Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

At least that part gives you check points on each section. They could have been really mean and made you do it all or nothing.

The way I beat it was to just sit with the car aimed down the tunnel, ready to go. Then it's just a (long) waiting game for the guy to notice you and you gun it. That was a lot easier than trying to drive around and find the nearest escape.

I spent about an hour trying to get the last section of that done. I just don't understand how that made it through design and made it into the game. I'm just guessing that it was extra challenging because i was playing on pc. I have absolutely no regrets about using cheat engine for infinite health and freezing any timers when the batmobile was involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The big tip people give on that and some other driving sections is to go first person. The only spot I use it for is this fight because the camera goes so hosed.

For tank battles on PC I switch battle mode to toggle, bind to middle mouse, and make right mouse the 60mm. I also bind the side buttons to missiles and the hacking thing.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 26, 2015

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CuwiKhons posted:

Yep, you're right. I have no idea why they went with Tim, who is significantly younger than Dick and Barbara.

Do we know how old the characters are? I know Dick refers to Tim as the new guy, but for all we know he's like a year older than Tim.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Dogen posted:

The big tip people give on that and some other driving sections is to go first person. The only spot I use it for is this fight because the camera goes so hosed.

This is so frustrating, because it's pretty clear that all the batmobile physics is tied into camera positioning, which can be super problematic. Both because of their context-sensitivity locking you onto stuff for a sec randomly, and thus messing up your turn or whatever, and also because in first person mode the traps in the riddler races don't hit you if your camera is past them, even if they would literally cut the batmobile in half.

On the upside, once I figured that out, the batmobile is still super awesome. I spent about a minute and a half over the course of the game mad at it, and the rest of the time I was just feeling super badass driving the bat-tank through the corners of buildings and stuff while I chased people down. I also really thought I'd hate the non-race riddler puzzles being so focused on it, but they actually made it pretty fun, and following those riddler question marks in scan mode will probably never get old to me, because I always picture it as the tank pulling a Christopher Lee (:smith:) style sherlock holmes and bending over with its magnifying glass to follow the trail. :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JetsGuy posted:

At least that part gives you check points on each section. They could have been really mean and made you do it all or nothing.

The way I beat it was to just sit with the car aimed down the tunnel, ready to go. Then it's just a (long) waiting game for the guy to notice you and you gun it. That was a lot easier than trying to drive around and find the nearest escape.

Yeah, I didn't have any issues with that fight, but I did it the same way - I found the tunnel I wanted him to chase me down, then waited for him to come tootling on by bitching about me, then shot him and drove away as he ranted that this time I wouldn't escape.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

SonicRulez posted:

Do we know how old the characters are? I know Dick refers to Tim as the new guy, but for all we know he's like a year older than Tim.

"The New Guy" who has been around for 6+ years. A+ Montreal.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

JetsGuy posted:

I figured that out right away, it was the Batmobile either getting spun 180 from the tiniest nudge of the fans, or trying to drive along the ceiling, and crashing into the pipes of the other areas with the slightest nudge of the stick that drove me nuts.

Don't get me wrong, it's a clever concept for a boss, but the car's handling is complete rear end. It's obvious that it's designed to be loose on the roads, so you can smash through the scenery, send poo poo flying everywhere, and get that movie-chase vibe. But for precise driving? Bleugh.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

limited posted:

I figured that out right away, it was the Batmobile either getting spun 180 from the tiniest nudge of the fans, or trying to drive along the ceiling, and crashing into the pipes of the other areas with the slightest nudge of the stick that drove me nuts.

Don't get me wrong, it's a clever concept for a boss, but the car's handling is complete rear end. It's obvious that it's designed to be loose on the roads, so you can smash through the scenery, send poo poo flying everywhere, and get that movie-chase vibe. But for precise driving? Bleugh.

Oh I agree it handles terribly and I was VERY frustrated at that fight. I did get better at handling the car though.

Just trying to give a pointer is all.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I wonder how much better received the game would have been if there was a better fight between Batman and the arkham Knight.

Same goes for Deathstroke, which goes from "poorly thought out" to "actively trolling the fanbase" in terms of awfulness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aquasnake posted:

"The New Guy" who has been around for 6+ years. A+ Montreal.

There's no such thing as a logical timeline for Bat-sidekicks when there are a minimum of three of them in less than a decade.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I didn't have any issues with that fight, but I did it the same way - I found the tunnel I wanted him to chase me down, then waited for him to come tootling on by bitching about me, then shot him and drove away as he ranted that this time I wouldn't escape.
"COME OUT AND FIGHT ME BATMAN" "WHERE ARE YOU BATMAN" x 400
I'M RIGHT loving HERE SITTING IN ONE PLACE FOR THE LAST 10 MINUTES NO WONDER YOU DIDN'T MAKE IT AS A ROBIN
: DRIVES RIGHT BEHIND ME, DOESN'T SEE ME :
: SHOOTS CANNON AT KNIGHT TO GET HIS ATTENTION :
"FOUND YOU BATMAN!"
NO poo poo I SHOT AT YOU DUMBSHIT

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This is why you didn't get your own Batmobile tank, Jason. :colbert:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arkham Knight fight is way more hilarious with him just chilling on a vantage point for minutes on end.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Just finished all the riddles and got the full Knightfall ending (and cheevo).

Now I'm gonna go play Origins because I hate myself :suicide:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Can anyone give me some tips on performing throw counters?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I wonder how much better received the game would have been if there was a better fight between Batman and the arkham Knight.

Same goes for Deathstroke, which goes from "poorly thought out" to "actively trolling the fanbase" in terms of awfulness.

There really isn't a good boss battle in this game at all, so it'd only be improved by even a single good one.

Technowolf posted:

Counter enemies just before the attacks land.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CJacobs posted:

W/r/t the martians, being set on fire is not just "being set on fire", it literally atomizes them for comic book reasons. It's like their Pokemon weakness. Yeah sure, nobody would want to get shocked with electricity, but if you were made of water you probably DEFINITELY wouldn't want to get shocked by it.

:D This is good advice for if I run into any beings made mostly of water.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Technowolf posted:

You just push the stick toward the attacker as you hit Y. You're supposed to wait till the last second to do it but the timing seems pretty generous.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
How much more terrible would have been if the Knight was revealed to be Stephanie Brown?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Crabtree posted:

How much more terrible would have been if the Knight was revealed to be Stephanie Brown?

That depends on the number of awkward scenes of the Arkham Knight flirting with Tim Drake in that version of the script.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

:doh: That's what I was forgetting!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That depends on the number of awkward scenes of the Arkham Knight flirting with Tim Drake in that version of the script.

Or switching between flirtatious and hostile to Batman. Maybe they could get a jab at the audience by having the Knight's mood to get sour and more violent as Batman is forced to rely on the Tank bits instead of the old fashioned punch and small gadget routine. "I thought you said excessive force only got people hurt, Old Man! How many people have you run over in that thing?!"

"I thought you were Batman, not Tank Man!"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Eh, thematically what are they gonna do in straight up combat? We've already had the deathstoke counter fight in Origins so it would be a rehash of that and what else would you have done with knight?

Physically he's shitter than batman so a straight up fight wouldn't have made sense. The fight we did have involved him using his sniper rifle, the environment and his goons to try and overwhelm Batman.

The problem is that Batman in the game is so ridiculously overpowered (because he's batman) that there aren't really many boss fight situations that don't either feel goofy and repetitive (Ras Al Ghul/Clayface/Firefly - origins), a showcase of moves (Mr Freeze), an interactive cutscene (Deathstroke) or just a flat out reskin/mod of a standard in game fight (Joker - AA/Riddler/Two Face - AC/AK/Pyg).

To be honest, i think the only way that the Knight fight could have been improved was if he had this entire army of thugs/turrets/equipment/whatever surrounding him (like 50+ guys or somerhing). Basically making him feel like he was invincible/better with all his "guns".

You, as Batman, then had several options. You could use all of your batgadgets and skill to slowly whittle away his entire backup/defences until it was just him and you in a simple Deathstroke style fight. Or you could dive right in and take on the whole lot in a massive danger filled brawl.

The thing is, as cool as believe that sounds, when thinking about it, that's every single predator section in the game but with a tacked on cutscene at the end.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Crabtree posted:

Or switching between flirtatious and hostile to Batman. Maybe they could get a jab at the audience by having the Knight's mood to get sour and more violent as Batman is forced to rely on the Tank bits instead of the old fashioned punch and small gadget routine. "I thought you said excessive force only got people hurt, Old Man! How many people have you run over in that thing?!"

"I thought you were Batman, not Tank Man!"

Are you making a MTV movie awards reference?

Tankman Begins: http://youtu.be/IGPKtfwPc14

That was ten years ago...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Die Laughing posted:

Are you making a MTV movie awards reference?

Tankman Begins: http://youtu.be/IGPKtfwPc14

That was ten years ago...

YOU DIDN'T EVEN LOOK FOR ME IN A TANK!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
No, but its pretty sad that MTV of all things predicted how Arkham Knight would go and why they needed to evacuate the city yet again. So you don't have to wonder how many people in Gotham get killed from the property damage alone.

Batman shouldn't be right next to Act of God in insurance terms like the Hulk.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 26, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ImpAtom posted:

Not true. He never panned for "what if I get over my parent's death?"

I remember one story where the Justice League got split via a wish to a cosmic tech thing-their super-sides were separated from their secret IDs.

Seems great. They can live their lives while their super-sides do the work.

Turns out Bruce without Batman is a very angry man with nowhere to put it, so he ends up unpleasant. The others all wig out in other ways-I specifically remember Plastic Man, because of course, he was a petty crook first, so splitting him off from his 'good side' was a bad idea. I'm annoyed because I can't remember the name or what the arc was and the description's too vague to look for.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Finally got that final race out of the way. Now I just need to take down the Riddler and I can watch the full ending. I've had a lot of fun with this game and I think I'm going to revisit City after this playthrough.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I loved the first two Arkham games and never finished Origins (I already played that game, it was called Arkham City), and I've been watching a playthrough of Knight. Does the whole game shoehorn in the batmobile like this? He just drove it up a building to power an antenna. In general the Batmobile just looks plain unfun, so I'm wondering if I should buy this game once the PC version is better, or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

So I loved the first two Arkham games and never finished Origins (I already played that game, it was called Arkham City), and I've been watching a playthrough of Knight. Does the whole game shoehorn in the batmobile like this? He just drove it up a building to power an antenna. In general the Batmobile just looks plain unfun, so I'm wondering if I should buy this game once the PC version is better, or not.

The Batmobile is heaviest early on but yes it dominates large chunks of the game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

There's about 2 segments in the game that don't rely heavily on the Batmobile and are closer to the traditional gameplay. They are some of the best segments in the game, but every else in the game there's very heavy emphasis on the Batmobile.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Eh, I guess I'll give this game a pass until it's cheaper, then. Might just go ahead and finish Origins.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

Eh, I guess I'll give this game a pass until it's cheaper, then. Might just go ahead and finish Origins.

It'll probably be semiplayable on the PC by then

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Crabtree posted:

That would've been loving awesome. All those scenes of Bruce angsting over Jason only for Stephanie's big gripe to be "You forgot me." It would be totally true and it would've been an actual surprise worth a poo poo.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

You definitely have the time!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ayn rand hand job posted:

It'll probably be semiplayable on the PC by then

Not that you could buy it on PC right now anyway

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SonicRulez posted:

That would've been loving awesome. All those scenes of Bruce angsting over Jason only for Stephanie's big gripe to be "You forgot me." It would be totally true and it would've been an actual surprise worth a poo poo.

It would have been a huge surprise since it's obvious it's Jason Todd even before Batman starts in with his angst-visions. Like right after the first diatribe about how he knows everything about you, and he's getting his "revenge" on you, I was like, "I guess it's a former Robin". Then they show you Tim and Nightwing pretty much immediately, and seeing as Jason was the only one I knew of that used guns, it was pretty much "Oh I guess it's him".

I only have a passing knowledge of who Stephanie Brown is and it would have been interesting to bring her into a game where most people playing don't know a lot about even non-Dick Grayson Robins.

Someone earlier in the thread though said to me that apparently even DC doesn't like recognizing her existence?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The first text you see in the game, on the incinerator, is "ROBINSON". It's not trying to be particularly subtle about it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

The first text you see in the game, on the incinerator, is "ROBINSON". It's not trying to be particularly subtle about it.

Its a reference to Jerry Robinson, one of the Golden Gae Batman artists. He was a Joker co-creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JetsGuy posted:

It would have been a huge surprise since it's obvious it's Jason Todd even before Batman starts in with his angst-visions. Like right after the first diatribe about how he knows everything about you, and he's getting his "revenge" on you, I was like, "I guess it's a former Robin". Then they show you Tim and Nightwing pretty much immediately, and seeing as Jason was the only one I knew of that used guns, it was pretty much "Oh I guess it's him".

I only have a passing knowledge of who Stephanie Brown is and it would have been interesting to bring her into a game where most people playing don't know a lot about even non-Dick Grayson Robins.

Someone earlier in the thread though said to me that apparently even DC doesn't like recognizing her existence?

That came into prominence when the New 52 was coming/hit. Barbara was restored as Batgirl and Stephanie was written completely out of the universe. Not to mention in any adaptation that has a Robin is going to be one of the boys. Dick or Tim being most likely. Any Batgirl is going to be Barbara. Steph (and Cass) has gotten the short end of the stick. It's just a really cool idea now that I'm thinking about it. Not a soul could have seen it coming, we would've gotten a female villain that wasn't dressed skimpy, there would finally be some attention for Stephanie Brown, and it would have justified the "We swear it's not Red Hood" bullshit.

• Locked thread