Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

This quote stood out to me. I wonder what constituted "electronic media" in that time (unless that just means televised news).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Not too long ago, Two Bulls lost his staff cartoonist job because print media is folding everywhere. It's not surprising he has some opinions about technology and changing trends.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ZDar Fan posted:

This quote stood out to me. I wonder what constituted "electronic media" in that time (unless that just means televised news).
Yes, it means news from NBC, CBS and ABC.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

crosshatch posted:

Johnny Hart's been dead since 2007. It's written by his grandson and the art is slapped together out of old drawings by a studio.

Actually, he does draw new artwork on the strip whenever he can, not exclusively recycled art.

That said, even when Johnny Hart was alive he reused old art. All those strips with "Wiley's Dictionary", for example? He just xeroxed a blank template and wrote new words on it. A cartoonist I follow on Facebook said he saw Hart say that during a cartoon conference. He said it made his job "a heckuva lot easier". I even saw a really old "Wizard of Id" strip from the 1960s that reused the same art, with different dialogues, at least 2 times (it showed up on two different books I happened to own).

Berke Breathed is another cartoonist who copied and pasted a lot. He would take a pose from one panel, xerox it, and glue it to the rest of the strip, with tweaks if necessary. Here's a scan of one strip directly from the original: look at panels 3 and 4. You can see what parts he xeroxed, and where he drew stuff:

Many people presume that copying and pasting art in comics was something that was only happened when Photoshop was created, but cartoonists did that even before computers became common.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 27, 2015

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Samurai Sanders posted:

"This hanger is perfect" seems almost like avatar material to me.

This hanger! It was made for me!

pwn posted:

Yes, it means news from NBC, CBS and ABC.

Not to forget radio.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 27, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Two Bulls never would have struck me as part of the SOME GIZMO crowd, but here we are.

Well he is in his 50's.

TVs Patrick Duffy
Dec 12, 2006
Pick something difficult. You know, hard to mock or whatever.
I've been meaning to get around to an effortpost postulating that Two Bulls is not A Good One but is in fact A Bad One but :effort:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TVs Patrick Duffy posted:

I've been meaning to get around to an effortpost postulating that Two Bulls is not A Good One but is in fact A Bad One but :effort:
Is this like actual examples or just because he's been doing some Old Man Cartoons lately? Because honestly life would be pretty awesome if Good Cartoonists just declined into tepid "some gizmos" comics and not "blacks are feral dogs" like Oliphant.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He didn't die a hero, so we watch him become a Tinsley. :ohdear:

Whoa, whoa there. Two Bulls might be in a bit of a low phase right now, but let's not go nuts here. The guys got decades of laziness and DUIs to go before he becomes a Tinsley.

Also fukken :lol: at that Huber guy, yep people sure are buying chastity belts in 1384 Y.Z. because they want to have less sex.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oliphant got better from that. Remember the one about the mother sending her son off to school?

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Fulchrum posted:

Oliphant got better from that. Remember the one about the mother sending her son off to school?

Mr. Game and Watch no :ohdear:
Also I like the message but did it really have to be a racist caricature of a black woman? (big lips, what Oliphant thinks are "ebonics," etc.)

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Same tepid joke everyone else made, two weeks later.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

cheetah7071 posted:

Heck, Rick and Morty did it best a good year before

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

nerd plus rage posted:

Mr. Game and Watch no :ohdear:
Also I like the message but did it really have to be a racist caricature of a black woman? (big lips, what Oliphant thinks are "ebonics," etc.)
Alongside the art style, it sorta helps set up the expectation that the last panel is going to be something about how modern black parents need to raise their kids better, like back in the day, instead of letting them become "thugs". Basically a comic showing black parents how to be responsible. When the last panel is then "replaced" with one portraying the police being an almost mundane menace to the black community, where the admonition of "watch out for traffic" is replaced with "watch out for cops", it turns expectations on their head and changes the message to "being a "responsible black parent" means warning your kids about the police (and always did)".

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

crosshatch posted:

Johnny Hart's been dead since 2007. It's written by his grandson and the art is slapped together out of old drawings by a studio.

I looked at his Wiki entry and read, "age 76" without noticing that it's the age when he died. Thanks for that, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the Hart tree?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Someone should really put together a collection of "this is what's finally going to finish off Bill and/or Hillary Clinton" cartoons. It would probably make a nice coffee table book but might be a danger to feet and pets if dropped.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alongside the art style, it sorta helps set up the expectation that the last panel is going to be something about how modern black parents need to raise their kids better, like back in the day, instead of letting them become "thugs". Basically a comic showing black parents how to be responsible. When the last panel is then "replaced" with one portraying the police being an almost mundane menace to the black community, where the admonition of "watch out for traffic" is replaced with "watch out for cops", it turns expectations on their head and changes the message to "being a "responsible black parent" means warning your kids about the police (and always did)".
That, and the minimalist nature means a less stereotypical woman may look just like the shadow of any woman, instead of making it clear this is just something the African American community has to deal with.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

King Dopplepopolos posted:

While I was sorting some of my late dad's old stuff, I found an old Doonesbury compilation; I think it's the first one, since it has strips from 1970 - 1975. I intended to scan some of the pages, but my scanner is kaput; I had to take pictures of the pages with my camera.

Here's the first two strips that appear.

Here's a Sunday strip from a post-Nixon commencement address.

And here are some other political strips.

Doonesbury is boring, lazy poo poo. Copy-pasted talking buildings, and a self-insert talking about all the pussy he's getting -- Muir or Trudeau?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Alpha House is the best thing Trudeau has ever done.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Sometimes I want to do an effort-post involving all the ways in which you can tell that "Day by Day" really loving wants to be "Doonesbury."

Cat Mattress posted:

Doonesbury is boring, lazy poo poo. Copy-pasted talking buildings, and a self-insert talking about all the pussy he's getting -- Muir or Trudeau?

The difference is that, aside from those two introductory strips in which Mike is clearly a goddamned goober, Mike will go on to spend the better part of the '70s as a dumpster fire, and will eventually get into a disastrous first marriage. Mike doesn't have an unequivocal win on his books, romantically or otherwise, until the '90s when Trudeau seemingly takes pity on him, moves him to Seattle, and lets him have a relatively uncomplicated relationship with Kim.

One thing I do think is odd about early "Doonesbury" is the reuse of most or all of the panels in a given strip, which Trudeau keeps doing right up until the post-break period in the mid-80s, and it's often obvious that he's redrawing each panel identically by hand for some drat reason. Breathed does the same thing in early "Bloom County," which one would expect since early "Bloom County" basically is early "Doonesbury."

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cat Mattress posted:

None of those buildings are copy-pasted. :colbert:

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm surprised he missed a chance to make a joke about Pluto identifying as a planet.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Anyone feel like doing a "Free Jonny Pollard" megapost since he might get out this year?

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011
It may be awfully petty, but I suppose I'm not the only one who doesn't want Johnathan Pollard released, partly out of spite towards Kirschen?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sardine Wit posted:

I'm surprised he missed a chance to make a joke about Pluto identifying as a planet.

It's only Monday, give him time.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

It may be awfully petty, but I suppose I'm not the only one who doesn't want Johnathan Pollard released, partly out of spite towards Kirschen?

He's a shithead so no.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

I'm more hoping he doesn't get released cause he's an unrepentant traitor.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm glad somebody said it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Guess what's back after a two-year hiatus!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Unforgivable. Cut his throat in front of his family.

To be fair it was once bannable not to read the thread. It's not too much to ask to get people to read a page before, even someone who contributes a lot like Beegs.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

These are all great but this one is amazing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

Today is already a good day.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
It's http://politicalpbf.tumblr.com by the way for anyone who doesn't recognize it from the last election cycle.

Some highlights from back in the day:

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

alnilam posted:

I'm glad somebody said it.

I'm not, I've heard "I goon I edgy and contrarian" before, multiple times.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I don't think it's particularly edgy, I think there's a healthy majority of people who think it's really boring. It's fine if you like it, but my god is it ever :words:

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Not liking Doonsebury is understandable, but going so far as to place it anywhere near Day by Day in terms of quality is patent bullshit and goony as gently caress.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just a reminder that when Johnny Hart died, Tinsley used his death as opportunity to get a sick burn in on Doonesbury:

Jesus Christ

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

:australia:

COAG is when the state governments and the federal government meet and tells each other how's it going to be.

"On Water" refers to the current government's policy of dealing with boatloads of refugees by not telling anyone about them.

Bruce Petty on the Iran/America deal

Matt Davidson on your dreams tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

seiferguy posted:

Just a reminder that when Johnny Hart died, Tinsley used his death as opportunity to get a sick burn in on Doonesbury:

:confused: That's not a sick burn on Doonesbury, unless you count him equating it to his own cartoon.

• Locked thread