Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I remember reading somewhere (though I can't substantiate this) that the FA translator is purposefully sloppy because he wants people to support the official release and just views himself as the quick fix guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Slain is one of the best looking Manga villains I've ever seen, mainly because he has the art style of a TMNT comic character which somehow is meshing really well with the usual Shonen style of most of the characters. I hope he sticks around for the rest of the series.

he's got *chains* instead of bootlaces. Someone said he was 90s American comics distilled and thats basically true 100%

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

he's got *chains* instead of bootlaces. Someone said he was 90s American comics distilled and thats basically true 100%

Don't forget the pouches and that he would absolutely be voiced by Steve Blum.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The contrast is pretty good yeah.
But its that thing again where the evil people are intentionally menacing/ugly.

Maybe thats sub commentary on how strange looking people are shunned by society and blah blah blah

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

And Phillips screws for earrings.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

How did Stain discover his quirk is what I want to know.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Well see, when a man really likes a lady and that lady is on her period....

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

however he did it, it's almost certainly a primary source of his upset with the world, it's a "evil" quirk through and through imagine how crushed he must have been when the super hero world shut him out because of it

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

however he did it, it's almost certainly a primary source of his upset with the world, it's a "evil" quirk through and through imagine how crushed he must have been when the super hero world shut him out because of it

It's a shame. However he does it, the ability to paralyze villains rather than beating them half to death is really the most humane quirk one could have.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhygezenguro posted:

It's a shame. However he does it, the ability to paralyze villains rather than beating them half to death is really the most humane quirk one could have.

Well the eating their blood thing is probably the part that makes it kind of evilish.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

NecroMonster posted:

That would... actually fit. Or otherwise something where the community measured him by surface-level standards fixated on keeping themselves as a community looking good, rather than what he did or didn't do as a hero.

I kinda want this to be true just so we could also tie it back to the mind control kid (whose name currently escapes me), who could have easily gone that way if not for the pep talk (and I suppose, still could).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The contrast is pretty good yeah.
But its that thing again where the evil people are intentionally menacing/ugly.

Maybe thats sub commentary on how strange looking people are shunned by society and blah blah blah

Maybe but based on everything else we know about Stain? No way in hell he doesn't spend three hours with a makeup kit before he gets his hero-killer on.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
For a guy who hates false heroes, he sure puts a lot of work into his persona.

Also I had to laugh at the comments on this thing

What kind of quirk would you have if you had a character in the series ? posted:

Mine would be black arctic haze. It's like a black haze of ice that can burn at the single touch. In if to much is put to one place on the controls body it will leave a burn that will go away after a few minutes. But if it's but on the intire body for more than three hours the whole body could suffer 2 degrees burn's or worse burn that might never be held

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

Also I had to laugh at the comments on this thing

The people who write comments like this confuse me. I guess I've never really understood people who are into fanfiction and creating their own original characters and stuff. That might be a little unfair of me to say, though. I can't really fault some 12 year old from basically writing on the internet the sort of stuff that kids think of while they play with action figures. At least it's something creative (sorta).

That being said, if the writer isn't 12/13 years old :stare:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ytlaya posted:

The people who write comments like this confuse me. I guess I've never really understood people who are into fanfiction and creating their own original characters and stuff. That might be a little unfair of me to say, though. I can't really fault some 12 year old from basically writing on the internet the sort of stuff that kids think of while they play with action figures. At least it's something creative (sorta).

I many ways, it's just like playing a tabletop rpg. Making up characters and having adventures is fun.

Now, lemme tell you about my character...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If Stain is the embodiment of 90's American comics, then why doesn't he have any guns?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Mraagvpeine posted:

If Stain is the embodiment of 90's American comics, then why doesn't he have any guns?

because Guns don't kill people, don't you know?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

That would be too edgy and might lead to becoming obsessively more hyper violent until you break down in the middle of blowing things up to cry about how your mother didn't love you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

The real problem is that they came up with a lovely power. You either go generic common powers and think up unique ways to use them or devise monkey paw wish specific weird rear end poo poo that you then use to wreck everything. Black ice is not only dumb, but you're just copying a dude already in the comic. This kid never sat around with their friends thinking up new comic book characters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My quirk would be writing huge walls of text about the thematic significance of a children's superhero comic.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
That's not a quirk, that's an English degree.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gyges posted:

The real problem is that they came up with a lovely power. You either go generic common powers and think up unique ways to use them or devise monkey paw wish specific weird rear end poo poo that you then use to wreck everything. Black ice is not only dumb, but you're just copying a dude already in the comic. This kid never sat around with their friends thinking up new comic book characters.

Yeah, you'd think that the whole point of creating original characters or fanfiction is to create something unique from the source material. It's like how Naruto fans have created a million Sasuke and Itachi clones that all have the super ultra sharingan that has all the same powers as all the other sharingans combined. For fucks sake, if you're going to imagine up some character at least make them different.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
My favorite part of Stain's design is that he has a bandana, a scarf and an eye-mask with long flowing trails that flap around with his scarf - because you can never have too much stuff flowing behind you in the breeze.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the eating their blood thing is probably the part that makes it kind of evilish.

I thought it was if he got his blood on them that he could control/paralyze them. The way Deku's train of thought is worded in the linked scan certainly suggests that to me at least, given he thinks "did he get a nick in, a scratch so slight I didn't even notice? No, wait...that's not it, it's the blood!". It suggests Deku didn't get cut, but that he got blood on him. It would also explain how he managed to paralyze both Shigaraki and Black Mist without them noticing. It's much more likely he managed to flick a bit of blood on them without them noticing than that he managed to cut them and eat their blood without them noticing. If that's true it's really not an evil quirk at all. It's a bit disgusting perhaps, but hardly evil by any stretch. Either way, it explains why Stain likes knives so much, given that he either needs to cut himself or his foes to get his quirk to work.

Astro Nut posted:

That would... actually fit. Or otherwise something where the community measured him by surface-level standards fixated on keeping themselves as a community looking good, rather than what he did or didn't do as a hero.

I hope not. I'd prefer this setting remain a little more heroic and optimistic than that personally, and besides which, we already have One Punch Man for that scenario.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems like Stain's ability is effectively the same as having knives/swords that automatically win against the opponent if they so much as graze them (plus him also maybe having the option of flicking his own blood on them without cutting then maybe?). That ability (particularly if the part in parenthesis is true) seems extremely powerful. If the part in parenthesis is true, he could conceivably defeat even All Might (though it seems like he wouldn't want to in the first place).

One thing I wonder is if One for All would potentially allow Midoriya to resist the paralysis in the same way he resisted the mind control during the tournament.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like Stain's ability is effectively the same as having knives/swords that automatically win against the opponent if they so much as graze them (plus him also maybe having the option of flicking his own blood on them without cutting then maybe?). That ability (particularly if the part in parenthesis is true) seems extremely powerful. If the part in parenthesis is true, he could conceivably defeat even All Might (though it seems like he wouldn't want to in the first place).

One thing I wonder is if One for All would potentially allow Midoriya to resist the paralysis in the same way he resisted the mind control during the tournament.

If it is just "contact with blood = paralysis", then Stain's quirk has a hilariously brutal downside - he can never receive surgical treatment in any way, ever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They don't wear gloves and other barrier items to prevent germ transfer in surgery?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gyges posted:

My power would be the same as that one crazy lady in the Grant Morrison run of Doom Patrol. She has every power you haven't thought of. So to fight her you have to constantly be thinking up more powers in order to disable her. I think she was called "The Quiz" or somesuch.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

gnome7 posted:

If it is just "contact with blood = paralysis", then Stain's quirk has a hilariously brutal downside - he can never receive surgical treatment in any way, ever.

That'd certainly explain the 90s look with all the scarves and wraps and poo poo, dudes actually a complete mess from injuries. Hell, having a quirk like that could pretty easily turn you against heroics too, I could see allies of his when he was younger exploiting an ability like that by having him go in first and taking the brunt of things against bad guys.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Before Todoroki showed up I totally thought we were gonna get a callback and have Midoriya break the paralysis with his willpower.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gyges posted:

They don't wear gloves and other barrier items to prevent germ transfer in surgery?

It seems to be stunning everyone right through their clothing so I'm not sure protective clothing helps against it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Hell, having a quirk like that could pretty easily turn you against heroics too, I could see allies of his when he was younger exploiting an ability like that by having him go in first and taking the brunt of things against bad guys.

Eh, I hope not. I'd rather this be "purely" an ideology of his, rather than something that is the result of him having bad experiences in the past. That way the characters actually have to address his ideas, rather than just make him realize that he needs to get over his past.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, I hope not. I'd rather this be "purely" an ideology of his, rather than something that is the result of him having bad experiences in the past. That way the characters actually have to address his ideas, rather than just make him realize that he needs to get over his past.
This post doesn't make any sense to me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

A lot of bad guy motivations basically boil down to "I HATE YOU DAD AND WILL THEREFORE ARBITRARILY OPPOSE YOUR BELIEFS BECAUSE OF THIS ENORMOUS CHIP ON MY SHOULDER." I think what Ytlaya's asking for is something more along the lines of "Actually dad I gave it a good long think and I disagree with your views and have found mine own."

It doesn't need to be a dad thing, specifically, but you get what I mean.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gnome7 posted:

It seems to be stunning everyone right through their clothing so I'm not sure protective clothing helps against it.

The smell and/or sight of Stain's blood is paralyzing everyone?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bad Seafood posted:

It doesn't need to be a dad thing, specifically, but you get what I mean.
No, I get that. What confuses me is that A. people tend to be dictated by their past so it's kind of weird to say "I hope his past doesn't factor into his current views on the world," and B. someone's point and arguments (when they're valid, of course) are only dismissed because of their tragic past when there's bad writing involved.

I mean, think about this for one second. "Oh you have personal experience that backs up the tragedy of your points, that means your points are invalid." Does the fault here come from the character having a bad past, or bad writing?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Stain complains that heros think too much of themselves and are motivated by their own personal interests instead of a selfless desire to do good.

If Stain's crusade is motivated by his own personal interests, it undermines his argument.

Personally I hope he turns out to be a former successful hero who just realized one day that most of his colleagues were self absorbed assholes.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Avulsion posted:

Stain complains that heros think too much of themselves and are motivated by their own personal interests instead of a selfless desire to do good.

If Stain's crusade is motivated by his own personal interests, it undermines his argument.
This is true. Having a tragic past doesn't prove motivation though, it merely serves as a method to inform people.

Again, it seems like a lot of people are equating "bad writing" with tried and true methods that give consistent characterization.

What I'm trying to say is that, going back to Bad Seafood's example, I'm hearing a lot of "gently caress YOU DAD I DON'T WANT MY VILLAIN TO HAVE A TRAGIC PAST I WANT HIM TO JUST PULL HIS IDEAS FROM ANYWHERE ELSE!"

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
They don't want the story to end up with the heroes convincing Stain that his ideas are wrong because he's just mad about his tragic past, as opposed to convincing him that his ideas are wrong because they are wrong

What are you not getting about this

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

They don't want the story to end up with the heroes convincing Stain that his ideas are wrong because he's just mad about his tragic past, as opposed to convincing him that his ideas are wrong because they are wrong

What are you not getting about this
I don't think you read my posts, but what I'm not getting is the blame. The problem was never villains having tragic back stories, and Stain having a back story that feeds into his current ideologies and actions would just end up as consistent characterization. The problem (if it occurred) would come from bad writing, and I also hope this story keeps up its good writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Twiddy posted:

I don't think you read my posts, but what I'm not getting is the blame. The problem was never villains having tragic back stories, and Stain having a back story that feeds into his current ideologies and actions would just end up as consistent characterization. The problem (if it occurred) would come from bad writing, and I also hope this story keeps up its good writing.

The point here is not whether he has a tragic backstory or not, the point is whether Stain has an actual ideology that stems from his backstory but is still logical and debatable instead of STAIN HATES MOST SUPERHEROES BECAUSE ONE TIME A HERO KILLED HIS DOG!!! The latter is pretty common for villains in this kind of manga and would be pretty disappointing, partly because it allows the heroes to just dismiss anything he says as the ravings of a tragic crazy person. If it's the former, the heroes would have to actually address his arguments and philosophy.