Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wow, a map where Belgium is objectively the best country.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, just like they record what words are used. It's both used for you specifically but also for other people using your chosen autocorrect language.

It's more the part where they have access to this data that leaves me worried.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I find it weird that the map omits Japan, considering that's where emojis originated in the first place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boiled Water posted:

Dude, that's the entire purpose of a massively predictive keyboard: they have to have access to other people or it simply wouldn't work well.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Wow, a map where Belgium is objectively the best country.

Even a broken clock ...

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

majormonotone posted:

Here's a dumb map

"Some people speak German in Switzerland and Belgium, let's colour it completely German!"

Also have this: Greater Belgium!

For those unsure about what this map is trying to say:

- Top-left: the old Duchy of Flanders with the bits regained taken away by the French in the late 18th century. Curiously doesn't include the bit of Flanders up north that is currently part of Zeeland.
- Bottom-left: Duchy of Hainaut along with territories that originally belonged to the Seventeen Provinces when they seceded from the Spanish Empire.
- Centre: Namur
- Bottom-right: the entirety of Luxembourg, both the current Belgian province of that name as well as the independent Grand Duchy.
- Center-right: Liège
- Top-right: Limburg, including the bit of Dutch Limburg that originally seceded from the Netherlands along with the rest of Belgium in 1830, but wasn't included in the 1839 Treaty of London.
- Top-centre: all of the former Duchy of Brabant.
- Centre-centre: Brussels

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Greater Belgium: actually not much bigger than regular Belgium.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Man if only the Burgundian dukes had been able to cobble together a working Lotharingia.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Greater Belgium: actually not much bigger than regular Belgium.

It would include a couple of million people more. Nothing to sneeze at for a nation with already 11 million people in it.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

cheerfullydrab posted:

Man if only the Burgundian dukes had been able to cobble together a working Lotharingia.

On that note, feudalism.png:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

the jizz taxi posted:

"Some people speak German in Switzerland and Belgium, let's colour it completely German!"

Also have this: Greater Belgium!

For those unsure about what this map is trying to say:

- Top-left: the old Duchy of Flanders with the bits regained taken away by the French in the late 18th century. Curiously doesn't include the bit of Flanders up north that is currently part of Zeeland.
- Bottom-left: Duchy of Hainaut along with territories that originally belonged to the Seventeen Provinces when they seceded from the Spanish Empire.
- Centre: Namur
- Bottom-right: the entirety of Luxembourg, both the current Belgian province of that name as well as the independent Grand Duchy.
- Center-right: Liège
- Top-right: Limburg, including the bit of Dutch Limburg that originally seceded from the Netherlands along with the rest of Belgium in 1830, but wasn't included in the 1839 Treaty of London.
- Top-centre: all of the former Duchy of Brabant.
- Centre-centre: Brussels

Don't forget Door County, Wisconsin.

http://www.doorcounty.com/belgian-settlement-tours

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Boiled Water posted:

Trading privacy for convenience is the question of our time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Falukorv posted:

Not really accurate for Sweden anymore, they'rve spread north since that distribuition map was made.

Boars should take over Sweden, for they are superior to the current inhabitants.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lowtechs posted:

Hey thank you Pope Francis.

He mingled with slumdog people in Brazil, kissed lepers, met the Roma leaders; but it's up to the Americans to pretend that there are no underprivileged people, obviously.

Hopefully he'll follow his usual pattern of abandoning planned routes to visit the poorest parts of the visited region.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

steinrokkan posted:

He mingled with slumdog people in Brazil, kissed lepers, met the Roma leaders; but it's up to the Americans to pretend that there are no underprivileged people, obviously.

Hopefully he'll follow his usual pattern of abandoning planned routes to visit the poorest parts of the visited region.

As a matter of fact a lot of the closed off areas there are pretty poor or minority heavy, which is why its funny that people are acting like it's gonna exclude all the minorities

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nintendo Kid posted:

As a matter of fact a lot of the closed off areas there are pretty poor or minority heavy, which is why its funny that people are acting like it's gonna exclude all the minorities

I believe Philly has the highest poverty rate of any big city in the U.S.

EDIT: Yep. http://articles.philly.com/2014-09-26/news/54322611_1_deep-poverty-poverty-line-south-philadelphia

2nd EDIT: Since we're in the map thread...

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 27, 2015

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I believe Philly has the highest poverty rate of any big city in the U.S.

EDIT: Yep. http://articles.philly.com/2014-09-26/news/54322611_1_deep-poverty-poverty-line-south-philadelphia

2nd EDIT: Since we're in the map thread...

Because making $14K per year versus $50K per year will still put you in about the same economic class. :wtc:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Powered Descent posted:

Because making $14K per year versus $50K per year will still put you in about the same economic class. :wtc:

I just post the maps, bud. It was an interactive map I screenshoted. The actual page let's you click on the zip codes for more data. Here: http://www.philly.com/philly/infographics/medianincome.html

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 27, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I just post the maps, bud. Really nice view of white flight, though.

It's not though, Philadelphia is already in full-scale reverse white flight with many of the inner ring suburbs being minority-majority or nearly so. And many of the darker red towns out there are too far out to be suburbs really, they're where people with real money have 10 acre estates instead of half acre McMansions.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kainser posted:

Canada knows what's up.

I love chocolate ice cream.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bestselling car brands in Europe, 2013.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Saw this pic on facebook. Try and help me figure out what it means. Original Caption:

A threat to who...?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ferroque posted:

Saw this pic on facebook. Try and help me figure out what it means. Original Caption:

A threat to who...?

It appears to be airbases in range of Iran.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The stars are American bases around Iran, though if I remember right a lot of those aren't actually bases. The caption is asking how Iran is threatening the US if the US is surrounding Iran with its military.

E: To expand if this is the same image I remember, it's disingenuous because some of the stars aren't bases at all, and the majority of them are military bases of the country they're in. But since the country is a US ally, the US military has access rights to the base under certain circumstances. It's not like there's a bunch of B-52s parked there permanently though.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 28, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pakled posted:

Huh - what happened to Opel?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Ferroque posted:

A threat to who...?

The blue countries are the ones Obama is soft on, despite the clear fact that his policies are leading Israel into the ovens.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The stars are American bases around Iran, though if I remember right a lot of those aren't actually bases. The caption is asking how Iran is threatening the US if the US is surrounding Iran with its military.

E: To expand if this is the same image I remember, it's disingenuous because some of the stars aren't bases at all, and the majority of them are military bases of the country they're in. But since the country is a US ally, the US military has access rights to the base under certain circumstances. It's not like there's a bunch of B-52s parked there permanently though.

Yes but what do the colors mean.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ferroque posted:

A threat to who...?

Iran is a threat to all of our military bases. Just look at how many of them are close to Iran's borders. How dare they think to so carelessly spread their country so close to our men and women in uniform!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ferroque posted:

Yes but what do the colors mean.

Red American allies, blue "bad guys", purple "who gives a gently caress"

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Pakled posted:

Yet another proof the Uk is the 51st state.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Peanut President posted:

Red American allies, blue "bad guys", purple "who gives a gently caress"

I think the point of the map is that the red are the bad guys. It's evocative of (and possibly inspired by) this image which circulates a lot among pro-Russian circles.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 28, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Russia would be better off if they accepted they're never going to be a superpower again, but Egomaniac Putin don't want it that way.

boo hoo, military bases. do they believe America is going to invade any day now?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 28, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Yet another proof the Uk is the 51st state.
None of the Ford cars in the UK are ones that Ford US have ever heard of. You're not going to see more than a couple Ford F-Series there/

Kurtofan posted:

Russia would be better off if they accepted they're never going to be a superpower again, but Egomaniac Putin don't want it that way.
Russia would be better off if they took back everything east of Hessen and made Hollande cry like a baby while Merkel killed herself in her underground bunker.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Huh - what happened to Opel?

Compared to Skoda Opel cars are often more expensive spec for spec and heavier, so engine of comparable power in Astra and Octavia make Octavia 1-2 seconds faster 0 to 100 km/h. Opel cocpit is also pretty dated compared to European rivals. Also higher tier Opel cars are either fugly by European standard (Antara), horribly unreliable and cramped (Insignia) or expensive for what they offer (Zafira). Astra and Corsa are ok, they just need a cocpit that doesn't look so dated. I've got a soft spot for Opel, since it was the first car I've owned and I've driven one as a company car for a couple of years, so I wish them all the best. Yet if it were my money... I'd buy Kia, gently caress Skoda.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Guavanaut posted:

Russia would be better off if they took back everything east of Hessen and made Hollande cry like a baby while Merkel killed herself in her underground bunker.

Germany would be better off if they took back East Prussia but I don't see that happening. nor would it be good for the people that live there.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Germany would be better off if they took back East Prussia but I don't see that happening. nor would it be good for the people that live there.

Germany would probably be better off had they given ancient Polabian Slav lands to Poland...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

True, but Putin could stand to at least rattle sabers a bit more and remind them, while the EU are busy funneling money to neo-nazi groups in Ukraine. They'd back off sharpish.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
while russia is funneling money to european neo-nazis.

moving on from the :ussr:

(not actually named Kevin but he played "Kevin Malone" on "The Office")

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Kurtofan posted:

boo hoo, military bases. do they believe America is going to invade any day now?

No, but they believe America will stop them from invading other countries which is just as bad.