Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
drat, tower control on Camp Triggerfish is brutal. We had a bad start once when the opposing team pushed their tower to just 1 point of ours before we took back control of the tower. Some might have lost hope at that moment, hoping at best some consolation points - but not our team! We knocked that tower RIGHT BACK AT THEM and SO HARD they're still picking up their teeth from under the pier. Booyah! Or as we say here: Nice!

Riding that tower though... that's a loving death trap. If you're not splatted soon enough, then the water will get you when you either miscalculate your jump, outmaneuver yourself or you forget the knockback force of the inkzooka. Goddamit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rexroom posted:

drat, tower control on Camp Triggerfish is brutal. We had a bad start once when the opposing team pushed their tower to just 1 point of ours before we took back control of the tower. Some might have lost hope at that moment, hoping at best some consolation points - but not our team! We knocked that tower RIGHT BACK AT THEM and SO HARD they're still picking up their teeth from under the pier. Booyah! Or as we say here: Nice!

Riding that tower though... that's a loving death trap. If you're not splatted soon enough, then the water will get you when you either miscalculate your jump, outmaneuver yourself or you forget the knockback force of the inkzooka. Goddamit.

I really don't like riding that tower, I've seen what the caress of a rapid blaster does there.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

noirstronaut posted:

you feel creeped out b/c i raise issues with a game you love and that half of the people you play w. online might have dreams about the character u play with. u pick up the joystick when they pick up theirs

this gimmick is stale

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I really don't like riding that tower, I've seen what the caress of a rapid blaster does there.

Look, I don't care if you don't like it, the further away it's from MY base, the better. NOW GET ON THAT TOWER!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rexroom posted:

Look, I don't care if you don't like it, the further away it's from MY base, the better. NOW GET ON THAT TOWER!

What weapon is worst for tower riding, ink brush maybe?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

this gimmick is stale

:agreed:

E: Also Camp trigger fish is v good

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kewpuh posted:

this gimmick is stale

Stay fresh.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

:agreed:

E: Also Camp trigger fish is v good

Camp Trigger fish is great for brushes, You can zip run on top of the walls.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hey, does the sprinkler have any enemy ink canceling/overwriting (if around it) or shielding (if some distance behind it)? I've always wondered if I could hack up a warning system or a really poor ink wall instead of using it mostly as annoyance or bait.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Famitsu surveyed a bunch of Splatoon players, here are their findings:

Do you play usual FPS and TPS games?
Yes: 29%, No: 71%

Do you play as a boy or girl?
Girl: 73%, Boy: 27%

Which weapon type do you use the most often?
Shooters: 71%, Rollers: 20%, Chargers 9%

Favourite weapons?
1. Tentatek Splattershot – 299 votes
2. Krak-On Splat Roller – 257 votes
3. Splash-o-matic – 244 votes
4. Aerospray RG – 241 votes
5. Splattershot Jr. – 209 votes
6. Inkbrush – 175 votes
7. Dual Squelcher – 162 votes
8. .96 Gal – 158 votes
9. .52 Gal Deco – 144 votes
10. Aerospray MG – 132 votes

Favourite sub weapons?
1. Splat Bomb – 669 votes
2. Suction Bomb – 660 votes
3. Sprinkler – 450 votes
4. Seeker – 395 votes
5. Burst Bomb – 313 votes

Favourite special weapons?
1. Inkstrike – 697 votes
2. Inkzooka – 625 votes
3. Echolocator – 569 votes
4. Kraken – 423 votes
5. Bomb Rush – 416 votes

Favourite perks:
1. Ink Saver (Main) – 596 votes
2. Ninja Squid – 426 votes
3. Ink Resistance Up – 324 votes
4. Damage Up – 286 votes
5. Ink Recovery Up – 241 votes
6. Special Charge Up – 228 votes
7. Swim Speed Up – 191 votes
8. Cold Blooded – 151 votes
9. Quick Respawn – 137 votes
10. Bomb Range Up – 117 votes

Which features are most important when choosing gear?
Design and abilities are both important: 56%
Abilities are most important: 31%
Design is most important: 15%

How do you play?
Focus on being aggressive and splatting enemies: 64%
Focus on inking: 36%

Favourite stages?
1. Walleye Warehouse – 717 votes
2. Kelp Dome – 600
3. Blackbelly Skatepark – 458 votes

Least favourite stages?
1. Bluefin Depot – 754 votes
2. Arowana Mall – 585 votes
3. Port Mackerel – 509 votes

Callie or Marie?
Marie: 53%, Callie: 47%

Player satisfaction scale:
0-69 points: 2%
70-79 points: 5%
80-89 points: 21%
90-99 points: 53%
100 points: 19%

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 27, 2015

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Callie or Marie?

:yeah:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Callie or Marie?

:mrgw:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Philistines.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hating Port Mackerel is hosed up though

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Especially since it has the same basic flow as fan favorite Walleye Warehouse.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

dogsicle posted:

I don't agree with it but I can understand it.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Moray Towers is definitely my least favorite, suprised it didn't make the list.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Elderbean posted:

I think it's a neat level, but I'm an inkbrusher and when it's in the rotation I change weapons. :(

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Who the hell likes Walleye Warehouse best?

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Bean posted:

It's a great simple map that's actually fun in all modes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I am mostly surprised that 70% of the people surveyed don't play other shooter games. I guess the game really is tapping a new market.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bean posted:

Walleye Warehouse and Kelp Dome are my favorite maps. I can use any of my favorite weapons there and they're great! The maps also flow really well for Turf War and can be nail-bitingly close even if one side gets hammered for the first couple minutes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am mostly surprised that 70% of the people surveyed don't play other shooter games. I guess the game really is tapping a new market.

FPS/TPS are more popular in Japan than they've ever been but they're still nowhere near as popular as they are in the rest of the world, and I'm pretty sure Splatoon has outsold the biggest-selling COD, Halo, etc over there.

It's also neck-and-neck with Smash U sales, is still high in the charts and seems to have had a lasting effect on hardware sales, too. It's a genuine hit and even Nintendo didn't see it coming.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The devs did an interview with Famitsu where they said they focused on having a female lead because they thought it'd be better accepted overseas, interesting: http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-devs-on-inkling-girl-design-focus-squid-sisters-and-more/

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Elderbean posted:

I actually just got the game today, and my first five battles were on that map.

So I died a lot falling off edges at first and pretty much every battle consisted of running down to the bottom and getting sniped by a guy I had no way of approaching or getting around. This was the pattern pretty much whether my team won or not- a grindy clusterfuck that was distinctly unfriendly to a new player (if there was a way to deal with someone sniping a chokepoint, it sure wasn't something I could figure out with the tools available to me).

Fortunately other maps are way more fun and I think it was probably just that map that was loving with me.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Eiba posted:

I actually just got the game today, and my first five battles were on that map.

So I died a lot falling off edges at first and pretty much every battle consisted of running down to the bottom and getting sniped by a guy I had no way of approaching or getting around. This was the pattern pretty much whether my team won or not- a grindy clusterfuck that was distinctly unfriendly to a new player (if there was a way to deal with someone sniping a chokepoint, it sure wasn't something I could figure out with the tools available to me).

Fortunately other maps are way more fun and I think it was probably just that map that was loving with me.

There's side walls you can ink and climb on that map and multiple places to drop down, my advice is to use that recon mode on every new map you see (3 minutes of alone time in the map) you'll be able to explore new routes and peace. That's how I found out camp triggerfish has inkable gates that lower 2 minutes into the match so your route options widen.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kewpuh posted:

this gimmick is stale

maybe he'll no longer like the gimmick now that its old

The devs did an interview with Famitsu where they said they focused on having a female lead because they thought it'd be better accepted overseas, interesting: http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-devs-on-inkling-girl-design-focus-squid-sisters-and-more/

wait so gamedevs actually listened to the equality stuff? and nintendo of japan was the one that listened? not what I was expecting.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Tengames posted:

wait so gamedevs actually listened to the equality stuff? and nintendo of japan was the one that listened? not what I was expecting.
There were more female characters at E3 than usual as well, so it's not just Nintendo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bean posted:

Walleye Warehouse is the most simple map in the game and easiest to get into. It's basically Splatoon's 2Fort.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The most surprising thing for me is that stealth jump isn't in the top ten favourite abilities.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

I love when Walleye's in the rotation and feel like goofing off 'cause it's open enough that all I'd do is equip my .52 Gal Deco and send out Seeker after Seeker after Seeker

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I'm glad they took the time to do their own foley work. The sound effects are super satisfying, my favorite is the one that plays when you jump off a ledge into ink.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Which features are most important when choosing gear?
Design and abilities are both important: 56%
Abilities are most important: 31%
Design is most important: 15%

It's good to see freshness is appreciated. (Although the sum of those seems to be 102%)

I'm kinda surprised that Bluefin Depot is the least favourite map. And Kelp Dome is that appreciated.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

DalaranJ posted:

I'm glad they took the time to do their own foley work. The sound effects are super satisfying, my favorite is the one that plays when you jump off a ledge into ink.

that sound is the most satisfying thing

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The squiffer sound effect grosses me out though.

Also bluefin sucks and I hate it. It's way way way too small and the first 2 minutes feel completely pointless with how breakneck things can turn around.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

GeneX posted:

that sound is the most satisfying thing

Yesss, I love splashing into ink.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Seems like the milked ice tea won over the lemon tea in the JP Splatfest.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Splatoon update August 6! Tag Team Matches, Private Matches, new weapons, new items, etc. Details coming soon.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/625600742347288576

Online maintenance scheduled for August 3 through 5 that'll affect something related to Urchin Underpass?
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/625601790214430720

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 27, 2015

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It says "renovation" in the tweet, so we might be getting rebalanced maps? Would be good to see improved versions of Arowana, Urchin and Port Mackerel for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The map layout in the screenshot is different so yeah it's getting changed.

• Locked thread