Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bigass Moth posted:

Eat less?

Or lift heavier printers all day.

Printer shotput exercise regimen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Working at a client site and they have 24/7 support with the vendor of the system I'm troubleshooting.

5pm rolls around and the tech I've been working with all day disappears off the face of the earth and I'm left with a mismatched BIOS and no license :bang:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That was with me lifting printers and stuff all day. Knowing how to deadlift probably did save my back, although I couldn't always get in a good position. There were so many printers under counters and desks. I was really happy when they started rolling out smaller printers to replace the Lexmark T654 and T644s that they had been using.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Bigass Moth posted:

Eat less?

Or lift heavier printers all day.
My pre-IT job was at staples. Lugging printers around all day really was my exercise.

Kept me at a very slow gain rate, but not enough to lose on its own.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Standing desks for everyone it really helped me. A Readydesk is only like 200ish.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I took up rock climbing to stay in shape. Now I have muscles.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A paycheck will (soon) be coming in:

My proposal for standing up a clustered SQL server environment and providing ongoing support for a friend's company was approved. It includes a fee for the actual work, plus a retainer for monthly support which we've agreed amounts to patching, backups and any ad-hoc support of the environment. So it's up to me to do the job right the first time keep myself from getting calls later. Here's to controlling my own destiny.

Here's to paying off my new car in nine months!

Thanks to all the goons who said to ask for more. I ended up using my current hourly rate from my day job, doubled it because I'd be paying self-employment taxes (and liability insurance and other expenses) and then doubled it again because I already have a job so this'll be cutting into my leisure time and gave him that rate for 40 hours of work (because I can do this in my sleep), plus 8 hours per month as a flat retainer, gambling that I'll get called only every few months for ad-hoc support. They barely blinked, but then I realized that they are basically getting a part-time infrastructure guy at slightly more than the cost of an intern.

win-win.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Agrikk posted:

Thanks to all the goons who said to ask for more. I ended up using my current hourly rate from my day job, doubled it because I'd be paying self-employment taxes (and liability insurance and other expenses) and then doubled it again because I already have a job so this'll be cutting into my leisure time and gave him that rate for 40 hours of work (because I can do this in my sleep), plus 8 hours per month as a flat retainer, gambling that I'll get called only every few months for ad-hoc support. They barely blinked, but then I realized that they are basically getting a part-time infrastructure guy at slightly more than the cost of an intern.

win-win.
If they barely blinked you should have doubled it again.

But congrats anyway.

edit: Now go do it again and turn yourself into a consultant. ;)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 25, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No joking, it's probably a good idea for everyone in IT to learn some basic lifts, especially deadlifts or some variation.

You're going to spend a lot of time at a desk, slowly atrophying while you snarf down mounds bars and Jolt cola, then one day you'll have to install a UPS in a rack, lift with your back and then spend the rest of your life going to a Chiropractor wondering why it doesn't seem to help.

Pretty much this. I weighed something like 260lbs like 6 years back. I got depressed, decided to lose weight, then dropped to about 220lbs in 4 months. I felt great, met my wife-to-be, and sloooowly gained up to 245 in our first year. Held that weight till 2 years ago, when I went from retail > unemployed > working at a bowling alley, where all the running around and lifting large metal things made me drop to 225-230 again, even with eating pizza and wings. Then I got my current job and within a year and a half I'm up to my current weight, getting depressed again because of it, and having back issues. I know my issue is that I'm eating too-large sized portions, and that I'm not moving around enough. But we have a gym membership, my office is doing this challenge, and this weekend I'm buying a food scale and restarting my diet and not letting myself slip into eating out all the time anymore.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go for a bike ride. :wotwot:

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
After several weeks of me trying to convince upper management that if we had a file naming convention in place we probably wouldn't get so many requests to restore files that either weren't there or were just in another place (they didn't care much about that). Later one of the General Managers requested that I look into cleaning up our file system. A couple of weeks of meeting with different teams and explaining the benefits of standardised naming we were well on our way to having the file server looking like it wasn't just a dumping ground.

This was until I got to the last two coordinators. One of them said that she had heard good things from the other coordinators and managers that the system made it easy to find things. The other coordinator, not so much. The exchange went something like this:

:what: = Me
:v: = Coordinator

:v:: We already have a naming convention.
:what:: Really?
:v:: Yes and I make sure that all my team members know how to use it.
*Bring up coordinator's team's folder on tv*
:what:: Which part of the naming convention requires there to be a folder named "Stuff"?

This apparently wasn't funny to 33% of people in the room. After the meeting I met up with the coordinator and asked where her documentation for her naming system was. She points to a wall with a piece of butchers paper and a single file name on it and the words "Date style" pointing to the text Sept2013. I asked if she could explain the motivation behind using that format for the date, her response "That's just what I like."

And it was going really well too.

J
Jun 10, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

I know my issue is that I'm eating too-large sized portions, and that I'm not moving around enough. But we have a gym membership, my office is doing this challenge, and this weekend I'm buying a food scale and restarting my diet and not letting myself slip into eating out all the time anymore.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go for a bike ride. :wotwot:

Good on you. :patriot:

Don't think of it as "going on a diet." Think of it as a permanent lifestyle change, because as soon as you go off the diet you're just going to gain all that weight back. Learn to cook some simple, healthy meals that you actually enjoy eating so the thought of going off the diet never crosses your mind.

And I know it's an overused catchphrase at this point, but for real don't skip leg day. The difference between being the person that stands up off the ground by grabbing onto the nearest sturdy object and going hrnnngh and just standing up instantly unassisted with no grunting required is a great way to feel better about yourself. I felt like I was getting old, then I dropped some weight and got a little bit in shape and all of a sudden I didn't feel old anymore! It's great. Go win that contest. :)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Wtf is up with legal temps?

A client of ours picked up a 4 month temp to fill in for an associate on maternity leave. This guy gets in to a brand new Lenovo X1 carbon, his own office, and all the software he needs to do his work.

Day 1 ticket: I need irfanview (which I tried to install to my user folder because I don't have admin), ghostscript addins, this screen capture software, and Dropbox. Can I just get admin rights so I can do this stuff on my own?
Resolution: I installed his crap for him because I didn't want to cause a scene (minus Dropbox, not allowed), no admin rights because no temps get them.

Day 2: this screen is too small i need an external monitor
Resolution: provide old 4:3 spare on the same day

Day 3: because I have this monitor I need an ergonomic keyboard and this specific model mouse that I can do more work with
Resolution: provided standard keyboard and mouse everybody else gets, he brings in mouse from home anyway

Day 4: I need admin privilege over the evidence database software, I've used this software at another job and know what I'm doing. I tried calling the software tech support for this(!) and they say I need to ask you instead. And can I get that admin password for my computer like I requested before?
Resolution: gave permissions to exactly what he wanted to do in the software, no extras, after going through the proper channels to approve the access which took the remainder of the day because this is a big deal.

Day 5 he quits, tells his recruiter he wasn't getting the resources he needed to complete his work and couldn't stand being in such an environment.

gently caress. That. Guy.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So this week at work one of the departments we support got a new director. This director met with my boss's boss and they, at some point, discussed computers and the director requested a Macbook Pro in our Windows environment. I roll my eyes but fine, people do this and we make it work, and as a director she's not going to actually do any work anyway so all she'll need is office.

I am given the Macbook and two Viewsonic monitors. These don't go together, as these are standard PC monitors and don't have mini displayport, so I set up the Macbook, tell my boss that this is nonsense, and he says they've ordered a docking station so that the Macbook can connect to the monitors. In the meantime, this user is important enough that we've got a Windows laptop with a docking station that has been ordered and that I am to set up.

I get there, and this is an old half-blind woman who can't see the Macbook's Display if it's more than six inches away. It turns out she doesn't know how to move things off of the launcher bar in OS X, doesn't know how to open applications, and basically has never had a Mac before. When she met with my boss's boss, he offered her her choice of computer and she asked what he was using and he told her to get a Mac. As far as we know, he doesn't have a Mac so ?

It then turns out that the dock he got doesn't have DVI connections at all and that we're going to have to order adapter cables anyway. I told her that if she would like she can keep the Windows laptop that is more familiar but "it's so much bigger" so :sigh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The dock will be a USB 3.0 DisplayLink thing that doesn't work reliably with Mac OS X.

F2B
Feb 13, 2003
[Edit wrong thread]

F2B fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 26, 2015

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A client of ours picked up a 4 month temp to fill in for an associate on maternity leave. This guy gets in to a brand new Lenovo X1 carbon, his own office, and all the software he needs to do his work.

Day 1 ticket: I need irfanview (which I tried to install to my user folder because I don't have admin), ghostscript addins, this screen capture software, and Dropbox. Can I just get admin rights so I can do this stuff on my own?
Resolution: I installed his crap for him because I didn't want to cause a scene (minus Dropbox, not allowed), no admin rights because no temps get them.

Day 3: because I have this monitor I need an ergonomic keyboard and this specific model mouse that I can do more work with
Resolution: provided standard keyboard and mouse everybody else gets, he brings in mouse from home anyway

Day 4: I need admin privilege over the evidence database software, I've used this software at another job and know what I'm doing. I tried calling the software tech support for this(!) and they say I need to ask you instead. And can I get that admin password for my computer like I requested before?
Resolution: gave permissions to exactly what he wanted to do in the software, no extras, after going through the proper channels to approve the access which took the remainder of the day because this is a big deal.

Day 5 he quits, tells his recruiter he wasn't getting the resources he needed to complete his work and couldn't stand being in such an environment.

Some day he's going to be a big name lawyer and won't you be sad you constrained him in this way?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd be pissed too if I had to work on a lovely old 4:3 monitor

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You should be happy he quit on his own. I've been on my boss' back the last three weeks to have him fire the temp we brought in a couple months ago because she's so goddamn useless. Friday I gave her the task of sorting through a banker box of cables and it took her the entire day.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sirotan posted:

You should be happy he quit on his own. I've been on my boss' back the last three weeks to have him fire the temp we brought in a couple months ago because she's so goddamn useless. Friday I gave her the task of sorting through a banker box of cables and it took her the entire day.
Sorting?
I don't think I could be that creatively incompetent if I tried.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Blue Ghost posted:

Naming conventions

Oh man, I've run into these things SO many times with current clients where a previous engineer couldn't decide how to name PCs. Had a fairly quick and easy one the other day, client has PCs that are all named after employees. Problem is, they've got a bunch of PCs with former employee names and wanted to make naming them easier in the long run. Took all of 10 minutes to talk to their main decision maker, toss a couple ideas around, and decide that the PC names would be the company initials followed by a 3 digit number for ease (e.g. AB001, AB002, etc.). Now it's all documented, we know who is using what PC, and it's easier for us to track problems down since we know where the PCs are physically located.

Anyone that hasn't adopted at least some sort of simplified naming scheme for PCs and servers is kinda dumb, honestly. It's not a difficult thing to do if someone has a couple brain cells and a splash of common sense.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Sirotan posted:

If we're talking about those 10"x12"x15" banker boxes then that's impressive. There was a 48"x30"x30" box after our office moved last year that took me about 4-5 hours to sort and tie the cables. And that was only due to it been the day after fitting out and wiring half our new office (boss did the other half) and was still doing regular help desk type duties.

Ozz81 posted:

Anyone that hasn't adopted at least some sort of simplified naming scheme for PCs and servers is kinda dumb, honestly. It's not a difficult thing to do if someone has a couple brain cells and a splash of common sense.

This is a really good idea and helps with general maintenance.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Blue Ghost posted:

If we're talking about those 10"x12"x15" banker boxes then that's impressive. There was a 48"x30"x30" box after our office moved last year that took me about 4-5 hours to sort and tie the cables. And that was only due to it been the day after fitting out and wiring half our new office (boss did the other half) and was still doing regular help desk type duties.

Yep, the small kind. She did answer the phone a few times and may have closed a ticket or two but otherwise that was all she did for an entire day. And no, it's not on purpose, she really is just not competent. She also will not ask for help and if I ask if she needs help will generally respond with an annoyed sounding "no". And for whatever reason she never wants to contact users over the phone. She will IM/email then regarding urgent tickets and then sit and wait for hours or days for them to respond, even for users who might be sitting 20ft from our office. It drives me crazy.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

Thanks Ants posted:

The dock will be a USB 3.0 DisplayLink thing that doesn't work reliably with Mac OS X.

It'll be a Kickstarter project his boss backed.

The closest thing Apple makes to a dock is the Thunderbolt Display.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gilok posted:

I am given the Macbook and two Viewsonic monitors. These don't go together, as these are standard PC monitors and don't have mini displayport, so I set up the Macbook, tell my boss that this is nonsense, and he says they've ordered a docking station so that the Macbook can connect to the monitors. In the meantime, this user is important enough that we've got a Windows laptop with a docking station that has been ordered and that I am to set up.
If the screens have regular DisplayPort you just need a $10 mDP->DP cable. There's nothing magic about mDP, it's just a different form factor.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Sirotan posted:

And for whatever reason she never wants to contact users over the phone. She will IM/email then regarding urgent tickets and then sit and wait for hours or days for them to respond, even for users who might be sitting 20ft from our office. It drives me crazy.

This sounds exactly like significant social anxiety.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

spankmeister posted:

I'd be pissed too if I had to work on a lovely old 4:3 monitor

4:3 monitor is best monitor. :colbert:
I stocked up on old-school dell ips 20" monitors at my last job. My favorites though are the 24" 16:10. I've got 2 that will some day embarrass my grandchildren.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

16:10 supremacy

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Did those 21:9 cinema displays ever catch on? They look awesome but Ive never seen one outside of a Best Buy.

I have a triple 1920x1080 right now. No particular use for it but I'm way too spoiled to ever go back to a 4:3, god forbid a lone one :gonk:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

4:3 monitor is best monitor. :colbert:
I stocked up on old-school dell ips 20" monitors at my last job. My favorites though are the 24" 16:10. I've got 2 that will some day embarrass my grandchildren.

If those Dell 1920x1200 monitors embarrass my grandchildren then I'll disinherit them. Those things are sweet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roargasm posted:

Did those 21:9 cinema displays ever catch on? They look awesome but Ive never seen one outside of a Best Buy.

I have a triple 1920x1080 right now. No particular use for it but I'm way too spoiled to ever go back to a 4:3, god forbid a lone one :gonk:

Got one and it's great for FPS games and MMOs on the PC. I also use it when I dock my MBPr. It's 2560x1080 and gives me a great FoV in game, I can have multiple windows open side by side and not feel like they're smushed horizontally, and has a smaller footprint than multiple monitors.

Not so great watching full screen video.

It's also got multiple inputs, so I can swap between computers by switching the input on the monitor. It will also do split screen display for two computers if one of them is using Display Port.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

16:10 supremacy
Golden rectangle supremacy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Fil5000 posted:

If those Dell 1920x1200 monitors embarrass my grandchildren then I'll disinherit them. Those things are sweet.

Dell 2407WFP-HC 4 LYFE!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Dell 2407WFP-HC 4 LYFE!

The 2408s have 2dvi and 2hdmi.
I have one 2407 and one 2408. I'm dying for another 2408 if anyone has the hook up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This post brought to you on two 1920x1200 Dells!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lightning Jim posted:

Sounds like someone is probably confusing the rebooting of the server with the rebooting of the iDRAC. Even a hard reset will not reboot the iDRAC. There are only 2 hard resets of the iDRAC - a virtual power drain by the board, and a full power drain of the system. Doesn't sound like you can do the former since the iDRAC is unresponsive and not sure if a soft reset via the i-Button on the front will work.

Is this your vendor again or straight from Dell?

From a few days ago, but I have found

code:
ipmitool bmc reset cold
seems to reliable hard reboot iDRACs. At least in N*X if you have ipmitool installed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

This has nothing to do with IT, but a challenge came in.

We're starting a Biggest Loser competition here in the office next Friday. I'm kinda pumped because I'm easily the fattest guy here, and therefore I'll likely be winning a cash prize. I have been meaning to lose weight recently.

Don't they usually go by percentage of weight lost?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Don't they usually go by percentage of weight lost?

Varies, but you still have the advantage there as a higher percentage of your body is losable weight.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ilkhan posted:

If they barely blinked you should have doubled it again.

But congrats anyway.

edit: Now go do it again and turn yourself into a consultant. ;)

Am extra double was the first thing I thought when they said yes-"darn! I shoulda asked for more."

No way I'll do consulting full-time again. It was fun chasing down gigs when I was young and it was just me and the missus, but now that there's minions involved I'll take stability, benefits and a healthy healthy stock package, thanks. :)

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

RFC2324 posted:

From a few days ago, but I have found

code:
ipmitool bmc reset cold
seems to reliable hard reboot iDRACs. At least in N*X if you have ipmitool installed.

That's actually the "virtual power drain" I mentioned, as that's how it does a "cold" reboot. RACADM obviously has the same thing since it uses IPMI commands in part (which the iDRAC's SSH server has as well). Considering the "iDRAC isn't responding" POST error, I doubt that the command would work even from the host.

pr0digal posted:

Working at a client site and they have 24/7 support with the vendor of the system I'm troubleshooting.

5pm rolls around and the tech I've been working with all day disappears off the face of the earth and I'm left with a mismatched BIOS and no license :bang:

Is this the same issue post-board replacement? If so - drat. So they do lock the BIOS to a version, and someone forgot to send out another copy of the license?
Dell's Support Live Image does have a temp iDRAC license installer, and there's an auto temp license installer ISO as well on their downloads. Not sure if that helps any. And obviously with Support Live Image, you could flash to the required BIOS as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Dual Dell U2410s here, hooked up to a Precision M4800 that just happened to be left over after our redundancies. I need this setup to close my tickets.

• Locked thread