Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

So my level 6 pre-patch dream team is dwindling down to just a few members now. Did the highest level dungeons get beefed up or something? They used to be a cake-walk but I find my self having to call the whole thing off sometimes after the first fight. I lost someone and had everyone at about 50% stress and 10-20% health after a loving hallway run-in with 3 maggots.

My level 0-2 team is doing well and has a good thing going, my mid-level pick-up team has been doing ok. But my stable of level 6's is getting picked off every time I try to do the most simple run. It's like they just aren't doing any damage, every other attack is a miss or is blocked, every stun resisted. On the flip side, the enemy seems to crit about 30% of the time. Those loving maggots got criticals on about 90% of their attacks. Is this just really really bad luck and I should stick with it, or am I doing something wrong? It's as if they've never had their equipment upgraded.

The developers of the game don't understand leveling and now actually punish you for leveling up by making the scaling all out of whack like it's loving Elder Scrolls: Oblivion 2 only instead of unnamed bandits wandering roads in full daedric armor and weaponry you get armor plated maggots. Protection on soft insect larvae doesn't make any goddamn sense but the GAME HAS TO BE HARD! i.e. the room for error is actually decreased at higher levels like you're a loving level one mage with 1d4 hit points wandering into a wolf right outside Candlekeep or some poo poo once you've reached max level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AngryBooch posted:

The developers of the game don't understand leveling and now actually punish you for leveling up by making the scaling all out of whack like it's loving Elder Scrolls: Oblivion 2 only instead of unnamed bandits wandering roads in full daedric armor and weaponry you get armor plated maggots. Protection on soft insect larvae doesn't make any goddamn sense but the GAME HAS TO BE HARD! i.e. the room for error is actually decreased at higher levels like you're a loving level one mage with 1d4 hit points wandering into a wolf right outside Candlekeep or some poo poo once you've reached max level.

That raises another question. Do dungeons actually scale or are they locked? Like a level 1 dungeon will be exactly the same if I take a party of level 0's or level 2's, or does to perfectly scale based on the levels in the party? I'd much prefer the former. Start out hard, level 0's die a lot, but as they upgrade the same level 1 dungeon gets a bit easier, you start to be able to reliably beat the dungeon but finally you hit level 3 and now you're starting over again, poo poo got harder. Taking a bunch of level 4's to a level 5 dungeon should be hard, taking a bunch of level 6's to a level 5 dungeon should be easier, like, an actual reward for leveling up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Dungeons only scale by tier, so a higher level and better equipped party will always be a better match for a given mission as long as they're still in the level bracket.

Unfortunately, there's not really much improvement between level 5 and level 6 since your equipment and skills are already maxed by 5. You can curbstomp apprentice missions with fully equipped level 2s, level 4s get a smaller but decent edge on veteran missions, but champion missions will always be a beast no matter how much you level up.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Baronjutter posted:

[...] taking a bunch of level 6's to a level 5 dungeon should be easier, like, an actual reward for leveling up.

Another thing I am a bit frustrated with right now is that you get basically nothing going from rank 5 to 6, other than some small increases in resistances. In fact, in general, you don't get anything by leveling, except the privilege of spending gold to make your heroes stronger.

Also, has anyone else started a new game since this Prot update and found that it just seems harder to make money? I'm like 20 weeks in, and have been spending far too many of my heirlooms on decreasing cost of equipment/training to the point where my trainer caps at rank 2 and my gear at rank 3, and I'm still barely squeaking by, money-wise. I've had to sell some things I'd have rather not sold to finance adventures when I had to flee from a dungeon. It's the delver's equivalent to being paycheck-to-paycheck.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Black Wombat posted:

Also, has anyone else started a new game since this Prot update and found that it just seems harder to make money? I'm like 20 weeks in, and have been spending far too many of my heirlooms on decreasing cost of equipment/training to the point where my trainer caps at rank 2 and my gear at rank 3, and I'm still barely squeaking by, money-wise. I've had to sell some things I'd have rather not sold to finance adventures when I had to flee from a dungeon. It's the delver's equivalent to being paycheck-to-paycheck.
I'm still having success with the ol "send four level 0 adventurers in with no provisions, get as far as you can, bail right before they all die, dismiss all of them after the mission".

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
After having my Occultist heal for 0-2 literally the first five times he used his first level, 0-10 heal Wyrd Reconstruction, I'm really close to bumping the minimum up and balancing that by just making the bleed 100%. Having to hit two rolls on a heal so that you aren't either wasting your turn or actively damaging your team is really loving stupid, it's like having a miss chance on buffs or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Black Wombat posted:

Another thing I am a bit frustrated with right now is that you get basically nothing going from rank 5 to 6, other than some small increases in resistances. In fact, in general, you don't get anything by leveling, except the privilege of spending gold to make your heroes stronger.

I used to run a tidy profit, I was basically post-scarcity for money and village upgrades. Every new level 0 got every skill bought, and at level up I'd buy every upgrade because gently caress trying to remember what skill is what or how "m going to end up using that character. Pre big update I had around 300k in the bank and everything upgraded. After 10 weeks or so playing i'm down to about 100k. I'm not only not making a profit but I'm rapidly loosing my savings.

But my old strategy was to go into every dungeon with like 100 food and make sure everyone was max healed between each fight...

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i still have a champion level hag to do and frankly i'm not sure how i won't lose at least 1 character if the cauldron prot is as high as maggots

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Baronjutter posted:

I used to run a tidy profit, I was basically post-scarcity for money and village upgrades. Every new level 0 got every skill bought, and at level up I'd buy every upgrade because gently caress trying to remember what skill is what or how "m going to end up using that character. Pre big update I had around 300k in the bank and everything upgraded. After 10 weeks or so playing i'm down to about 100k. I'm not only not making a profit but I'm rapidly loosing my savings.

But my old strategy was to go into every dungeon with like 100 food and make sure everyone was max healed between each fight...

change your strategy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Afraid of Audio posted:

change your strategy

Yeah it doesn't work anymore since they can only eat 4 food after each battle. But that just means I run out of HP super fast now, so the new strategy is to die or retreat from dungeons. I'm having no problem with level 1 and 3 dungeons, it's the level 5 dungeons that I'm finishing maybe 25% of the time now :(

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I don't know what to say. I can't think of a non-gimmick party that would have such a hard time that you need to run away so often, unless you're literally not upgrading your town or opening every curio without items or something. I just beat the Sonorous Prophet with Jester/Occultist/Highwayman/MaA, aka Team Don't Attack The Boss For The First Six Turns. To be fair I stacked the Occultist damage debuff, but that means I couldn't heal with anybody either.

Speaking of gimmick teams, I got a Vestal with melee moves and quirks, and I want to try her out. MaA is a really useful Rank 4 dude actually, and I just got a new trinket that gives them more Prot and something else in Rank 4, so that's half a team! Maybe Rank 3 Crusader for heals, so who for Rank 2?

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Something changed with this patch and now having the roster size edited is continuously crashing my game. As soon as I open up the trinket menu and a character at the same time, I get a

Assert Failed:

(s_widget_parameters_pool_size < c_WidgetParameterMaxPoolSize)

GUI_AppendWidget in gui.cpp line 983

Out of widget parameters

Anyone have any idea how to edit this? I'm comfortable editing c++ files, but I'm not sure where or if I even could make edits to it.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

How big did you make your roster? Mine isn't much bigger (caps out at 26 I think). Maybe if it's above 99 or something it causes issues due to the extra digit?

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
It may have something to do with how many bits are allocated to the c_WidgetParameterMaxPoolSize.

When designing a game, you don't program it to account for people loving around with data sizes that are outside the bounds you predetermine. A big one is 256. If you set it beyond 256, or 128, or 64, or 32, it's impossible to know what they hard-coded the executable into without looking at it.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I feel like a dumbshit, it totally caps out at 32 characters. Thanks goons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

AngryBooch posted:

calm down sparky they've hosed up on balance before and it always got better, wait for a balance patch before blowing a gasket

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Today I learned that ghouls can now give you diseases by shouting at you. This is getting ridiculous.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Black Wombat posted:

Today I learned that ghouls can now give you diseases by shouting at you. This is getting ridiculous.

they have bad breats ok?

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Sounds like I bought this game at a bad time. Everything I've played has been after the last patch. I don't know a Darkest Dungeon without corpses and disease. Maybe I should wait and see if they smooth out the difficulty a little.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Flubby posted:

Sounds like I bought this game at a bad time. Everything I've played has been after the last patch. I don't know a Darkest Dungeon without corpses and disease. Maybe I should wait and see if they smooth out the difficulty a little.

Honestly, all things considered, the corpses and diseases aren't too bad - Although diseases popping up all over is starting to get very frustrating. I think that we can expect to see a patch in the near future lowering enemy Prot values a touch, or something similar, but that's about it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

edit: I posting in the wrong thread because I'm a muppet.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 26, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So if the diseases are something of an annoyance at the moment, are people able to manually tweak the numbers to make the disease mechanic less obnoxious? And if so, what sort of numbers are people going with?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So if the diseases are something of an annoyance at the moment, are people able to manually tweak the numbers to make the disease mechanic less obnoxious? And if so, what sort of numbers are people going with?

The easiest thing to do would be to modify the hero files to give them greater disease resistance. You can do a number of other things, like mess with the sanitarium, mess with transmission rates, but this all constitutes a pretty large amount of work.

The hero files are in {Darkest Dungeon Root Dir}\heroes\{hero name}\{hero name}.info.darkest. You will need to modify every hero type.

The line you're looking to change is the very first line in the file. Look for:
code:
resistances: .stun 40% .poison 30% .bleed 30% .disease 30% .move 40% .debuff 30% .death_blow 67% .trap 10%
And then change .disease 30% (or equivalent) to whatever you feel makes sense. Note that different heroes will have different disease resists. The code block above is the Arbalest's. Here's the PD's, to contrast:
code:
resistances: .stun 20% .poison 70% .bleed 20% .disease 50% .move 20% .debuff 50% .death_blow 67% .trap 20%
These changes WILL affect games in progress.

From some lazy testing, +25% disease resist meant I got about half as many diseases.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Coolguye posted:

The easiest thing to do would be to modify the hero files to give them greater disease resistance. You can do a number of other things, like mess with the sanitarium, mess with transmission rates, but this all constitutes a pretty large amount of work.

The hero files are in {Darkest Dungeon Root Dir}\heroes\{hero name}\{hero name}.info.darkest. You will need to modify every hero type.

The line you're looking to change is the very first line in the file. Look for:
code:
resistances: .stun 40% .poison 30% .bleed 30% .disease 30% .move 40% .debuff 30% .death_blow 67% .trap 10%
And then change .disease 30% (or equivalent) to whatever you feel makes sense. Note that different heroes will have different disease resists. The code block above is the Arbalest's. Here's the PD's, to contrast:
code:
resistances: .stun 20% .poison 70% .bleed 20% .disease 50% .move 20% .debuff 50% .death_blow 67% .trap 20%
These changes WILL affect games in progress.

From some lazy testing, +25% disease resist meant I got about half as many diseases.

Nice, dude, thanks a lot for these.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Do the damage up traits actually boost healing moves?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Iretep posted:

Do the damage up traits actually boost healing moves?

Healing seems tied to weapon and attack power.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is not investing on sub level 3 heros still the thing to do? For reference I haven't played this since December.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Considering how important going first is, armor is definitely worth upgrading if you can afford it. Weapons are useful too of course, but only for your damage dealers. Some skills don't scale too great, but stuff like the Vestal heals are nice to have buffed up some for early dungeons. It really just depends on how you play and how much profit you can squeeze out. I'd rather be broke all the time and not lose anyone, and my investment in little dudes may be a big factor in why I never have to run from missions.

Except the Hag. I hosed up and forgot to put the BH melee attack that hits the third slot in so we just flailed for a bit and almost died. I'm tempted to make the Mark bonus damage attack hit the third row if I can edit it just for that fight, it's the one I always have issues with.

On the one hand I love games that are easily editable, but when I feel like I need to because of weird bullshit like not being able to hit around a stationary cauldron I feel like there is definitely room for improvement. Maybe if double-size monsters only counted as one rank size? So the Crusader could hit either of the enemies in that fight, for example.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the difficulty bump. I haven't played in a while, so I decided to jump in and take my A-team for a quick spin in one of the medium exploration Ruins dungeons. Everyone is (was :( ) seasoned veterans at level 6 and maxed out on armor and skill upgrades, with a couple decent trinkets. As usual I overdid it on the supplies, because as boring as it is, I do full light runs with my A-team, I have some sun trinkets and it takes a lot of the chance out of the stress management aspect. Or at least it did.

About 4 hallways and 3 rooms or so in, 2 of them are already stressed out (Selfish and Abusive), everyone's HP is starting to bottom out already, and I end up losing my best Highwayman (RIP Brix) to one of those goblet carrying Skeleton fuckers. I camped immediately after, but it wasn't enough to get my health and stress levels under control, so I just bugged out of there after exploring part of another hallway.

It needs some balancing, but this is still a good thing. Part of the reason I haven't played in a while is because there was really just one strategy you needed for everything, and it was getting a little dull. Now I'm going to have to tweak the party setup, Leper - Hellion - Highwayman - Vestal isn't going to work nearly as well in the Ruins, as that doesn't give me any reliable DoTs (I forgot that skeletons don't bleed very easily at all). Also my A-team had never even hit 100 stress in ages, and it added some excitement to the game again (the Vestal went Stalwart, such a satisfying thing to see).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

corpses aren't that big of a deal but the amount of loving diseases that you contract now is just mindblowingly bad. like 3 loving diseases sometimes on a guy and it's either pay like 4k to get rid of one, or wait it out til it goes away. It just sucks.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Darkest Dungeon: "I forgot that skeletons don't bleed very easily at all"

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

MinibarMatchman posted:

corpses aren't that big of a deal but the amount of loving diseases that you contract now is just mindblowingly bad. like 3 loving diseases sometimes on a guy and it's either pay like 4k to get rid of one, or wait it out til it goes away. It just sucks.

This is going to be tough to nail down. When the game first came out diseases were a non-factor. The best way to deal with them was to just let them wear off. They have to come with enough frequency that it becomes a real option to send people to the Sanitarium. Maybe a good solution is to decrease their potency but keep the same frequency they are at right now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's a roster management issue. Ideally you have a roster big enough that people recovering in the sanatarium don't impact your roster. The prices are pretty cheap too. It's just annoying at first to keep up because you have to actually unlock the roster size upgrades and stuff.

Really diseases are just an annoyance, I can see where they are going with it all and it makes sense to me since roster management was such a non-issue before this patch. You just had an A-Team and rolled the game.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Right now they seem to be swinging between difficulties, but I think with a few tweaks they'll hit a sweet spot. Nothing is really "structurally" unbalanced about the game, it's entirely in how diseases and protections are being handled.

edit: well, and their leveling system is pretty off atm. If they buff heroes a tad and nerf champion levels I think we'll be golden.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
I don't expect diseases to get much better. The devs have a not so very secret goal to make you have a large and changing roster, not an A team. It's a little less dumb than the Long War XCOM mod's way of making you have a large roster. The thinking goes if you have a large roster, they can provoke an emotional response by killing your dudes, and have you keep playing rather than savescum or ragequit. I recognize that's a touch glossed over but I think it's basically self explanatory. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll effort post about it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GladRagKraken posted:

I don't expect diseases to get much better. The devs have a not so very secret goal to make you have a large and changing roster, not an A team. It's a little less dumb than the Long War XCOM mod's way of making you have a large roster. The thinking goes if you have a large roster, they can provoke an emotional response by killing your dudes, and have you keep playing rather than savescum or ragequit. I recognize that's a touch glossed over but I think it's basically self explanatory. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll effort post about it.

I wish the sanitarium screen was easier to navigate. Like when you're in the building it should highlight people who are sick or crazy, or even replace their little stat window with what problems they have. I end up having to go through every single person, dragging and dropping them into a slot and see if they have anything that needs fixing.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I wish the sanitarium screen was easier to navigate. Like when you're in the building it should highlight people who are sick or crazy, or even replace their little stat window with what problems they have. I end up having to go through every single person, dragging and dropping them into a slot and see if they have anything that needs fixing.

That'd be too much noise, because when do you ever have a adventurer without negative quirks?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Famethrowa posted:

That'd be too much noise, because when do you ever have a adventurer without negative quirks?

I try to keep everyone totally healthy, mentally and physically. I guess I'll ignore minor ones like that they don't drink or what ever. Just the interface is a pain, there has to be a better way than dragging 20+ people every week to check everyone.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

I try to keep everyone totally healthy, mentally and physically. I guess I'll ignore minor ones like that they don't drink or what ever. Just the interface is a pain, there has to be a better way than dragging 20+ people every week to check everyone.

Yeah if they're going to so heavily encourage roster diversification and management they could at least make it less of a chore to manage your roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Wow there is a huge difficulty jump from apprentice to veteran missions. A swinetaur killed my A team :negative:.