Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Legit surprised Rally the Ancestors hasn't spiked y-oh.

That deck is super impressive. Liliana is just insane in that shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

What do you three-round-FNM dudes do for prize payouts?

$12 enty. 7:00 start time. 5 packs & the foil for 3-0, 2 packs for 2-1 and 2 foils for door prizes. It works quite well.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

my store's weekly events are $5 entries, 110% in store credit payout, they run 3 rounds for 8 mans and 4 rounds for larger and pay out to X-0, X-0-1, and X-1. I'm not entirely sure what the math behind the payouts is but if you're X-1 you're typically making like 1.5x the entry fee.

Standard pays out in packs and drafts pay out in packs though, I have only drafted MM where it was 4/2/1 MM payouts (I think it might have been 3 packs plus a $5 for the entry fee actually for the MM ones since their fee was $35 or 3 MM packs + $5.)
Why does your average FNM have a higher payout % than GP vegas?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

eSporks posted:

Why does your average FNM have a higher payout % than GP vegas?

Pretty sure this is because the payouts at GPs are loving terrible, and scale even worse so the large events (Vegas) are extra bad.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

Pretty sure this is because the payouts at GPs are loving terrible, and scale even worse so the large events (Vegas) are extra bad.
It was meant to be a rhetorical. A FNM paying out 110% shows that they aren't running the event for profit, they see additional value there. It helps to grow their business, attract new customers, build loyalty, etc and that is worth the additional prize support.
It is something that is obvious at the FNM level, I don't know why wizards doesn't feel the same for large events.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

eSporks posted:

It was meant to be a rhetorical. A FNM paying out 110% shows that they aren't running the event for profit, they see additional value there. It helps to grow their business, attract new customers, and that is worth the additional prize support.
It is something that is obvious at the FNM level, I don't know why wizards doesn't feel the same for large events.

Our store gives out 36 packs total for an 8-man and charges $10/person. 10 people and the prizes are box/3/3/3. They literally lose money on every monthly vintage event they run just from the way they have their prize structure set up. Once they get to the point where they'd break even (16 people) they actually increase the prizes. They do that because it gets people in there, playing, buying singles and sleeves and power and Workshops and whatnot.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

eSporks posted:

It was meant to be a rhetorical. A FNM paying out 110% shows that they aren't running the event for profit, they see additional value there. It helps to grow their business, attract new customers, build loyalty, etc and that is worth the additional prize support.

To be fair, paying out in store credit ensures that they do, in fact, make a profit, although in this case a bit less than if people were to buy the cards/packs outright. Still, I agree with what you are saying, it's ridiculous that it's literally better EV to play in an FNM than a GP.

PT Vancouver is next weekend and I was thinking about going to watch. How do PT side events compare to GP side events? I can't find any information about whether there will be drafts going on all day, or any scheduled events. Wizards' site just says that "spectators are welcome" and that information about vendors will be posted soon.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

eSporks posted:

They're basically selling cards at 10% off, but they're running events that bring people in and they make up that 10% off of sleeves, snacks, etc, plus they create demand for the cards they sell.

For GPs they're giving out cash and the notion of paying out store credit numbers would actually suck.

Also GPs have way more overhead than this store does. I agree that this store runs their tournaments as a labor of love more than as a business, but they are doing good volume as a result so it works for them (check out Plus EV Games in Orange /formerly packwarz - their new store location is amazing and they comfortably fit 66 people for their PPTQ last weekend with room to spare)

To run weeknight events at this store they basically have a judge/sales clerk working about 80% of the time for the tournament and 20% of the time for managing online stuff. There is sometimes a second guy also helping with the online sales / sorting / etc side of things.

For a GP alone the venue rent is probably a much bigger margin than the venue rent for this property amortized over 30 days (and they're running events most every day of the week). Plus, the staff at a GP is much, much more of an overhead cost.

I totally would like to see GP prizing get kicked up more, don't get me wrong, but the argument to make is not that FNMs at a local store are non-profit so GPs should be able to be run as non-profit events.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

They're basically selling cards at 10% off, but they're running events that bring people in and they make up that 10% off of sleeves, snacks, etc, plus they create demand for the cards they sell.

For GPs they're giving out cash and the notion of paying out store credit numbers would actually suck.

Also GPs have way more overhead than this store does. I agree that this store runs their tournaments as a labor of love more than as a business, but they are doing good volume as a result so it works for them (check out Plus EV Games in Orange /formerly packwarz - their new store location is amazing and they comfortably fit 66 people for their PPTQ last weekend with room to spare)

To run weeknight events at this store they basically have a judge/sales clerk working about 80% of the time for the tournament and 20% of the time for managing online stuff. There is sometimes a second guy also helping with the online sales / sorting / etc side of things.

For a GP alone the venue rent is probably a much bigger margin than the venue rent for this property amortized over 30 days (and they're running events most every day of the week). Plus, the staff at a GP is much, much more of an overhead cost.

I totally would like to see GP prizing get kicked up more, don't get me wrong, but the argument to make is not that FNMs at a local store are non-profit so GPs should be able to be run as non-profit events.

These are good points.

I think part of the problem is that the TO pays for the venue and takes in the entrance fees, while Wizards provides prize support. There's an expectation that the prize support should roughly equal the fees taken in, but in reality they are completely separate at GPs. You are basically helping pay for the venue with your fee, none of it goes into the prize pool, that's all directly from Wizards' marketing department. That creates a disconnect, where the TOs need to charge enough to cover their expenses, while Wizards doesn't want to pay out more than they think the marketing value of a GP is, since they literally gain no other value from it. TOs could charge those not entering in the main event an entrance fee, and reduce the cost of the main event, but I'm not sure how well that would go over. Similarly, they could increase the prices for side events, so that they are charging them for use of the venue in addition to the prize support, but I feel like there would be an outcry there too. I suspect that people are more willing to swallow $60 constructed main events than $20 side drafts. It is interesting, though, that the main event basically carries the burden of covering the venue cost all on its own, I've found side event prices to be pretty comparable to local store events.

At this point, GPs are basically just MtG conventions, which isn't a terrible thing, but it kind of sucks when you have to explain to your non-mtg friends that the biggest tournament in the history of the game, held in Las Vegas, paid out a measly $4k to the winner.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The flip side to is that GPs have started providing playmats and exclusive promos so that $50-$60 fee for the GP is offset by $40 in market value of goodies. Granted the manufacturing costs are much lower so they have a good margin on them but I don't think the value is terribly off, it's just that the prizes are kinda small - winning $2.50/head in a tournament is not very exciting when I can win $1.50 a head at my FNM.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Interesting Twitter argument happening right now among some pro players. Ari Lax tweeted that he regrets not trainwrecking his last draft at the GP, a draft which Josh Utter-Leyton was a part of, in order to potentially make Josh draft a worse deck. Doing so might have helped out Ari's friend Scott Rudin, who's competing with Josh currently for an At Large spot to the World Championships.

Lots of pros replied that this move seems awful. Ari argued that it's basically the same as refusing to draw for Top 8 to help a friend/teammate claim a spot.

Doing something like this definitely feels somehow more malicious than not drawing for Top 8, but on the other hand, I guess they're close to the same thing. Seems kinda scummy though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They aren't remotely the same thing and anyone who argues that has withered their common sense in the dungeons of nerd WEll Actually,

Refusing to draw is MAYBE ARGUABLY a lack of courtesy but you're giving someone a fighting chance. loving up a draft pod to try to cause someone to lose is significantly closer to fixing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

They aren't remotely the same thing and anyone who argues that has withered their common sense in the dungeons of nerd WEll Actually,

Refusing to draw is MAYBE ARGUABLY a lack of courtesy but you're giving someone a fighting chance. loving up a draft pod to try to cause someone to lose is significantly closer to fixing.

I feel like both instances are bad (though legal), it's just that one is more acceptable than the other. What if instead of refusing to concede the last round, you're already guaranteed a spot in the Top 8 and you get paired up with your friend in the last round, and you yourself immediately concede to get him in the Top 8. That still feels like "fixing" to me, only no one thinks the latter case is as bad because there the only person you're hurting is some nebulous unknown player in contention for Top 8 whereas here you're deliberately gunning to hurt a specific person.

Granted, I'm not defending what Ari suggested. I think that's a super lovely move as well.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think that the colossal world of difference is that the other player had bad luck but was otherwise in control of their fate up until that last pairing goes up. If you specifically tank a draft pod for a t8 you're tremendously loving up the results of the tournament.

edit: neither case is remotely similar beyond "they are legal" and this feels like weird pedantic nerd disingenuous arguing, not from you qbert, but from the community. These seems insane to me.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 27, 2015

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Was there someone who kicked rear end at FNM with The Great Aurora? I was wondering what deck list you used for that. I just want to run Warp World in standard.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So, how would one download this? Asking for a friend.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My local store has a weird modern meta going on.

We have 4+ infect(three gb, one bug), 2 zombie decks, one burn deck(me), one amulet bloom deck(me), 2 soul sisters decks(one of them me), 2 goblins decks(one of them me), 3 variants of tron, two affinity, one merfolk, one elves, 2 green Stompy(one ramp, one traditional(me)), one living end(me), one GW hatebears, one the Rock(goyfliliobliterators), one Junk(goyfliliobliterators bob)(last three the same guy, who used to run one of the affinity decks until I showed up with a sideboard geared against affinity), 2 Grixis delver, one boggles, and a bunch of kids running stuff put together from their collections.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

qbert posted:

Interesting Twitter argument happening right now among some pro players. Ari Lax tweeted that he regrets not trainwrecking his last draft at the GP, a draft which Josh Utter-Leyton was a part of, in order to potentially make Josh draft a worse deck. Doing so might have helped out Ari's friend Scott Rudin, who's competing with Josh currently for an At Large spot to the World Championships.

Lots of pros replied that this move seems awful. Ari argued that it's basically the same as refusing to draw for Top 8 to help a friend/teammate claim a spot.

Doing something like this definitely feels somehow more malicious than not drawing for Top 8, but on the other hand, I guess they're close to the same thing. Seems kinda scummy though.

These little tidbits is what makes this thread good. This is hilarious and I would try it if I could help a friend out but the thought of arguing with fellow grand wizards is what makes it magical. :allears:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am pretty sure Ari just posted the hypothetical to seem cool and badass and to promote some sort of "look at you hypocrites!!!" nerd garbage actually

edit: "Why? I am making a legal tactical decision to directly benefit my team in a zero sum way."

Yep. Busted. Moving on.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 27, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's not explicitly against the rules to hire someone to kidnap a magic pros dog, ERGO is it not within the legal rule NAY is it not ESSENTIALLY ENCOURAGED to pay criminals to burn down the house of your opponent during a t8 draft

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

It's not explicitly against the rules to hire someone to kidnap a magic pros dog, ERGO is it not within the legal rule NAY is it not ESSENTIALLY ENCOURAGED to pay criminals to burn down the house of your opponent during a t8 draft

Actually there is an explicit rule against those things, those examples fall under Unsporting Conduct.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

Actually there is an explicit rule against those things, those examples fall under Unsporting Conduct.

Intentionally loving up a draft pod does too, actually.

edit: this is literally rules pedantry and the reason Ari didn't actually do it is that he knows he would have been punished and is trying to :smug:

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 27, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

qbert posted:

If after I make a winning play I jump to my feet, scream "Yeah" at the top of my lungs for an extended period of time, then run around doing the trumpet dance

Would this count as Unsporting Conduct? Asking for a friend.

rabidsquid posted:

edit: this is literally rules pedantry and the reason Ari didn't actually do it is that he knows he would have been punished and is trying to :smug:

If I actually used twitter I would ask him if he's actually that bad at drafting that he feels the need to excuse the next time he makes a crap deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

qbert posted:

Smelling like poo poo does too but it's tolerated so here we are.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I tanked my opponents draft by hiring out the hotel rooms next to him and playing Cher's "Believe" at maximum volume all night. It's okay, I did it so a buddy would get into the top 8.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lancelot posted:

I tanked my opponents draft by hiring out the hotel rooms next to him and playing Cher's "Believe" at maximum volume all night. It's okay, I did it so a buddy would get into the top 8.

So now he's on his way to a pro tour after winning a GP from being inspired the night before. Good choice.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Onmi posted:

If after I make a winning play I jump to my feet, scream "Yeah" at the top of my lungs for an extended period of time, then run around doing the trumpet dance

Surely that's a trombone dance

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Just tilt your opponents Lawrence Taylor style.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Has the U/B Thopters list from this weekend been posted anywhere?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Has the U/B Thopters list from this weekend been posted anywhere?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=88236

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3enxsv/all_standards_idea_for_a_new_format/

This popped up on my Tumblr feed, it seems like an interesting idea. Their banlist seems odd, but I presume that with the exception of Stoneforge it'd just be cards that were banned in their own Standards.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Serperoth posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3enxsv/all_standards_idea_for_a_new_format/

This popped up on my Tumblr feed, it seems like an interesting idea. Their banlist seems odd, but I presume that with the exception of Stoneforge it'd just be cards that were banned in their own Standards.

Can still play CawBlade.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Serperoth posted:

All we need is yet another format.

mcmagic posted:

That deck is super impressive. Liliana is just insane in that shell.

With regionals coming up this weekend I am finding it very difficult to figure out a way to sideboard against this loving deck. Tormod's crypt? Hushwing gryff? loving stain the mind or infinite obliteration? I feel like anger and hand destruction has some value. Just seems like too flexible of a deck right now and there isn't enough time to figure it out.

I know the guy who won the open played against jim davis last round of swiss and put him out of the top 8. I wonder how that match went?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I want to play that Rally deck at Regionals but I feel like I'm going to gently caress up playing it.... SOOO many triggers

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
The only answer is to play Turbofog.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Serperoth posted:

Stoneforge was also banned in Standard

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Stoneforge was also banned in Standard

It mentions that it's only banned along with Mirrodin block (not even Scars) which I find odd. Didn't know that it was banned though. :downs:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If I have an Anafenza the Foremost in play and my opponent's Jace, Telepath Unbound dies, it gets exiled, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
that doesn't seem like it will work great what with standard having inconsistent power level

• Locked thread