Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ariong posted:

Really? I didn't have that much trouble with it. Golden Shower was a big help, and the walls of my boss arena kept the Flying Dutchman out.

I got a pirate invasion literally the day I entered hardmode. I had to fight it with easymode weapons only.
(At least I got a cutlass out of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

The Lone Badger posted:

I got a pirate invasion literally the day I entered hardmode. I had to fight it with easymode weapons only.
(At least I got a cutlass out of it)

That was me exactly. The cutlass was also Legendary, so it carried me through all of Hardmode until the Cultist.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Roshambo posted:

Is there an efficient way to get souls of light? I tried making a meteor biome underground in the hallow, but everything but the meteors seemed to drop souls and at a very low rate.

Most things you can force to spawn have been hardcoded to not drop hardmode items (souls, keys, whatever) so your best bet is to just excavate a large area with nooks and crannies around the edges for things to spawn in. Drink a battle potion and place water candles to boost the spawn rate.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 27, 2015

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The secret of the pirate invasion is Yoyo's can go through single block gaps and pirates cannot

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Blind Duke posted:

The secret of the pirate invasion is Yoyo's can go through single block gaps and pirates cannot

this also comes in handy against the martians, especially the saucer

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I just killed Golem and I'm tooling around in my world and I think I enjoyed the game more when I was a random noob trying to survive in normal before I broke the world on my knee after defeating the mechanical bosses.

Is there a better way to purify my world? It is really cost prohibitive to buy green solutions from the Steampunker.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

combine all those fragments from the lizard temple into clay tablets and farm solar eclipses until money is a petty concern

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make sure to have lots of ammo conservation active (potion, ammo box, chloro head, vortex breastplate etc) when you use the clen.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I killed the moonlord

seconds after I died because of stardust dragon, and apparently that meant it did not count because there was no loot or achievement.

Ok, third invasion's the charm. At the very least the looooong stardust dragon + solar flail combo made mincemeat of the lunar cultist.

By the way, the pillars do switch order, they are currently all in the worst possible places they could be in. Ugh. Even with all the celestial weapons and poo poo this is going to be kind of annoying. (It's very annoying because the celestial banners don't mean poo poo this way unless you are good at placing them while under celestial attack, or just place one for each type in all locations...)

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 27, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey I finally managed to get my snowman pet! How long did it take to acquire this useless cosmetic?

I've lost control of my life.

most of that was spent afk but still

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

I killed the moonlord

seconds after I died because of stardust dragon, and apparently that meant it did not count because there was no loot or achievement.

Ok, third invasion's the charm. At the very least the looooong stardust dragon + solar flail combo made mincemeat of the lunar cultist.

By the way, the pillars do switch order, they are currently all in the worst possible places they could be in. Ugh. Even with all the celestial weapons and poo poo this is going to be kind of annoying. (It's very annoying because the celestial banners don't mean poo poo this way unless you are good at placing them while under celestial attack, or just place one for each type in all locations...)

You died... because of stardust dragon? Help me out here.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So the second magic mirror I found finally let me figure out that no, I wasn't absentmindedly storing stuff I meant to keep on me.

The "Quick stack to nearby chests" button will throw non stackable items into chests that have one in them. Realized the 4th time I was wondering where my Magic Mirror went, and then when I got back home finding both of them in the same chest

"Huh, I could have sworn I brought this with me. oh well." *Takes MM, deposites loot with stack to nearby button. Leaves without realizing that shoved his MM in a chest."

That button is totally worth that slight oops though, and knowing what is going on ahead of time will make dealing with it that much easier.

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey I finally managed to get my snowman pet! How long did it take to acquire this useless cosmetic?

:allears: You were born to play this game.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

hahahahaha

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Sjonnar posted:

You died... because of stardust dragon? Help me out here.

sorry, I died but fraction of a second afterwards the moon lord died - though to me it looked like we were dying simulataneously - because the stardust dragon was out and finished ml off

just kinda peeved that it didn't count. i want broken moon lord weapons too.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
You can alt click on items in your inventory and it can help you to keep them in your stash and you quick keep all of them.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Section Z posted:

So the second magic mirror I found finally let me figure out that no, I wasn't absentmindedly storing stuff I meant to keep on me.

The "Quick stack to nearby chests" button will throw non stackable items into chests that have one in them. Realized the 4th time I was wondering where my Magic Mirror went, and then when I got back home finding both of them in the same chest

"Huh, I could have sworn I brought this with me. oh well." *Takes MM, deposites loot with stack to nearby button. Leaves without realizing that shoved his MM in a chest."

That button is totally worth that slight oops though, and knowing what is going on ahead of time will make dealing with it that much easier.

Quick stack has been driving me mad too - I don't even realise that another player on my server has stashed something somewhere and things disappear. I went back to the dungeon for 3 replacement water candles until I found the stack of them in a well-camoflauged chest.

Alt-clicking on items lets you mark them as a favorite and exclude them from quick stack.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

jerichojx posted:

You can alt click on items in your inventory and it can help you to keep them in your stash and you quick keep all of them.

Item fave is one of those "I knew it was there but keep forgetting about it :downs:" things that would easily sort that out.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Loaded up my old world, and it seems I haven't played this since things only stacked to 250. Made up a fresh character and world. Then another one. That was, like, three days ago, I think. Maybe four?

Send help.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Davoren posted:

Loaded up my old world, and it seems I haven't played this since things only stacked to 250. Made up a fresh character and world. Then another one. That was, like, three days ago, I think. Maybe four?

Send help.

What'cha need help with? If it's just general stuff I'd be more than willing to help.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/EdwardTank/

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I'm in a similar boat. I haven't played since before hardmode was added, and now they have the expert thing. I'm at the point where I could trigger hardmode, but I'm wondering if I'd be missing out on anything by just taking my character and gear and starting hardmode from an expert world? Not having your world on expert seems to lock you out of a lot of stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

I'm in a similar boat. I haven't played since before hardmode was added, and now they have the expert thing. I'm at the point where I could trigger hardmode, but I'm wondering if I'd be missing out on anything by just taking my character and gear and starting hardmode from an expert world? Not having your world on expert seems to lock you out of a lot of stuff.
The only thing exclusive to expert is the special boss drops. Expert hardmode would be brutal for somebody who's never been in hardmode before.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

The only thing exclusive to expert is the special boss drops. Expert hardmode would be brutal for somebody who's never been in hardmode before.

This. At most beat the poo poo out of normal mode bosses, or take advantage of the fact Nyphs are 100% drop for metal detectors instead of 50% (likely the main reason I'd make an expert world myself, but I've yet to see a Nymph in my main world because 90% of my underground and cavern layer explorations have been on the jungle.).

EDIT: oh my gently caress, Medusa. My sealed off marble Biome is two screenlengths down to the left. You are coming in from the bottom right of my setting up a ghetto arena for underground bee fights via larvae instead of abeeminations. You cheating snake haired bitch :argh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 27, 2015

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Section Z posted:

This. At most beat the poo poo out of normal mode bosses, or take advantage of the fact Nyphs are 100% drop for metal detectors instead of 50% (likely the main reason I'd make an expert world myself, but I've yet to see a Nymph in my main world because 90% of my underground and cavern layer explorations have been on the jungle.).

Is that a valuable drop? I have like three of those things in a chest somewhere. They seem worthless. "Oh hey there's gold somewhere near you" is not exactly valuable information with no context.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Nymphs are broke yo. I only saw one month and that was only because I went looking

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

YOURFRIEND posted:

Is that a valuable drop? I have like three of those things in a chest somewhere. They seem worthless. "Oh hey there's gold somewhere near you" is not exactly valuable information with no context.

You need it to make the cell phone. I've killed 3 nymphs and haven't seen it yet, and now I can't find the fuckers anymore!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

YOURFRIEND posted:

Use it in conjunction with those spelunker glowsticks and it becomes amazing, especially when you're hunting for hardmode ores.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

YOURFRIEND posted:

It's an ingredient of the cellphone. All those information accessories (some of which are pretty handy (the watch at the very least)) now take up zero inventory space, since you're obviously not going to leave your magic mirror at home. I had everything except for any of the three fishing ones before I went ahead and used an inventory editor. I still haven't gotten any of those three from quests. My angler is extremely stingy.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Qylvaran posted:

It's an ingredient of the cellphone. All those information accessories (some of which are pretty handy (the watch at the very least)) now take up zero inventory space, since you're obviously not going to leave your magic mirror at home. I had everything except for any of the three fishing ones before I went ahead and used an inventory editor. I still haven't gotten any of those three from quests. My angler is extremely stingy.

Yeah, the last thing I needed for cellphone was a weather radio. After like 60 or so quests, he finally gave me one. And then another one. And another, like five times in a row. Now I'm in hardmode, looking for an infinite bucket and an endless sponge, but I keep getting weather radios.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
OH MY loving GOD MEDUSA, NOT NOW :argh: :argh: :argh:

I overkill sealed the entire marble biome nearby in dirt. I sealed all below entrances to my underground fight room with the queen bee by shooting the larva.

A medusa loving spawned inside the boss arena while the bottom of it was out of sight for 4 whole seconds and stoned me mid boss fight. Jesus gently caress. The worst thing about medusas to me isn't that they stone you, it's that the keep going out of their way to spawn from impossible sealed off directions in the middle of the jungle while I'm in the middle of something.

The marble biome is well below and to the left. But nope just gonna spawn past the sealed entrances in the middle of a bossfight :sigh:

EDIT: Oh god I just realized, one of the other beehives is directly under the marble Biome. I may just bomb the marble biome out of existence out of spite at this point and rebuild it if I want to grind for medusa heads (except I've literally never seen the medusa when inside the marble bimoe, out of it).

Like, if it's spawning for a bee fight, I'd imagine it would spawn in the middle of the Plantera fight too.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 27, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish there was a way to make trees grow faster, or at least tell if they are in a valid growth spot. I want to build a room but first I have to grow some trees in it, but two of them stubbornly refuse too grow. I see no reason why they shouldn't grow since they meet all the requirements but I've been waiting on them for ages.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Section Z posted:

OH MY loving GOD MEDUSA, NOT NOW :argh: :argh: :argh:

I overkill sealed the entire marble biome nearby in dirt. I sealed all below entrances to my underground fight room with the queen bee by shooting the larva.

A medusa loving spawned inside the boss arena while the bottom of it was out of sight for 4 whole seconds and stoned me mid boss fight. Jesus gently caress. The worst thing about medusas to me isn't that they stone you, it's that the keep going out of their way to spawn from impossible sealed off directions in the middle of the jungle while I'm in the middle of something.

The marble biome is well below and to the left. But nope just gonna spawn past the sealed entrances in the middle of a bossfight :sigh:

EDIT: Oh god I just realized, one of the other beehives is directly under the marble Biome. I may just bomb the marble biome out of existence out of spite at this point and rebuild it if I want to grind for medusa heads (except I've literally never seen the medusa when inside the marble bimoe, out of it).

Like, if it's spawning for a bee fight, I'd imagine it would spawn in the middle of the Plantera fight too.

Just remove all the marble. But seriously, this mob should not be in the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bluemillion posted:

Just remove all the marble. But seriously, this mob should not be in the game.

The two medusas were the hardest part of the Bee fight, admittedly. Even with my minimalist prep. Wheee I got a sword that shoots bees :buddy:

Honestly, my biggest issue with the Medusa is it's seemingly bullshit spawning. "Oh that's cute you sealed off your little on the spot boss arena instead of just using a summon item on the surface? gently caress you, we're gonna spawn Medusa inside it when the bottom is out of view for five whole seconds. Twice."

like, I'd understand if the marble biome was so much as in view. But it's multiple screenlenghts away below and to the side, sealed off itself, and then I multi sealed off entryways from below. But no, gonna spawn inside your arena just to spite you. You don't worry about medusa because it can stone you. You worry about medusa because it will pop up wherever the gently caress it wants, then stone you while saying to yourself "But this area is literally inaccesible from the marble biooome *Wile E Coyote crash*"

I have literally never seen a Medusa inside the marble biomes. I spent 10 minutes in one fighting fancy roman skeletons and slimes and no medusa. All my medusa just pop up in gently caress you locations in the jungle. I've taken a break due to thunderstorms so why risk progress. But yeah, totally gonna go nuts with dynamite as my next goal.

I tried to play fair, it would have been so much faster and easier to just use an abeemination and fight on the surface. But no, you gotta be like this.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What's the easiest way to get these biome keys post hard mode? Build a crimson/jungle biome and battle potion it up? How many blocks do I need to make an area a biome?

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

:allears: :allears: :allears:

This is amazing.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Wall of Flesh is giving me a hell of a time on this character for no reason. I've got full Molten armour, a Phoenix Blaster and a Boomstick, but I just can't seem to out DPS the bastard. I think I need to tear down my hellbridge and build a better one :negative: Yay

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the phoenix blaster loaded with meteor shot? Have you drunk enough potions?

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does the liquid duplication stuff still work like the wiki says? I noticed a lot of the guides and videos are from like 2011. I'm just getting into wiring and all that jazz, and I need some lava for some projects...

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Is soloing expert Lunar Event and Moon Lord as melee reasonably possible? The expert Pillars are destroying me. Maybe it's time to go with another build, but if it's at all possible I'd like to finish the whole thing as melee.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the phoenix blaster loaded with meteor shot? Have you drunk enough potions?

I get loaded on pots every time but I didn't even think of meteor shot. Always get all worried about using special ammo and wasting it but this is pretty much what it's made for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Goddamn, expert mode is no joke. I died five times to loving skeletron before killing him, this was with molten gear and a premade arena. All of the bosses gain new attacks that make them more difficult and every boss enters a "rage mode" upon getting low enough health that makes them do loads of damage and be hard to hit. I ended up farming queen bee and taking down the WoF with a combination of a really loving long bridge, beenades, the bee bow, and the Phoenix blaster.

The drops are great though. Shield of Cthulu is amazing for bosses and general mobility. Bone glove is a good throwing weapon useful up to the WoF. Brain of Confusion is meh. Bee pack is good for your bee gear that you should be using because it's good damage and bzzzz. Plus the general increase in drop rates means you get good gear faster.

Now I'm just wondering what expert hardmode will be like, I hope I'm prepared.