Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
literally no one gives a drat about me wearing flight deck boots in SD and I love it cause they are basically slippers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you want to make O6 you have to pay more to drill than you make due to travel and the way that commands are distributed*. If you're happy as a terminal O4, you can stay local and get the retirement.

*Reserve SWO is really undermanned but it's still hard to find good billets because they're all at fleet centers and people want to leave those shitholes. So they have a bunch of open billets in a few spots and a lot of guys looking for work everywhere else. Go Navy.

Does the Reserves become more like an actual career if you want to be on the up and up for reserve career? How do people make admiral in the reserves while commanding multiple reserve units while still making CEO in a corporate career?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Howard Phillips posted:

Does the Reserves become more like an actual career if you want to be on the up and up for reserve career? How do people make admiral in the reserves while commanding multiple reserve units while still making CEO in a corporate career?

There is that one admiral who works for Boston scientific as head of corporate security.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Cerekk posted:

figure out if there's anyone at your command that outranks you and is a dumbshit with nothing better to do

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

If you're the kind of rear end kissing useless body that can make admiral, you can probably do pretty well in the corporate world.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you're the kind of rear end kissing useless body that can make admiral, you can probably do pretty well in the corporate world.

:drat: somebody's pretty cynical. Not hating just noting.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Null Integer posted:

Any cool deployment stories from this time around? Or "The command went full retard" stories?

Well, it was my first ship deployment (i.e. not on subs) and I could never be on a ship... I would go back to a sub, but nothing beats being a ship rider. "General Quarters? Guess I will just keep on wiping up this oil or maybe go to my rack."

The command has a GM1 and GM2 that are engaged. The whole command knows about it, but is perfectly okay with it. Seems to go against every mando training I have ever had.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Isn't fraternization only for O to E and everything else is just command policy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Frat is O to E, E to senior E, and 2 E's in the same chain of command, I.E. 2 E's both in WEPS. Really you don't want to hook up with anyone on your ship anyways in the military anyways because why would you do that to yourself, if poo poo goes sour you can't request a transfer and you sure as gently caress aren't going to be able to avoid them for long.

E: It most certainly includes 2 Os in the same chain of command too. Basically don't poo poo where you eat. Don't gently caress anyone in the military it turns into an ugly mess always.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 26, 2015

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Gonna need you to get going on that fraternization gmt.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

orange juche posted:

Frat is O to E, E to senior E, and 2 E's in the same chain of command, I.E. 2 E's both in WEPS. Really you don't want to hook up with anyone on your ship anyways in the military anyways because why would you do that to yourself, if poo poo goes sour you can't request a transfer and you sure as gently caress aren't going to be able to avoid them for long.

E: It most certainly includes 2 Os in the same chain of command too. Basically don't poo poo where you eat. Don't gently caress anyone in the military it turns into an ugly mess always.

Not by instruction. O and E. Khakis, really, because Chiefs are mentioned, too. Not that I don't agree with you, but the instruction is the only thing that matters, really.

I went up for frat as an STG1. With an FC1. Dropped at COs mast because the CO knew I would appeal to his boss and I would win and he would probably lose his job. He hated me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Not by instruction. O and E. Khakis, really, because Chiefs are mentioned, too. Not that I don't agree with you, but the instruction is the only thing that matters, really.

I went up for frat as an STG1. With an FC1. Dropped at COs mast because the CO knew I would appeal to his boss and I would win and he would probably lose his job. He hated me.

It may not be by instruction but it's highly discouraged between people in the same division/department/command, but that's more likely a livability thing if the aforementioned relationship sours. Definitely Khaki/Blueshirt is frat though. Personally i always recommend to not gently caress someone at the same command, it just ends badly 99% of the time, I've seen the fallout of that too many times.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

b. Personal relationships between Chief Petty Officers (E-7
to E-9) and junior personnel (E-1 to E-6), who are assigned to
the same command, which are unduly familiar and that do not
respect differences in grade or rank are prohibited. Likewise,
personal relationships which are unduly familiar between
staff/instructor and student personnel within Navy training
commands, and between recruiting personnel and prospects,
applicants, or Delayed Entry Program (DEP) personnel that do not
respect differences in grade, rank, or the staff/student
relationship are prohibited. A prospect becomes an applicant
when processing for enlistment or appointment in any of the Armed
Forces by beginning to complete a DD Form 1966, NAVCRUIT 1100/11,
or comparable form. Such relationships are prejudicial to good
order and discipline and violate long-standing traditions of the
naval service.
c. When prejudicial to good order or of a nature to bring
discredit on the naval service, personal relationships between
officer members or between enlisted members which are unduly
familiar and that do not respect differences in grade or rank are
prohibited.
Prejudice to good order and discipline or discredit
to the naval service may result from, but are not limited to,
circumstances which:
(1) call into question a senior's objectivity;
(2) result in actual or apparent preferential treatment;
(3) undermine the authority of a senior; or
(4) compromise the chain of command.

Even if that FC1 was a Weapons type and not Combat Systems it probably would have had a hard time holding up.

I agree with orange juche though, it's probably a bad idea to poo poo where you eat, I've had plenty of COs make us all sign page 13s saying we won't date anyone at the command.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

gently caress the Navy isn't fraternizing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

gently caress the Navy

QTIYD

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

PneumonicBook posted:

b. Personal relationships between Chief Petty Officers (E-7
to E-9) and junior personnel (E-1 to E-6), who are assigned to
the same command, which are unduly familiar and that do not
respect differences in grade or rank are prohibited. Likewise,
personal relationships which are unduly familiar between
staff/instructor and student personnel within Navy training
commands, and between recruiting personnel and prospects,
applicants, or Delayed Entry Program (DEP) personnel that do not
respect differences in grade, rank, or the staff/student
relationship are prohibited. A prospect becomes an applicant
when processing for enlistment or appointment in any of the Armed
Forces by beginning to complete a DD Form 1966, NAVCRUIT 1100/11,
or comparable form. Such relationships are prejudicial to good
order and discipline and violate long-standing traditions of the
naval service.
c. When prejudicial to good order or of a nature to bring
discredit on the naval service, personal relationships between
officer members or between enlisted members which are unduly
familiar and that do not respect differences in grade or rank are
prohibited.
Prejudice to good order and discipline or discredit
to the naval service may result from, but are not limited to,
circumstances which:
(1) call into question a senior's objectivity;
(2) result in actual or apparent preferential treatment;
(3) undermine the authority of a senior; or
(4) compromise the chain of command.

Even if that FC1 was a Weapons type and not Combat Systems it probably would have had a hard time holding up.

I agree with orange juche though, it's probably a bad idea to poo poo where you eat, I've had plenty of COs make us all sign page 13s saying we won't date anyone at the command.

Today is the day GIP died as instructions where quoted in the Navy thread.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Null Integer posted:

Not the first time. Won't be the last time.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Not the first time. Won't be the last time.

Yes, as people don't read, don't understand, and don't follow written word. Also, most almost certainly don't follow the spirit of rules. :chiefsay:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Null Integer posted:

:chiefsay: So you're saying you don't have eDIVO on your phone?

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
I can't wait to see a bunch of khakis arguing over which ranks in the navy can have sex with other ranks. Can somebody make a matrix when you've settled it?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

:chiefsay: So you're saying you don't have eDIVO on your phone?

Google wouldn't let me download it because I wasn't noble enough, and then suggested I get back to cleaning.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Null Integer posted:

Google wouldn't let me download it because I wasn't noble enough, and then suggested I get back to cleaning.

Working as intended.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Seqenenra posted:

I can't wait to see a bunch of khakis arguing over which ranks in the navy can have sex with other ranks. Can somebody make a matrix when you've settled it?

take your rank, divide it by 2, then add 7

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Davethulhu posted:

take your rank, divide it by 2, then add 7

:lol:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
GiPPERS 6-9.0.1.a
- No poster shall know regulations for purpose of citing in service related thread unless possessing GiP MOD approved "human being Chit"

bengy81
May 8, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

GiPPERS 6-9.0.1.a
- No poster shall know regulations for purpose of citing in service related thread unless possessing GiP MOD approved "human being Chit"

This is the navy thread, it's already known that every poor soul who posts in here is in possession of said chit.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

GiPPERS 6-9.0.1.a

"Chief, my human being Chit has been at Dept level for over a month, I thought it was ok if I just did it anyway cuz it was gonna get approved right?"

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
much like getting tattoos, lol if you actually submit chits that aren't leave or frocking

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

much like getting tattoos, lol if you actually submit chits that aren't leave or frocking

I got a chit in for special liberty today and was very confused. We're on shore duty just ask me and 9 times out of 10 I'll let you have the day off.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

I got a chit in for special liberty today and was very confused. We're on shore duty just ask me and 9 times out of 10 I'll let you have the day off.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
People still check out with me just because I made first. I'm not in charge of anything.

If your poo poo is done, and your civilian boss is chill, I really don't care. Go home. They don't give the military members anything important anyway because we're always out at bake sales or something.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

People still check out with me just because I made first. I'm not in charge of anything.

If your poo poo is done, and your civilian boss is chill, I really don't care. Go home. They don't give the military members anything important anyway because we're always out at bake sales or something.

Same here, I have no control over you and your liberty, why are you asking me? Happens at least 3 times a week.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I tried to route a chit for special liberty (on the weekend. My mom was coming in town and I had to be absolutely sure I wouldn't get duty-hosed because they kept on changing the schedule). My chief told me it was going to be all right and I didn't need a chit. Come Sunday I was getting a call asking why I wasn't in for duty.

Gee, its a mystery why I didn't stay in.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Had a department head notorious for sitting on leave chits because she didn't want the CO to know she was a bitch who would basically negatively endorse all leave chits.

She's the same one who believed she could see ghosts and was masted in Iraq for drinking.

I guess she wasn't cool hot enough to get an invite to the FBI bar.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Squadron Duty Officer Log Records Events of Forrestal Fire

Interesting read. Today is the anniversary of the fire and this was posted on the Naval Aviation Museum facebook feed.

Things I Hope I Never Have To Write In A Log Book posted:

“Magazine warning. Officers and SDO abandon Ready Room Three and moved forward and up to hangar deck.”

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Glad to see that no log book was safe from the watch stander's boredom, even back then. Wonder what other doodles were on the inside.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well, I notice they didn't post full pictures of the pages on their site. I assume the thought process went something like:

"Okay, we've got a priceless piece of Naval Aviation history here. There's just one tiny problem. The opposite page from the previous day has what appears to be a drawing of, let's be honest, a truly magnificent cock poking Jane Fonda in the eye. I think we need to go with just the cropped photos."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
And let's be honest: in 1967 it's a pretty good bet that they were smoking weed on the fantail at least before and after watch.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

germskr posted:

Glad to see that no log book was safe from the watch stander's boredom, even back then. Wonder what other doodles were on the inside.

I love that the only thing in this picture that tells you that this isn't a log from an active ship is the poorly scrawled date at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

germskr posted:

My section leaders were total dicks about it if I drew in the logbook on watch >:/

BT

quick question,
What's the name of the ditty that plays 5 minutes before Reville? I can only remember it as the "5 minute warning" song but I know it has to have a formal name. It's the one that's the "starters to your posts" tune they play on racetracks.

• Locked thread