Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Welp at least we'll get to be smug about having mostly-resin armies, right?

Edit: can't start a page like this. Here have a mostly-finished dreadnought.

BirdieBedtime fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

Yeeeeah I hate to say it but I think I agree.

First they came for the fantasy players, and I did not speak out.

Age of Horus.

Summon moola. The time is now.

The one character sprue looks like a monopose DV-style character but the rest look like generic marine squad stuff to build the line on. Maybe this isn't just a one off splash.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
It's very possible that GW is merely testing the waters with MkIV Tactical Squad and Master of the Chapter kits, with no intention of putting out new rules or supplanting FW in the near future. But those sprues look real to me. Seriously put, the best thing for GW to do would be release 30k plastics and sell FW in stores without actually touching the 30k books at all. Which means it probably won't happen.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
MkIV is my favourite space marine armor. I may have to pick this up, but first I'll need to see a price. Also some verification that it's real, I guess. Looks legitimate, though.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Got bored today so I decided to do a regimental photo shoot.
Prepare for a photodump of space barbies.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those Goblin Green bases :allears: the basing and mix of regiments reminds me of the IG army they show in the 3rd ed rulebook, and it does my heart good.

Haven't done a battle report in a long time. This isn't going to be a super detailed report of the battle itself, more a pic dump with some text. Pictures were taken by my buddy and that day's opponent Dylan, and you can check out more of his stuff here: http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

Dylan had recently finished an amazing table using Secret Weapon's Tablescapes tiles, plus plenty of GW and scratch built terrain. While some of the terrain is still WIP, we decided to break the table in the proper way - with a huge game! We had it set up with five objectives, one at the center of each quarter and one at the very center. They were all worth 1 point per turn, plus one point at the very end of the game. The center objective would grant 3 at the end.

My forces were made up of:
A Militarum Tempestus Ground Assault Formation, a platoon of IG, a Shadowsword, and a Knight Errant, on loan from Dylan and painted in a sick Warp hunters scheme:

He had:
A Killbursta, Stompa, Battlewagon full of Flash Gitz, Battlewagon full of MANz, and trukks with boyz:

Deployment looked something like this:

I had first turn and was prepared to open up on the Orks, but they stole the initiative! The Orks rushed up and caused a few hull points here and there, but didn't blow anything up.

On my go I reshuffled some units around:

This also involved surging my stormtroopers out to try and burst the killbursta:

They put a few hullpoints down on it with their meltas, and one with a krak grenade!

The Shadowsword takes aim at the Stompa...

Target sighted! It hits and causes a few hullpoints of damage.

The Orks retaliated, blowing up my Lord Commissar's ride and killing a few Stormies in the process. They later went on to hold a home objective while the Commissar joined a blob:

The Killbursta also made short work of the lead Stormtrooper squad, leaving only the sergeant surviving. The Stompa used its supa-gatler and mulched one of the blobs as it advanced towards the Shadowsword:

The MANz plus their warboss drove up and charged the Knight!

I totally flubbed almost all of my dice rolls, killed one Nob, and the robot took another two out when the Warboss exploded it that round.

On my go, the Stormtrooper command squad and plasma squad disembarked from their vehicles and made short work of the Warboss and his retinue:

The surviving sergeant from the lead Stormtrooper squad got up close and personal with the Killbursta, ripping hullpoint after hullpoint off it with his power fist:

While the Shadowsword put more fire into the Stompa, it was the autocannon teams that were really doing the damage, putting a hullpoint or two down every turn!

The MANz' ride kept deffrolling around, not doing a whole lot:

The Stompa waded past the infantry blob, killing all but the last three men since it couldn't get an angle on them. These three dudes included a meltagun, which went on to blow up the Flash Gitz' battlewagon in one shot! He was promptly murdered by the Gitz for his troubles. The Stompa got to grips with the Shadowsword, destroying it with its giant chainsword before being taken out in turn by a deluge of missiles and autocannon shots from the Tauroxes. The Gitz engaged in a firefight with the stronger of the two blobs, which had been pared down significantly:

The Gitz were soon blown up by the Master of Ordnance with an Ignores Cover order thrown down by Company Command. This was pretty pivotal, as without the Gitz, Stompa, or MANz the Orks were pretty defanged. The next few turns involved the surviving Stormtroopers jumping back in their trucks and chasing down the Ork survivors. At game's end there were a couple Orks huddled up in a graveyard while the remaining Valhallans held four of the five objectives. Even with the points accrued turn by turn by the Orks, the Valhallans were able to take the day!

All in all, it was a really fun game and a pretty balanced scenario. Even with super heavies, it was a pretty close game up until right near the end when things started swinging in favor of the Valhallans. It was super fun to break out the big toys and play on a fresh new table! Maybe in the future I'll get around to doing another crazy in-depth battle report.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Nice game! Those are some really nice models. The knight paint job is stellar.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

a Stormraven vaporizing another vehicle for the first time ever

That's just his Stormaravens that never do poo poo.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
So... hastings just posted on warseer.

"Also I think when the first releases of your new "game" are pretty much exactly the same model just armed slightly differently and released at a slow pace then any interest will diminish quickly. I think the problem is that many people thought GW were going to at least provide them with an alternative to WFB, what they've provided is beyond basic, and as such I think has alienated their existing customer base, and as we all know GW does no marketing especially as WD or whatever it's called this week is only in GW stores then how do they expect anyone that isn't already a GW customer to see the new "game"?? I think this is without doubt the most poorly executed plan GW have had to day, even worse than finescat! And I'm lead to believe 40k isn't safe either as I'm told that within the next 2 years codex will go the same way as the WFB army book, so I'm going to leap to the conclusion that it means 40k will change in a similar manner to what WFB did."

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

So this is apparently a thing? Unsure if its legit or not.
Oh. Ok. :shepspends:

Too bad it looks like it's only MkIV which doesn't do much for me, but this would give people an easier entry point to 30k. If it was MkII or MkIII I'd be all over this as I'd like to make a Dark Angels legion army at some point. That said, I, like many of the rest of you, hope that FW is mostly left to their own devices when it comes to the actual rules and those sweet, sweet books. Assuming it's real, of course, though I see no reason why someone would fake sprues like these. Could they be leaked mock-ups? Does GW even do those?

ToyotaThong posted:

Got bored today so I decided to do a regimental photo shoot.
Yessssss :getin:
These rule. Look at all those models.

DJ Dizzy posted:

"Also I think when the first releases of your new "game" are pretty much exactly the same model just armed slightly differently and released at a slow pace then any interest will diminish quickly. I think the problem is that many people thought GW were going to at least provide them with an alternative to WFB, what they've provided is beyond basic, and as such I think has alienated their existing customer base, and as we all know GW does no marketing especially as WD or whatever it's called this week is only in GW stores then how do they expect anyone that isn't already a GW customer to see the new "game"?? I think this is without doubt the most poorly executed plan GW have had to day, even worse than finescat! And I'm lead to believe 40k isn't safe either as I'm told that within the next 2 years codex will go the same way as the WFB army book, so I'm going to leap to the conclusion that it means 40k will change in a similar manner to what WFB did."
:suicide:

Edit: This post is full of roiling emotions.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 27, 2015

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

Who is Hastings?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Vondizimo posted:

30k is doomed if GW prime have taken an interest. That'll teach FW for being a success. I want to be wrong.

Pretty much this. Unfortunately GW losing my interest in 30k is pretty toothless since GW wasn't selling me any NiB models anyway and I'll probably still buy the 30k Thousand Sons book whenever it finally comes out because I'll have waited like five years for it at that point :suicide:

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Cool story bro.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Here, as you're all leeching those pictures from Warseer, let me re-up them on an actual host for you.

Hopefully AoS will be such a catastrophic failiure that even GW wont continue with it for 40k.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Here, as you're all leeching those pictures from Warseer, let me re-up them on an actual host for you.

Hopefully AoS will be such a catastrophic failiure that even GW wont continue with it for 40k.

Looking pretty closely and they look pretty legit. If you are gonna fake something not even in production why would you put "GW" on it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Has there been an official ruling or consensus as to Chaos Knights of a given deity gettinf the bonuses of beinga 'daemon of X?' There was a minor argument at my club yesterday over that, woth one player arguing that Mark of Nurgle is brutally overpriced if all it does is give IWND to a knight, when a loyalist can get the same rule for 30 points as a relic.

There was also some questions as to if it gets the basic daemon 5++ save, bit since it's so easy to just dip a toe into terrain with no issues and get cover it was mostly just handwaved.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'd be pretty surprised if something with 'daemon of x' in its special rules didn't get the 5++

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hixson posted:

Who is Hastings?

Hastings is a rumour superstar with a suprisingly good trackrecord.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Anyone have experience running a map based campaign?

We've got several players, no set armies yet. But our group is debating whether or not to limit armies to CAD only. One guy in particular is very opposed, another seems on the fence, and a few more are in favour of CAD only (since it's supposed to just be a fun excuse to play some games with an over arching story written post-hoc).

Any tips, tricks, experiences?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

zeal posted:

i'd be pretty surprised if something with 'daemon of x' in its special rules didn't get the 5++

The rule "Daemon of X" includes several special rules including Daemon, which itself includes the 5++.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Sir Teabag posted:

We've got several players, no set armies yet. But our group is debating whether or not to limit armies to CAD only. One guy in particular is very opposed, another seems on the fence, and a few more are in favour of CAD only (since it's supposed to just be a fun excuse to play some games with an over arching story written post-hoc).

Yes.

You need to make sure the players armies are sort-of evenly matched. It's not fun being horrendously murdered each and every round. If you are doing army increases, have each player increase the size by the same amount. Territory bonuses should be something like "Can attack up to two spaces away", "Gets a free aegis line" "Gets a +1 to start the game" "Gets a +1 to seize the initiative" "Can add 50 points to his/her army".

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sephyr posted:

Has there been an official ruling or consensus as to Chaos Knights of a given deity gettinf the bonuses of beinga 'daemon of X?' There was a minor argument at my club yesterday over that, woth one player arguing that Mark of Nurgle is brutally overpriced if all it does is give IWND to a knight, when a loyalist can get the same rule for 30 points as a relic.

There was also some questions as to if it gets the basic daemon 5++ save, bit since it's so easy to just dip a toe into terrain with no issues and get cover it was mostly just handwaved.

I emailed FW about it and basically got a non-answer.

Me posted:

In the experimental rules for the Chaos Knight recently posted on your website, both variants are listed as being able to purchase "Daemon Knight of X," with X being whichever chaos god favors them. When the rules are explained at length on the next page, it says at the bottom of each entry "A Daemon Knight of X is counted as being a Daemon aligned with X."

The question here, is this: does this mean that they are a Daemon of Nurgle/Tzeentch/Slaanesh/Khorne as detailed in either Codex: Chaos Space Marines or Codex: Chaos Daemons? And if so, which one should they adhere to, since marked Daemons are different between the two? If not, is it simply for clarity in regards to weapons and abilities that affect a Daemon of a particular chaos god?

Forgeworld posted:

Hi There,

Hail Citizen of the Emperium!

As a customer service team we are able to offer suggested house rules, thoughts and our own interpretation of rules but are unable to issue official rulings, this can only be done by the company design teams that publish the official rules in either PDF updates or printed and digital publications which will become available in time.

I would say (personally) that you should choose the mark or dedication from the force you are placing it with, if this is a model to part of a daemons force (mainly then use the daemons mark)

I would say this is an awesome opportunity to have a chat with you friends and see what epic house rules you can decide on till the official updates and rulings are released.

I hope this helps.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Zark the Damned posted:

I finished my 'proof of concept' for my Khorne Daemonkin allies / summoned guys to go with da boyz:

Somewhat inspired by BuffChix's Dryad Daemons, I'll be using Savage Orcs painted in fluorescent colours as 'Waaagh Konstrukts' which happen to share the stats of Khorne Daemons. The pictured guy is a Herald, I'm waiting on some of the plastics for use as Bloodletters. I just need to figure out the other units...
That's fantastic - glad I could be at all inspiring! Looking forward to seeing more of your "daemons" alongside their Orky allies.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sir Teabag posted:

Some. Start small so that no player is able to steam-roll territories early on and sew-up the entire campaign for the next few weeks. Have a map of some kind that every player can see, even something drawn on poster board with push pins designating which armies control what territories will do fine. Have strategic bonuses for certain areas but don't make the bonuses game breaking. The most fun I had was with a map campaign where players were allowed to allocate army points, RISK style, to different parts of the map. Things like trains and teleporters allowed resources to be moved more quickly across distant territories.

CAD-only makes sense to me, players have enough things to ponder considering there's a long term strategy to consider. Back in the day, the shop owner I knew got a free Planetary Empires set and just about all of us that attended the store got some free tiles included with an issue of White Dwarf (yeah, GW used to give out stuff to encourage sales, imagine that). I don't know if it's worth $70 USD (give or take) but the map is nice, modular, and has additional features like manufacturing plants:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40-000-Expansion-Planetary-Empires

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Slimnoid posted:

I emailed FW about it and basically got a non-answer.

I can check with the right person.

(edit) Before I even ask, it states pretty straightforward that it gains the Daemon rule. This would convey a 5+ invuln. What's the argument being made?

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 27, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

(edit) Before I even ask, it states pretty straightforward that it gains the Daemon rule. This would convey a 5+ invuln. What's the argument being made?

Goons are bad at reading?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Oh. Ok. :shepspends:

Too bad it looks like it's only MkIV which doesn't do much for me, but this would give people an easier entry point to 30k. If it was MkII or MkIII I'd be all over this as I'd like to make a Dark Angels legion army at some point. That said, I, like many of the rest of you, hope that FW is mostly left to their own devices when it comes to the actual rules and those sweet, sweet books. Assuming it's real, of course, though I see no reason why someone would fake sprues like these. Could they be leaked mock-ups? Does GW even do those?

Depending on the price it's either a rad as gently caress unit for my Minotaurs or a legit entry into some Alpha Legion. Either way, :shepspends:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Ive been meaning to start up some alpha legion for a while now. Goddamnit GW.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
E: phone posting.

So, has anyone seen Mantic Warpath models used for squats/counts-as space marines?

My LGS is trying to liquidate a bunch of forgefathers stuff and I'm half tempted to go at it from a conversion/painting standpoint.

koreban fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 27, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Vondizimo posted:

30k is doomed if GW prime have taken an interest. That'll teach FW for being a success. I want to be wrong.

Oh what the gently caress, 30k was my last bastion of interest :I

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

koreban posted:

So, has anyone seen Mantic Warpath models used for squats/counts-as space marines?

My LGS is trying to liquidate a bunch of forgefathers stuff and I'm half tempted to go at it from a conversion/painting standpoint.

Mantic are releasing new, much nicer forge father's soon so keep that in mind

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

koreban posted:

If it's the older stuff, then the Iron Ancestor is great for a counts-as dread, it's one of the few old minis not being replaced, and with good reason. The Hailstorm Cannon is likewise already used as a Thunderfire cannon by many. The old Stormrage veterans are the most common, and while they have weapons goofy enough to be 40k, they're a little small and weedy even by dwarf standards - they'd probably make better counts-as storm troopers or guardsmen, same with the Thorgarim and Drakkarim.

I'd get them, especially at a discount, then make them into IG or Marines, whatever you think works - and then in the future you can add the new upcoming Stormrage Veterans as Marines, which are a little taller and bulkier, relegate the older minis to Scout Marines, and use the already released Forge Guard as Terminators. You can already get 6 space dwarf terminators with heavy weapons for $20/£10 without a discount, for example.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ghost Hand posted:

What's the argument being made?

Whether or not they get the Daemon of X rule from their parent codex (Daemon of Khorne, Daemon of Nurgle, etc.) when they purchase any of those upgrades.

If so, it would mean granting them the Daemon rule superfluous, since you'd get it anyway for being a Daemon of X.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Which books should I start with to learn about Horus Heresy's rules? Between the seven different books I can find on Forge World's site (reasonably priced at a billion brit bucks each), I'm kinda confused where to jump off at.

Is it just 40K, but with different army codices in the various HH books?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DrPop posted:

Which books should I start with to learn about Horus Heresy's rules? Between the seven different books I can find on Forge World's site (reasonably priced at a billion brit bucks each), I'm kinda confused where to jump off at.

Is it just 40K, but with different army codices in the various HH books?

Get the two red books--50 GBP for the pair. Unless you want to do Mechanicum or Knight House or Imperial Army/Militia/Solar Auxilia, in which case it gets a little more complicated.

Most of the rules are just 40k, although it differs from 7E in a few subtle but significant ways.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Soulfucker posted:

Where can I find a store that ships urban themed gaming mats within the EU?

frontline gaming has a good mat.

Boon posted:

Can someone with a Space Marine book confirm for me that the Gladius Strike Force is literally every model is ObSec or is it still just the Troops?

Yup. All but the aux formations (his AA stuff)

Boon posted:

In an objective game, how is anyone supposed to fight against a 9 drop pod and 2 Razorback GSF army? They're armor 12 and open-topped (right?) so what the hell are you supposed to do when they just drop on the objectives?

I haven't seen any discussion on this so I'm frankly at a loss. I knew people were upset about the free units, but I haven't seen discussion on the ObSec piece which is, frankly, far more game-breaking than template D-Weapons.

The BC is solid. It folds to scatbikes, is terrible at KP, and has to take so much in taxes that you can't really do anything other then 5 man pod units, razorspam, or a command squad bike rush but honestly I feel having a podded assassin is more important then a bunch of garbage obsec. Yeah 9 obsec pods is crazy but that's not too off from 60 tac marines in pods which is what I did with BA until skyhammer came out.

Sephyr posted:

Toe in doesn't work with vehicles.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Whether or not they get the Daemon of X rule from their parent codex (Daemon of Khorne, Daemon of Nurgle, etc.) when they purchase any of those upgrades.

If so, it would mean granting them the Daemon rule superfluous, since you'd get it anyway for being a Daemon of X.

I think RAI is that while they don't get the rule, they do count as being a Daemon of the appropriate god for the purposes of rival gods hating them. Then again, FW and rules, who the hell knows?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Then again, FW and rules, who the hell knows?

The Narrative. The Narrative knows.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

I think RAI is that while they don't get the rule, they do count as being a Daemon of the appropriate god for the purposes of rival gods hating them. Then again, FW and rules, who the hell knows?

Yes but then you go back to the email I got and it just raises more questions.

If it gets filtered up to the actual rules guys and it gets fixed, great. But I doubt that will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
To be fair the last time this happened (The Moritat that could annihilate an entire unit without rolling because of ambiguous wording) it got fixed asap once GH passed it up.

• Locked thread