Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Anyone using the Air Dock wireless charger care to comment on your sticker/case set-up? I use a Nexus 5 which seems to stick on the dock OK, but I really hate not using a case with the phone. With my Cruzerlite Edge case, it doesn't stick well at all even with the metal sticker placed between the phone and the case. With the sticker on the outer edge (to create a shiny surface) it sticks well, but I don't like the feeling of a sticker on the back of my phone case.

Seems like I need a very thin and shiny plastic case for the phone to allow maximum adhesion. Another option would be to possibly buy more stickers and just put lots of the metal rings in between the phone and it's case? What do you guys think? It was a gift - I really wish I had just got a regular wireless charger that holds the phone in a normal way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

YggiDee posted:

I don't think it's my carrier, because I've never had problems making calls or texts, I just didn't get them. I ended up finding a thing here. It sounds like my problem? I've disabled LTE, but I'm going to be honest, I don't exactly understand what LTE is.

Yeah this sounds similar, but it's a long thread spanning several versions of Android
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/eOToYgJXdrw/discussion

Check your APN settings on your phone too, make sure they're what your carrier says they should be

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MoosetheMooche posted:

Anyone using the Air Dock wireless charger care to comment on your sticker/case set-up? I use a Nexus 5 which seems to stick on the dock OK, but I really hate not using a case with the phone. With my Cruzerlite Edge case, it doesn't stick well at all even with the metal sticker placed between the phone and the case. With the sticker on the outer edge (to create a shiny surface) it sticks well, but I don't like the feeling of a sticker on the back of my phone case.

Seems like I need a very thin and shiny plastic case for the phone to allow maximum adhesion. Another option would be to possibly buy more stickers and just put lots of the metal rings in between the phone and it's case? What do you guys think? It was a gift - I really wish I had just got a regular wireless charger that holds the phone in a normal way.
Airdock+naked N5; no issues at all.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Airdock+naked N5; no issues at all.

Thanks for your input. I'm mostly looking to see if anyone has found a case combination that works since I don't like the feel of the naked N5... have you found any cases that stick to it without the ugly sticker showing on the outside?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

EDIT: Nevermind it appears to be fine now.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 25, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

At this point most notable details have leaked anyway. Its a Moto G with Moto Maker, it's waterproof, and the 16GB model has 2GB RAM. I guess we don't know the prices yet, nor the launch regions.

Really only care about the possibility for the next-gen 360.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
My nexus 5 started getting less than 4 hours of life per full charge. I bought a replacement battery from/through Amazon.

Immediately after install, the replacement battery read "Cold" and wouldn't take a charge. After messing with it a bit, it accepted a charge and charged to 100%.

However, when I screw down the motherboard cover, the battery goes dark. I have duplicated this several times. Applying pressure to the battery connection with my finger cannot duplicate this behavior.

So, with back cover and motherboard removed, it works fine. Reinstalling motherboard cover and screws causes some sort of battery connection loss.

I already ordered another battery; these are LG BL-T9s.

Can anyone explain what is happening, how to address it, and whether or not another battery will fix or imitate this behavior?

P.S. The original battery is gone. It sparked while I pried it out and I immediately walked it out to the curb.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My Moto Maxx finally has a system update, time to install Lollipop!

...it's 5.0.2. :suicide:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I got about 13 hours of standby today with a whopping 30 minutes SOT for my Droid Turbo. It was just sitting in my desk the same as every other work day. What gives, Android?

I thought people having battery issues with the turbo were crazy, but here I am.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

My HTC one is about to kick the bucket, and it's always been just a little too big for me to use one-handed. So I'm looking for a smaller phone and there seems to be slim pickings these days with all the phablets around. The Xperia z3 compact is looking like my best bet, but I would have to but that unlocked. Are there any good smaller phones on AT&T now or in the near future?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's pretty much your only option full stop.

iPhone 5S I guess if you aren't married to Android.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have some crazy stuff going on with my Nexus 6. It'll indicate that it's power is at 60% after being used for 20 minutes from a full charge, but then when it gets down to 1% it'll stay there for another 2.5 hours of screen on time. Its battery drain graph basically looks like the positive side of a (1/x) graph. This is even after a factory reset and several power cycles of my phone from fully dead to fully charged.

Total screen on time is still okay (~4 hours) but it's just the battery reporting that seems to be completely bonkers. Time for an RMA you think?

If you're on M preview 2 or using a custom kernel with M support this is a known thing.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Dracula Factory posted:

My HTC one is about to kick the bucket, and it's always been just a little too big for me to use one-handed. So I'm looking for a smaller phone and there seems to be slim pickings these days with all the phablets around. The Xperia z3 compact is looking like my best bet, but I would have to but that unlocked. Are there any good smaller phones on AT&T now or in the near future?

The Z3C is as good as it gets at that screen size bracket. The 2013 Moto X and Nexus 5 are the only other small devices worth considering, but they're even older than the Z3C, which is no spring chicken itself. No matter what, you're probably not going to find one that you can buy through a carrier subsidy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Reporting back with an update on 5.1.1 on the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - so far so good. Some stuff that was problematic on 5.0.2 has been resolved, mainly some sluggishness with stuff like bringing up the dialler. It's not kicking things out of memory so quickly either - normally if I used Awful a few apps ago, if I brought it up in task switcher, it would reload the thread I was in. Same for pretty much any app, including Chrome.

The new volume controls are a nice convenience but it's the performance improvement that I'm most impressed by, rather than any new feature.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Reporting back with an update on 5.1.1 on the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - so far so good. Some stuff that was problematic on 5.0.2 has been resolved, mainly some sluggishness with stuff like bringing up the dialler. It's not kicking things out of memory so quickly either - normally if I used Awful a few apps ago, if I brought it up in task switcher, it would reload the thread I was in. Same for pretty much any app, including Chrome.

The new volume controls are a nice convenience but it's the performance improvement that I'm most impressed by, rather than any new feature.

My real test will be two commutes with navigation and music going simultaneously. If the random pauses continue I fear I am going to have you break ties with this amazing phone. It's so frustrating that everything rocks except this fatal flaw.

edit: Finally got to a desktop and Sony bridge is saying that my software is up to date. Is there a way to manually install 5.1 or do I have to continue to be impatient?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 25, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TraderStav posted:

My real test will be two commutes with navigation and music going simultaneously. If the random pauses continue I fear I am going to have you break ties with this amazing phone. It's so frustrating that everything rocks except this fatal flaw.

edit: Finally got to a desktop and Sony bridge is saying that my software is up to date. Is there a way to manually install 5.1 or do I have to continue to be impatient?

There are online guides to flash the ROM yourself if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing, with the caveat that you could brick your phone. I flashed the 5.0.2 ROM a few months ago because I didn't want to wait ages for Vodafone UK to push the update. Scared the shite out of me but I didn't really have an idea of what I was doing, but it eventually went well in the end.

I take it your phone is carrier-branded in terms of the software?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There are online guides to flash the ROM yourself if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing, with the caveat that you could brick your phone. I flashed the 5.0.2 ROM a few months ago because I didn't want to wait ages for Vodafone UK to push the update. Scared the shite out of me but I didn't really have an idea of what I was doing, but it eventually went well in the end.

I take it your phone is carrier-branded in terms of the software?

No, its a UK unlocked version that hotsauce picked up on day one. Would that wipe all my data? If so, I may just wait for OTA

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
haha oh my god someone ported CM9 to the ARCHOS 10.1 INTERNET TABLET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFPbYqdw3oY

and you know what its actually significantly more usable than its previous state. i still wouldn't even call it 'usable' but you can at least browse the web and do basic functions with the calculator and such without it spazzing out and on top of it it's actually got a tablet ui. and the touchscreen actually works now lol

otoh there is literally nothing i can use it for cause 256mb of ram means it can't even run the youtube app or the google play music app to work as a chromecast remote (which is why i thought i would bother installing cm9 onit in the first place) so what the gently caress can i use a barely functional tablet for

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sounds like a great port!

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
you know a tablet is loving garbage when a half-assed cyanogen port with a ton of issues has less issues than the stock software and runs smoother and faster

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TraderStav posted:

No, its a UK unlocked version that hotsauce picked up on day one. Would that wipe all my data? If so, I may just wait for OTA

I can't remember if there's a way to install the ROM without wiping the phone completely, but that's how I did it - check out some of the guides. Most settings are backed up to the cloud, and you can back up your files.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

A wipe wouldn't kill me and everything is backed up, but I'm lazy. Thanks for the info

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hope I'm not making GBS threads up the thread here, but Amazon is selling the Samsung Galaxy S6 32GB black for £364.99, which isn't bad at all really.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Cool beans, looks like the new Moto G's going to be $180. Definitely more reasonable, so I'm definitely getting one and Craigslisting my Note 4.

I'll probably get one for my fiancee as well so she can finally ditch her beat up Galaxy S3 that she's had since it was brand new.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Daily Forecast posted:

Cool beans, looks like the new Moto G's going to be $180. Definitely more reasonable, so I'm definitely getting one and Craigslisting my Note 4.

I'll probably get one for my fiancee as well so she can finally ditch her beat up Galaxy S3 that she's had since it was brand new.

Wait and see, don't do it unless it has 2gb of RAM. It's not worth the pain one only 1gb.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

SB35 posted:

Wait and see, don't do it unless it has 2gb of RAM. It's not worth the pain one only 1gb.

It's supposed to have 2gb now. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it ran better than a S3 with only one, though.

I'm pretty excited that quality android phones are rapidly dropping in price; if the new Nexi/Moto X don't impress at a <$500 price point I'm probably just going to get on a yearly-rotation with the Moto G or equivalent.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

IuniusBrutus posted:

It's supposed to have 2gb now. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it ran better than a S3 with only one, though.

Does she have an "international" s3? The north American one came with 2GB of RAM.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
A T-Mobile one, so whichever version that is, I dunno.

Whenever I have to use her phone I get angry at how much it lags.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is the Moto event on Tuesday supposed to be a release or just an announcement of a release date?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Is the Moto event on Tuesday supposed to be a release or just an announcement of a release date?

In the past these events have been product announcements during which no release date gets mentioned at all.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Pretty excited about tomorrow's Moto event.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've seen this story come across all of my tech RSS feeds this morning:

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/07/27/426613020/major-flaw-in-android-phones-would-let-hackers-in-with-just-a-text

Supposedly a malicious MMS message can perform remote code execution without any action by the user required.

Real? Bullshit? People getting worked up over nothing?

Edit: Link to the original story.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 27, 2015

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
From the few discussions I can find online this morning, it sounds like the actual method to perform the exploit hasn't been made public, just the fact that it exists. Probably only a matter of time until someone figures it out and starts bulk-messaging though.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I think you can turn off Hangout's pre-processing of MMS messages:
- Settings
- SMS
- Uncheck "Auto retrieve MMS"

It might at least protect you from getting hit by a text without even opening it. Maybe. Worth a try! (Seriously, who even uses MMS anymore?)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

I've seen this story come across all of my tech RSS feeds this morning:

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/07/27/426613020/major-flaw-in-android-phones-would-let-hackers-in-with-just-a-text

Supposedly a malicious MMS message can perform remote code execution without any action by the user required.

Real? Bullshit? People getting worked up over nothing?

Edit: Link to the original story.

The story reiterates what we already know: if your updates don't come directly from Google you are running a huge risk. If you care at all about security, you'd better have a nexus or an iPhone.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

RZA Encryption posted:

The story reiterates what we already know: if your updates don't come directly from Google you are running a huge risk. If you care at all about security, you'd better have a nexus or an iPhone.

Didn't iOS have almost the exact same issue a few months back?

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/26/ios-bug-crashing-iphones-with-text-message/

I guess it's just a crash not a compromise though.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

RZA Encryption posted:

Agreed, although it sounds like Google has only patched the Nexus 6 so far.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

Didn't iOS have almost the exact same issue a few months back?

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/26/ios-bug-crashing-iphones-with-text-message/

I guess it's just a crash not a compromise though.

Bugs are going to exist, the question is how effectively the software maintainers can deliver the fixes. If you're on some carrier branded non-flagship, it just isn't going to happen, there's just no monetary incentive to do it. This will always be the case unless the company in charge of the platform has complete control over updates. This is why 99% of Android devices will always be complete dogshit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'm pretty excited that quality android phones are rapidly dropping in price; if the new Nexi/Moto X don't impress at a <$500 price point I'm probably just going to get on a yearly-rotation with the Moto G or equivalent.

The 16GB version might be the only Moto G model that has 2GB of RAM, and will be I'm guessing around the $240-$250 price point. I imagine the 8GB version, which is likely the model that will retail for $179.99, still has only 1GB of RAM. http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ultiple-colors/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There's going to be an Android One phone in India with 2GB RAM and a quad core processor for $177.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-one-initiative-gets-reboot-lava-pixel-v1

I wish Android One devices were available in the USA instead of the horrible things at the bottom of the prepaid carrier offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I have some serious issues with my Nexus 5 and I guess this is the place to ask?

1. I can't turn on my wi-fi. The button is grayed out. With some Airplane Mode fuckery I can make the wi-fi turn on. This throws the phone into a boot loop until I shut the wi-fi off. This didn't bother me for a while since I didn't use a lot of data, but is a problem now.

2. My batteries die extremely fast. I have replaced them multiple times, I am on the third battery. My phone was fine and then the next day my batteries died within 3 hours, got extremely hot and charged very slow.

3. My camera shuts my phone off. Whether I use flash or not, if I take a picture my phone turns off. I can't turn it on until I plug it in and then unplug it. The phone will then remember it has a battery. :v:

I bought my Nexus 5 about a month after release and am on the latest Lollipop. I have done numerous factory resets and tried various versions that friends have recommended to me, with zero luck.