Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Reaper, update #50 posted:

Kickstarter will begin taking your pledges now. If your payment bounces, they will notify you and you have only 7 days to make good on your payment.
In 3-4 weeks, Kickstarter will give us the funds they receive from you. At that time, we can synchronize our Pledge Manager with their payment data. Once we do that, the Pledge manager will reflect how much you paid, and you'll be able to add more stuff.
After that, there will be 6-8 months during which ALL BACKERS MUST use the pledge manager at least once to give us their shipping address, and to tell us which rewards they want. At that time, you may also add additional funds for more rewards.
Even if you have selected your rewards already, the selections are NOT FINAL until we receive the payments from Kickstarter (in 2-3 weeks). We will post another Update to this project (which should also arrive in your e-mail) with instructions once that is ready.
We will be posting progress updates, including art updates where we show the final sculpts of things which are concept art now, and other project related news for the manufacturing phase on the first and third Fridays of every month, beginning with the third Friday of August, August 21st.
Thanks for all of your support!
~Reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Having 6 months to be able to afford what I want from this is pretty awesome imo

Trollslayer Sophie says "Even a succubus needs to study. Stay in school kids!"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I wish that you could skim out part of the expansions, because I would like the altar and the cultists from the start of Mythos, but don't really want to spend the money all the expansion. Even though it is full of rad Lovecraftian poo poo. I'm trying to keep my costs down!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You could probably agree to some sort of trade with someone else. Or buy the whole thing and sell what you don't want on ebay. E: in fact, posting your general location might prompt someone into saying they're willing to help you out =)

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 26, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ashcans posted:

I'm trying to keep my costs down!
how loving dare you

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Ashcans posted:

I wish that you could skim out part of the expansions, because I would like the altar and the cultists from the start of Mythos, but don't really want to spend the money all the expansion. Even though it is full of rad Lovecraftian poo poo. I'm trying to keep my costs down!

It's intentional. It makes sure there'll still be some stuff you'll want to pick up at retail. Reaper doesn't quite lose money on these, but their margins are pretty razor thin. I think Bryan said they made about thirty grand on Bones 2, which is less than one percent of what they took in. Retail is what ultimately makes it profitable.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well yeah, that's kind of the point of kickstarter. It's supposed to be about getting capital investment to get a product started without needing to go to investors. It's not a store.

In this case, what they're using the money for is paying for the tooling of the injection moulds. The first was about buying their own machine.

Speaking of, is there any news on when they're likely to start producing bones in the USA? I know the KSes are fulfilled from China, but I'm not sure about the normal day-to-day sales.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well, not exactly. All of them have been about the tooling. Getting the machine was a fringe "We finally have money to start doing this" sort of venture.

However, the one machine still isn't anywhere near enough for full Bones production. They did use it to start making bases, and I believe there are a few things they're going to produce stateside, but the majority of the manufacturing is still in China, and it's likely to stay that way for at least another few years. When they first got Thomas, they were talking about being able to take complete control after ten years or so.

They have been working on taking the steps, and they're working out some of the problems they know they'll have. For example, the molds all have "Made in China" on them. When they bring production stateside, that will have to be modified (possibly by the simple expedient of a small plate put into the mold).

It's definitely on their agenda. It's almost certainly going to happen eventually. But Reaper tends to be very conservative about these things. They're going to take it slow, because they don't want to risk losing money. That's the sort of thing that happens when your company was founded by and is run by accountants.

Fun fact. Reaper started off because Ed Pugh wanted to run a goods-based business to better understand his clients' needs. Pewter casting was chosen because it had a cheap initial outlay, and Pugh was kind of a nerd.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Wow, with 6 months or so to finish up the Pledge Manager, I might just end up getting Ma'al after all. And probably some of the Cthulhu stuff as well, just because it looks so goddamn awesome.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea I understand why, and there are lots of things where I would like a single miniature out of a group where I am just going to pretend I bought it and when I think about actually painting it they'll be available to buy retail. It's just that big chunk that is cool and tempting and would be more of a pain to grab later.

thespaceinvader posted:

You could probably agree to some sort of trade with someone else. Or buy the whole thing and sell what you don't want on ebay. E: in fact, posting your general location might prompt someone into saying they're willing to help you out =)

More likely to buy it all and ebay, otherwise I have to hope that everyone stays in a deal for over a year. It would suck if someone agreed to help me out and then got permabanned or just wandered off in the next year. I live in Boston though, if anyone is interested!

I suppose when people start posting about getting their stuff I can always hassle them to sell it to me. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

So what kinda minis you like? I'm probably not going to paint bones because I don't particularly like painting bones.

Hey, you don't have PMs, but if you send an email to my gmail (gshort2), I'll happily provide a shipping address for any dubious shipments you may have to send my way some time in the mysterious future. :haw:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Went camping, came back to

Mother
loving
DAGON.

Hell yes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Welp I guess I'll have to get some of these at retail since I kept saying "Yep I'll put in my token dollar to reserve the pledge manager tomorrow" and ran out of tomorrows.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Try contacting reaper. They might be cool and let you in after the fact, I did the same with Mantic when I missed Deadzone.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
They'll let you back, but it'll be slightly higher than KS prices. Still cheaper than retail, but not quite as good as you would have had.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alternatively, I'm sure some helpful goons could get some things you might be after and then ship them to you after the fact.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
This way lies madness check your PMs.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
So here's a thing, my buddy and I put in a bid on these together, but I can't wait a year for miniatures. So I'm going to order some bones from 1 and 2 from the reaper webstore. I don't know if this has been discussed, but what are your favorite minis from the past 2 Bones sets?

I like and have:
Mariel Twinspar
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/oldest/77135
Damien, Hellborn Wizard
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/oldest/77149
Astrid, Female Bard
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/oldest/77078
Amiri, Female Barbarian
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/oldest/89005
Janan, Dragon Slayer
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/oldest/77039

Shawn fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 1, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I actually think that the smaller minis are not as fun in bones as in hard plastic or metal. So my favourite bones are the slightly larger minis, especially the monsters. The owlbear from the first bones was great fun to paint, and I'm just finishing a dragon that was good too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

lilljonas posted:

I actually think that the smaller minis are not as fun in bones as in hard plastic or metal. So my favourite bones are the slightly larger minis, especially the monsters. The owlbear from the first bones was great fun to paint, and I'm just finishing a dragon that was good too.

This is my experience as well. Fine detail tends to be juuust a little blurry on Bones, especially for the first coat where it's still a bit translucent. Big duders are way more fun to paint, and I've loved painting the dragons probably the most because the detailing is easy to do on all the scales.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Yeah a lot of the big guys are a ton of fun to paint. The Earth Elemental from Bones 1 is one of my favorites

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Man, that is an ace figure. I may have to look into getting one retail just for the excuse to use terrain supplies on a mini.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It is pretty neat. I got two.

The idea for the beard/eyebrows was totally stolen from Bucnasti

Yes, it's the Thing. I never did do the group shot of my fantasy fantastic four, and my Sue Storm mini is at a friend's house for D&D. The eyes are bits of basing sand I glued on and then painted.

E: also super-easy to paint to a good standard because it's basically a basecoat-and-drybrush job and looks good for it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Got some of my bones painted up for a coworkers DnD game. The DM has about half my bones collection on loan at the moment and I'm waiting for the PC's to get higher level so I have an excuse to paint up some of the bigger guys that'd normally set aside till who know's when.

Why is the wolverine on flight stand? Because the half-orc druid he's an animal companion for likes using him as a projectile...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I thought it as a flying beaver and I was trying to figure out how exactly the euphemism was supposed to work.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, come loving on. A chibi human fly? Do they think I'm made of money?

Time to revise my budget...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not sure what's so hot about the re-sculpt on the giants. Like, they show the concept art for those and say they're "based on" the work by blah blah blah, but then in the same blurb they say they are just re-sculpts that are maybe a little bigger? I have those same sculpts from the original bones campaign and the frost giant queen is like 2.5" and the king is 2.5-3.5" depending on whether you count his sword, so at 75mm, I guess they've made them half an inch taller? Or are they actually getting re-sculpted from scratch, just based on the same drawings? So like maybe a higher quality sculpt. I don't know. I love me some giants but if it's just going to be duplicates of what I already have multiple copies of but a whopping half inch taller, there's no way I'm jumping in at $15 a pop.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure they're new sculps based on the old art. Still, I'm with you. Unless the sculpts blow me out of the water, I'll be passing on them.

Chibi human fly, though...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Bones 3 pm is officially open to take your order and money, but there's no rush - it doesn't close until June 2016.

Plenty of time to save!

Plus new stuff unlocked for shits n giggles

Same again in red, blue, green and purple translucent plastic

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 19, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Plus new stuff unlocked for shits n giggles because the KS earned a lot less than they were expecting so all this stuff that they already did work on wasn't unlocked by the end

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I know, I just didn't want to be mean

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont want any of that stuff, a Christmas miracle!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The update says these are "new sculpts" but I have both these guys already in bonesium.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm assuming they're doing new sculpts, but still using the old concept art as a basis for them

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It sort of irks me that they're doing that sort of work when they still have so much of their range waiting to be made in Bones at all. I mean, Reaper will do what Reaper will do and there's already so much more cool stuff out in Bones than I could have possibly imagined when it was 4 years ago and they just had like a werewolf and a purple worm, so it feels kind of petty to be saying this, but given that there's a de facto limited number of spots for new tooling, it seems like they should be expanding the line rather than redoing little details.

poo poo, if you want to revisit older Bones, start remaking the floppy-weapon-havers in rigid Bonesium. There's a significant quality increase.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

From the chatter on the reaper boards they're just scaled up a bit to match 5th edition sizes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Terrible Opinions posted:

From the chatter on the reaper boards they're just scaled up a bit to match 5th edition sizes.

Yeah, assuming they match the original sculpts, they're gonna be like half an inch taller, woo.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ah great a thread to poast my shame in

2015 Core Set x1
StormWing x1
Fire Giant King & Queen x1
Pretty Deadly x1

I ordered another pretty deadly cause that lady oni :swoon:. by the time these show up we'll probably have stopped playing anything and I'll be over this painting folly I'm in

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I haven't gotten to play since before the first bones campaign and yet here I am, dropping half a G on plastic mansters again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bad Munki posted:

I haven't gotten to play since before the first bones campaign and yet here I am, dropping half a G on plastic mansters again.

one of the guys in my group brought our attention to the second ks and I shot it down saying we haven't played in months and they'll just gather dust in my closet. well, we're playing again and i'm looking forward to these models gathering dust in my closet

• Locked thread