Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

My favorite thing about riding at night with a dark visor was not being able to see anything but the road in front of me. Can't be scared of cliffs you can't see. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I can see how that would work with some people, but I don't think most riders who commute on their bike want to carry around an entire extra visor all day.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Professor Wayne posted:

I can see how that would work with some people, but I don't think most riders who commute on their bike want to carry around an entire extra visor all day.

It's not hard to stash a visor when you're already carrying a backpack.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

It's not hard to stash a visor when you're already carrying a backpack.

This. Who is commuting and isn't using a backpack or luggage of some kind? I bought tailbags specifically for my daily commute.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Test fitted the Kriega, man these things are well-designed.

Now I just gotta wait for the mirror to get here (:argh: dealer!) and go riding somewhere.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Professor Wayne posted:

I just stash my extra one in my jacket. Wraps right around you.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I decided to actually look at visors for my Shoei Qwest, and they list visors on their website here: http://www.store.shoei-helmets.com/parts-by-helmet-model/road/qwest/shields-shield-acc.html

I notice that some of the visors are CW-1 and some are CW-1 pinlock. What is the difference?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

CW-1 don't have a Pinlock, CW-1 Pinlock do.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Shimrod posted:

CW-1 don't have a Pinlock, CW-1 Pinlock do.

What is Pinlock should be my question then.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Pinlocks are an anti-fogging device. It's basically a double layer visor, the pinlock is detatchable and replaceable. They work pretty well and you should probably get one if you have fogging issues

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

BlackMK4 posted:

What's wrong with a tinted visor?

Oh, hey BlackMK4 sorry but this is kind of super important, could you stay an extra 4-6hrs today? We're kind of in a huge bind and will have to shut down production for a day or two if you can't. Thanks!

That said, I always just kept my clear in my backpack so vOv

Manifest Dynasty posted:

This is one reason why I love my new RF-1200. Got that Transition polychromatic visor, loving it.

I haven't heard much about those, are they worth the money? I need a tinted visor for my RF1200. It's entirely too bright out for me now that I work indoors.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 26, 2015

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I carry my clear visor with me all the time too. It's really not that big a deal.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Do gear stores typically carry visors? I'm interested in getting one now but I can't decide between dark smoke, mellow smoke and light smoke and I'd rather get to see it in person.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Cyclegear does, I know.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Knifegrab posted:

Do gear stores typically carry visors? I'm interested in getting one now but I can't decide between dark smoke, mellow smoke and light smoke and I'd rather get to see it in person.

Run dark smoke if you're light sensitive, light smoke if you want something that cuts some light and glare but is also okish at night, and mellow smoke if you just wanna blaze and chill.

My Bell custom fit is on the way and has a transitions lens, which I'm really looking forward to though.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Professor Wayne posted:

Oxford makes a $10-ish visor carrier that wraps around your waist. Very convenient, especially since a visor does not fit in the tail of my bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Razzled posted:

Pinlocks are an anti-fogging device. It's basically a double layer visor, the pinlock is detatchable and replaceable. They work pretty well and you should probably get one if you have fogging issues

The only issue I'm finding with pinlock is that it effectively reduces your vertical field of view by quite a bit even in the clear, such that if you want to tuck a bit you end up needing to crane your neck to have a clear view of traffic ahead (or be constantly pushing your helmet up, which seems kinda risky tbh)

It's possible to target things in the ~10mm gap between the seal and the edge of the visor, but I've found doing this to be more tiring than just stretching my neck, with the added risk that things can disappear behind the seal due to refraction shenanigans. It's basically like having a little A-pillar in your helmet.

I know they've released some maxi versions that go right up to the edge of the visor, but afaik these are only available for one or two race type helmets.

All that said, it's great not having to gently caress around with religiously cleaning and treating my visor to be able to see through it at all, especially given I live in a cold humid area where fogging is a year round risk.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I doubt a pinlock restricts your view in any meaningful way.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

I've never had any issue with the rf1200 pinlock.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Take a look at http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ as the British government tests helemts and 1 star is just passes ECE standards.

Wow never knew about this site. The 50 quid Box helmet I've been rocking has 4/5 stars, the more you know.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Razzled posted:

The double pane visor I have for my Bell blocks the view of my speedo. But I don't know why I'd want to look at that anyways.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ended up getting a dark smoke visor for my shoei at my local cycler gear. I never realized how easy they are to replace.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

The only issue I'm finding with pinlock is that it effectively reduces your vertical field of view by quite a bit even in the clear, such that if you want to tuck a bit you end up needing to crane your neck to have a clear view of traffic ahead (or be constantly pushing your helmet up, which seems kinda risky tbh)

It's possible to target things in the ~10mm gap between the seal and the edge of the visor, but I've found doing this to be more tiring than just stretching my neck, with the added risk that things can disappear behind the seal due to refraction shenanigans. It's basically like having a little A-pillar in your helmet.

I know they've released some maxi versions that go right up to the edge of the visor, but afaik these are only available for one or two race type helmets.

All that said, it's great not having to gently caress around with religiously cleaning and treating my visor to be able to see through it at all, especially given I live in a cold humid area where fogging is a year round risk.

What kind of helmet have you got? It might just have a questionable field of view to start with. My Raid II had a tiny vision port and the pinlock made it absolutely hopeless. The NXR has a much, much larger FOV and I don't notice the pinlock at all.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway:

I was in a minor crash a few weeks ago. I was quite aware of everything happening while going down. I don't honestly remember hitting my head on the ground (I landed on my shoulder. It was fantastic.), but while I slid, apparently my helmet got a scrape up near the corner of my visor. No cracks or anything. Is it time to replace the helmet, or is it OK?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are only two kinds of questions in CA:

1. You're knew and don't know anything so we'll be friendly and explain things in exhausting detail.

2. You already know the answer/buy a multimeter :argh:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

There are only two kinds of questions in CA:

1. You're knew and don't know anything so we'll be friendly and explain things in exhausting detail.

2. You already know the answer/buy a multimeter :argh:

Welp, I already own a multimeter, so I know what I must do. Damnit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

What kind of helmet have you got? It might just have a questionable field of view to start with. My Raid II had a tiny vision port and the pinlock made it absolutely hopeless. The NXR has a much, much larger FOV and I don't notice the pinlock at all.

LS2 ff370. The normal FOV with the pinlock in is fine, it's just an edge case where a couple times in the rain or at high speed when I'm hunched over I've thought "poo poo, it'd be nice if I could drop my head just another few degrees".

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

ninmeister posted:

I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway:

I was in a minor crash a few weeks ago. I was quite aware of everything happening while going down. I don't honestly remember hitting my head on the ground (I landed on my shoulder. It was fantastic.), but while I slid, apparently my helmet got a scrape up near the corner of my visor. No cracks or anything. Is it time to replace the helmet, or is it OK?

Shoei and I think Arai, possibly others have a program wwhere you can ship them the helmet and they'll x-ray it and say if it was damaged

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Return shipping handled by yodel :suicide:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Shoei and I think Arai, possibly others have a program wwhere you can ship them the helmet and they'll x-ray it and say if it was damaged

They even have roadshows where they take an ultrasound machine around to check them. General advice though is that any helmet with damage that gets through the lacquer should be replaced on general principle.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I was looking a little on helmets and noticed that the weights was higher than I thought they would be. Seems like I lucked out when I chose my first helmet, as my First gen HJC Rpha 10 is only 1330 grams according to the kitchen scales, which Is as far as I can gather is insanely light.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

I was looking a little on helmets and noticed that the weights was higher than I thought they would be. Seems like I lucked out when I chose my first helmet, as my First gen HJC Rpha 10 is only 1330 grams according to the kitchen scales, which Is as far as I can gather is insanely light.

SHARP says it's fibreglass, which makes sense weight-wise. Only problem is that fibreglass is generally the least-protective shell material in common use, and also gets less-protective as it ages, which means the 3-star rating isn't a surprise either. (3 star isn't *that* bad, it's as good as some very high-end lids, but there's room for improvement).

TBH helmet manufacturers stopped targeting ultra-light weight around the turn of the century because given the average head weighs about 8kg, 500-odd grams doesn't really make any difference at all and improving aero and comfort is a better use of the budget.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Htfu in the neck department basically

(which I totally need to; for a few days after that 420mile round trip to Cambridge I was getting this really weird twitching in the muscles between my shoulder blades, ie the ones responsible for holding my head up. I was super freaky, felt like someone tapping me on the back, I kept turning round to see who it was :tinfoil:)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
huh seems so, HJC themselves says it's a Carbon Fiber, Aramid and Fiberglass combo they've invented.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
So I bought this over the weekend since it's like 100 degrees around here in the summer and we have 2 months left. Did I do a good thing? It fit me really well and I will probably buy some better inserts for the back, shoulder, and elbow armor. It fit better than the other ones I tried on and all the armor inserts were in the right place. I rode with it yesterday and while I was moving I was only vaguely aware that I had long sleeves on.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I always say having a mesh jacket for summer and another one that's got all the liners and stuff for the rest of the year is a good idea. Mesh is just so far superior to "4-season" gear, and if it gets hot enough where you live in the summer, it's totally worth it.

I don't know what your fall and spring are like, but here it gets cooler but stays dry for a while into October, so I can rock the mesh with a hoodie under it until it's too cold or too wet to continue.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lynza posted:

I always say having a mesh jacket for summer and another one that's got all the liners and stuff for the rest of the year is a good idea. Mesh is just so far superior to "4-season" gear, and if it gets hot enough where you live in the summer, it's totally worth it.

I don't know what your fall and spring are like, but here it gets cooler but stays dry for a while into October, so I can rock the mesh with a hoodie under it until it's too cold or too wet to continue.

Absolutely 100% agreed. Mesh is mandatory for 90+F rides, in my opinion.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

94 out today rockin full unperf leather. Harden Up Nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Digital_Jesus posted:

94 out today rockin full unperf leather. Harden Up Nerds.

How you smell after a ride is your business, man.