Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Why would you make the floor green.

Why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It kind of hilariously shows the problem with colored floor indicators for attacks and such too. Even ignoring the fact you'll probably have contrast issues if you do something on a red/green/whatever textured floor, there's the simple matter that even if they work fine for small scale 1:1 stuff there's no way to keep track of that poo poo when you have bosses layering multiple death fields down while 20-odd people dance around obscuring them. There's a reason why WoW eventually started having 3D effects for impending void zones and such, just to make sure they didn't get lost in the crowd. But that actually takes effort, so...

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah but like it's not just that fight. Forgemaster in Kel'Voreth had a orangey floor and sprayed red eruption graphics everywhere. And you LITERALLY had to use colorblind mode in skullcano because the floor was a perfect red color in some areas and that fight had red poo poo EVERYWHERE. It's like they intentionally color environments to be as obscuring as possible based on the fight.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
drat I forgot that I actually bought this game

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hILCb0H1s8

Please watch this 5-man dungeon boss with the sound on. This is wildstar.mpg

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

51 wipes in a 5 man? What kinda crap is that?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

30.5 Days posted:

Did they turn off all the animations or is Wildstar just a game comprised of dodging simple geometric shapes?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

theultimo posted:

51 wipes in a 5 man? What kinda crap is that?

That boss is obscenely hard. You have to beat him to raid. For a great deal of wildstar's lifespan, you had to beat the entire trash-choked dungeon within 45 minutes to raid.

People kept finding pixel-wide bits of rubble around the room where you could stand and the beams wouldn't hit you, not because getting up on it was easy or that it was a particularly good way to beat the boss, but because you needed to get your 20 man raid through the drat thing with only 2 wipes and the last 5 people it just couldn't be done. Doing some weird twitchy dance to climb up onto the scenery within 10 seconds before the beam killed you at the beginning of the fight was more likely to work than a real kill in 3 tries. At least when your plan is to glitch up the wall in the first 10 seconds, you die in the first 10 seconds if you fail and are back at the boss less than a minute later.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did they turn off all the animations or is Wildstar just a game comprised of dodging simple geometric shapes?

I'm not sure- they started working at the end of the video, and that never happened to me while I played. It was probably a dumb lovely bug.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't even have to look anything up to tell you are correct. This describes literally every MMO release in like the last five years.

Like, even the ones that ended up reasonable successful did this. It happens 100% of the time.

FFXIV is actually a notable abstainer from that trend. FFXIV numbers were high at launch (but not astronomical) and they've just kept going up since.

It's odd that people seem to forget the #2 MMO at the moment in their grandiose 'All MMOs do X' statements.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SerCypher posted:

FFXIV numbers were high at launch (but not astronomical) and they've just kept going up since.
Relaunch. :v:

Which is actually kind of important to keep in mind. The initial launch of FFXIV 1.0 was an abominable clusterfuck, but Square-Enix of all people went out of their way to bend over backwards in apology and spent months rebuilding the game from the ground up, taking great care to make it as polished and accessible as possible. And it actually paid off in the end! There's no reason Wildstar couldn't do the same and I'd argue it has a much better base of code and art assets to start from... but doing a successful relaunch/F2P launch would require an investment of time and money that NCSoft is unlikely to give, and more importantly, would require the developers to be competent and understand how to make a good game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh I just wanted everyone to remember that navigating a narrow path in wildstar takes a lot of like, uhhh... I guess discipline? Because if you're making micro-adjustments on your keyboard too quickly, you might tap the same button twice in a row and fling yourself into danger, including into the giant lava chasm in the middle, causing you to instantly die. Also, that beam turns fast enough that you can't run very far from the center without falling behind so you have to run along the rim of the crater whenever possible.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Basically what I'm saying is that skullcano was like either super dumb or some crazy performance art or maybe the actual final boss of wildstar and I'm still mad about it.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
You are correct though. Dodging being activated Unreal-style is a terrible loving idea in a game where you frequently have to make small and rapid adjustments (say, near a cliff), a thing that really does not come up in a fast-paced shooter where you're teleporting and dodging off the walls.

I disabled double-tap dodging (and I played UT a gently caress of a lot and got good a dodging and still thought it was a garbage idea in WS) and rebound it to middle mouse. Worked a lot better.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Asimo posted:

The initial launch of FFXIV 1.0 was an abominable clusterfuck, but Square-Enix of all people went out of their way to bend over backwards in apology and spent months rebuilding the game from the ground up, taking great care to make it as polished and accessible as possible. And it actually paid off in the end! There's no reason Wildstar couldn't do the same

Actually, there are a number of reasons why Wildstar might struggle to make the same conversion, were its publisher even willing to pour the money in.

It's a completely new IP with no predecessors - while FFXIV has managed to capture a number of players new to the series, it's also pretty reliant on its pedigree. Just look in the FFXIV thread and see the number of people swooning every time the game makes a callback or reference to previous games and you'll see.

A reboot of FFXIV was therefore justified internally, and to shareholders, as defending the integrity of the Final Fantasy name - not my words, but the words of the then-director of SE's digital entertainment division, which oversees its games. Essentially, SE was concerned that the absolute shitpile that was FFXIV 1.0 would damage sales of future FF releases, so it bit the bullet and redeveloped the game, incurring massive dev costs in the process.

NCsoft has been putting money into Wildstar for close to seven years now, with little to nothing to show for it. You can see how the (especially institutional) investors might be getting antsy.

SerCypher posted:

FFXIV numbers were high at launch (but not astronomical) and they've just kept going up since.

It's odd that people seem to forget the #2 MMO at the moment in their grandiose 'All MMOs do X' statements.

This myth continues to persist. Thankfully, SE (in a break from tradition) broke out MMO performance figures from its normal blanket reporting of all digital entertainment income this year, so we know how much FFXIV has been growing, and the answer is: it's actually been pretty stagnant since launch.

Have a look at the financial report for this past year:
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/15q4slides.pdf

In particular, direct your attention to slide 17. You'll see that FFXIV brought SE's MMO division from 2 to 6 billion yen in the quarter it launched. The next quarter, Dragon Quest launched and took it to 7 billion, but the division then dived to below 5b in the last quarter, clawed its way back up to around 6b, and has been floating around that figure for an entire year. The MMO division's revenue is currently actually lower than it was at FFXIV's launch.

In contrast, mosey on down to the next slide (18). You'll see that in the same timeframe (from ARR launch to today) the smartphone games division went from 6 billion to 16 billion and shows no signs of slowing down or stopping.

FFXIV's reboot is a nice game, but we should be able to talk about its performance with actual figures and grounded arguments instead of hyperbole. It's not the #2 MMO at this moment, nor is it ever likely to be. There are swathes of Chinese MMOs making ten times the amount of money it's making, and even in the Western market alone its revenue and playerbase is eclipsed by plenty of other titles.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 27, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

theultimo posted:

Yeah it doesn't look like fun

I don't disagree with that, but that particular screenshot is a world boss that one person can heal, yet for some reason 6+ healers seem to be spamming their AOE heals as hard as possible while everyone is at full health.

Basically someone went out of their way to make that screenshot look awful. Or the healers got really bored, because there is gently caress all to heal in that encounter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SerCypher posted:

FFXIV is actually a notable abstainer from that trend. FFXIV numbers were high at launch (but not astronomical) and they've just kept going up since.

You are the talking about the game that was so abominable that it would have been scrapped if it didn't have the "Final Fantasy" name and required a complete rework from the ground up to transform into a tolerable experience? Is that the game you are talking about?

FFXIV proves the trend harder than most other MMO's ever could. Not counting the original launch is either disingenuous or stupid.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Chomp8645 posted:

You are the talking about the game that was so abominable that it would have been scrapped if it didn't have the "Final Fantasy" name and required a complete rework from the ground up to transform into a tolerable experience? Is that the game you are talking about?

FFXIV proves the trend harder than most other MMO's ever could. Not counting the original launch is either disingenuous or stupid.

There are so many goons who will fall on their Internet swords for that game and get super defensive when you bring up that fact. Final Fantasy just does weird things to people.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey guys just wanted to drop the amazing news that Elders Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited has only been up and up since launch. You may have heard of its predecessor game, Elder Scrolls Online, which had high initial numbers but then bled subs. However the sequel (Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited), which I remind you is a wholly distinct game and really not at all related if you think about it, has only gained subs since launch. Quite an amazing game that bucks the MMO trend!

- SerCypher

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Err... yeah, I am.

Is that something to be ashamed about? It's good now, so I play it now. I tried it at 1.0 launch and it was bad, so I didn't play it then. I don't really get why that's a negative, they learned from their mistakes (unlike wildstar)

Also to someone who said FFXIV is not the second biggest MMO atm, I think that depends on how you define that category. I agree that flavor of the week cashgrab MMOs (especially in asia) can make more money than it in the short term. However FFXIV manages to keep up a subscription model (also unlike wildstar), when most others seem to be able to sustain that for a year at most.

Though what actually qualifies as an MMORPG is a loaded question atm, since there are lots of games that are bridging categories. Is TF2 an MMO? Is LoL? There is crafting, trading, and improving characters. The only difference is when you're not doing stuff you're in a lobby, not a tavern.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys just wanted to drop the amazing news that Elders Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited has only been up and up since launch. You may have heard of its predecessor game, Elder Scrolls Online, which had high initial numbers but then bled subs. However the sequel (Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited), which I remind you is a wholly distinct game and really not at all related if you think about it, has only gained subs since launch. Quite an amazing game that bucks the MMO trend!

- SerCypher

Nah FFXIV had poo poo subs the moment it started.

I'm solely talking about A Realm Reborn, which is for all intents and purposes, a completely different game. I'm not sure why you think the concept of 'Making a game better' is some sort of crazy, disingenuous plot.

It was bad, they spent the time and money to make it better, and admitted that they hosed up (profusely, I might add). I'm not sure what there is to mock, besides their initial incompetence.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know what you are going on about. I made a claim that all MMO's start with high numbers, lose a bunch of people almost immediately, and then slowly ramp up over time (hopefully). You tried to use FFXIV as a counter example. But it's not a counter example so I made fun of you. Your last two posts are unrelated to that so they don't make any sense. You are nonsensically responding to points I never made instead of what we were originally talking about.

Basically, when it comes to your posts....

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

shut up idiots

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

SerCypher posted:

Also to someone who said FFXIV is not the second biggest MMO atm, I think that depends on how you define that category. I agree that flavor of the week cashgrab MMOs (especially in asia) can make more money than it in the short term. However FFXIV manages to keep up a subscription model (also unlike wildstar), when most others seem to be able to sustain that for a year at most.

It's not the second-biggest MMO in the world by any reasonable definition, I'm afraid. In both subscriber numbers and revenue, World of Warcraft and Lineage 1 have FFXIV thoroughly licked.

Lineage 1, in particular, is a monster that refuses to die. It, alone, took in more money last year than Square Enix's entire MMO division. And it's a game from 1998, so - sustained over the (very) long term, and not a cashgrab.

Nexon is still operating a game from 1996 (Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds) as a subscription title, and profitably. Don't dismiss the Asian MMO titles as flavour-of-the-month cashgrabs. Some of these games will probably outlive World of goddamn Warcraft.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kessel posted:

Lineage 1, in particular, is a monster that refuses to die. It, alone, took in more money last year than Square Enix's entire MMO division. And it's a game from 1998, so - sustained over the (very) long term, and not a cashgrab.

Holy lmao is this true? It's insane that to think that Lineage 1 still exists much less is a major player on the market.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It doesn't exist here.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The only thing worse than these games is goons posting about them

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy lmao is this true? It's insane that to think that Lineage 1 still exists much less is a major player on the market.

Lineage 1:
1Q15 66024m KRW
4Q14 96711
3Q14 68514
2Q14 74746
Total 305995m KRW -> 261.95 million USD

SE's MMO division:
6 billion yen per quarter -> 48.673 million USD
x4 = 194.692 million USD

now you understand why ncsoft and nexon often don't give a flying gently caress about the Western market

Kessel fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 27, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm having flashbacks to when Lineage 2 was #2 on that MMO subscription ranking website and WoW had just launched. Yes the numbers are insane, but who cares - only people with brain damage are going to play these games in the "West" because they're even worse than the usual terrible MMO of the year.

ie.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This is the Wildstar thread. Need I say more?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

orcane posted:

who cares - only people with brain damage are going to play these games

This is the Wildstar thread. Need I say more?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"The posting in the Wildstar thread is bad and somehow I find this surprising and/or inappropriate."

- A Goon

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

orcane posted:

I'm having flashbacks to when Lineage 2 was #2 on that MMO subscription ranking website and WoW had just launched. Yes the numbers are insane, but who cares - only people with brain damage are going to play these games in the "West" because they're even worse than the usual terrible MMO of the year.

The western Lineage market would rather play MOBAs these days.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Pages without people jerking off over FFXIV: 0

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Unguided posted:

The western Lineage market would rather play MOBAs these days.

I agree MOBAs are equally terrible.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

How many developers have jumped onto the MOBA cashgrab development wagon by this point, anyway? Sixty million?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Chomp8645 posted:

"The posting in the Wildstar thread is bad and somehow I find this surprising and/or inappropriate."

- A Goon

lol

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

orcane posted:

I agree MOBAs are equally terrible.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

orcane posted:

I agree Wildstar is terrible.

Anoia posted:

Pages without people jerking off in FFXIV: 0