Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Just got home from a week in Vegas. Absinthe was great, JaySB's seating recommendation was spot on. Mac King's show is an incredible value, and the loving Sigma Derby machines may be one of the best random discoveries of my life. Huge house edge, but there's nothing like being one of 10 people yelling at plastic horses at 4am over a 25¢ wager. Plus, being able to play actual quarters in 2015 at the MGM Grand is surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Just got home from a week in Vegas. Absinthe was great, JaySB's seating recommendation was spot on. Mac King's show is an incredible value, and the loving Sigma Derby machines may be one of the best random discoveries of my life. Huge house edge, but there's nothing like being one of 10 people yelling at plastic horses at 4am over a 25¢ wager. Plus, being able to play actual quarters in 2015 at the MGM Grand is surreal.

Where the hell did they move the thing to? Last two times I looked for it I couldn't find the drat thing and no one else there knew what the hell I was talking about.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
It's in the middle of an island of slots roughly straight out from the restrooms near the buffet in between the walkway to the buffet and the outside one to the cashier's cage. There's a Davidoff booth pretty close to it, you should be able to hear the horses clamping from there.
Pretty well hidden, I didn't spot it until our fourth night.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

TheReverend posted:

If you're going to pay for a buffet, there are two that are arguably worth paying for. Caesar's and Cosmo. My wife and I have been twice at Caesars. It was better when they first opened. They probably found ways to cut costs as time when on and they felt like their $17M investment wasn't paying as high a dividend as they like but it was still pretty good.

We ended up doing Caesars. I went to Cosmo one night and the place was freaking me the gently caress out too much to even think about going back to eat anything else, but we went to the pizza place there and that was fun and good! Ceasars buffet was great, and even though it ended up being pricy for dinner I was happy. Got to eat a lot of great things,.

Jmcrofts posted:

Sup Evo buddy. This'll be like my 5th year going.

I learned so much about how to do evo that next time it'll be better. Finals loving kicked rear end though for SF4 especially.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Veskit posted:

I learned so much about how to do evo that next time it'll be better. Finals loving kicked rear end though for SF4 especially.

Hell yeah man. Every year the whole event gets smoother and more exciting, and this year's SF4 top 8 was one of the best ever.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012

Veskit posted:

Is that Vegas-related enough to put here? I've been to fighting game tournaments and Vegas before, but never made it to Evo. While I'm not as sharp competitively these days, I am seriously thinking about going next year, but don't know if I know enough about the event or the strip to navigate it.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I just got back from my trip.
Some thoughts:

-Sigma Derby was broken at MGM the entire time I was there except for a 4 hour period in I was lucky enough to play for about 45 minutes.

-When it broke , the technicians had a look of "gently caress this pos" machine. If must be a support nightmare.

-It was also broken at The D. (I don't think it'll be around in any capacity 5 years from now)

-Jesus Christ the selfie sticks are out of control now.

-Bazaar Meat is dope. Go before they close the Hotel.

-Bellagio buffet, though comped, was disappointing.

-Vdara can be a really great value with arguably little downsides.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

spankminister posted:

Is that Vegas-related enough to put here? I've been to fighting game tournaments and Vegas before, but never made it to Evo. While I'm not as sharp competitively these days, I am seriously thinking about going next year, but don't know if I know enough about the event or the strip to navigate it.

You absolutely don't have to be good or even enter the tournament to have fun at Evo. Spectating is half the fun and the top 8s on Sunday are amazing every year.

Here's my advice:
-Get all your plans in order early. Tickets sell out early so make sure you get one as soon as they're available. You'll save on a flight and hotel this way too.
-Stay at the same hotel as the tournament (it varies year to year). Walking between hotels doesn't sound like such a huge deal but when you have a 10 AM pool and you're hung over from the night before it's a hassle. You'll be able to find casuals easier this way too.
-Don't stay at the tournament the whole time. Taking some time to explore the strip, go gambling, or eat at a buffet or two will do wonders for your sanity and make the experience more enjoyable.
-Meet new people, play casuals, have a good time!

Seriously I would recommend Evo to anyone with even a passing interest in fighting games or eSports.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

JaySB posted:

So, racing...On track Exotics Racing at the Speedway, off road VORE. I wish my business was up and running or I'd get you in my RZRs but sadly not for another couple months.

My wife and I are heading out there in November and I was looking at the Groupon deals for the Valley of Fire ATV tours. Do you think you'd have your business up by then? Do you offer tickets for VORE?

Riller fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 24, 2015

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Riller posted:

My wife and I are heading out there in November and I was looking at the Groupon deals for the Valley of Fire ATV tours. Do you think you'd have your business up by then? Do you offer tickets for VORE?

I think we should be up by November. I'll definitely have the physical RZRs by then so we can work something out either way. Funny, I'm actually headed to VORE today to do one of their programs. I can get you whatever you need there.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Las Vegas Trip Report:

Returned from my close friend's "Vegas Wedding" a couple of weeks ago. I used JaySB's service to get a couple of rooms at the Flamingo for an old school friend (who is not a traveler at all) and myself for two days before meeting at the MGM Grand for the actual wedding. The Flamingo rooms were very nice. My friend is the last person who smokes, so we got him a smoking room that for some reason had a ridiculous view of the strip, while my non smoking room had a great view of the pool area. We pre-gamed the crap out of the bachelor party in that smoking room with a barrage of craft beer, single malt scotch, cigars of questionable legality, talking poo poo about the groom, and inadvertently catching the fountain show at the Bellagio with the lights off from twenty-six stories up. Massive fun was had by all. The bachelor party was better than the wedding.

A+ Would recommend again. Thanks, JaySB.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There was a fire at the Cosmo. Sucks. Vegas was awesome.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Recursive posted:

Las Vegas Trip Report:

Returned from my close friend's "Vegas Wedding" a couple of weeks ago. I used JaySB's service to get a couple of rooms at the Flamingo for an old school friend (who is not a traveler at all) and myself for two days before meeting at the MGM Grand for the actual wedding. The Flamingo rooms were very nice. My friend is the last person who smokes, so we got him a smoking room that for some reason had a ridiculous view of the strip, while my non smoking room had a great view of the pool area. We pre-gamed the crap out of the bachelor party in that smoking room with a barrage of craft beer, single malt scotch, cigars of questionable legality, talking poo poo about the groom, and inadvertently catching the fountain show at the Bellagio with the lights off from twenty-six stories up. Massive fun was had by all. The bachelor party was better than the wedding.

A+ Would recommend again. Thanks, JaySB.

Glad you enjoyed your stay and that the rooms were to your liking.

Gatts posted:

There was a fire at the Cosmo. Sucks. Vegas was awesome.

It was a tiny fire that was put out in 10 minutes. The pool is back open today.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Jay I've already booked my next table there but what's your opinion of Drai's, specifically on a Thursday? Sounds like from the last couple pages there are better places to go but I've had a blast every time I've gone.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

EngineerSean posted:

Jay I've already booked my next table there but what's your opinion of Drai's, specifically on a Thursday? Sounds like from the last couple pages there are better places to go but I've had a blast every time I've gone.

Nothing wrong with it. Drais or Hakkasan are the only real options.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

JaySB posted:

Nothing wrong with it. Drais or Hakkasan are the only real options.

Oh that's great to hear, I have a blast there when I go. I only read the last few pages and hadn't seen it mentioned. Thanks!

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

JaySB posted:

So, racing...On track Exotics Racing at the Speedway, off road VORE. I wish my business was up and running or I'd get you in my RZRs but sadly not for another couple months.

Bars: Carnival Court, The Linq, Fremont St./Downtown (Gold Spike is my new favorite spot, minus the bro I had to make take a nap), and there's a few good hotel bars.

Thank you for the heads up. The $20 trick worked perfectly and we went downtown to enjoy some great beers. We're about to head to Gold Spike so hopefully you won't have to lay any of us out. You're the best, Jay.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
Planning on heading out to Vegas this November for the first time. I might be going with a friend, but chances are I'll be going by myself. So far I'm looking at a Sunday-Wednesday trip, arriving Sunday afternoon leaving Wednesday morning. I'm looking to have a more relaxed, low key vacation. (hence why I'm going during the week) With what I want to do out there, I think I'll be spending most of my time on the strip. A few questions I have-

-I'm a buffet junkie, and I plan on checking out at least 4 on the strip. Are there any that are just can't-freaking-miss? My projected 4 are the Wynn, Caesar's Palace, Bellagio, and Planet Hollywood. (not all on the same day obviously) Staying at the Flamingo, so all of these should be relatively nearby.

-I despise loud, noisy clubs and would like a more laid back, upscale bar to hang out and enjoy the drinks one night. Nowhere to party like a rockstar and get smashed, just somewhere to have a seat, get a good cocktail or two, relax and maybe chat it up with some fellow patrons. Anywhere on the central strip that fits this bill? Even if it's off strip, that's fine too as long as it's not a long cab ride away.

-Planning on catching a cab and heading downtown to gamble one day. From what I've heard finding cheap gambling on the strip is a fool's errand. In what seems like a lifetime ago I was an advantage blackjack player, but I'm not going to count cards. Would like to enjoy cheap blackjack, craps and maybe some mindless fun at the slot machines. So far the El Cortez and Plaza seem like good bets. Anywhere else with cheap blackjack and gaming?

-Considering checking Spearmint Rhino during the day, but right now it's a big maybe. Worth going to during the plain daytime?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Vinny the Shark posted:

-I'm a buffet junkie, and I plan on checking out at least 4 on the strip. Are there any that are just can't-freaking-miss? My projected 4 are the Wynn, Caesar's Palace, Bellagio, and Planet Hollywood. (not all on the same day obviously) Staying at the Flamingo, so all of these should be relatively nearby.
I'd skip Planet Hollywood - i went - it was underwhelming. Try Wicked Spoon at Cosmopolitan.

Vinny the Shark posted:

-I despise loud, noisy clubs and would like a more laid back, upscale bar to hang out and enjoy the drinks one night. Nowhere to party like a rockstar and get smashed, just somewhere to have a seat, get a good cocktail or two, relax and maybe chat it up with some fellow patrons. Anywhere on the central strip that fits this bill? Even if it's off strip, that's fine too as long as it's not a long cab ride away.
Chandelier bar at Cosmo is good, but I've had more luck chatting with folks at bars at Aria, also, Centrifuge at MGM Grand.

Vinny the Shark posted:

-Considering checking Spearmint Rhino during the day, but right now it's a big maybe. Worth going to during the plain daytime?
I like dudes, so no clue. ;)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How's the shopping around the area of Cosmo? I'm flying in and staying on the company dime :toot: which means I get to bring two pieces of luggage, but I really only need one, so I might use the other one to bring back stuff I can get cheaper in the States than here in Europe (jeans, shoes, maybe some gadgets). Anywhere else in America I could just order from Amazon and get it pretty cheap, but I imagine Las Vegas being what it is, the prices are jacked up enough that I may not be saving anything at all over shopping here in Europe.

Actually... could I just order stuff online and have it shipped to the hotel during my weeklong stay? Do they allow that?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Drone posted:

How's the shopping around the area of Cosmo? I'm flying in and staying on the company dime :toot: which means I get to bring two pieces of luggage, but I really only need one, so I might use the other one to bring back stuff I can get cheaper in the States than here in Europe (jeans, shoes, maybe some gadgets). Anywhere else in America I could just order from Amazon and get it pretty cheap, but I imagine Las Vegas being what it is, the prices are jacked up enough that I may not be saving anything at all over shopping here in Europe.

Actually... could I just order stuff online and have it shipped to the hotel during my weeklong stay? Do they allow that?

Walk over to Caesar's palace, there's a lot of shops there. They also have a decent parking garage if you want to drive.

http://www.simon.com/mall/the-forum-shops-at-caesars

There's some at Venetian also

http://www.venetian.com/shopping.html

I never shop while there. I usually just go to the Nike superstore at Caesar's.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Vinny the Shark posted:

I think Bellagio buffet is completely overrated and not worth it. The lines make it even worse. I've been to Wynn buffet twice in 4 years. It was great back in 2011. I went this year and it was decent, but nothing spectacular. I also went to the Cosmo buffet, Wicked Spoon, and it was pretty good. I meant to go to the Bacchanal Buffet at Caesar's but didn't make it. I read some good reviews about that one.

I've said this before, but if you like to eat, you have to go to Lotus of Siam. I ate there 2x on a recent trip and loved it both times.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Drone posted:

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=58

There's this. I've never been but I've been told it's good. It's not next to the cosmo or anything but it's more for real shopping than anything I can imagine you finding on the strip.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Radiohead71 posted:

I think Bellagio buffet is completely overrated and not worth it. The lines make it even worse. I've been to Wynn buffet twice in 4 years. It was great back in 2011. I went this year and it was decent, but nothing spectacular. I also went to the Cosmo buffet, Wicked Spoon, and it was pretty good. I meant to go to the Bacchanal Buffet at Caesar's but didn't make it. I read some good reviews about that one.

I've said this before, but if you like to eat, you have to go to Lotus of Siam. I ate there 2x on a recent trip and loved it both times.

Yeah I was comped a Bellagio buffet with one of those VIP passes to let you in before everyone else and I was still disappointed.

Had I waited the hours and actually paid for it I would have started a riot.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Let's say I just want some above average casual dining where do I want to do besides Hash House?

I've already done Lotus of Siam to death. Not that that's a bad thing and I still want to go but just want to change it up for family.

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

Drone posted:

In addition to what was already answered, there is also Fashion Mall just north of where you are staying, and Crystals just south of you near Aria.. you are spoiled with shopping possibilities..

You can ship things to your hotel, sometimes they charge you a fee for it and hold it at the business center. This is the deets for the Cosmo: http://images.fedex.com/us/office/services/conventions/locations/parcel_info/Cosmopolitan_Las_Vegas_Inbound_Shipping_071511.pdf

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

Man with Hat posted:

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=58

There's this. I've never been but I've been told it's good. It's not next to the cosmo or anything but it's more for real shopping than anything I can imagine you finding on the strip.

Premium Outlets is pretty good, I bought a bunch of stuff from the Ralph Lauren store there. Also, honestly, Fashion Show feels to me like any other typical shopping mall in the US, and is on the strip.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

arriving sept 3 and departing sept 8. starting to research hotels, and it looks like i'm going to spend at least a grand on loding. is that about right? i'm game for cheaper options but not sure where to look. i think my friends are staying at the aria, so i'd like to stay near there. but i'm game for cabbing everywhere.

thanks for any help in advance.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Abel Wingnut posted:

arriving sept 3 and departing sept 8. starting to research hotels, and it looks like i'm going to spend at least a grand on loding. is that about right? i'm game for cheaper options but not sure where to look. i think my friends are staying at the aria, so i'd like to stay near there. but i'm game for cabbing everywhere.

Hotels cost as much as you're willing to spend. You can get a crackhouse for $20/night if you wanted. A grand for almost a week is about right with no rewards for the Aria. Look at MGM, NYNY, and the Tropicana for maybe a little cheaper and walking distance to the Aria. Comedy option Hooters is close too.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

If you Aria quality near the Aria for less than Aria prices look at Vdara. It'll take you all of a minute to walk to Aria. I can't recommend that place enough.

Cosmo is close but probably even more than Aria. If you're not going to be in you room much and the included pool doesn't matter much then maybe not worry about your hotel so much. I tend to get the nicer hotels if my wife is coming with me or I get a deal like Vdara.

You can get to Aria from Monte Carlo without going outside. The casino kinda sucks and there isn't anything super interesting restaurant wise (do they even have a nightclub?) but that could work too (the ice bar is fun though even if it's an outright tourist trap.)

Planet Hollywood is across the street and seems OK.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Seconding Vdara. I'm a big fan of Cosmo, but if you're looking to save money then that's not the place. The rooms were also getting surprisingly beat up and tired, at least the 2 I stayed at in July.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Wife and I are heading out on Saturday and have two quick questions:

1) Are there any places downtown that might have less than $5 minimums at the craps tables during the week?

2) Can anyone recommend a strip club for a boring married couple? For what it's worth we are late 30s and she has expressed a preference for topless with alcohol over fully nude and no alcohol.

Thanks!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

There should be a few for #1 but El Cortez should be 3 dollars so long you don't go too late.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Abel Wingnut posted:

If you're game for cabbing anywhere I got a room at the Golden Nugget for like 450 for a week and have heard good things about it. Maybe that's a bit too far away, though.

And JaySB, I sent you a PM.

Edit: and are the tables at the back at Absinthe better than the chairs on the floor? I like the idea of a table much better than a chair on the floor.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 10, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So the Cosmopolitan apparently has no airport shuttle. What's the best/most cost-effective way to get there from McCarran in the evening on a weekday? I assume taking a taxi isn't the best option.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Drone posted:

So the Cosmopolitan apparently has no airport shuttle. What's the best/most cost-effective way to get there from McCarran in the evening on a weekday? I assume taking a taxi isn't the best option.

Just take a Taxi. It's Las Vegas, the $10 you are going to save by taking some sort of combined hotel shuttle or city bus is not worth the hours you are going to lose. Just tell the cab driver to not take the highway.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Man with Hat posted:

If you're game for cabbing anywhere I got a room at the Golden Nugget for like 450 for a week and have heard good things about it. Maybe that's a bit too far away, though.

And JaySB, I sent you a PM.

Edit: and are the tables at the back at Absinthe better than the chairs on the floor? I like the idea of a table much better than a chair on the floor.

Staying home watching Family Guy reruns is better than the chars on the floor at Absinthe. I think I posted in here about it, before. I sat in one of the cut-out bathtubs on the outside walkway, and it was great.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Staying home watching Family Guy reruns is better than the chars on the floor at Absinthe. I think I posted in here about it, before. I sat in one of the cut-out bathtubs on the outside walkway, and it was great.

Are you incredibly obese? I'm a six foot 190 pound dude and had absolutely no concerns with the seating.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

cooter64 posted:

Wife and I are heading out on Saturday and have two quick questions:

1) Are there any places downtown that might have less than $5 minimums at the craps tables during the week?

2) Can anyone recommend a strip club for a boring married couple? For what it's worth we are late 30s and she has expressed a preference for topless with alcohol over fully nude and no alcohol.

Thanks!

The Fremont has at least one $3 table going 24/7. Only 2x odds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Sounds like 2x odds might be the next thing to sweep Vegas at all but the highest levels. The Wynn has already switched over for all games under $100 minimum. It kind of loving sucks and I hope it doesn't infest everything like 6:5 blackjack has started to.