Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Its a reference to Jerry Robinson, one of the Golden Age Batman artists. He was a Joker co-creator.

My bad- a weird place for it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SonicRulez posted:

That came into prominence when the New 52 was coming/hit. Barbara was restored as Batgirl and Stephanie was written completely out of the universe. Not to mention in any adaptation that has a Robin is going to be one of the boys. Dick or Tim being most likely. Any Batgirl is going to be Barbara. Steph (and Cass) has gotten the short end of the stick. It's just a really cool idea now that I'm thinking about it. Not a soul could have seen it coming, we would've gotten a female villain that wasn't dressed skimpy, there would finally be some attention for Stephanie Brown, and it would have justified the "We swear it's not Red Hood" bullshit.

But how will gamers know it's a woman if she's not dressed like she's going to the beach?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
And now that I think about it, It'd be funny to see a Who's on First situation from Steph being the mystery villain when the general public also has no idea who The Spoiler is either.

EDIT: In less joking terms, it'd also fit that the Arkham franchise exists as a nexus of old 52 continuity with the Killing Joke and Oracle still existing even in Knight. But there's probably contracts that Rocksteady signed with WB and DC that specifically say "No Cass or Steph at all".

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 26, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope their Batsuits are skins for Barbara.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Having suffered through NG+, there should be a mod (once the PC version actually works,of course) that replaces all the AK's Dialogue with this . He'd be instantly less obnoxious.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

VolticSurge posted:

Having suffered through NG+, there should be a mod (once the PC version actually works,of course) that replaces all the AK's Dialogue with this . He'd be instantly less obnoxious.

:lol: perfect. He's so angsty I'm shocked Linkin Park's Crawling didn't play every time he showed up.

Robin357Lazarus
Jul 5, 2008

Do side missions not provide waypoints to objectives? I just picked up Arkham Knight (never played any previous games in the series); I think I've been spoiled with games holding my hand.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Techniichan posted:

Do side missions not provide waypoints to objectives? I just picked up Arkham Knight (never played any previous games in the series); I think I've been spoiled with games holding my hand.

Some will (you'll get a notification about having Intel, and get directed to the location). A few of them have clues when you're in the area, like hearing opera music or radio chatter with thugs threatening someone.

Some you just have to find.

Robin357Lazarus
Jul 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some will (you'll get a notification about having Intel, and get directed to the location). A few of them have clues when you're in the area, like hearing opera music or radio chatter with thugs threatening someone.

Some you just have to find.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess that I'll have to stop being lazy and start being Batman.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you're looking for firemen you can find a lot of them by flying around the edges of the islands with detective vision on. The goon pattern around them is distinctive and usually static, and they chatter when you get within a couple yards.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Dogen posted:

If you're looking for firemen you can find a lot of them by flying around the edges of the islands with detective vision on. The goon pattern around them is distinctive and usually static, and they chatter when you get within a couple yards.

Same thing generally works with checkpoints. Watchtowers are pretty straightforward. Bonus is it's easier to see riddler informants from far away too.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah, goon-on-fireman and checkpoint silhouettes are pretty easy to pick out as they're relatively dense and static.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hexenritter posted:

checkpoint.... relatively dense

There is one exception to this rule in the late game that is probably my favorite checkpoint in the game.

"System Error? I'll just close that and hope nothing goes wrong!"

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

There is one exception to this rule in the late game that is probably my favorite checkpoint in the game.

"System Error? I'll just close that and hope nothing goes wrong!"

Screw the Arkham Knight. The Lonely Checkpoint Commander is the game's real breakout character. Dude deserves at least his own mini

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like the checkpoint that is just two guys hanging out too.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

HaitianDivorce posted:

Screw the Arkham Knight. The Lonely Checkpoint Commander is the game's real breakout character. Dude deserves at least his own mini

I now keep imagining Jason going on his whiny tirade,then BOOOM! His head ka-splodes! Then cut to the Loneliest Merc, AKA the REAL Arkham Knight, clutching a smoking shotgun while Bats recoils in horror and Joker goes "Ohhhh,that was anticlimactic." Or something like that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Nvidia comes out to say that they're pretty awesome and have pretty much rescued the PC port, no biggie, just doin' our jobs.

And GamesRadar sucks off Sefton Hill with the most softball interview ever. This is somehow not a pre-release interview.

Speaking of Sefton, he has broken a two-week silence on Twitter to provide the update AK players have been asking for.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 27, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There's a new W10 nvidia driver out last night that seems to be somewhat of an improvement, at least.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

redbackground posted:

Nvidia comes out to say that they're pretty awesome and have pretty much rescued the PC port, no biggie, just doin' our jobs.

Lol, "We know we absolutely were complicit in lying about PC performance but now we're really involved so look out!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

redbackground posted:

Speaking of Sefton, he has broken a two-week silence on Twitter to provide the update AK players have been asking for.

How did I know it would be about the Batmobile? :allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

redbackground posted:

That should be utterly embarrassing for the deveopers;

quote:

"I look at [Arkham Knight] as an example of where Nvidia can help a developer get to market with a quality game," Peterson said. "Warner Bros. ... made a few mistakes getting the game out. It wasn't fully performance optimized for PC. So now we're deploying our QA resources and our engineers to make that game as good as it possibly can be."

[...]

Peterson and his team's work should also benefit PC gamers who aren't running Nvidia hardware, he says.

"We're fixing a ton of things that are not necessarily related to us. Some of it may be related to our driver, some not. But at the end of the day the game is the focus and we're going to make it great."

I'm getting a lot more interested in this relationship that Nvidia is outlining. Are they really helping out of the good of their hearts?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nvidia is pretty invested in PC ports of graphically demanding games not being total crap.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How did I know it would be about the Batmobile? :allears:

This undocumented feature has sent me into the river a couple of times.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Levantine posted:

Lol, "We know we absolutely were complicit in lying about PC performance but now we're really involved so look out!"

Yeah, I'll believe this fixed the PC version when I loving see it. You can promise whatever you want, but talk is cheap.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It took me far too many tries, and there was no reason other than the completionist in me, but I finally loving three-starred "Slumdog Billionaire."

I hate the Batmobile and suck at everything involving it...still nowhere close to getting 3 stars on Drone Zone...best time is like 3:30.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I hate the Batmobile and suck at everything involving it...still nowhere close to getting 3 stars on Drone Zone...best time is like 3:30.

Is that the one where it's a race but you have to stop to blow up some drones? Assuming your batmobile is fully upgraded, don't get hit at the first two drone fight -zones, then use your 4-bar missile spam super on the last one.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

DrBouvenstein posted:

It took me far too many tries, and there was no reason other than the completionist in me, but I finally loving three-starred "Slumdog Billionaire."

If you can three star Slumdog Billionaire, you are quite good at Batmobile, and I'm sure you can beat Drone Zone.

Just know the track (and land the jumps), grab the time bonuses, drift around turns, and save all of your Secondary Weapons for the third grouping of enemies, at which point, you can missile barrage them all out of existence.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hav posted:

I'm getting a lot more interested in this relationship that Nvidia is outlining. Are they really helping out of the good of their hearts?

gently caress no they're not.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The fixed version sounds great, and I can't wait to play it!

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Mogomra posted:

The fixed version sounds great, and I can't wait to play it!

...in 2016!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Techniichan posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess that I'll have to stop being lazy and start being Batman.

Just a quick note, there are points where some of the side content gets gated behind story progress.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

During my second playthrough, I have to say knowing what's coming and that there's no escaping the Batmobile makes it a lot more tolerable. I've pretty much done all the fun stuff, and made it through the Cloudburst to drill tank slog, now I've just got the huge-rear end tank battle outside GCPD to get through, which shouldn't be as bad as my first playthrough since this time I've got a fully-upgraded Batmobile. I still don't like the Batmobile segments, but knowing where they're coming makes it easier to prepare myself for them.

However I've realized something that bugs me about the drill tank fight, besides the sheer ridiculousness of the whole thing. The entire fight is pointless. You lead the thing down all the tunnels, take its health bar down to zero, then Alfred opens the garage door for you and the thing reappears seemingly fine and destroys the Batmobile anyway. I mean, it's on fire and stuff, but it seems to still be working perfectly. Batman seemed to know the Batmobile wasn't getting out of that hole again at that point anyway, he could have abandoned the thing and just hid behind a box for five minutes until Alfred got the door open. It would have saved us all a bunch of trouble.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That boss fight does seem suspicious, especially given where it appears relative to other points in the progression of that location.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it's amazing that the Arkham Knight had a giant tank that was immune to Batman's weapons and can crush the Batmobile easily but decided to never use it until it didn't even matter anymore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The drill thing was the only actually fun Batmobile fight in the game imo, I love the ol Indiana Jones boulder chase when it shows up in video games.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

CJacobs posted:

The drill thing was the only actually fun Batmobile fight in the game imo, I love the ol Indiana Jones boulder chase when it shows up in video games.

You must be playing a different game from me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The drill thing was the only actually fun Batmobile fight in the game imo,
The lowest of bars.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I can see it being somewhat enjoyable if you somehow knew to use first person mode beforehand.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it stems from my enjoyment of the boulder chase levels in Crash Bandicoot way back in the day. I barely even like the batmobile and think it's a really unnecessary inclusion overall but it's still really not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I can see it being somewhat enjoyable if you somehow knew to use first person mode beforehand.

While first person helps in that it eliminates most of the slippery physics, you still need to know what you're doing to not die. That's my objection to that fight, is that a mistake is instantly fatal. It makes for frustrating gameplay.

EDIT: I liked the Cloudburst fight though, for comparison. If I screwed up I didn't instantly die.

• Locked thread