Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I'm pretty sure that in some places it's illegal to mark a tag like that if the item was never listed at the "original" price.

This is indeed the case, and retailers are well aware of it and schedule their sales in such a way that items are at their "regular" price for the minimum number of days required by law in order to be the "regular" price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

bucketmouse posted:

Every time I go to Chinatown in SF I'm always amused at how prevalent that type of sign is. I've seen STORE CLOSING CLEARANCE SALE on heavy-duty cloth/plastic banners, faded window decals, murals and even business cards.

You can get those things dirt cheap from china, and those long flags on a pole. If you want something custom it is 3-400 bucks. But i have made more grand opening and store closing signs than I would care to admit.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Walmart is switching some of it's 'Great value" branding to "Price first" and I cant help but think of "price first, quality second" especially because its at walmart...

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
To be fair, the Price First doesn't seem any lower in quality than their usual goods, but the price is often significantly lower. Where I live a loaf of wheat bread is nearly two bucks, but the Price First stuff is just under a dollar and it's just as good. When you live in a lovely poverty-stricken hellhole like my town, you have to take what you can get.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah I don't see or care a difference in quality from the few price first things, its just silly to me

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
In poorer areas, people will oftentimes buy what they perceive to be low-quality products on purpose, assuming it's the better bargain regardless of the actual difference in price.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also, supermarket budget lines like that are often the "higher quality" goods, just in different packaging.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cumslut1895 posted:

What a dumb name lol

Haha

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Also, supermarket budget lines like that are often the "higher quality" goods, just in different packaging.

I know that Walmart, Giant Eagle, and Frito Lay chips are the same thing. We have a potato chip factory near us and they make chips for all of those companies as well as their own brand chip.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

I know that Walmart, Giant Eagle, and Frito Lay chips are the same thing. We have a potato chip factory near us and they make chips for all of those companies as well as their own brand chip.

From what I hear, that's true for most generic products.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wanamingo posted:

From what I hear, that's true for most generic products.

It's actually true of most food products in general. A small handful of companies produce basically all of the food. While you might see dozens of brands they will often be owned by the same company. Beverages are almost all Pepsi and Coke (yes that includes juice) and Dean owns a huge chunk of dairy.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

No joke, the best cocoa powder I've ever tasted in my life is this cheap store brand stuff:

It even beats some expensive imported crap called "Blooker" that I paid $11 for :saddowns:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Woolies' Home Brand stuff doesn't muck around. Their tomato paste is also pretty good for pureed tomatos. Nice and thick, not too oily, salty or sweet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's pretty common. Our Costco Kirkland brand dog food is Purina I think. Go into an Aldi and you can try to guess the original product by the plastic package shape, since all they do is change the paper label.

Sometimes you can look on the back label of generic product and it'll tell you straight out it is not related or manufactured in [enter popular brand name] facilities. I guess that's forced by the brand name if their product looks similar, but not similar enough to infringe on their trademark.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I think that penny started dropping like a decade ago when there were a bunch of factory recalls on food type products where they'd admit it was the factory's fault your peanut butter got contaminated and then rattle off a bunch of different brands revealing yup, skippy and kroger brand are the same thing with different labels. Then likke a month later the same thing happened with dog food.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't they often times come from the same plant, but they have different additives or ingredients? Like the same factory makes Cheerios and the generic, but the Cheerios uses a different grain or some such?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Jastiger posted:

Don't they often times come from the same plant, but they have different additives or ingredients? Like the same factory makes Cheerios and the generic, but the Cheerios uses a different grain or some such?

I think I remember something about that with soda, like the store brand cola is not allowed to use the exact same formula as coke or pepsi, so they just change the proportion of ingredients slightly.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Go into an Aldi and you can try to guess the original product by the plastic package shape, since all they do is change the paper label.

Fun fact (which I only just learned a few days ago): Aldi's owns Trader Joes. So odds are you'll find some TJs products there at Aldi prices.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Some more classic examples of "Play our game, its better than *some horrible disgusting poo poo we came up with*"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jastiger posted:

In some cases, yes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rare Collectable posted:

Some more classic examples of "Play our game, its better than *some horrible disgusting poo poo we came up with*"

I remember this era of game marketing pretty clearly, because I was p.much centre of target demo at the time. It seems silly in hindsight, but "weird," "unexpected," and "goofy" were pretty appealing - Game Boy was essentially in competition with Weird Al cassettes for the disposable income controlled by nerdy teenage boys.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Fun fact (which I only just learned a few days ago): Aldi's owns Trader Joes. So odds are you'll find some TJs products there at Aldi prices.

Find me when they start selling stuff like TJ's Cookie Butter...

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I think I remember something about that with soda, like the store brand cola is not allowed to use the exact same formula as coke or pepsi, so they just change the proportion of ingredients slightly.

Somebody in this very thread talked about working for such a manufacturing plant and about just tweaking the knobs around a little bit on the machine each time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rare Collectable posted:

There's probably at least one person out there on the internet who looks back in retrospect and says "that's when I realized I was a furry"

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Yeah, my friends brother was a manager at a soda plant that did Coke/Pepsi/Doctor Pepper/Generic Brand stuff and he can confirm this. Coke has a few special things about it, namely they have a proprietary flavoring blend that they manufacture in house and are very very strict about controlling the supply of. Pepsi and everyone else just has an ingredient blend, but they also require that you not make any other sodas using their exact blends, so usually the generics have slightly more citric acid and slightly less/more sugar (depends on the brand the super generic COLA brand Cola has a lot of sugar in it IIRC). An interesting thing I learned from him is that soda sort of mellows in taste over the course of it's time in storage. When it first comes off the line the flavors in, say, Mountain Dew are almost overpoweringly strong prior to it sitting in a warehouse for a few weeks/months.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

canyoneer posted:

There's probably at least one person out there on the internet who looks back in retrospect and says "that's when I realized I was a furry"

Yo.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just have my manservant Enrique formulate my soda for me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ignimbrite posted:

Yeah, Woolies' Home Brand stuff doesn't muck around. Their tomato paste is also pretty good for pureed tomatos. Nice and thick, not too oily, salty or sweet.

They also do (did?) the best sour worms I've ever eaten.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah, my friends brother was a manager at a soda plant that did Coke/Pepsi/Doctor Pepper/Generic Brand stuff and he can confirm this. Coke has a few special things about it, namely they have a proprietary flavoring blend that they manufacture in house and are very very strict about controlling the supply of. Pepsi and everyone else just has an ingredient blend, but they also require that you not make any other sodas using their exact blends, so usually the generics have slightly more citric acid and slightly less/more sugar (depends on the brand the super generic COLA brand Cola has a lot of sugar in it IIRC). An interesting thing I learned from him is that soda sort of mellows in taste over the course of it's time in storage. When it first comes off the line the flavors in, say, Mountain Dew are almost overpoweringly strong prior to it sitting in a warehouse for a few weeks/months.

I bet fresh Mountain Dew is exactly what slurm tastes like

wimmy wam wam wozzle (pancreas shuts down audibly)

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I remember the pepsi license to chill card. I took my toddler brother to a booth in the mall to taste test between coke and pepsi. I crave him both tiny cups and pointed to the one with less bubbles. That was pepsi. We got some frivolous prize.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Not exactly. Trader Joes and Aldi are a family business in that they're owned by two brothers, but the businesses themselves are separate. They split at some point and don't share products.

Most all other private label brands are just name brands relabeled, but as far as I can tell nothing at Trader Joes is rebranded. They've probably got the best frozen food around.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VizF-6UdWUE

I suppose it's less Dumb Moves in Marketing but more of a new-type of marketing. General Motors is using the song 'Eminence Front' to sell the message that GMC Denali's are ~High Class~ even though the song they are using is specifically about how fake and vain upper-class and famous people can be. "It's a put on" indeed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pepsi and everyone else just has an ingredient blend, but they also require that you not make any other sodas using their exact blends, so usually the generics have slightly more citric acid and slightly less/more sugar

Less sugar, surely. Sugar costs money.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Afaik everything under the TJ's brand is rebranded or slightly modified from the brand name version, just like other store brands.

They generally pick better quality stuff to put their name on, their frozen gyoza are so good.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Most all other private label brands are just name brands relabeled, but as far as I can tell nothing at Trader Joes is rebranded. They've probably got the best frozen food around.

Huh? As far as I've ever been able to tell, alI TJs frozen stuff is rebranded. I've definitely recognised their frozen veggie lasagna as Amys but that's the only example I can think of right now. It's been a while since I shopped there.

I mean I'm sure I'm wrong but I was always under the impression that their stuff is selectively rebranded and they don't actually produce most of their own food.

E: ^^^ what he said.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

So does citric acid, and corn syrup is heavily subsidized in the US. I can believe that it's more expensive to add more citric acid to a soda than more HFCS.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

wayne curr posted:

No joke, the best cocoa powder I've ever tasted in my life is this cheap store brand stuff:

It even beats some expensive imported crap called "Blooker" that I paid $11 for :saddowns:
Like holy poo poo both Woolworths and Coles make a killing from running Cheap/Normal/*Fancy* product lines where 80% of the time it's the same product just with a higher price tag and nicer packaging.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There are some exceptions to that - house brand tinned baked beans and spaghetti are absolutely terrible where I am (it's not like then brand name stuff is gourmet food or anything but it is a lot better)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Lone Badger posted:

I think his implication was that they put in more HFCS/Sugar instead of actual flavorings. Also most soda costs the exact same to make, the companies pushing really bargain bin brands (see: Shasta/Faygo) just have a different idea of what profit margins are acceptable. So companies like Shasta and RC Cola often figure that if they get less money per unit they can still be profitable by just selling lots of units due to how cheap they are and there is definitely some truth to that. The only brand I know for a fact cuts lots of corners is whatever the store soda brand for Rite Aid is (Simple I think?). Apparently they didn't even bottle it locally because there's just one super low rent factory somewhere that pumps it out for days. That stuff tastes like straight poison, and for a while they were using some flavoring that made their knockoff mountain dew taste like pinesol smells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Part of Coca-Cola's different flavor actually comes from coca plants. You know, the plants that cocaine comes from. There's very little of it in it now, especially when compared to the past, but it's still there in small amounts. Coke is one of very few things you can actually import Coca for (it is otherwise highly illegal) for just this reason and it's watched pretty closely. It's a weird thing to think about but cocaine is really a ludicrously refined version of it. Coca tea is a traditional drink in areas where coca grows and has a pretty low amount of the stuff that makes cocaine work.

Which is interesting for a lot of reasons. Older formulas of coke (like 100 years ago) had a lot more coca leaf in them. Like the actual leaves. Now it's just used to get the flavor out of and the stuff that makes cocaine be, you know, cocaine is taken out.