Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's what I mean. It's when they seem to demand that we go back to that while still retaining advanced technology, free-market liberalism, etc, when those are the things that actively undermine things like slavery and absolute monarchy. From what I've seen, they can't seem to grasp that social structures are, in fact, products of socio-economic circumstance.
Have I got news for you.

Contemporary capitalism loves slavery. Arguably, without strong labor rights protections in place, it's what industry considers the ideal worker.

Sure, feudalism and other social structures aren't compatible with modernity. But a whole lot of horrifying stuff is very compatible with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

And yet he's making a very clumsy cultural materialist argument about social organization.

Reinventing Marxism to fight Marxism. :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Gladney posted:

Does this boob know that hundreds of historians have already said this far better and more completely, and without the mistakes? Ego and native intelligence makes you dumb as hell.

He's just trying to engage them on their level.

Curvature of Earth posted:

Have I got news for you.

Contemporary capitalism loves slavery. Arguably, without strong labor rights protections in place, it's what industry considers the ideal worker.

Sure, feudalism and other social structures aren't compatible with modernity. But a whole lot of horrifying stuff is very compatible with it.

i was going to include a snide aside about just this, but I thought it was kind of self-evident.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

As far as I can tell, Scott has just kinda bought into the idea that all non-hard sciences are contaminated by far-leftists who wish only to prove Marx right about everything.

Scott seems to talk about social science stuff a lot, actually. He definitely does have a tendency to reinvent philosophical wheels, though, which is surprising because I believe philosophy was his college major.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Step 1: throw away all social sciences and humanities as leftist/Cultural Marxist non-sciences.

Step 2: discover eventually that hard sciences are really ill-suited for explaining social concepts and historical patterns

Step 3: graft a bunch of strained metaphysical kludge onto what you think of as "science"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

The singulatarian community is similar to the zombie apocalypse fandom. Much of the original work is about the anxieties of modern civilization. Singulatarian stories often have themes revolving around dehumanisation of society by technology, and social stresses that form through contradictions between optimal behaviours and humanity's biological predispositions. Zombie apocalypse stories are often about the revelations of the true nature of individuals in the face of a crisis. Protagonists are only in the position they are in due to blind luck: one misstep and they lose their life and individuality. From this unprepared baseline, good men can go bad.

In both forms of literature, "fans" take one look at the scenarios, and think to themselves "I really hope all these awful events take place, because in my arrogance I'm sure I'd always make the Correct Decisions". They strip out all the interesting parts of the settings, all the anxieties, and replace them with power fantasies.

Back in 9th grade CAD class my teacher made the whole class stop learning CAD for a week to instead research and do a report on the singularity and Kurzweil and that stuff and even back then when I had no idea what he was talking about after some cursory research I was like "uhh assuming these graphs will increase exponentially forever is a bad assumption especially since here's some other graphs that leveled off" and he just did one of those "yeah well that's like, your opinion, mannnn" and I got a B on it.

OK thanks for listening to my dumb highschool story everyone :downs:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Back in 9th grade CAD class my teacher made the whole class stop learning CAD for a week to instead research and do a report on the singularity and Kurzweil and that stuff and even back then when I had no idea what he was talking about after some cursory research I was like "uhh assuming these graphs will increase exponentially forever is a bad assumption especially since here's some other graphs that leveled off" and he just did one of those "yeah well that's like, your opinion, mannnn" and I got a B on it.

OK thanks for listening to my dumb highschool story everyone :downs:
i'm generally a mild-mannered human being and don't wish ill on anyone, including on those whose ideas I find distasteful or dangerous, but I really really wish for Ray kurzweil to die. Like, at all, ever. For all I care, may the gods make it so that he's actually 99% right and we will all be uplifted by 2031. But please make Ray kurzweil die by 2030 then.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

neonnoodle posted:

Step 1: throw away all social sciences and humanities as leftist/Cultural Marxist non-sciences.

Step 2: discover eventually that hard sciences are really ill-suited for explaining social concepts and historical patterns

Step 3: graft a bunch of strained metaphysical kludge onto what you think of as "science"

Well yeah. I mean, those people are idiots who don't think IQ is heritable, and don't accept basic facts clear to anyone studying history, such as the existence of Cthulhu.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

Polybius91 posted:

What the hell is with these guys' obsession with cuckoldry?

Sorry to jump back a bit, but in addition to what others posted, I found this comment on a "ask/debate a leftist" forum interesting. The poster talked about cuckolding and someone asked about "the right's" obsession with it. So here's another take:

quote:

He's drawing a parallel between a white man who doesn't mind his country being invaded by brown people and a white man who doesn't mind his wife being invaded by brown people. He is suggesting that what they have in common is that they're both engaging in self-shaming for the crime of being a white man, and is asking if you think it's possible that what draws people to get into cuckolding is the same underlying psychology that leads people to be pro-immigration.

Also this:

Phobophilia posted:

The singulatarian community is similar to the zombie apocalypse fandom. Much of the original work is about the anxieties of modern civilization. Singulatarian stories often have themes revolving around dehumanisation of society by technology, and social stresses that form through contradictions between optimal behaviours and humanity's biological predispositions. Zombie apocalypse stories are often about the revelations of the true nature of individuals in the face of a crisis. Protagonists are only in the position they are in due to blind luck: one misstep and they lose their life and individuality. From this unprepared baseline, good men can go bad.

In both forms of literature, "fans" take one look at the scenarios, and think to themselves "I really hope all these awful events take place, because in my arrogance I'm sure I'd always make the Correct Decisions". They strip out all the interesting parts of the settings, all the anxieties, and replace them with power fantasies.

is brilliant. Plus it also explains a lot of what is just wrong with fan fiction in general.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
That Harpers article is brilliant, though it's in a hard to share format. I hope somebody sends a copy to Mike Judge, since there's enough material there for a whole season of Silicon Valley. I think Peter Gregory was based on Peter Theil?

I just to be into transhumanism and cryogenics. It's just a nerd's way of dealing with the fear of death.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Count Chocula posted:

That Harpers article is brilliant, though it's in a hard to share format. I hope somebody sends a copy to Mike Judge, since there's enough material there for a whole season of Silicon Valley. I think Peter Gregory was based on Peter Theil?

I just to be into transhumanism and cryogenics. It's just a nerd's way of dealing with the fear of death.

This one?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

No, this one, mirrored here.

In other news, "cuckservative" goes mainstream. Congratulations to the memetic engineers of the alt-right! When Erick Erickson calls you a racist, you might be dogwhistling in basso profundo.

divabot has a new favorite as of 08:54 on Jul 27, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This "cuck" thing is absolutely dominated by a racist angle from what I can tell? It's not fear of some guy loving your possession, it's fear of the superior and superiorly endowed black doing it?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think cuck is a hilarious word and the fact that it pushes so many psychological buttons in some people who screech it constantly and others who are affected by it is even more hilarious.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

divabot posted:

No, this one, mirrored here.

In other news, "cuckservative" goes mainstream. Congratulations to the memetic engineers of the alt-right! When Erick Erickson calls you a racist, you might be dogwhistling in basso profundo.

The comments under that article are insane. Isn't New Republic supposed to be a respectable right-wing rag?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

I think cuck is a hilarious word and the fact that it pushes so many psychological buttons in some people who screech it constantly and others who are affected by it is even more hilarious.
I honestly still haven't figured out if the majority of these people is more aroused or frightened of the idea of a black guy loving their wives.

Jack Gladney posted:

The comments under that article are insane. Isn't New Republic supposed to be a respectable right-wing rag?
Comment sections are universally awful. I am sure if somebody put the Philosophical Investigations online and gave them a comments option, somebody would start denying the Holocaust in all but 30 seconds time.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Comment sections are universally awful. I am sure if somebody put the Philosophical Investigations online and gave them a comments option, somebody would start denying the Holocaust in all but 30 seconds time.

It's one of the most meaningless noise-producing things you can do on the internet. I sort of wonder why websites even bother including it any more.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

People are inclined to think of content they can't respond to directly as spam.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Political Whores posted:

It's one of the most meaningless noise-producing things you can do on the internet. I sort of wonder why websites even bother including it any more.

It gives the readers the impression that their opinion matters in some way while also being utterly irrelevant. See also: facebook-likes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Count Chocula posted:

Whatever happened to atheists just putting on their big boy pants and accepting the inevitability and finality of death? We're made of meat and we'll die. Even robot gods would eventually die (second law of thermodynamics), it would just take them longer.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Yudkowsky believes that robot god will find a loophole to thermodynamics to allow for truly eternal life, and that it will be able to look into the past and reconstruct a perfect simulation of a person by reading their forum posts so that no-one has to die for good even if they stop living before the singularity hits. I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

And where, exactly, is the energy for this simulation going to come from if the universe is near heat death? There is no "loophole" to that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The robot is really smart and bayesian and will defeat entropy, because when Yud says he doesn't want to die he doesn't mean he wants to live a very long time - no, it's Deathist defeatism and treason against humanity to ever accept the inevitability of death.

Heat death is unacceptable.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Mike Anissimov of More RIght fame has gotten into another twitter slapfight

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

massive spider posted:

People are inclined to think of content they can't respond to directly as spam.

echochamber.js - the perfect comment system! I particularly commend to you issue #11.

Mike Anissimov of More RIght fame has gotten into another twitter slapfight

To be fair, Anissimov is the most terminally humorless motherfucker ever to breathe. That said, he insists on repainting that bullseye on his forehead every time it gets blasted off.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

echochamber.js - the perfect comment system! I particularly commend to you issue #11.

To be fair, Anissimov is the most terminally humorless motherfucker ever to breathe. That said, he insists on repainting that bullseye on his forehead every time it gets blasted off.

Some parts of the dark enlightenment have kicked him out for that, and preferring old-fashioned racism to a new, speculative, space-racism.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

And where, exactly, is the energy for this simulation going to come from if the universe is near heat death? There is no "loophole" to that.

Something something black hole event horizon something time dilation.

(it's actually a Real Science Idea I've seen put forth before that could allow a simulation to run for near-infinite time in finite space using finite energy but it was a thought experiment and I'm sure these guys missed that part)

EDIT: I have just been told that that's the plot to Interstellar, I haven't seen it so I had no idea

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
BTW, the guy Anissimov is arguing with on Twitter is the guy who wrote that New Republic article.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Whatever happened to atheists just putting on their big boy pants and accepting the inevitability and finality of death? We're made of meat and we'll die. Even robot gods would eventually die (second law of thermodynamics), it would just take them longer.

I don't know but I would like to hear opinions on it, too. It's not just Yudkowsky, although he is the main offender.

Ed: I guess we are talking about atheists/rationalists or whatever but this also seems to be a prominent part of the psychology of people on the extreme right. There is a correlation between thanatophobia and racism, for example.

Weldon Pemberton has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Jul 27, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How do they feel about time travel? That seems more aligned with their interests than robot bodies or eternal computers in several key ways.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Jack Gladney posted:

How do they feel about time travel? That seems more aligned with their interests than robot bodies or eternal computers in several key ways.

They're more likely to try and min-max the British Empire than do something noble like, I don't know, vaccinate the Native Americans against smallpox or something.

I feel like there's this weird gap between rationalist/DE nerds who would use time travel to make bad things more efficiently evil, versus other nerds who would, say, make the United States use a unicameral mixed member proportional representation parliamentary system in 1787 (politics nerds) or build a shitload of rail instead of highways in the 1950s (transit nerds).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Traditional social structures are failing, therefore I must merge my body with the Sandtrout, and live for a hundred thousand years as the Sandworm God-Emperor of a Thousand Stars

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Some parts of the dark enlightenment have kicked him out for that, and preferring old-fashioned racism to a new, speculative, space-racism.

Also for doxxing/making death threats against other DE people, IIRC. Anissimov is nuts.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

Also for doxxing/making death threats against other DE people, IIRC. Anissimov is nuts.

He's such a contrast to the calm sanity of the other members of the Dark Enlightenment.

You'd never catch magic cum guy doing stuff like this.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

You'd never catch magic cum guy doing stuff like this.

... magic cum guy?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

... magic cum guy?

https://storify.com/SJWIlluminati/juicebro-is-loving-nuts

I think the difference is that the manosphere guys are supposed to be unhinged idiots, but Anusimov is part of the intellectual caste.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

https://storify.com/SJWIlluminati/juicebro-is-loving-nuts
I think the difference is that the manosphere guys are supposed to be unhinged idiots, but Anusimov is part of the intellectual caste.

Ah, Cernovich. He's one of the non-gamer members of Gamergate.

The intellectual caste of NRx really doesn't have much to do with Gamergate, which is nice.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Traditional social structures are failing, therefore I must merge my body with the Sandtrout, and live for a hundred thousand years as the Sandworm God-Emperor of a Thousand Stars

Mods please change my name to Sandtrout tyia

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I don't know but I would like to hear opinions on it, too. It's not just Yudkowsky, although he is the main offender.

Ed: I guess we are talking about atheists/rationalists or whatever but this also seems to be a prominent part of the psychology of people on the extreme right. There is a correlation between thanatophobia and racism, for example.

Have you read Ernest Becker's The Denial of Death? He argues that EVERYTHING we do is at its root about controlling the fear of death, something I agree with. I was into brain uploading and 'the Rapture for nerds'; I remember a Spider Robinson series where time traveller would go back in time and upload people into Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/27/im-worried-not-enough-teenagers-are-self-harming/