Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching A Million Ways to Die in the West and it was kind of odd how Seth MacFarlane's character gets into three gunfights in the movie and cheats in two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What, did the family choose to not pull the plug on the 1/4 still alive?

I only heard about that after the fact, and it didn't really make the news. Not that I saw. And this was after the third death, where the owning company of the park said the park would be closed if another death happened. So I was always kind of skeptical. Plus, it was a tree branch falling from a tree, not an idiot doing what they weren't supposed to do.

(Lake Compounce did nothing wrong.)

EDIT: Just looked it up, a tree branch did kill a kid that fourth year. Sheesh.

IUG has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Jul 26, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

EmmyOk posted:

I agree. I think films/shows could benefit from just starting the story and let the details come out naturally as the viewer spends more time watching. It also leads to awkward and strange exposition dumps where a character explains something to another for no reason. It'd be like if you and I took a car journey and I just casually started explaining the combustion engine out of nowhere.

You should check out Daredevil on Netflix.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

LeJackal posted:

Take a look at another space-fiction case, Star Wars. In the original trilogy, they don't explain anything beyond what is needed to move the story along. Do we get a ten minute lecture on the physics of lightsabres? Nope - we are told that it was the traditional weapon of the Jedi Knight and shown that it chops off arms and makes pewpew lasers bounce aside. We find out why it matters (context) and what it does, all in the course of moving the plot forward/building characters

Here's my IIMM with Star Wars (just the first one):

Luke gets this awesome piece of imaginary technology, with a scene dedicated entirely to what it does and why it's important. He then practices with it on the Millennium Falcon for a bit, and then never uses it again. Man, it sure is lucky that the movie was successful enough to warrant a sequel, because otherwise Chekhov would be rolling in his grave.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

IUG posted:

I worked at Lake Compounce where 3/4 people died in 4 years (last one was a falling tree branch, but I definitely worked the first 3). That park is still running.

It doesn't have dinosaurs, even.

Action Park. :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Action Park. :colbert:

Action Park just sounds too ridiculous to be a real place. I can't even figure out what the most over the top bit to quote would be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, but maybe if you're going to make sure you can always breathe you could also make sure the equipment your bridge crew have to sit next to are plugged into surge protectors.

They need to have warp plasma flowing through every deck for such as LCARs and lighting.

This obviously results in a lot of the casualties on deck nine.

Then there are the transporters which in addition to stranding you surrounded by subspace star squids can have a pattern buffer fail because of ion storm or something and Lt. Hotlips died on the way up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"Computer... replicate me one of those suits we use for anbo-jitsu, but which protects against electrical burns."

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

syscall girl posted:

They need to have warp plasma flowing through every deck for such as LCARs and lighting.

:psyduck: Warp plasma...for lighting? :psyduck:

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

LeJackal posted:

:psyduck: Warp plasma...for lighting? :psyduck:

You wouldn't even need bulbs, just route the stuff through a transparent pipe on the ceiling. Efficient!

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ninjahedgehog posted:

Here's my IIMM with Star Wars (just the first one):

Luke gets this awesome piece of imaginary technology, with a scene dedicated entirely to what it does and why it's important. He then practices with it on the Millennium Falcon for a bit, and then never uses it again. Man, it sure is lucky that the movie was successful enough to warrant a sequel, because otherwise Chekhov would be rolling in his grave.

Doesn't Ben use it later? If nothing else he draws it and then shuts it off during the big duel. That's something I liked about the old Star Wars, the Jedi have this weird moral philosophy that's never really explained but ends up saving Luke at the end of the third one; they're not just doing backflips and killing everyone with abandon

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

swamp waste posted:

Doesn't Ben use it later? If nothing else he draws it and then shuts it off during the big duel. That's something I liked about the old Star Wars, the Jedi have this weird moral philosophy that's never really explained but ends up saving Luke at the end of the third one; they're not just doing backflips and killing everyone with abandon

Yeah, and he also cuts off that one dude's arm in the cantina. But it's his own lightsaber though, not Anakin/Luke's, which they spend a lot of time establishing only to hang on Luke's belt for the entire movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

swamp waste posted:

They're talking about Luke's lightsabre, not Ben's. Luke practices with it aboard the Falcon, but he never uses it during the Death Star mission.

Of course, it's not really that surprising if you think about it. Luke can't deflect bolts reliably yet, it's much more sensible for him to use the blaster that he does know how to use. And from the Death Star they go straight to the battle of Yavin, so there's no more opportunities.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm not sure when in the Death Star mission he would have used it, he was in a space plane the whole time...

During the 'rescue the princess' bit, he was dressed up as a stormtrooper and wouldn't have had anywhere to keep it.

He uses it a lot more in the latter two movies. When there's actual hand to hand combat going on and he wasn't in disguise.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

swamp waste posted:

Jedit posted:

They're talking about Luke's lightsabre, not Ben's. Luke practices with it aboard the Falcon, but he never uses it during the Death Star mission.

Of course, it's not really that surprising if you think about it. Luke can't deflect bolts reliably yet, it's much more sensible for him to use the blaster that he does know how to use. And from the Death Star they go straight to the battle of Yavin, so there's no more opportunities.

I quoted you both because first you recognize the moral philosophy, then its teaching is remarked on but not recognized. Ben purposefully denies Luke the opportunity to use the lightsabre on the Death Star. He sends him on an infiltration mission with a blaster and blaster-armed friends where the likelihood of using the sabre would be nil - and then at the end Ben ensures that Luke is watching when he teaches what he feels to be the most important lesson. Sometimes you have to turn the lightsabre off, and turn your back to violence.

I think it was something about being confronted with Anakin, the student he failed utterly to train and led down a path of violence with lessons like 'this weapon (the lightsabre) is your life' that really shocked Ben into teaching a different lesson to Luke with extra emphasis by dying.

I like to think that the impact of that sacrifice laid all the groundwork for his eventual rejection of the Dark Side on the DS2.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Jedit posted:

I like to imagine that there's a scrapped scene out there somewhere that had Luke use his saber to kill the green eyeball tentacle monster (or at least hack off a tentacle) but it was cut because it undermined the tension for the rest of the compactor scene.

I would enjoy it though just for the sequence where a green tentacle grabs Luke, he slices it with the lightsaber and then stares down at the water for a beat before going "Huh. That was weird."

Bonus points if Han and Leia are both staring at him with :aaaaa:

NorgLyle has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Jul 26, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

I was watching A Million Ways to Die in the West and it was kind of odd how Seth MacFarlane's character gets into three gunfights in the movie and cheats in two of them.

Why? His character is a smartass and a huge pussy so it makes sense that him being a smartass would get him into a fight and him being a pussy would make him cheat himself out of the fight. It's only after he trains with whats-her-face that he knows how to fight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LeJackal posted:

I quoted you both because first you recognize the moral philosophy, then its teaching is remarked on but not recognized. Ben purposefully denies Luke the opportunity to use the lightsabre on the Death Star. He sends him on an infiltration mission with a blaster and blaster-armed friends where the likelihood of using the sabre would be nil - and then at the end Ben ensures that Luke is watching when he teaches what he feels to be the most important lesson. Sometimes you have to turn the lightsabre off, and turn your back to violence.

I think it was something about being confronted with Anakin, the student he failed utterly to train and led down a path of violence with lessons like 'this weapon (the lightsabre) is your life' that really shocked Ben into teaching a different lesson to Luke with extra emphasis by dying.

I like to think that the impact of that sacrifice laid all the groundwork for his eventual rejection of the Dark Side on the DS2.

At that time it was likely Vader was not Anakin in Lucas' plans.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shai-Hulud posted:

That's what mad Fury Road so great. They don't explain what a black thumb is, they don't show immortan joes rise to power or poo poo like that.
Here's the universe, this story takes place in it, you'll pick everything else up.

I could have sworn he asked Nux if he was a "black tongue", not thumb. I dunno, tongue makes sense to me, because anyone who has worked on cars for a long enough period of time will have had motor oil splash into their mouth from something leaking or from dropping a drain plug into a pan of oil and having it splash everywhere.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Memento posted:

I could have sworn he asked Nux if he was a "black tongue", not thumb. I dunno, tongue makes sense to me, because anyone who has worked on cars for a long enough period of time will have had motor oil splash into their mouth from something leaking or from dropping a drain plug into a pan of oil and having it splash everywhere.

Yes. You are far more likely to get oil in your mouth than the amount of dirt and grime and... oil... you would get on your hands?

Its a play on green fingers, someone that does gardening, taken to the mad max world. Its definitely black thumb.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

:ssh: I had to look it up because i heard "Black Tongue" as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Memento posted:

This is a joke post right?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I think star wars would have been poorer if luke was hanging his lightsaber out the window and deflecting vader's tie bolts back at him, just imo.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Krinkle posted:

I think star wars would have been poorer if luke was hanging his lightsaber out the window and deflecting vader's tie bolts back at him, just imo.

Well I think the expectation was that Vader would also hold his lightsaber out the window and they'd fight as they passed each other.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

LeJackal posted:

You might want to try using tags.

This poo poo ain't hard, son.

Here, let me show you;

Jurassic World:
What was going on with the Jimmy Fallon video in the gyrobubble? Its so desperately obnoxious that it dickpunched me right out of the movie.

Dragging this up from the last page, but a Jimmy Fallon video that addresses the patrons is currently played on the Universal Studios Hollywood tram ride.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Murphys Law posted:

Well I think the expectation was that Vader would also hold his lightsaber out the window and they'd fight as they passed each other.

Lightsabre jousting in space better happen in VII

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://kotaku.com/all-these-things-actually-happen-in-adam-sandlers-pixel-1720012596

Pixels is looking like it might be worse than Jack & Jill. Adam Sandler's career really is dead.

Spoilers:

Kevin James/President Chewie skips into the pub and roars, “Where’s my gamers at?”

“World hero?” Violet says to Brenner on the White House lawn. “I guess you’re not a nerd anymore.”
“You don’t want me to stop being a nerd ever,” Brenner replies. “Because like I said, nerds are the greatest kissers.”

:barf:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pixels has an 18% on Rotten Tomatoes somehow. 19 people gave it a positive review.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

You should check out Daredevil on Netflix.

My irrational moment is the opposite direction for that show. He gets radioactive chemicals spilled on his eyes and gets heightened senses / powers. They never even say what the chemicals were and every other character who learns about his powers seems to be perfectly okay with the idea that radioactive waste on your eyes gives you powers, but extremely surprised about other things.

Daredevil - "I was in an accident and had chemicals spilled on my eyes. That's how I can hear your heartbeat, know you're lying, and hear that girl scream from over 6 miles away."

Rosario Dawson - "Obviously, but how did you get into my apartment when... I LOCKED THE DOOR!??!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Jul 27, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Adam Sandler's movies are always critically panned and then make back 100M plus on the budget.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Adam Sandler's movies are always critically panned and then make back 100M plus on the budget.

This one opened at #2 in the box office with only $24 million, with an $88 million budget, which doesn't take into account the massive ad push they've done. This thing is a certified flop. Although it doesn't matter since Sandler has already moved over to a production deal with Netflix (the first of which made the news a couple of months ago when all the Native American actors walked off set because of the offensive jokes at their expense) so he'll still keep making low effort garbage movies.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

This one opened at #2 in the box office with only $24 million, with an $88 million budget, which doesn't take into account the massive ad push they've done. This thing is a certified flop. Although it doesn't matter since Sandler has already moved over to a production deal with Netflix (the first of which made the news a couple of months ago when all the Native American actors walked off set because of the offensive jokes at their expense) so he'll still keep making low effort garbage movies.

Jack and Jill opened at #2 and made 25M its opening weekend. It went on to make 150M on a 79M budget, no reason to believe Pixels won't do the same.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

150 on 79 is a loss for the studio.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I was just reading an article that said his last several films have all been sub-100M actually

EmmyOk posted:

Jack and Jill opened at #2 and made 25M its opening weekend. It went on to make 150M on a 79M budget, no reason to believe Pixels won't do the same.

Hmm, loving Hollywood accounting. Who knows.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

How much would a film of that budget have to make to be a success?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If what I've heard about Hollywood accounting is true, no movie makes a profit, ever.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Technically Return of the Jedi has never cleared a profit. Hollywood accounting is hosed up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Jack and Jill was probably like Smurfs 2 where they didn't actually have to make any money to be profitable seeing as the entire movie was full of product placements.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

How much would a film of that budget have to make to be a success?

Usually about double the budget. The budget is generally bullshit in the first place, and on top of that doesn't include marketing and other costs.

Unless it actually is making money from product placement, I haven't seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I haven't watched an Adam Sandler film since Mr. Deeds. It's mad how much money they spend making films