Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Terrible Robot posted:

It does, and that plane (Dyke Delta JD-2) has a pretty high stall speed of 70-75kts, as well as an approach speed of around 110. It's definitely not a beginners aircraft.

As for why you'd do it, uhh because it looks frickin' awesome? :colbert:

I attended a talk, more or less at random and by accident given by a fellow named Barnaby Wainfan. Dude is a Grumman aerodynamicist, gave a really good talk about how bad airplanes happen. Bad Concept of Operations (like 5/6ths of the Brabazon commission aircraft), extraneous constraints (bad airplanes were built because the spec requred 100' wingspans to fit into existing hangars), getting hung up on a concept to the detriment of function (like the beach starship).

ANYWAY, was a good talk, but turns out this guy is principally famous round Oshkosh ways for having designed, built, and flown the Facetmobile. He's currently very deep into final work on the X-47 UCAV, but says the Facetmobile 2 is very much on his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

Was checking on my flight for tomorrow when I caught this article

http://www.mynews13.com/content/new...zing_photo.html

I was really racking my brain hard to figure out what angle you'd take that photo at in Brevard before I clicked the link.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Slo-Tek posted:

Dyke Delta:

Good grief, that is one of the weirdest airplanes I've ever seen.

I must find one myself. :stwoon:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

StandardVC10 posted:

Good grief, that is one of the weirdest airplanes I've ever seen.

I must find one myself. :stwoon:

http://www.facetmobile.com/

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

quote:

Stall: No stall: stable mush.
Min. Speed: Less than 30 mph.
:stare:

e:

quote:

Gross Wt.(normal): 620 lb.
Gross Wt. (max): 740 lb.
Maintains Level Flight at Angles of Attack Over 30 Degrees.
:stwoon:

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 26, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Slo-Tek posted:

I attended a talk, more or less at random and by accident given by a fellow named Barnaby Wainfan. .

I saw that at Oshkosh about 3 years ago. Great talk.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That project seems almost tailor made for a kickstarter campaign, have they tried crowdfunding their R&D costs?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I was at Oshkosh today too, I'll have pictures later. I took a flight on the trimotor. The F22 demo flight was pretty neat. BeLite had their Airdock on display too.

Terrible Robot posted:

This is super cool, I wish more GA planes were based on old fighter plane designs.

It's based on an old fighter?

ehnus posted:

The Dyke Delta is... interesting. It's a four place design with one up front and three in back. The whole frame is made out of steel, including the wing ribs.

Lots of airplanes have steel frames. The "weird" stuff, are the wing skins, which are fiberglass, that's laid up on a table flat.. then bent during installation. And the belly of the plane is covered in fabric. And did anyone mention it's designed to be towed on it's landing gear, and the wings are designed to fold over the canopy?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nerobro posted:

It's based on an old fighter?

It's based on several old fighters...and a glider.

Wikipedia, sourcing info from an interview with the designer in Sport Aviation posted:

Designer John Dyke said his inspiration for the aircraft came from Alexander Lippisch's delta designs, specifically the LP-6 glider and later the Convair F-102 Delta Dagger. The double delta layout of the Saab 35 Draken was incorporated into the design. A lifting body fuselage was incorporated after tests.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Tsuru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekyaGl95P24

Glad I got to see this. Stood right next to it when it started up and took off for its display, and when it passed in formation with the Reds for the first time literally everyone on the base stood up and applauded. It was surreal.

Full display here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-9uZjg1Tg
Apparently they received a stern, 'don't do that again' for the takeoff, bit of a moot point all things considered!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That take off made me think of Bud Holland. :catstare:

Probably not as severe as it looked in that film. Probably.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

inkjet_lakes posted:

Apparently they received a stern, 'don't do that again' for the takeoff, bit of a moot point all things considered!

"First flight in 1952, 11 years after the Lancaster ... looks like they came out of different centuries, designed by the same team"

I don't know why I never thought about that, but an extremely cool random fact.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
It's the last year of flying for XH558 so I think they're getting the most out of her!

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Nerobro posted:

Lots of airplanes have steel frames. The "weird" stuff, are the wing skins, which are fiberglass, that's laid up on a table flat.. then bent during installation. And the belly of the plane is covered in fabric. And did anyone mention it's designed to be towed on it's landing gear, and the wings are designed to fold over the canopy?

Sure, but the steel frames in most aircraft are limited to the fuselage, wings are still usually aluminum or wood. The Dyke Delta has steel wing ribs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Slo-Tek posted:

I attended a talk, more or less at random and by accident given by a fellow named Barnaby Wainfan. Dude is a Grumman aerodynamicist, gave a really good talk about how bad airplanes happen. Bad Concept of Operations (like 5/6ths of the Brabazon commission aircraft), extraneous constraints (bad airplanes were built because the spec requred 100' wingspans to fit into existing hangars), getting hung up on a concept to the detriment of function (like the beach starship).

I'd love to hear this guy's opinion on the R101.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

monkeytennis posted:

It's the last year of flying for XH558 so I think they're getting the most out of her!

Bear in mind all this hot dogging is with an aircraft being nursed to the end of it's fatigue life & with a shedload of restrictions on what it can 'do', I imagine a lot of fun was had with Vulcans back in the day - the prototype being barrel-rolled at Farnborough springs to mind.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

inkjet_lakes posted:

Bear in mind all this hot dogging is with an aircraft being nursed to the end of it's fatigue life & with a shedload of restrictions on what it can 'do', I imagine a lot of fun was had with Vulcans back in the day - the prototype being barrel-rolled at Farnborough springs to mind.

I know the footage you're thinking of, it's not the prototype, but the footage is a montage of the 2 prototypes (with true deltas) and the first production (with the ogee delta) from probably '55 or so. It's the production (ogival delta) vulcan that did the barrel roll on take-off.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

V-Series bombers: truly, things only a mother could love.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

so loving future posted:

Pistols at dawn for that slight, you bounder :britain:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

so loving future posted:

You know you said that out loud right?

You should leave, now.

While you still can...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The Victor is really strange but the other two are pretty good looking.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
The Victor is AWESOME, what are you on about?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

StandardVC10 posted:

The Victor is really strange but the other two are pretty good looking.

The Victor is a bit goofy. The Valiant is stuck between WWII and post-WWII. The Vulcan is AWESOME.

e: for the above poster: the Victor has good and bad angles. At its good angles, it looks great. At its bad angles, it looks derpy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Slo-Tek posted:

Dyke Delta:

Oh my god it's adorable :swoon: - I want to see the footage from the go pro on the top of his stab.

inkjet_lakes posted:

I was about to be "what could they have possibly gotten in trouble for on a takeoff of that old bomber??"

Then came the rotation... Then the roll... Then the sideslip :stare:

:golfclap:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pilots get paid extra when they have to land in difficult conditions, right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ddnGzxNZs

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Just got back from a funeral. Took this picture next to the place where we had the service:

I would have walked around to get a shot from a better angle but it was noon thirty in Ala-loving-bama, and I was wearing a dark suit.

I have no earthly idea why it was there, but I'm glad it was.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

So I came across something unusual at the goodwill today and had to pick it up. It's a vast metal model of some sort of flying boat. Pretty large and heavy, and it looks like 1930s vintage. Any ideas as to I.D.? It's probably not a Boeing, that I can divine.

Whatever it is I have a sense it's worth more than I paid for it that's for sure.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like it might be based on the Sea Ranger, maybe Sunderland? It looks pretty drat generic.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I found one on ebay but they don't know what it is either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Metal-Airplane-Seaplane-Sculpture-Military-Model-4-Propeller-Amphibious-/321816107283

I was thinking it might be off one of those 1940s airplane ashtrays (I have one with a DC-3 on top), but the ebay one just has a simple swoopy stand.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Looks like it might be based on the Sea Ranger, maybe Sunderland? It looks pretty drat generic.

It's crystallized Art Deco!

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Just got back from a funeral. Took this picture next to the place where we had the service:

I would have walked around to get a shot from a better angle but it was noon thirty in Ala-loving-bama, and I was wearing a dark suit.

That is probably the most :black101: tombstone, if that's what is. How close were you to Fort Rucker maybe?

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

rocket_350 posted:

I found one on ebay but they don't know what it is either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Metal-Airplane-Seaplane-Sculpture-Military-Model-4-Propeller-Amphibious-/321816107283

I was thinking it might be off one of those 1940s airplane ashtrays (I have one with a DC-3 on top), but the ebay one just has a simple swoopy stand.

Well heck that's it there. Didn't even know eBay would be viable for it. what a strange thing this is.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Butt Reactor posted:

That is probably the most :black101: tombstone, if that's what is. How close were you to Fort Rucker maybe?

Huh, hadn't thought of that. This was in Dothan, a spot that google tells me is 25 miles away from Rucker.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 27, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So speaking of Airshows, Lethbridge had one.

Still trying to find some good pics, but

My son is now pretty pro airforce for some reason

also...

(click for large-ish. Sorry my camera is a Nikon D50 and I have a really crappy and slow long lense)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
C-17: the life-vest-lumbar-support special.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

DAV Chapter 87/Sunset Memorial Park in Dothan, AL:

http://aerialvisuals.ca/LocationDossier.php?Serial=1532

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Terrible Robot posted:

It's based on several old fighters...and a glider.

That's not how I'd interpret that paragraph. If you want to go that far with inspiration, nothing is it's own airplane anymore. There's so much that's unique about the Dyke Delta (including it not being a delta...) it's hard to put it in with really anything else.

It is a really pretty plane in person. Though.. this year it wasn't as clean as the last time I saw it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

DAV Chapter 87/Sunset Memorial Park in Dothan, AL:

http://aerialvisuals.ca/LocationDossier.php?Serial=1532

Well there we go. That is indeed the place. :haw:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 27, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's their veterans' section. They also have some cannon (they claim Civil War era, but who the gently caress doesn't) they'll fire for funerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
The Blue Angels have made their annual arrival :toot:

(from yesterday - the city got all photogenic for them)