Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
The mattress has been cleaned multiple times by just about every method I can think of--and this includes with Nature's Miracle and Anti-Icky-Poo. Still, the smell persists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Does anyone know if moving out of a place early but still continuing to pay the rent/lease is frowned upon, even if you have roommates still occupying the apartment? Subletting isn't really an option since it'd be only for a month and a half or so, and beyond that the new tenant would likely have to move or find two new roommates.

My girlfriend and I have found a place we'd like to move into, but to get the apartment we'd like, we'd have to sign a lease by August 10th (but move in anytime after that). Her lease expired this month and she's going to stay with family in the interim, I currently live with two other roommates.

We've already discussed me moving in, and just covering groceries and utilities while she took on the rent for two months while waiting for my other lease to wrap up. My roommates are cool with this so long as I keep paying the rent till the lease expires (they plan on moving out once it's done as well). I just wonder if my current landlord/management company will throw a shitfit over it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

If you can stand sleeping on the plastic sheet, I can't imagine much piss smell would make it through. They make them with zippers around the side now, and they cover the full mattress - it's really thorough.
o_O

What problem does the plastic sheet cause? My roommate had bedbugs awhile ago, so I got a mattress and box spring cover, which is most likely the same thing. I did not notice any difference whatsoever. I mean, there are sheets between you and the plastic; how would you even detect it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Handsome Ralph posted:

Does anyone know if moving out of a place early but still continuing to pay the rent/lease is frowned upon, even if you have roommates still occupying the apartment? Subletting isn't really an option since it'd be only for a month and a half or so, and beyond that the new tenant would likely have to move or find two new roommates.

My girlfriend and I have found a place we'd like to move into, but to get the apartment we'd like, we'd have to sign a lease by August 10th (but move in anytime after that). Her lease expired this month and she's going to stay with family in the interim, I currently live with two other roommates.

We've already discussed me moving in, and just covering groceries and utilities while she took on the rent for two months while waiting for my other lease to wrap up. My roommates are cool with this so long as I keep paying the rent till the lease expires (they plan on moving out once it's done as well). I just wonder if my current landlord/management company will throw a shitfit over it.
As long as you've given them adequate notice and your check clears, there is no reason they should care. But some landlords are crazy.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Does anyone know if moving out of a place early but still continuing to pay the rent/lease is frowned upon, even if you have roommates still occupying the apartment?
You continue to be liable for what goes on there as long as you're on the lease. They could have a party, do some damage, move someone else into your room, get a dog, etc.

Outside of that, no, you can move out and continue to pay the rent pretty much forever. I personally wouldn't even inform management unless it violated the lease somehow.

Thanatosian posted:

What problem does the plastic sheet cause? My roommate had bedbugs awhile ago, so I got a mattress and box spring cover, which is most likely the same thing. I did not notice any difference whatsoever. I mean, there are sheets between you and the plastic; how would you even detect it?
I learned to hate the noise it makes when I was a kid, and I take that with me today. It's like sleeping on a garbage bag. I know it's petty, I just hate it. If it doesn't bother you... game on!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

I learned to hate the noise it makes when I was a kid, and I take that with me today. It's like sleeping on a garbage bag. I know it's petty, I just hate it. If it doesn't bother you... game on!
Maybe mine is some kind of fancy-rear end cover or something, but I have never noticed a noise coming from it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Defense...s=mattress+cove

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I am considering moving into my first apartment on my own. I've lived at home, in dorms, and shared an apartment with friends. This will be my first foray into bachelor pad territory. A friend of mine has been living in this apartment for a few years but lost her job and has to move back home due to money issues. She has nothing but good things to say about the apartment and the landlord, and is legitimately heartbroken to have to give it up. It's a 2 bedroom apartment that is over a detached garage on the back of the owners property. The owner/landlord is a sweet little old lady. My friend said she has never even once knocked on her door for any reason, and keeps to herself completely. Her two sons handle maintenance and my friend said any issue she's ever had has been fixed within 24 hours at the latest.

The rent is $700 a month plus utilities, which is AMAZING for the area I live in. I couldn't find a studio apartment for under $900-$1000 a month within a half hour of my target area for months. This seems like the perfect opportunity. The apartment consists of a small sunroom at the top of the stairs, which enters into the living room. Typical kitchen with all necessary appliances, 2 small bedrooms which is more than enough for me by myself. My friend said she pays about $70 a month for electric. Water is covered. Oil to cover the heat for the winter runs about $800 for the season. Cable/Internet would be my responsibility. I figure to pay about $1,000 a month with utilities. This turns out to be just under 25% of my monthly income (before taxes).

Three issues:

1) No washer/dryer - My parents live literally 5 miles away from this apartment, so I can just do my laundry there once a week or whatever
2) No trash pickup (This is normal for the area) - Again my parents live down the road, and pay for private trash pickup - I can bring trash there as needed or just take it to the dump myself which is about 10 minutes away
3) The landlord doesn't want a lease. The girl who's lived there the last 3 years said she has paid monthly without a lease for 3 years and never had a problem. I'm a little worried about this one. Is this a huge deal? My father said it might be to my benefit, but I see it as more of a risk.

Any advice is welcome!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 31, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

RCarr posted:

3) The landlord doesn't want a lease. The girl who's lived there the last 3 years said she has paid monthly without a lease for 3 years and never had a problem. I'm a little worried about this one. Is this a huge deal? My father said it might be to my benefit, but I see it as more of a risk.

What? No.
Gets your conditions for living there in writing.
Some important parts include division of responsibilities and liabilities, like who's going to fix water damage after heavy rain, payment for utilities, terms for terminating the lease for both parts, and more.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
OP might mean she wants a month-to-month lease rather than a yearly lease?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Fall posted:

That's the dream, but I can't spend more than $100. An interim solution would be best. I thought about hanging a curtain of fake vines for a while, but up close the texture would be obvious and awful.

Unless you have any specific recommendations?

Go to Etsy.com and search for "art prints" and limit by price range (then narrow your search results). Lots of cheap art there. I just found this guy's shop and he's got a lot of famous painters' more uncommon works, all under $25.

(Hmmm, thinking of hanging this over my bed, yes/no?)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ladyweapon posted:

I'm going to meet with her this weekend so I will get the details. I'm getting all of this second hand from the current occupant.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ladyweapon posted:

If this is the case then it might be okay. Really depends on the situation. My current place that I have lived in for four years has been month to month ever since the original lease expired after the first year. We have a really great landlord who has never raised the rent, even despite living in an area of rapidly inflating property values. It's kind of nice to know that we can just leave at any time if we feel like it and not pay some huge fee. But like I said, we have a great landlord.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Month to month rather than yearly is what most leases default to after a year, anyway (at least in my experience).

I never had laundry in any apartment I lived in, but the trash pickup thing sounds awful. I wouldn't want to load my car up with all my kitchen trash every week - eventually it's gonna leak and then phew.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Where do you live that not having sanitation services is normal? That seems, really wrong.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's a small town on Long Island, NY. You either pay for private garbage pickup, or you bring your garbage to the dump yourself. I'm used to it after 20+ years, but I guess it is weird.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RCarr posted:

It's a small town on Long Island, NY. You either pay for private garbage pickup, or you bring your garbage to the dump yourself. I'm used to it after 20+ years, but I guess it is weird.

drat where do I get a bachelor pad in long island for $700? I'm in West Babylon and the best I could find was $1100.

Month to month leases are really common out here because most of the "apartments" are just a room or two out of someone's house that they're looking to supplement their income with, and it's convenient for the landlord. I have one and it's worked out well so far. Sometimes they're legal apartments, sometimes they're not. I'm guess yours is not considering the price.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah there's no way it's legal. The landlord is a little old lady who just wants help paying her bills. Everywhere else I looked out here was $1000+ for a studio/1BR so this is like a diamond in the rough.

This is in Eastport. Probably 45 minutes(?) east of you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RCarr posted:

Yeah there's no way it's legal. The landlord is a little old lady who just wants help paying her bills. Everywhere else I looked out here was $1000+ for a studio/1BR so this is like a diamond in the rough.

Mine is legal and it's the same situation, an old retired couple who wants more play money. It's easily possible it's legal. My fire exit is the landlord's garage :v:

gently caress long island, I hate it out here. I need a new job somewhere far away, I'm still bitter over $4.50 for a slice of pizza.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

RCarr posted:

I lived in a place very very similar to this in Michigan for two years, although it was a legal rental. The owner was a kind widow who lived in the front of the house and I lived in the back in an upstairs apartment. After living in Chicago with scumbag landlords and bedbugs, I would kill to have that place again.
HOWEVER, there are penalties for renting out an illegal space and very few of them affect the tenant. Most of them (zoning fines, relocation fees for tenants, etc) will affect the person collecting rent. The biggest problem other than the trash issue is that sometimes really really bad poo poo happens when you're renting. My idyllic Michigan apartment had the gas stove break and pump gas into my apartment for a week. That was fun. My last apartment had a furnace that broke on Christmas Eve and we froze for three days until they replaced the furnace to the tune of like $5,000.
The longer you stay in the place, the more likely something very expensive will happen. Without a rental agreement, you could end up having to foot the bill with no recourse other than to gently caress over your sweet old lady landlord by reporting her.
Rent is expensive and landlords are awful, greedy bastards, but part of renting for me is the peace of mind that if my apartment has something really expensive happen, I will not be paying for it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I don't understand how I could end up paying for something if there's no written agreement. As far as the law is concerned it's the owners home. I guess she could threaten to kick me out if I don't pay, but would she have any legal recourse if I just said "no im not paying because your water heater broke"?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

RCarr posted:

I don't understand how I could end up paying for something if there's no written agreement. As far as the law is concerned it's the owners home. I guess she could threaten to kick me out if I don't pay, but would she have any legal recourse if I just said "no im not paying because your water heater broke"?

Well, if the water heater breaks and she doesn't have money to fix it, you don't have hot water. It's less of an issue of making you pay for it and more of an issue of living in sub-standard conditions.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

You won't end up paying. An easy BS test in this thread is to find anyone who says "landlords are awful, greedy bastards" and ignore them.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 1, 2015

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just realized this would go better in here:

I am forever looking for more comfortable, breathable pillows. I sleep super-hot, my current pillow is one of these, which was good for about a month, and now the cooling gel doesn't really seem to do much; it's pretty much a normal pillow, and not terribly comfortable.

Amazon has a shredded latex pillow on sale right now, but before I shell out $45 for a pillow, I'd like to know if I'm being taken for a ride. I don't mind paying for a better night's sleep, just want to know it's worth it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Foam pillows tend towards warm. The best way I've found to keep a pillow cool is the chillow. If you like firm pillows, buckwheat is supposed to be super breathable too.

You can approximate a chillow by soaking a dish towel and putting it inside a ziploc bag, then putting it in the fridge or freezer.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just got a new job and would like to move much closer to the area (LA). I have great credit, but do not yet have an established income with the new job yet and my old job doesn't justify the types of places I'm looking at. Will I be held back much because of this or will I be okay once I have a couple of paystubs under my belt?

I'm just not sure if good credit is enough, if salary details in my job offer holds any weight, or if I should just put it off for a few weeks to get those paystubs first.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teeter posted:

I just got a new job and would like to move much closer to the area (LA). I have great credit, but do not yet have an established income with the new job yet and my old job doesn't justify the types of places I'm looking at. Will I be held back much because of this or will I be okay once I have a couple of paystubs under my belt?

I'm just not sure if good credit is enough, if salary details in my job offer holds any weight, or if I should just put it off for a few weeks to get those paystubs first.

Honestly, if it's just a mildly lovely commute, you should put it off for a few weeks so that you're not looking for housing during literally the worst time of the year.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Also, get the job offer letter from your new job if you MUST move now and compete with all the students. Showing your landlord the offer letter is pretty standard in SF and LA, especially if you are closer to college age or in tech.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

The problem is that I may be forced to move in September, I am not sure if I can extend another month or so at my current place. I am currently subletting with a not that terrible commute so extending my stay here may be my best option. If I can delay then I suppose it helps both criteria, as I will have 1-2 months of pay history at my new job and will delay the move to a better time. I started working today so I will be earning adequate pay throughout August but will not be able to prove that for a Sept move-in outside of my job offer and maybe my first paycheck.

When is the best time for it, anyway? I'm assuming Oct would be ideal since most/all schools will have started by then?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Nothing really wrong with hunting now. Sure, there are the most people looking for housing in the summer, but there is also the most housing available. If you are not a student and don't want to live in a student themed apartment, you won't be competing with students anyhow.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Random Washer/Dryer question..... I'm almost set to move into my new apartment, just a few more weeks to go. The new place doesn't have a W/D, so I'm going to purchase. I will very likely be purchasing an HE Top Loader, and not a Front Loader, (been there, done that, bad experience). However, it seems that it does practically no good to read reviews on any manufacturer or model. There are just as many bad as there are good, (even taking into consideration that pissed people are more prone to leave a review than someone not pissed imo).

I've set aside a budget of around 1,800 for a set, though have a reserve as well if I need it. I'm hoping I can snag some good deals for Labor Day however. I've always been a Whirlpool/Kenmore guy, but I saw LG has a 10 (ten) year warranty on their motors. WTF, everyone else has the industry norm of 1 year it seems. Is there some catch I'm missing? I know everything else is 1yr on them, but it seems like motors going out is the primary concern on washers, (as well as circuit-boards with all the new gizmos and poo poo W/Ds have now).

TLDR - Is the 200-300 price bump on an LG Top Loader W/D combo (versus Kenmore/Whirlpool/Whatever) worth it for the 10-year motor warranty? I've heard great things about LG W/Ds, but my last purchase was back in '06 (Whirlpool Duet Front-Loaders), and I know poo poo has changed since then.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The anecdotal evidence we'll give you isn't any different than the anecdotal evidence you'll get anywhere else.

I do my appliance purchases through Consumer Reports, which isn't always reliable, but at least it's data driven. If you sort by best rated, then throw out the first couple that are $3k, I (usually) buy the first one after those that is a somewhat reasonable price.

Unless you have money to burn, if you are an apartment dweller that may not always need a W/D, you can pick up a used W/D for ~$500 that, in a couple of years, you can sell for $500 when you don't need them anymore.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Washers and dryers are kind of like microwaves: the technology has been adequate for years now, so most of the higher end models just have more bells and whistles. My boyfriend bought a set for his first apartment for like $150 (for both) and they lasted him a good five years of so-so washing and drying. Yeah, the washer bangs around if you put too many towels in, and the dryer quit on us about six months ago, so we upgraded to a brand new dryer in the mid range of prices. It's got a light on the inside and sensor drying (you can just say 'dry my clothes until they are dry', imagine that) but otherwise it does one thing: dry clothes.

Personally, I sprung for a long term warranty and delivery / take away of the old dryer, which cost a little extra. I didn't spring for my dryer being able to text me when my clothes were done or a touchscreen or anything like that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Any recommendations on where to look for paintings/posters/pictures to frame and hang on my wall?

I was looking at Art.com but didn't know if there was a better option.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I stalked our local upscale-ish thrift shop (the proceeds benefit the LGBT health center in town, so lots of fancy gay men donate their expensive stuff to it) and we got a full-sized vintage subway poster in frame for $15 about 18 months ago. It's good, slightly grown-up art. If you like the posters that you're seeing on Art.com, I guess go for it, but don't feel like you have to have huge posters in a frame to have art on the walls.

Are you looking to have literally just anything on the walls to make it look lived-in, or do you have a preference for what you want?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Any recommendations on where to look for paintings/posters/pictures to frame and hang on my wall?

I was looking at Art.com but didn't know if there was a better option.

Yes --

Rabbit Hill posted:

Go to Etsy.com and search for "art prints" and limit by price range (then narrow your search results). Lots of cheap art there. I just found this guy's shop and he's got a lot of famous painters' more uncommon works, all under $25.

(Hmmm, thinking of hanging this over my bed, yes/no?)

Narrow your search terms for best results.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Finding art can be hard if you don't have anything in particular in mind. So, what are you into? What hobbies or interests would you want to hang up?

Vintage posters are great, my fiance is really into F1 racing so we looked for some of the older posters - you can get great reproductions of some really interesting ones. We're also fans of electronic music, so looking into some of the labels of our favorite bands, we got prints of album art or tour posters. The Ghostly store is the first example that comes to mind.

I would suggest picking one of your interests and searching ebay or etsy for prints or posters relating to that. Screenprints (hand printed posters on thick paper) are fairly inexpensive, gilcee (high end inkjet prints) even more so. If you live in a mid-sized city, there's probably a local screenprinter doing cool stuff. Do a search for 'hand printed posters' or 'letterpress' and a city near you to see what kind of stuff is available.

I'm also a fan of vintage travel posters - finding one from a vacation you took makes a nice souvenir, and it's nicer on your walls than just 'thing I found online'.

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 6, 2015

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
If you don't want to commit to a large poster or print, you can also experiment with smaller prints and photos or put up small shelves and display things that interest you. In a previous place, I had my vintage Pyrex collection on a cubby-style shelving unit. Right now I just installed two metal shelves from The Container Store that have some interesting bottles from a thrift store on them. You can change out what's on the shelves and find something that fits. I've also made a gallery wall with tapestries that I got from garage sales interspersed with some vintage prints that I've mounted on embroidery hoops. Regularly stalking the local thrift stores can yield some cool pieces for your walls.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks to photomikey & vonnegutt for the input ref the W/D. I ended up finding a decent price on the newest version of the Whirlpool Cabrio that came out last year over at BestBuy, ($600 off on sale, cheaper than any one else's sales price by a huge margin). Washer is on CRs Top/Recommended list, and I was able to set delivery far enough out to delay until move-in next month. (Which has the added benefit of being able to take advantage of a refund for any potential price drops during Labor Day sales, though not sure these will go much lower than this).

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Is it illegal to refuse to rent an apartment to someone because they're too young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Xandu posted:

Is it illegal to refuse to rent an apartment to someone because they're too young?

Yes, assuming the person is of legal age. But the burden of proof is on the renter, to prove they are being discriminated against beyond a reasonable doubt.