard, a collection of Pratchett's assorted nonfiction fragments. Mostly writing about writing. Vastly entertaining and you should read it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

divabot posted:

Just got and am reading A Slip Of The Keyboard, a collection of Pratchett's assorted nonfiction fragments. Mostly writing about writing. Vastly entertaining and you should read it.

This and A Blink of the Screen are both really very good. Pterry was obnoxiously talented even as a 13 year old.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I just finished The Long Utopia. It was OK, but the ending felt rushed.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jedit posted:

I just finished The Long Utopia. It was OK, but the ending felt rushed.

This works as a review of any of the Long Earth books, IMO.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Sanford posted:

This works as a review of any of the Long Earth books, IMO.

ehh, they were fine. I read the first one twice, the others once. Haven't read the last yet, just got and will do so shortly. Probably not twice though. They're workmanlike chunks of SF prose with nice ideas, just ehh not loaded with Pratchett sparkle. ehh.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I decided to start Monstrous Regiment because it seemed fairly standalone, and I was a huge fan of Pratchett's take on soldiers and war in Jingo. When suddenly: Vimes! :unsmith:

I thought I had read all the Vimes there was and I am so excited to see there is more out there!

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

YggiDee posted:

Agnes Nitt (and Perdita) was one of my favourite parts of Carpe Jugulum and I kinda wish she was in more books. Or at least showed up. Or was ever mentioned ever again.
My version of this complaint is Sacharissa Cripslock from The Truth. I wanted the media to become the new Watch (which would also have allowed Vimes to be written as an antagonist more often -- a role where he could have shined).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NorgLyle posted:

My version of this complaint is Sacharissa Cripslock from The Truth. I wanted the media to become the new Watch (which would also have allowed Vimes to be written as an antagonist more often -- a role where he could have shined).
I'm pretty sure this didn't happen because William de Word is not an interesting character, and the book's interesting characters both die at the end.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen because William de Word is not an interesting character
No arguments there. I think de Word being dishwater dull is why I was so initially suspicious of Moist and basically needed to re-read Going Postal to give him a proper chance after finishing it the first time.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Does anyone else think Moist has kind of made himself into an avatar-for-hire accidentally with his dying words? You've obviously got the god of the post office in Going Postal but he's also got the hat with money on it making him in Uncle Pennyworth or whoever the mascot for monopoly is, then in Raising Steam he's both being manipulated into being an angel of vengance for the goblins but also a high priest of the goddess incarnate of trains.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This just in: Monstrous Regiment is loving great. And Jackrum is...great?

I'm only half way in or so, but yeah. Also the return of the boring guy from The Truth you guys just mentioned!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

VagueRant posted:

This just in: Monstrous Regiment is loving great. And Jackrum is...great?

I'm only half way in or so, but yeah. Also the return of the boring guy from The Truth you guys just mentioned!

Since this is almost my favorite novel by Terry Pratchett, I am immensely pleased by these updates. Jackrum, well...Jackrum's definitely not a boring man to read about :allears:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Monstrous Regiment is one of my favourites.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My best friend has read some Discworld and likes them to varying degrees (she has read all of the Watch series and loved them, read 3 of the Witches books and wasn't too fond of them for some reason). Tomorrow I'm giving her her birthday present which consists of The Truth and Monstrous Regiment. I hope she likes them both as much as I did :D

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Obviously I quite like the character Jackrum.

Still no bloody clue what happened to my Monstrous Regiment paperback, It seems to have vanished?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen because William de Word is not an interesting character, and the book's interesting characters both die at the end.

I was sort of alright with De Word until the end whe he uses his inherited privilege to blackmail Slant.

Much love for the New Firm though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I was sort of alright with De Word until the end whe he uses his inherited privilege to blackmail Slant.

Much love for the New Firm though.
I'm pretty sure he used the recording Mr. Pin made to blackmail Slant.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Still no bloody clue what happened to my Monstrous Regiment paperback, It seems to have vanished?

Did you look under the couch?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

That's why you keep them in chains.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure he used the recording Mr. Pin made to blackmail Slant.

He did, but the prose makes it crystal clear that the whole ending of the Truth is De Word casting off his everyman facade and stepping full force into the power and privilege offered by his family name for the sake of getting what he wants. This is portrayed as a positive act, cause he wants to do something good with that power, but I can easily see how someone would have a negative interpretation of those events.

Edit: And I agree that, while The Truth spawned a number of interesting characters, De Word is not among them and wouldn't have been a good subject for an extended series.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 26, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

withak posted:

Did you look under the couch?

I searched everywhere. It must have gotten lost in the move a few years back :smith:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Stick a ladle in a drawer and pray to Anoia. She helps find things lost things.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Screw you guys, The Truth is a great Discworld book and would have made a better Sky TV movie than any of the three they made.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

shadok posted:

Screw you guys, The Truth is a great Discworld book and would have made a better Sky TV movie than any of the three they made.

It was and excellent book! Pin and Tulip were some of Prachett's best heavies, with up there with Teatime and Carcer. Otto was an excellent addition to his menagerie of humanized monsters, and the dwarfs were good as they always are. The book covered civic and social bureaucracy, which was one of Prachett's strong suits (I maintain that the Vimes' rumination of the knife-edge operation of Ankh-Morpork in Night Watch is one of the best things he's ever written.)

William De Worde just wasn't a terribly... broad character. He like fancy words and hates his daddy, and that's about it. He was fine as the lead in a one-off, but he didn't really have enough arc to support multiple books. None of Moist's terminal thrill-hounding, Vimes' over-boiled cynicism or Tiffany's determination to fix every. single. thing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Otto was great, I'll give you that.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
It was -ing great and "I've got my potato."

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I searched everywhere. It must have gotten lost in the move a few years back :smith:

It might have gotten eaten. Do any of your other books look thicker than they were before?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The second half of The Light Fantastic is better than the first half and all of The Colour of Magic, combined. Nearly done with these now. I think Going Postal will be my next DW book :),

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Eh, Mort? Book four and Terry gets to grips with this thing they call plot.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

It might have gotten eaten. Do any of your other books look thicker than they were before?

We joke, but I found a few pages of my long vanished Soul Music on the ground the other day....

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I finally decided to start my Discworld reread after finding a cheap copy of The Colour of Magic in a second-hand store two weeks ago. It's been years, nearly a decade in some cases, since I read most of them. I'm already up to Mort and it's noticeable just how much of an improvement it is over the first three books.

Looking forward to the start of the Watch books though, they were always among my favourites before Tiffany Aching came along.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I have a spare hardback copy you can have at a cost of no pounds if you want it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sanford posted:

I have a spare hardback copy you can have at a cost of no pounds if you want it.

Thank you for the offer but I need softback version as my shelf is pretty much straining under the weight of the books I've already got. I'm sure it'll show up, going through a clean up of the house.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Speaking as someone who has, at this point, built furniture out of books (Don't worry, I'm talking structural, there are covering layers), I am shaking my head at you. It's not like I'm angry or anything, I'm just disappointed, SeanBeansShako.

Granted, I say this as someone who has three copies of TekWar by William Shatner (In different formats!) but, still...

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Thank you for the offer but I need softback version as my shelf is pretty much straining under the weight of the books I've already got. I'm sure it'll show up, going through a clean up of the house.

I could tear the covers off for you if that will help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraithson
Sep 8, 2011
Vimes'll go spare! He'll go librarian-poo!