Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

damnfan posted:

It's bought in full by my parents, thanks.

Illinois average rate is around $115 so I'm close to that.

Seems about right. Your state isn't exactly the cheapest with the insurance rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Does anyone have any experience or things to say about third party car rental insurance companies like Protect Your Bubble or Insure My Car Rental?

My regular auto policy won't be great for an upcoming trip I'm about to take where I need to rent a car for at least a week and the car rental companies want nearly the full cost of the rental with their insurance polices.

I hear stuff about credit card protection too, but that all seems like they go into effect as a secondary insurance, not a primary - unless you have an AMEX which I do not.

Any tips or help?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Harlock posted:

Does anyone have any experience or things to say about third party car rental insurance companies like Protect Your Bubble or Insure My Car Rental?

My regular auto policy won't be great for an upcoming trip I'm about to take where I need to rent a car for at least a week and the car rental companies want nearly the full cost of the rental with their insurance polices.

I hear stuff about credit card protection too, but that all seems like they go into effect as a secondary insurance, not a primary - unless you have an AMEX which I do not.

Any tips or help?

Are you staying in the US or traveling abroad?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

OssiansFolly posted:

Are you staying in the US or traveling abroad?
Staying in the US, my bad for not including it before.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Harlock posted:

Staying in the US, my bad for not including it before.

I don't know...I've read these sites before and they seem legit, but the pricing seems oddly specific...(Bubble more than Insure Your Rental)

My only main concern that I can't answer because none of the sites provide an answer is...do these policies cover 'Loss of Use' to pay for the rental car company's loss of profits due to a damaged vehicle being unusable while being repaired. If you go the route of one of these please let us know what they say about that 'Loss of Use' coverage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

OssiansFolly posted:

I don't know...I've read these sites before and they seem legit, but the pricing seems oddly specific...(Bubble more than Insure Your Rental)

My only main concern that I can't answer because none of the sites provide an answer is...do these policies cover 'Loss of Use' to pay for the rental car company's loss of profits due to a damaged vehicle being unusable while being repaired. If you go the route of one of these please let us know what they say about that 'Loss of Use' coverage.

Generally the rental companies will try to hit you up for diminished value, loss of use and an administrative fee if there is a loss. If you call them they'll usually waive it though.

misunderestimated
Sep 17, 2009
So, I have questions about health insurance and forgery and who knows what else. Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong thread.

I had to go to the Urgent Care the other day, and then yesterday, I sat down to double-check some things on our policies. I’m not as educated about health insurance as I should be, and I ran into a bunch of suspicious things that I don’t know if I should worry about or not. We have a policy from Assurant Health and then a secondary policy from TransAmerica, both through my husband’s employer. So, here are my questions:

1. I was flipping through the TransAmerica statement of benefits and I came to the last page, a form titled “HospitalSelect II Enrollment Form.” Looking at it, I noticed that the signature on it was not my own, but I thought maybe my husband signed it for me – until I looked at his signature, which was quite obviously forged as well. To be clear, my husband’s employer started providing this policy at the beginning of the year after our old supplemental provider went bust. All along, we were told that if we wanted to continue using the Assurant policy, we needed to pay for the TransAmerica policy, too. I’ve been against it from the start because it really doesn’t cover anything.

The question here is: Could my husband or I be in some kind of trouble for someone else forging our signatures on this page? As yet, I’m not sure who to pursue about this – the person who signed our names is either the company's insurance agent or someone in the HR department. I'm guessing that whoever did this either figured the employees wouldn't sign or they were just too lazy to distribute the forms to 200 employees – either way, it feels wrong to me, and I can't believe I've only just now noticed it.

2. Is TransAmerica a pyramid scheme/lovely company? I did some googling and ran across lots different user reviews and such that said yes, they were MLM, but didn’t find anything concrete. Most of what I found dealt with life insurance and companies that are somehow related to TransAmerica.

3. Dug a little deeper on health care regulations and ran across this page that basically says discount plans are not actually considered health insurance:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0165-discount-plan-or-health-insurance

Now, from what I’ve read about it, our plan through Assurant sounds exactly like a discount plan. Whenever we go to the doctor or have a prescription filled, the Assurant plan doesn’t actually pay anything to anyone. Instead, we get a statement in the mail that says something to the effect of: Billed Amount: $300, Allowed Amount: $200, Discount Amount: $100, You Owe: $200.

So, does this mean that we technically don’t have health insurance and should be paying the ACA penalties? Or am I hopefully misunderstanding this?

TL/DR: Not sure if I’m being melodramatic or if my husband’s employer and their insurance agent is getting us into some kind of serious insurance problem.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

misunderestimated posted:

So, I have questions about health insurance and forgery and who knows what else. Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong thread.

I had to go to the Urgent Care the other day, and then yesterday, I sat down to double-check some things on our policies. I’m not as educated about health insurance as I should be, and I ran into a bunch of suspicious things that I don’t know if I should worry about or not. We have a policy from Assurant Health and then a secondary policy from TransAmerica, both through my husband’s employer. So, here are my questions:

1. I was flipping through the TransAmerica statement of benefits and I came to the last page, a form titled “HospitalSelect II Enrollment Form.” Looking at it, I noticed that the signature on it was not my own, but I thought maybe my husband signed it for me – until I looked at his signature, which was quite obviously forged as well. To be clear, my husband’s employer started providing this policy at the beginning of the year after our old supplemental provider went bust. All along, we were told that if we wanted to continue using the Assurant policy, we needed to pay for the TransAmerica policy, too. I’ve been against it from the start because it really doesn’t cover anything.

The question here is: Could my husband or I be in some kind of trouble for someone else forging our signatures on this page? As yet, I’m not sure who to pursue about this – the person who signed our names is either the company's insurance agent or someone in the HR department. I'm guessing that whoever did this either figured the employees wouldn't sign or they were just too lazy to distribute the forms to 200 employees – either way, it feels wrong to me, and I can't believe I've only just now noticed it.

2. Is TransAmerica a pyramid scheme/lovely company? I did some googling and ran across lots different user reviews and such that said yes, they were MLM, but didn’t find anything concrete. Most of what I found dealt with life insurance and companies that are somehow related to TransAmerica.

3. Dug a little deeper on health care regulations and ran across this page that basically says discount plans are not actually considered health insurance:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0165-discount-plan-or-health-insurance

Now, from what I’ve read about it, our plan through Assurant sounds exactly like a discount plan. Whenever we go to the doctor or have a prescription filled, the Assurant plan doesn’t actually pay anything to anyone. Instead, we get a statement in the mail that says something to the effect of: Billed Amount: $300, Allowed Amount: $200, Discount Amount: $100, You Owe: $200.

So, does this mean that we technically don’t have health insurance and should be paying the ACA penalties? Or am I hopefully misunderstanding this?

TL/DR: Not sure if I’m being melodramatic or if my husband’s employer and their insurance agent is getting us into some kind of serious insurance problem.

I wouldn't put it past HR companies or agents to "robosign" a bunch of documents in order to get everything set up for the employees.
TransAmerica is a really big company. I think they are distributed in a really lovely way, but they do actually offer a decent product, particularly life insurance. I"m a bit confused as to how you have a health policy. It sounds like you have something similar to AFLAC which isn't really health insurance, but more a disability policy or supplemental benefits policy-NOT health insurance. I'd definitely call their customer service number and have them explain the documents to you in detail because thats the vibe I"m getting here.

Health insurance should provide coverage for things like urgent care. You should be paying your co pay and paying down that deductible. If your company is outright not doing ANYTHING that is kind of a red flag for me. Definitely give them a call and discuss with the companies directly and with your husbands HR department what is actually offered and what you're paying for.

As for the ACA penalties and stuff, I don't want to say 100% yes or no since I'm not super clear on the law. May be worth hitting healthcare.gov to see what answers they have for you.

misunderestimated
Sep 17, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I wouldn't put it past HR companies or agents to "robosign" a bunch of documents in order to get everything set up for the employees.
TransAmerica is a really big company. I think they are distributed in a really lovely way, but they do actually offer a decent product, particularly life insurance. I"m a bit confused as to how you have a health policy. It sounds like you have something similar to AFLAC which isn't really health insurance, but more a disability policy or supplemental benefits policy-NOT health insurance. I'd definitely call their customer service number and have them explain the documents to you in detail because thats the vibe I"m getting here.

Health insurance should provide coverage for things like urgent care. You should be paying your co pay and paying down that deductible. If your company is outright not doing ANYTHING that is kind of a red flag for me. Definitely give them a call and discuss with the companies directly and with your husbands HR department what is actually offered and what you're paying for.

As for the ACA penalties and stuff, I don't want to say 100% yes or no since I'm not super clear on the law. May be worth hitting healthcare.gov to see what answers they have for you.

You're right about the TransAmerica policy - it sounds exactly like an AFLAC-style supplemental policy. I've not tried to use it yet, but from all I've heard, no one at my husband's company has actually gotten the TransAmerica policy to pay for anything - surgeries, ER visits, doctor visits. Somewhat unsurprising since they have this MASSIVE list of exclusions and limitations, but I'll give them a call tomorrow and get clarification. Though, the urgent care isn't that expensive, so I'm not too worried about that.

On the subject of Assurant, they're an odd one. We don't make co-pays - we just get discounted bills. That's what made me think that maybe our Assurant plan was one of those discount plans. I checked out healthcare.gov, and they said much the same thing as the FTC - plans that only offer discounts towards medical services don't count as health insurance.

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exemptions/plans-that-count-as-coverage/

But, I forgot to mention that our Assurant plan has a $7500 per person deductible, which we've never met, but supposedly, they'll start paying after that point. So I guess since they do pay after we hit the deductible, that means that they're not a discount plan? Like you said, I'll give Assurant a call tomorrow too and verify all this. My biggest concern at this point is whether or not Assurant is a discount plan or actual health insurance.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I'd call the Healthcare.gov number too just to be safe and see what is out here so you can compare it to what his employer can offer. Its really strange to me that an employer would offer a not-insurance plan and not be perfectly clear on it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

misunderestimated posted:

You're right about the TransAmerica policy - it sounds exactly like an AFLAC-style supplemental policy. I've not tried to use it yet, but from all I've heard, no one at my husband's company has actually gotten the TransAmerica policy to pay for anything - surgeries, ER visits, doctor visits. Somewhat unsurprising since they have this MASSIVE list of exclusions and limitations, but I'll give them a call tomorrow and get clarification. Though, the urgent care isn't that expensive, so I'm not too worried about that.

On the subject of Assurant, they're an odd one. We don't make co-pays - we just get discounted bills. That's what made me think that maybe our Assurant plan was one of those discount plans. I checked out healthcare.gov, and they said much the same thing as the FTC - plans that only offer discounts towards medical services don't count as health insurance.

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exemptions/plans-that-count-as-coverage/

But, I forgot to mention that our Assurant plan has a $7500 per person deductible, which we've never met, but supposedly, they'll start paying after that point. So I guess since they do pay after we hit the deductible, that means that they're not a discount plan? Like you said, I'll give Assurant a call tomorrow too and verify all this. My biggest concern at this point is whether or not Assurant is a discount plan or actual health insurance.

Yea if you want a supplement policy Aflac is still the best. I have Aflac and they pay for everything with little to no exception. Hell they even make it a goal to pay for things within 24 hours.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
So my husband and I just moved to Florida, and, since we'd never had trouble with State Farm in our old state, and had been with them for roughly 7 years now, we decided to stick with them here, and only just pushed through the agent transfer about a week ago. And our new agent sucks thorough and absolute balls.

See, I'm used to handling changes to our insurance online and over the phone; our old agent had his office in a part of the city that we basically never drove to, I'd never even seen the man or anything (I got added on to my husband's policy when we got married), but making changes, handling our one small claim (me and some other guy rear-ending each other in a parking lot), all of that was really easy to do without having to go down in person. So I assumed that the same thing would hold out here in Florida, at least long enough for us to get settled in and make other decisions if needed, and I just picked a nearby agent more or less at random, called them up and started the transfer.

First time I called them, the guy I spoke to took down my info, said he'd call our old agent to start the transfer, and then inexplicably never did. I ignored the issue for a couple weeks, mostly because we were still covered, and we didn't need the switch to go through right away. Then, when I was told we had to have Florida auto insurance to register our car here, I called the new agent back, and spent like 3-4 days following up with them and trying to get everything squared away. They randomly created a new online account for us, our policy still hasn't shown up on it to this day, but we've received ID cards and all that jazz so I'm not too worried.

Or at least I wasn't until now, when I read an email reply from someone at our new agent re our monthly payment plan. Apparently it didn't transfer over to them, and she didn't think to tell me this until I loving asked her why we hadn't yet been charged via autopay for this month. And we're past due (by maybe 4-5 days, going by our usual due date), and these assholes don't open till Monday next week, and I'm finding myself legit worried at leaving our auto and renters in the hands of these people. I was already thinking of switching away before the move, and after their weird behavior I'm definitely not going to stay with them.

My husband wants to go with a strictly online plan from now on, and I mostly agree because I don't want to have to worry about finding a new agent here. The entire point of staying with State Farm was to have less post-move stress, not more. We're in our late 20s, no kids, basically just have auto and rental insurance, and were seriously thinking of getting life insurance once we'd settled in (he's not insured through work, and I'm unemployed). Would going online-only be a good idea?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

babydonthurtme posted:

So my husband and I just moved to Florida, and, since we'd never had trouble with State Farm in our old state, and had been with them for roughly 7 years now, we decided to stick with them here, and only just pushed through the agent transfer about a week ago. And our new agent sucks thorough and absolute balls.

See, I'm used to handling changes to our insurance online and over the phone; our old agent had his office in a part of the city that we basically never drove to, I'd never even seen the man or anything (I got added on to my husband's policy when we got married), but making changes, handling our one small claim (me and some other guy rear-ending each other in a parking lot), all of that was really easy to do without having to go down in person. So I assumed that the same thing would hold out here in Florida, at least long enough for us to get settled in and make other decisions if needed, and I just picked a nearby agent more or less at random, called them up and started the transfer.

First time I called them, the guy I spoke to took down my info, said he'd call our old agent to start the transfer, and then inexplicably never did. I ignored the issue for a couple weeks, mostly because we were still covered, and we didn't need the switch to go through right away. Then, when I was told we had to have Florida auto insurance to register our car here, I called the new agent back, and spent like 3-4 days following up with them and trying to get everything squared away. They randomly created a new online account for us, our policy still hasn't shown up on it to this day, but we've received ID cards and all that jazz so I'm not too worried.

Or at least I wasn't until now, when I read an email reply from someone at our new agent re our monthly payment plan. Apparently it didn't transfer over to them, and she didn't think to tell me this until I loving asked her why we hadn't yet been charged via autopay for this month. And we're past due (by maybe 4-5 days, going by our usual due date), and these assholes don't open till Monday next week, and I'm finding myself legit worried at leaving our auto and renters in the hands of these people. I was already thinking of switching away before the move, and after their weird behavior I'm definitely not going to stay with them.

My husband wants to go with a strictly online plan from now on, and I mostly agree because I don't want to have to worry about finding a new agent here. The entire point of staying with State Farm was to have less post-move stress, not more. We're in our late 20s, no kids, basically just have auto and rental insurance, and were seriously thinking of getting life insurance once we'd settled in (he's not insured through work, and I'm unemployed). Would going online-only be a good idea?

Since you're unsatisfied with your agent anyway, why would you not be open to switching carriers? Another company may be significantly cheaper in your new area.

I'm not a personal lines underwriter but I strongly caution against going on your own as far as coverage selection, especially in an area you're unfamiliar with. A local agent is going to know what you need legally and what you need practically better than you will be able to figure out on your own online.

I'm sorry your new agent sucked so much.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

babydonthurtme posted:

What Pandora said. If you don't like the guy/gal, there is NO obligation for you to stay with them. With State Farm, you can find an agent all the way on the other side of town if you want, being face to face doesn't sound like a big deal for you guys.

With Florida though, you're in a unique situation where you have a lot more restrictions on what you can and can't do, so an independent might be a good way to go right now. I'd definitely look around for an agency that has a good track record.

Most of the major carriers are going to allow you to go online only, and it'd be nice to have that local agent for more help. Again, you are under NO obligation to keep it with the same agent or even company at this point.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

babydonthurtme posted:

Just call a local independent agency. You should be able to easily Google one. Most independent agents write for many companies and can look for you what the best company and premium is. Almost all companies these days have websites for you to make payments and handle your policies, so don't make that your only measure for what company you choose. I know FL is a PIP state, and even for someone like me that is licensed in the state (but I operate in OH) it is a pain to understand and deal with because I'm not using it daily. Call some local places and get quotes from many...pick the one that you like with the best coverage and premium. Use your talking to the agents as a way to gauge how they are as an agency.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm really getting the sense that I should shop around with independent agencies right now. I'm definitely open to the idea, we were even planning to do some shopping around once we'd settled in, just to see if we could maybe get a better deal elsewhere.

I didn't know FL was a no-fault state, ugh. Is that yet another tourism thing, like every other weird thing here is? Unsurprisingly our terrible new agent didn't see fit to mention that detail, so I don't even know if we have PIP right now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

babydonthurtme posted:

Yeah, I'm really getting the sense that I should shop around with independent agencies right now. I'm definitely open to the idea, we were even planning to do some shopping around once we'd settled in, just to see if we could maybe get a better deal elsewhere.

I didn't know FL was a no-fault state, ugh. Is that yet another tourism thing, like every other weird thing here is? Unsurprisingly our terrible new agent didn't see fit to mention that detail, so I don't even know if we have PIP right now.

If you don't have a FL policy you probably don't have PiP. If you DO have a FL policy you likely do. But yeah, thats a big deal moving from another state, they should have at least called and talk to you about that.

FL has tough insurance becasue of the high loss rates. A lot of companies won't do business there because of it, so you just have a lot less choice when it comes to companies. I would definitely shop around as State farm isn't going to always be the best deal in states like that.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

If you don't have a FL policy you probably don't have PiP. If you DO have a FL policy you likely do. But yeah, thats a big deal moving from another state, they should have at least called and talk to you about that.

FL has tough insurance becasue of the high loss rates. A lot of companies won't do business there because of it, so you just have a lot less choice when it comes to companies. I would definitely shop around as State farm isn't going to always be the best deal in states like that.

To add on to this, State Farm Florida is its own "company" now. Back from 2006-2012 they got hit HARD in FL and kept losing millions. As a result State Farm wanted to pull out of the state and stop offering coverage (just like a lot of companies), but the Federal Government stepped in and offered to cut them breaks and help out. State Farm split a small company off that is State Farm Florida so the losses down in that state don't destroy the profitability of the rest of the National Company. So TL;DR...State Farm doesn't want to be there.

The reason FL is a PIP state is because they also had ridiculously rampant insurance fraud in the state. PIP was set up to help combat that in the last decade or two. It is important that you FULLY understand your coverages and how they work, so make sure you pick an agent that will have a sit down with you and go over your coverages. Since you asked, I'd ask the agency if they have a Life Insurance Specialist in the agency to help you out with that. A good independent agency should always have ONE guy that does almost exclusively life insurance if you ask me...independent agents don't usually chase the life insurance as much as State Farm, and having that ONE resource is really nice for the customer.

Article on State Farm Florida's move to get out of Property in FL

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OssiansFolly posted:

To add on to this, State Farm Florida is its own "company" now. Back from 2006-2012 they got hit HARD in FL and kept losing millions. As a result State Farm wanted to pull out of the state and stop offering coverage (just like a lot of companies), but the Federal Government stepped in and offered to cut them breaks and help out. State Farm split a small company off that is State Farm Florida so the losses down in that state don't destroy the profitability of the rest of the National Company. So TL;DR...State Farm doesn't want to be there.

The reason FL is a PIP state is because they also had ridiculously rampant insurance fraud in the state. PIP was set up to help combat that in the last decade or two. It is important that you FULLY understand your coverages and how they work, so make sure you pick an agent that will have a sit down with you and go over your coverages. Since you asked, I'd ask the agency if they have a Life Insurance Specialist in the agency to help you out with that. A good independent agency should always have ONE guy that does almost exclusively life insurance if you ask me...independent agents don't usually chase the life insurance as much as State Farm, and having that ONE resource is really nice for the customer.

Article on State Farm Florida's move to get out of Property in FL

Good info here. Sounds a lot like Oklahoma too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is this the place to ask about business insurance? I'm starting an educational services company and we're terrified by the costs of insurance.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Is this the place to ask about business insurance? I'm starting an educational services company and we're terrified by the costs of insurance.

Other goons may be some help, but that is something I really don't know a lot about. Best bet is to probably find a local independent agent you trust and hash it out with them in person with as much detail as possible.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

tuyop posted:

Jastiger posted:

Other goons may be some help, but that is something I really don't know a lot about. Best bet is to probably find a local independent agent you trust and hash it out with them in person with as much detail as possible.

Yep, do this. If you are in OH I'd be happy to help, but outside of my state I can't help. Just Google an Independent Insurance Agent to help walk you through it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm commercial licensed and familiar with every state other than HI, AK, MA, LA and FL. That said commercial policies are structured in a much more modular fashion than personal lines policies and you don't want anything more than the broadest of strokes coming from someone that isn't local and experienced.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm commercial licensed and familiar with every state other than HI, AK, MA, LA and FL. That said commercial policies are structured in a much more modular fashion than personal lines policies and you don't want anything more than the broadest of strokes coming from someone that isn't local and experienced.

Can you give me a bit of a broad strokes primer? Do we actually need insurance if all building related liability is covered by someone else? I mean, we're basically playing with Lego and discussing stuff in a circle, it's not teaching gymnastics.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
My wife's auto insurance (State Farm) has risen about 10% in the past year. We've made no claims (on any of our policies with them) and had no changes to our policy or anything that would affect it on our end, such as deductibles, address or marriage status. The car is a 2012 Lexus IS 350, so nothing particularly rare or exotic, and definitely still on a typical depreciation curve.

Looking at the August 2014 statement versus August 2015

Liability: $143.74 --> $162.49
Comprehensive: $123.87 --> $136.07
Collision: $151.67 --> $156.92
Uninsured: stayed constant at $37.10

What kind of bullshit answer will they give me if I call to inquire about this? State Farm has always been the clear winner for me when I price-shopped (it's been a while). Have there been industry-wide jumps like this?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Easychair Bootson posted:

My wife's auto insurance (State Farm) has risen about 10% in the past year. We've made no claims (on any of our policies with them) and had no changes to our policy or anything that would affect it on our end, such as deductibles, address or marriage status. The car is a 2012 Lexus IS 350, so nothing particularly rare or exotic, and definitely still on a typical depreciation curve.

What kind of bullshit answer will they give me if I call to inquire about this? State Farm has always been the clear winner for me when I price-shopped (it's been a while). Have there been industry-wide jumps like this?

Lexus is a luxury vehicle, man. Granted, its not hyper exotic, but its an expensive car to insure since a lot of luxury vehicles have more expensive paneling and grill work that functionally provide nothing, but look cool, and thus can be pricey to replace. So I wouldn't be surprised if those prices increase.

Having said that, those looks like pretty standard increases everywhere except maybe the Liability which tells me it has less to do with the car and more to do with either you or loss rates in your area.

I mean, your Comp went up $13,a YEAR so thats what, $1.08 a month? Collision went up a measly $5 a YEAR. No complaints from me on that.

The liability though, may be worth shopping around, though that isn't a huge increase. What state are you in? Have you tried calling a big carrier just to hash out the prices they are offering? I'd call Allstate, Nationwide, or Safeco/Liberty Mutual to see what they are offering.

Otherwise that isn't that bad.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Honestly, there are a TON of things that go into rating car insurance.

The car is a year older, your wife is a year older, your credit may have changed, the zip code you live in may have had a rating change, the vehicle and class may have had a rating change, your whole state may have had law and rating changes. So to say "no changes on your end" is a tad false. There were changes on your end, but they are likely things you don't think about (age of you/vehicle, credit, etc.)

The rule of thumb in my agency is if the price jumps more than 10% at two consecutive renewals we will look at shopping it with the companies we write for. If not we tell people to watch it for one more renewal. Longevity is an AWESOME thing to have (State Farm has a 3, 6 and 10 yr accident free discount which you may be eligible for in 1 more year or something). If you REALLY want a second opinion I will tell you the same thing I say a ton in this thread...call an independent agent in your area. Independent agents typically have many companies to look at (we have 13 now), so we can get you a good range of prices. Try to stick with having an agent...gently caress Geico/Progressive. Seriously, agents are an awesome resource that you lose by writing online.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I have yet to see why one wants an agent. I had Allstate and State Farm for years. The agent never did anything for me besides cost me more. They handled claims worse than Progressive has, too... Just my $0.02.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

I have yet to see why one wants an agent. I had Allstate and State Farm for years. The agent never did anything for me besides cost me more. They handled claims worse than Progressive has, too... Just my $0.02.

Cool secluded anecdotal evidence with sprinkled in false information.

Your agents all sucked, and is a direct reflection on your ability to find one that properly handles and manages his business. It isn't hard to spot an agent that cares and properly reviews his client lists. Start by making sure the agent is older than 29 and younger than 65. Meet with the agent to review the quotes and policy before purchasing...don't just call on the phone. When it comes time for a claim do everything they tell you in the time frame they provide (seriously...don't show up to pick up your claim check without the title you were told 16 times you need to bring). Get an independent agent who won't tell you to get bent if your rates go up.

To Progressive you are nothing more than a pay day, and since you picked your own coverage you have no one to blame if you need more coverage than you purchased. I work with Progressive on a daily basis, and can assure you if it is any more work than paying a couple grand because of a clear cut accident they will do everything in their power to screw you over.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OssiansFolly posted:

Cool secluded anecdotal evidence with sprinkled in false information.

Your agents all sucked, and is a direct reflection on your ability to find one that properly handles and manages his business. It isn't hard to spot an agent that cares and properly reviews his client lists. Start by making sure the agent is older than 29 and younger than 65. Meet with the agent to review the quotes and policy before purchasing...don't just call on the phone. When it comes time for a claim do everything they tell you in the time frame they provide (seriously...don't show up to pick up your claim check without the title you were told 16 times you need to bring). Get an independent agent who won't tell you to get bent if your rates go up.

To Progressive you are nothing more than a pay day, and since you picked your own coverage you have no one to blame if you need more coverage than you purchased. I work with Progressive on a daily basis, and can assure you if it is any more work than paying a couple grand because of a clear cut accident they will do everything in their power to screw you over.

This is correct, but to his credit, a bad agent can ruin it for a client. THis is good advice though. Agents literally cost you no more than going online, though.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Jastiger posted:

Lexus is a luxury vehicle, man. Granted, its not hyper exotic, but its an expensive car to insure since a lot of luxury vehicles have more expensive paneling and grill work that functionally provide nothing, but look cool, and thus can be pricey to replace. So I wouldn't be surprised if those prices increase.

Having said that, those looks like pretty standard increases everywhere except maybe the Liability which tells me it has less to do with the car and more to do with either you or loss rates in your area.

I mean, your Comp went up $13,a YEAR so thats what, $1.08 a month? Collision went up a measly $5 a YEAR. No complaints from me on that.
Those are 6 month premiums (I was just comparing from 2 statements ago). Granted, we're only talking about an increase of ~$90/year, but that represents a sizable chunk of our auto insurance costs.

OssiansFolly posted:

Honestly, there are a TON of things that go into rating car insurance.

The car is a year older, your wife is a year older, your credit may have changed, the zip code you live in may have had a rating change, the vehicle and class may have had a rating change, your whole state may have had law and rating changes. So to say "no changes on your end" is a tad false. There were changes on your end, but they are likely things you don't think about (age of you/vehicle, credit, etc.)
Fair point; there are certainly variables that are beyond my knowledge, but those that are within my knowledge seem to point to rates trending downward. The car's worth less, my wife's a year older (36 now), our credit is tip-top, etc. That's why it's strange that even with those variables factored in, there would be such large swings in the unknown variables to cause such a big jump.

I don't mean to sound argumentative... I get it, it's just counterintuitive.

FWIW I've never been in an accident when I was behind the wheel, and she's been in one, 13 years ago when someone rear-ended her at a red light. I haven't had a ticket 18 years and I'm not sure she ever has. We made one comprehensive claim (windshield) on her old car about 5 years ago, and I made one on my current car just over 11 years ago. We've got three auto policies, our homeowners, and a personal articles (jewelry) policy with them, and we've never made any claims on those besides the two mentioned. We've both have 15+ year relationships with State Farm. All of that combined is why it irks me a bit to see such a jump.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
My agents were in their 50's and seemed pretty good. The facts are that an agent does nothing for you besides answer policy questions. Claims are handled the same regardless. But you guys have a very clear reason why you'd support agents so much.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

My agents were in their 50's and seemed pretty good. The facts are that an agent does nothing for you besides answer policy questions. Claims are handled the same regardless. But you guys have a very clear reason why you'd support agents so much.

Nothing you've stated is ACTUALLY a fact. Please review your use of that term.

Those are 6 month premiums (I was just comparing from 2 statements ago). Granted, we're only talking about an increase of ~$90/year, but that represents a sizable chunk of our auto insurance costs.

Fair point; there are certainly variables that are beyond my knowledge, but those that are within my knowledge seem to point to rates trending downward. The car's worth less, my wife's a year older (36 now), our credit is tip-top, etc. That's why it's strange that even with those variables factored in, there would be such large swings in the unknown variables to cause such a big jump.

FWIW I've never been in an accident when I was behind the wheel, and she's been in one, 13 years ago when someone rear-ended her at a red light. I haven't had a ticket 18 years and I'm not sure she ever has. We made one comprehensive claim (windshield) on her old car about 5 years ago, and I made one on my current car just over 11 years ago. We've got three auto policies, our homeowners, and a personal articles (jewelry) policy with them, and we've never made any claims on those besides the two mentioned. We've both have 15+ year relationships with State Farm. All of that combined is why it irks me a bit to see such a jump.

If that is the case, and your agent ALSO tells you that he can't find a reason for the rate change it may be time to shop it. As someone that worked in a State Farm agency I can tell you that your phone call will go one of 2 ways. They will either tell you it is a rate change and there is nothing they can do about it, OR they will try to convince you to lower coverages/buy more products for discounts. It could actually be a rate change for the state with that company. Insurance is a constant roller coaster of up and down rates that take years to enact because of state departments of insurance.

Just because a car is a year older (and worth less) doesn't mean it is safer compared to new cars, or less likely to malfunction. Just because your wife is a year older doesn't mean her peers have continued to drive as flawlessly as she has (remember insurance is all statistics).

Seriously though, call another agent. This time call an agent that has multiple companies, so next time this happens they can just move you internally without making you do as much work.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hmm yeah, I'd definitely shop around if those are 6 month premiums. The rates still aren't horrible, but that is a more sizable jump. No harm in looking around.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SiGmA_X posted:

Even if they do "nothing" its better to have an informed opinion rather than going it alone for MOST people. Often times it costs very little to even less to increase coverage on policies, particularly auto if you know what you're doing.

I have yet to see a situation where having an agent cost someone more just because they had an agent.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I suppose I did learn a lot about policy coverage from my agent 10-12yrs ago. But paying almost 2x per year for that privilege vs using Progressive for the exact same coverage? I don't see the point. And every agent I've talked to is happy to sit down and discuss recommended coverage etc without signing you up, so again I don't see the point in paying vastly more for the same.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

I suppose I did learn a lot about policy coverage from my agent 10-12yrs ago. But paying almost 2x per year for that privilege vs using Progressive for the exact same coverage? I don't see the point. And every agent I've talked to is happy to sit down and discuss recommended coverage etc without signing you up, so again I don't see the point in paying vastly more for the same.

Again, nothing you just said is true. You are literally just spouting half assed anecdotal evidence at best.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SiGmA_X posted:

Genuinely curious, how were you paying two times as much? Were the agents charging you a fee to sign you up? Were the companies they represented just different companies or something?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Genuinely curious, how were you paying two times as much? Were the agents charging you a fee to sign you up? Were the companies they represented just different companies or something?

He actually can not provide you with any factual evidence to support his statements...that is the angering part about him being in this thread making inaccurate statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jastiger posted:

I sent my policy coverages to a State Farm agent and Allstate agent. I sat down with both after. The pricing was ~90% more than the *exact same* coverage from Progressive. They were blown away when I showed them my Progressive pricing. I've had multiple friends do the same thing. It holds true pretty much every time...

I don't have a digital copy of the Allstate quote, that was 1.5yrs ago. I do have a quote from 6/4/2015 from State Farm compared to my 6/17/2015 Progressive renewal. *100% identical coverage* - $1,801 vs $959. That is a 87.8% price hike. For literally the *exact same* coverage.

I could post up screenshots from home if you don't believe me. I don't have the ability to do so from my phone. Talking to an agent isn't worth $1.7k a year to me...