Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

angel opportunity posted:

Why does this thread have to rehash the pedophile/rape discussion like every 30 pages? It's so ridiculous and dumb. It feels like so many people in this thread are fixated on it rather than just not reading stuff with weird peophile and rape stuff.
Pierses Morgan & Anthony affected some of us at a young age.

Embassytown is excellent though. Great weird alien language/mindset SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Why does this thread have to rehash the pedophile/rape discussion like every 30 pages? It's so ridiculous and dumb. It feels like so many people in this thread are fixated on it rather than just not reading stuff with weird peophile and rape stuff.

I always assume the large percentage of SFF fans who are also into anime are in denial about what this indicates for their own buried desires, so they project and furiously attack more obvious manifestations of the things in their other hobby.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Slithery D posted:

I always assume the large percentage of SFF fans who are also into anime are in denial about what this indicates for their own buried desires, so they project and furiously attack more obvious manifestations of the things in their other hobby.

:eyepop:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

johnsonrod posted:

I'm reading Aurora right now and considering I'm not a huge fan of KSR, I'm actually really enjoying it. I'll be done it in a day or two though and am looking for some sci fi recommendations on what to read next.

I know that's all pretty picky but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Read the Germline series by TC McCarthy, Ian MacDonald's Sacrifice of Fools and River of Gods(his other stuff's probably good as well, I just haven't had a chance to read it yet), Thomas Sweterlitsch's Tomorrow and Tomorrow

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I recently read Ad Astra, a book of short stories by Jack Campbell, the Lost Fleet guy. It was pretty good, overall. A story about how a generation ship's mission might fail, a story about a lovely merchant ship, and at least one story about FTL experiments that felt a bit like knock-off Asimov. Not in a bad way, or a particularly good way, just... "classic"-style SF short fiction. Section Seven and Lady Be Good were my favourites.

I don't think any of it is set in the Lost Fleet setting, and the only space battle is something non-military (and probably in the collection's best story).

I read this immediately before Aurora, which definitely has a different take on generation ships.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 26, 2015

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

thehomemaster posted:

For those who read Aurora, you might appreciate my review :)

http://www.fantasticascifi.com/2015/07/what-were-reading-aurora/

To the man above asking about space stories, yes, The Forever Way, Embassytown and probably Seveneves.

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 26, 2015

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm almost done with the Southern Reach trilogy and look forward to talking about it...but not until I finish it! I think I'm going to read Red Mars or Aurora next...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

savinhill posted:

Read the Germline series by TC McCarthy,

This book is brilliant but also real loving miserable

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 26, 2015

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

RndmCnflct posted:

How many scifi fantasy books include murder... oh, probably all of them. But no, rape is terrible, worse than murder, and authors shouldn't use it in their plots.

Not quite equivalent. To quote from an old grognard thread in response to the same argument:

quote:

The particular fallacy at work here is called a category error, which is to say you're comparing two things that are different enough that a comparison of relative value isn't meaningful, as if you had said "world peace is better than trees" or "I'd rather drive to work in a Buick than in a wet burrito." While it's quite likely better to be a rape survivor than a murder victim in real life, it doesn't follow that stories and role-playing scenarios about rape ought to be less offensive than (or even equally offensive as) stories and role-playing scenarios about murder. There's a reason Agatha Christie wrote murder mysteries rather than rape mysteries, and Angela Lansbury starred in Murder, She Wrote rather than Rape, She Wrote, and that reason isn't patriarchal bias or sexism.

Death or the threat of death, in fiction, fills a number of useful purposes, including increasing dramatic tension by upping the stakes and increasing verisimilitude by upping the realism. An RPG scenario without the threat of death becomes a much tamer event; certainly, there are countless ways of threatening the PCs or NPCs that don't involve potentially killing them, but death is a particularly dramatic threat. Arguably, then, the threat of death is an important ingredient in telling a story.

Rape or the threat of rape, on the other hand, adds not merely to the dramatic tension/realism but changes the entire tone of the story, adding flavors of violation/humiliation/trauma/prurient tones that death alone doesn't do. There are any number of dramatic and exciting stories you can tell without adding rape to the mix, whereas telling a story with no threat of death in it is a very different affair; the two story elements thus belong to entirely different categories.

You're also not going to risk giving a murder victim violent flashbacks, since they're not around to be traumatized, but a rape victim could quite possibly have a real, severe reaction. Which isn't to say everyone should rule it out completely. But it should be considered and not just thrown in for angsty backstory or to give the hero motivation.

The Greatcoats series has some graphic rape that I actually think works in the context of the story. The Valdemar books, on the other hand, just throw it in for drama; even though it is portrayed negatively, it still comes across as fetishized and is entirely unnecessary (the most glaring example being when Lackey decided that the answer to "What keeps my protagonist from reaching X in time?" was "GANG RAPE"). It doesn't accomplish anything that some other event couldn't have achieved.

Sadly the Valdemar usage is far more common than the Greatcoats usage, to the point that people react poorly by default, even ignoring possible personal experience.

Neurosis posted:

I don't think this is correct at all.

Edit: except maybe creepy literotica.

The Taming of the Shrew. Gone with the Wind. Dragonriders of Pern. An entire romance subgenre. 50 Shades, which was not intended to be as creepy as it is. News articles.

Not hard to find examples.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
pern is incredibly creepy

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

If you read Starship Troopers, you definitely need to read "The Forever War".

I read Starship Troopers and The Forever War in quick succession and the whiplash nearly took my neck off. Highly recommended.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

If you read Starship Troopers, you definitely need to read "The Forever War".

I've read it and loved it.

No Pants posted:

This is really nitpicky, but most of the Culture stories take place before 2100 CE. You are correct in that the setting isn't really connected to the world as we know it, since the humans in those books are aliens.

I've read Player of Games, Use of Weapons and Consider Phlebas. They were all good reads but The Culture isn't really my style I guess and I didn't have the desire to read more. I can definitely appreciate that it's a well written series if it is your type of thing though.

chrisoya posted:

There's always Seveneves, but that might be a disappointment after Aurora. Or before it, for that matter.

A bit of an info dump but I did enjoy it. I'm not sure if I'd like Neal Stephenson's other books though after looking into them a bit.

anilEhilated posted:

How about Embassytown? The caveat is that there's a lot of magical science and the actual science isn't exactly one you'd expect in a sci-fi, but it's a drat good book.

Sounds cool. I'll check it out, thanks.

savinhill posted:

Read the Germline series by TC McCarthy, Ian MacDonald's Sacrifice of Fools and River of Gods(his other stuff's probably good as well, I just haven't had a chance to read it yet), Thomas Sweterlitsch's Tomorrow and Tomorrow

Ah, I actually bought the Germline series a while back and for some reason forgot I had them. I really need to sort out my epub collection. I hadn't heard of the others though so I'll check them out.

I'm almost done with the Southern Reach trilogy and look forward to talking about it...but not until I finish it! I think I'm going to read Red Mars or Aurora next...

I just bought this trilogy (the Southern Reach) a couple days ago and was considering it for when I'm done Aurora. I'm always a bit disappointed though when I load up a book and see that it's so short. It's not a deal breaker or anything but I find that right as I'm really getting into the book it's over. From the sounds of it, it looks like you're enjoying it. Maybe I'll go with that next.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 26, 2015

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
drat it, that was on my "to read" list.

How well does the Lost Fleet series end? I quit after book 4 or 5 because I wanted the main character to die in a fire.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mars4523 posted:

Read Valdemar anyway. Lackey eventually grows out of it, and in the interim rape is at least deployed in a mostly gender neutral way.

Mars4523 posted:

How well does the Lost Fleet series end?
I don't know; I quit after book 4 or 5 because I wanted the main character to die in a fire.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

I like Valdemar with a very heavy dose of "my god those were some stupid moments." I'd still suggest trying them if the premise interested you already, just prepare for a fair bit of eye-rolling (and, in later books, desperately wanting an editor).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mars4523 posted:

How well does the Lost Fleet series end? I quit after book 4 or 5 because I wanted the main character to die in a fire.

Terribly. It's pretty much an interlude for the next series. Which is pretty much the same: ennui, poor motivation, and way too much sperging on support logistics.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The Red Mars audiobook is 24 hours *eyes bulging*

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

The Red Mars audiobook is 24 hours *eyes bulging*

Yikes. Half as long as the 1Q84 audio book.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Does Red Mars start in the future for like the intro chapter then jump backward?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Skip the first chapter!!!!!!!

I've said this so many goddamn times, skip thefirst chapter, read until Guns Under the Table, then go back and read the first chapter, THEN read Guns Under the Table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RtlpXsl8k

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

drat :( Skipping it now

edit: You sure it's just the first chapter? Chapter 2 has them still in the future...

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I dunno what the audiobook chapters are split into, sorry. The first section in the physical book is called Festival Nights, you want to skip that whole bit.

If it's too difficult to work out, don't worry about it.

PS is the narration good?

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 27, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Whatever happened to reading a book in the chapter order the author intended?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress does KSR know about the order in which the book should be read? gently caress him.

edit: This idea is even more annoying than people who go out of their way to read a long series of books not in the order that they were written.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Ten bucks some lovely editor made him move that chapter to the front because it has more action.

Make it a grand, that's how confident I am.

It is not the correct order.

You know what, I am hugely grateful to the person who told me to skip the first chapter. The loss of John Boone means so much more once you actually get to know him and the struggle.

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 27, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

withak posted:

What the gently caress does KSR know about the order in which the book should be read? gently caress him.

edit: This idea is even more annoying than people who go out of their way to read a long series of books not in the order that they were written.

I mean, I will accept reading long series of books in chronological order of the series's internal continuity as an acceptable alternative to order in which they were written, because order in which an author wrote books doesn't really imply reading order, but yeah, reading a book out of its own internal order is weird.

(That said, whatever, have fun, if you like reading out of order feel free.)

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I think anyone who has read Red Mars would at least agree that it makes sense to do as I have said.

All you're doing is putting the book back in chronological order and not having a major event spoiled for you.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ah yes, I also only watch Memento in chronological order. :downs:

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Except that Memento wouldn't work if put into chronological order, and Red Mars does work (the whole point being that it works better).

Don't argue if you haven't read it. I'm not saying that reading it as it is printed is bad, but it is certainly better the way I have described.

As I said, it was almost definitely an editor's decision. I'm basically being shouted down for doing a public service.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

thehomemaster posted:

As I said, it was almost definitely an editor's decision. I'm basically being shouted down for doing a public service.

your suggestion has been noted and criticised appropriately, now shut the gently caress up

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 27, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You guys sound real cool lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

thehomemaster posted:

Except that Memento wouldn't work if put into chronological order, and Red Mars does work (the whole point being that it works better).

Don't argue if you haven't read it. I'm not saying that reading it as it is printed is bad, but it is certainly better the way I have described.

I made a note next to Red Mars in my list of books to read to skip the first chapter and come back to it :shobon: Thanks for your service.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I read the book Seveneves. What a piece of poo poo!

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

The Golden Man posted:

I read the book Seveneves. What a piece of poo poo!

Which part? The first 2/3 of technosposition, the complete unbelievability of putting enough capital equipment up there to survive even with a larger work force, or the genetic and racial realism of the last 1/3? I'm willing to wave away the technical impossibility of that genetic engineering. CRISPR is giving us the ability to do something like that, but the genetic knowledge of personality traits and especially IQ isn't advanced enough and wouldn't grow without the base human stock to continue researching.

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 27, 2015

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I dont know it just sucked

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I bought Aurora instead of Seveneves. I feel like I'm winning 2015

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Sharp analysis.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Barbe Rouge posted:

holy loving poo poo

e: I actually feel a bit sick reading that

Relax, Anthony and his wife fed the kid supper and called his parents.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

To be fair, the first part of Red Mars confused the poo poo out of me and had no weight whatsoever. I finally got past it, but I could barely tell what was happening because it really did feel just 'out of order' rather than a good decision to move it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kalman posted:

I mean, I will accept reading long series of books in chronological order of the series's internal continuity as an acceptable alternative to order in which they were written, because order in which an author wrote books doesn't really imply reading order, but yeah, reading a book out of its own internal order is weird.

(That said, whatever, have fun, if you like reading out of order feel free.)

At one point I wanted to read the Vlad Taltos books, once they were all published, in internal chronological order, but I'll want someone else to figure out what that is.