Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
2 x Dell P2414H here. One vertical, one horizontal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

If the screens have regular DisplayPort you just need a $10 mDP->DP cable. There's nothing magic about mDP, it's just a different form factor.

If you want to do crazy stuff like two displays daisy-chained off one cable (DP MTS)[0], that still doesn't work with OSX (at least not in Yosemite in ~march) - you need to use both MiniDP outputs

At work I have two Dell U2715H, next to each other in landscape. Portrait was just too weird with the height, I almost want to get a monitor arm and have two landscape one above each other since it's just too wide (especially with the laptop display).

At home I just have two U2412M which is sometimes a better formfactor.

[0] So you can run a thunderbolt gigabit adapter, 2 monitors and not have to use HDMI which was my use case

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had dual 1600x1200 20" HP LCDs in a job back in 2006. That was a great setup considering the amount of lovely 17" LCDs and low resolution 16:9 VGA monitors kicking around at the time.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
An iPhone came in outta the spec bucket.

:nms: :nms:

If it's really quiet in the room you can hear the colony whispering about labor rights and unionization.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Cleanse it with fire. There is no saving it.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Cleanse it with fire. There is no saving it.

Support organization from another country cannot use services that you manage and provide, because workstations and IE security settings. Somehow I need to fix it. works fine from my point of view... My job description doesn't include the word "workstation" nevermind that they are in another country and not really the same company.

happy monday ya'll!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sirotan posted:

You should be happy he quit on his own. I've been on my boss' back the last three weeks to have him fire the temp we brought in a couple months ago because she's so goddamn useless. Friday I gave her the task of sorting through a banker box of cables and it took her the entire day.

I can only assume the cables were individual fibers from fiberoptics and you had cunningly tied them into some hellish gordian knot?

Because my bits box is about that size and it takes all of ten minutes to rummage through to find what you want.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

[img]

If it's really quiet in the room you can hear the colony whispering about labor rights and unionization.

Here we are, all, witnessing spec bucket 2.0

e: apparently, spoilers don't work with timg's

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

It's oil, isn't it? Filthy Norwegians and your oil.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thanks Ants posted:

I had dual 1600x1200 20" HP LCDs in a job back in 2006. That was a great setup considering the amount of lovely 17" LCDs and low resolution 16:9 VGA monitors kicking around at the time.

5:4 is really nice for all the old lovely software we have that doesn't take advantage of the space of a 16:9 monitor, but then I'm stuck with old lovely monitors too.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The saga of the lovely offsite server having issues from Friday continues. I finally got someone to stop over and power the thing up for me, but now I get that lovely "trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed". A local admin account was either never setup, or it was disabled and now I have no way I know of to connect to the thing and try to get it fixed. I didn't want to just rejoin it to the domain and have it mess up file and print sharing for the users in that location.

What are my options at this point? The users there can barely figure out how to power the thing up, let alone have me give them any help over the phone. I hate when poo poo like this happens, I always feel stupid like I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 27, 2015

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Can love bloom at the Hell Desk?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hungry Computer posted:

I love these. I decided to pull one from my junk mail.

quote:

Hello NOC EAST! You look amazing! Let me introduce myself!

I am Olga from Russia! I am looking for a caring and self-confident man for a normal communication and serious relationship!

I suppose that you have all of these qualities! I hope hear from you soon!

Please answer me.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Lightning Jim posted:

That's actually the "virtual power drain" I mentioned, as that's how it does a "cold" reboot. RACADM obviously has the same thing since it uses IPMI commands in part (which the iDRAC's SSH server has as well). Considering the "iDRAC isn't responding" POST error, I doubt that the command would work even from the host.

Is this the same issue post-board replacement? If so - drat. So they do lock the BIOS to a version, and someone forgot to send out another copy of the license?
Dell's Support Live Image does have a temp iDRAC license installer, and there's an auto temp license installer ISO as well on their downloads. Not sure if that helps any. And obviously with Support Live Image, you could flash to the required BIOS as well.

The iDRAC license got sorted eventually so it's back from the dead, I was waiting on a vendor specific license. Which I also eventually got five hours later. A lot of reboot cycles and enabling the Enterprise card in the BIOS eventually got it working, though now I can't get to the virtual console since it gives me a "connection failed" but iDRAC overall is working. I also found out via iDRAC that the two controllers are running two different versions of CentOS but with the same kernel so it works?

The tech was working on a critical downed client but just decided to go AWOL instead of giving me a quick "hey I'm in the middle of something" e-mail. The BIOS issue is now in a "well you could do this but it might be best not to, I'll let you know first thing Monday". Still no response from the tech :downs:. Sure I could flash to the 1.3.5 BIOS image from Dell but this vendor is a bit OEM crazy and I'm sure it would hilariously break something.

Also both my OSMA stick and the Dell install tech's OSMA stick kernel panicked. Whoops

But on the bright side the Nagios system for another client is finally up and running so the e-mail alerts have started. Just had to create a filter so my inbox isn't going to get flooded with non critical alerts.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 27, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

16:10 supremacy

This. I need my 120 pixels, unironically.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Changing my name to NOC EAST brb

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Renegret posted:

Well as the NOC, one would assume you are all about normal communication. But the relationship only lasts as long as you're the shortest route.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This. I need my 120 pixels, unironically.

Meh, I can live with 1440p, 16:9 is OK as long as I have >1200 vertical pixels.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wibla posted:

Meh, I can live with 1440p, 16:9 is OK as long as I have >1200 vertical pixels.

I was agreeing with you. I think.

Anyways I wish 1200p was the standard, not 1080. Frustrating when things are designed around a "tv" standard, but that's neither here nor there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You know, I just buy a monitor I think looks cool for the price I am willing to pay. I haven't given a thought to what resolution it displays beyond when I dial it to the max after it is installed. Am I a monster?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My home monitor is a 1440x900 19" Hanns-G I bought in... 2007? And at work I have a Dell 23" at 1920x1080. It's IPS so the contrast is lovely but the glossy screen is an annoyance. I've never had a dual monitor setup.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

I've never had a dual monitor setup.

Your employers are monsters you poor son of a bitch

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
rocking 2 U2412m and an older 16:10 21" for random things

16:10 SUPREMACY

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
27+15 (laptop) at work.
2x24 at home.

The 27 is great for remote work, fits everything on screen without scaling.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Hungry Computer posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > A ticket came in - Relationship between a man and a woman is always happiness

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

24" 1920x1200 at home
2x22" 1080p at work
two 1366x768 laptops at work

:saddowns:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Relationship between a man and a woman can wait, servers/storage/network cannot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have been trying to reach a user whose account we suspended for spamming (it was hijacked by way of an infected machine, not deliberate on the user's part) for most of the day, starting first thing this morning. I had to leave for a while, and left contact info for someone else in my absence. I didn't hear anything further, so when I got back the first thing I did was call and try to follow up to see if it had been resolved. No answer.

I finally get out to lunch in mid-afternoon, and while I'm finishing eating I get a nastygram from her boss telling me that her user has been locked out all day, and this is unacceptable, and who is my supervisor, and she says she is planning to complain to our CIO. She also called our helpdesk; there's not a lot that the helpdesk can do for her, but the person working it knows me and sent me an email to make sure I was aware, which is more than they really have to do. This is apparently a problem because "you can't have a helpdesk that won't offer any help."

I move mountains for these people. To suggest that I am somehow not doing enough, when there is literally no way I could be any more responsive, is beyond galling. I pulled in a couple of people above me to give them a heads up and to tell them I need them to pay the user a visit and go to bat for me.

I don't expect anything to come of it, really, I'm just venting. But I am tired of the ingratitude of people for whom I consistently go above and beyond.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

larchesdanrew posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > A ticket came in - Relationship between a man and a woman is always happiness

This has not been my experience

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's from Russia, I'm pretty sure that happiness and drunkenness are the same word, just like vodka means water.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Crowley posted:

2 x Dell P2414H here. One vertical, one horizontal.

:hfive: Hell yeah, same here - picked up off Woot for $170 each refurbished, colors are fantastic, no dead pixels, everything looks so purdy compared to my old lovely Acer 21". That's the one thing I like with IPS panels, the color clarity/vibrance is amazing on them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

home - dual 21.5" Acer monitors.

Current job - dual "holy poo poo those are some old mismatched LCDs"

New job - They are shipping me dual 27" Asus screens to go with the MBP since I will be working from home for a while

I'm so in love with new job so far

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

guppy posted:

I have been trying to reach a user whose account we suspended for spamming (it was hijacked by way of an infected machine, not deliberate on the user's part) for most of the day, starting first thing this morning. I had to leave for a while, and left contact info for someone else in my absence. I didn't hear anything further, so when I got back the first thing I did was call and try to follow up to see if it had been resolved. No answer.

I finally get out to lunch in mid-afternoon, and while I'm finishing eating I get a nastygram from her boss telling me that her user has been locked out all day, and this is unacceptable, and who is my supervisor, and she says she is planning to complain to our CIO. She also called our helpdesk; there's not a lot that the helpdesk can do for her, but the person working it knows me and sent me an email to make sure I was aware, which is more than they really have to do. This is apparently a problem because "you can't have a helpdesk that won't offer any help."

I move mountains for these people. To suggest that I am somehow not doing enough, when there is literally no way I could be any more responsive, is beyond galling. I pulled in a couple of people above me to give them a heads up and to tell them I need them to pay the user a visit and go to bat for me.

I don't expect anything to come of it, really, I'm just venting. But I am tired of the ingratitude of people for whom I consistently go above and beyond.

Pull the call logs so you have something to CYA with if required.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Workspace Chat : This photo is a little outdated, but not much. On the right is now a 13" 2014 Retina Macbook Pro connected to the 27" iMac in target display mode and a 23" apple cinema display. I'm satisfied with it.

Taken during a 'casual friday' during some winter break or whatever when the olympic hockeys were happening

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does that dog get closer and closer every time you reboot the surface?

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

guppy posted:

People not understanding other people have issues to be fixed.

I think that this is standard for all organisations. The "You there, filthy IT monkey, fix my computer" can get a little annoying when you are trying to get to the person but they don't leave any notice of where they are, their calendar says they're free and they won't respond to any form of communication.

A couple of months back one user sent though a ticket that said their Citrix wasn't working on their laptop they didn't need for a week (we knew what the issue was and we have told people to switch to IE from Chrome due to the NPAPI plugin been disabled and going to be removed soon). I wasn't able to get to the user for two days (was at another office and didn't have access to emails one day and tried several times throughout the day the second), the next day as I walk in to reception half an hour early to get to some work from the previous day and the person puts the laptop on the reception counter next to me saying fix the issue right now. I set IE to be the default browser and the person walks away.

Two days later my boss asks to have a meeting and says that the person has complained to our general manager as I have been unresponsive to their requests. I explained what happened and he said that he knows I wouldn't be rude, that if any requests come from them he can take care of them for a while and if anyone was to complain it was going to be from that team. I go to see them about what the issue they had complained about was and it was for another PC that was in an office that at the time had no staff for me to walk through the problem with.

I worry about people sometimes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

IT Professional = Computer guy = magical wizard who makes willing it to be true

So if you don't make it all better instantly, its deliberate.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

IT Professional = Computer guy = magical wizard who makes willing it to be true

So if you don't make it all better instantly, its deliberate.
Yeah, well,

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I wish my shop's advertisements were only as cheesy as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I've been on the other end of the conversation for the last couple of days. The tech I've been working with at one of our vendors has been terrible at keeping in contact. There were four or five hour stretches yesterday where I didn't hear anything even though I asked a question and we had a client who was running at half capacity. Today he was down to two or three hours stretches :v:

Turns out he was working with a "critical downed client" so he was "tied up". Okay that's a good reason but this was never communicated to me so I was wondering what the hell was going on. Even better he totally misunderstood me about a BIOS question (he though I wanted to backrev an OEM BIOS, not upgrade an OEM BIOS) so that added another couple hours of silence from him. I e-mailed him three times and called him twice until he sent me a link to the wrong BIOS installer and I had to start all over again. Long story short my boss and I got fed up and started to escalate this up the vendor chain. Eventually we get up to the VP Of Service.

So after another period of silence I get an e-mail from him saying it's a half hour past his shift and can he hand it off to another team. He then decided to include this gem with both my boss and his boss on the cc chain:

quote:

I wanted to take care of this because my manager asked me to continue effort because your manager called my manager complaining that there was not enough progress being made

The reason we complained friendo is because your communication and reading comprehension were so abysmal that you wasted my time and the clients time. It took eight hours for him to get me a configuration file and it ended up being the wrong file anyway. Multiple times he either misread or didn't read my e-mails and then went MIA. And then after he said he was going to hand it off I don't get any communication from him saying it's been handed off, just silence.

Bottom line: communication is key.

• Locked thread