Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bite Force gonna win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

amazing driving by Bite Force. He should win

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wedgebots :argh:

Lol cripple fight

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
:suspense:
A battery burnout

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That was done awesome driving on bite forces part

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Leave it to a wedgebot to turn the final championship fight into a shoving match :v:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Bite Force got this.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kloaked00 posted:

Well, there's Tombstone's weakness - defense wedges

Tombstone's weakness is any bot that can take a handful of hits as was seen in the last 3 fights for Tombstone where a long fight Tombstone tears itself apart.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

howe_sam posted:

amazing driving by Bite Force. He should win

I'm sure they will. Really, Bite Force would have been wrecked if Tombstone had gotten a hit on the side, making sure it always hit the front and keeping it in positions where it couldn't spin as much as possible took some fancy driving.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

They changed the rules to mandate powered weapons and prevent wedgebots, but the winner is gonna be a wedge

Lol

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
So the final match will come down to the judges' decision...

Yeah Bite Force's driving was far superior and he crippled Tombstone's weapon, it's pretty much no contest.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DOOP posted:

They changed the rules to mandate powered weapons and prevent wedgebots, but the winner is gonna be a wedge

Lol

They cheesed that rule so hard it's almost hilarious.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

*APPLAUSE SIGN LIGHTS UP*

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Yeah, no contest and good win for Bite Force.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

booooooooooooooo

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Congrats, Bite Force. :toot:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Right driver won

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DOOP posted:

Lol

No no, you see they still had the flipping arm thing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope next season has more bots and is longer.

This show got good ratings, right? It's likely to be renewed, isn't it?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pakled posted:

Not anymore!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pakled posted:

Are there even ratings this time of year?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, there are always ratings (it's just that the "important" ones for the networks are in February and November, aka the 'sweeps') and ratings tend to not normally matter in the long run for summer shows. (Unless the show just absolutely tanks) Ratings seem to have trended downwards through the airing of the show but hit the #1 demographic that people advertisers want (ages 18-49) and having that is a good thing. Did that get the attention of the people that sell shows? Absolutely. Is it a lock for renewal because of that? Absolutely not.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Xelkelvos posted:

There's always ratings. You never know what summer series will become the next big hit.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Didn't know Bite Force's creator also made Brutality, a Hazard clone/Icewave minus the Ice. Actually won a 2009 Battlebots tournament, but also had many of the same weaknesses of those inverted lawnmower bots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3mtJneUUzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHjh3hwClw

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

At the very least, it's probably a lock for a slot on ESPN in the future.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
First episode did like 5 million viewers or some poo poo didnt it?

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
Shaman won the mini-rumble, and nothing will convince me otherwise.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

At the very least, it's probably a lock for a slot on ESPN in the future.

More like ESPN 2 or ESPN 3

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DOOP posted:

Lol

The rules being "you can't make the best kind of robot" is kind of dumb anyway.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Coaaab posted:

Didn't know Bite Force's creator also made Brutality, a Hazard clone/Icewave minus the Ice. Actually won a 2009 Battlebots tournament, but also had many of the same weaknesses of those inverted lawnmower bots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3mtJneUUzY

I dont know if "literally exploding after multiple hits with an extremely dangerous bot" really counts as weakness.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The biggest hit in the finals happened before the fight even started.

Wedgebots are lame and it's stupid that they got away with that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Etalommi posted:

The biggest hit in the finals happened before the fight even started.

Wedgebots are lame and it's stupid that they got away with that.

If they didn't use the arm during the match I'd agree with you. But since they did use their arm to control the early fight, I think they should be ok and wasn't just a cheap way to skirt the rules.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Hopefully it does get renewed. A lot of the bots this season were rushed to be built since they only had like 2 months to prepare. I want to see what teams will come up with in a year's time. Like the successor to the murderbot Son of Whyachi the builders were hinting at.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Out of all the bots to breaks Overhaul's nose, I'm glad it was Nightmare.

It was really lovely to see Bronco miss such a great flip opportunity but seeing Tombstone's guts fly out at the end was cool.

Biteforce really did wedge his last fight even tho he did use the arm when he could so I don't think the team was trying to be sneaky. What really impressed me was when he caught Tombstone's blade before it got the chance to rev up and it started blowing smoke.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
How to Win at Battlebots

1. Build a robot with a wedge.
2. Spend all the money/time/weight you'd spend on weapons on armor, speed and power.
3. Add the tiniest flamethrower for 'active weapon requirements'.
4. Spend time saved from not having weapons to become gud driver.
5. Bore opponents to death.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

LeJackal posted:

How to Win at Battlebots

1. Build a robot with a wedge.
2. Spend all the money/time/weight you'd spend on weapons on armor, speed and power.
3. Add the tiniest flamethrower for 'active weapon requirements'.
4. Spend time saved from not having weapons to become gud driver.
5. Bore opponents to death.

You forgot that you need a self-righting mechanism.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
I question the flamethrowers in the show so far (except maybe the torch on CC) even meeting this requirement for powered weapons

quote:

your bot must have at least one powered weapon that can seriously affect the operation of another BattleBot.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, flamethrowers look cool and all, but unless it's a focused flame being spewed out of a heavily shielded pressurized torch of some kind, it's literally only there for show. Tiny bursts of open flame isn't going to render another bot non-functional.

Shaman took a hit on it's flamethrower from Nightmare last night, but I was disappointed it didn't explode into a million pieces.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TheKnife posted:

I question the flamethrowers in the show so far (except maybe the torch on CC) even meeting this requirement for powered weapons

Well, it's a TV show, so if you make a cool looking wedgebot that spews lots of fire through tiny holes in his wedge they are going to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think the easy solution to wedge and control designs is to make the arena itself more dangerous. It would be cool to watch bots push each other into obstacles that actually did something.

"Oh man he's got him in the pulverizer!"

tink.......tink......tink......

• Locked thread